Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

where is the percentage used on new DVR?

New Poster

where is the percentage used on new DVR?

Hi,

Today a tech came out to resolve an issue, and among other things, he ended up installing a new DVR box. The only ting I can see identifying the box is where it has XG1-A on the front. He said it was th brand new typw that didn't really have a hard drive, it was more like my thin MAC AIR laptop computer, and that most or all of the storage woukd be in the cloud, and in fact that I would have more storage avaiable than before. More than I had on the old box which we have used for a couple of years maybe. But here is my question: Where is the indicator that- when I go to saved recordings- tells me how much storage I have left?

I was surprised to see that all of my recordings wee still there after getting a new box, always lost those with a new box before, I guess they were already in the cloud. But is there an indicator of how many more I can record before itstarts deleting?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Expert

Re: where is the percentage used on new DVR?

@BillyBob63 wrote:

Hi,

Today a tech came out to resolve an issue, and among other things, he ended up installing a new DVR box. The only ting I can see identifying the box is where it has XG1-A on the front. He said it was th brand new typw that didn't really have a hard drive, it was more like my thin MAC AIR laptop computer, and that most or all of the storage woukd be in the cloud, and in fact that I would have more storage avaiable than before. More than I had on the old box which we have used for a couple of years maybe. But here is my question: Where is the indicator that- when I go to saved recordings- tells me how much storage I have left?

I was surprised to see that all of my recordings wee still there after getting a new box, always lost those with a new box before, I guess they were already in the cloud. But is there an indicator of how many more I can record before itstarts deleting?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

most of what he said is wrong. if you see XG1 on the front or on model number label it is an X1 DVR with a hard drive (local storage). the X1 DVR service includes a cloud DVR (apps and web site can access its recordings) and if your DVR (new) does not have the actual recordings can play the cloud recordings through your X1 devices. The audio will be in only stereo on those recordings. you can tell the source of a recording while playing one on X1 equipment by hitting the OK button while playing. in the upper left local recordings that played from the DVR show "DVR" while cloud recordings being played back will show the little white cloud icon before the letters "DVR". the cloud DVR has the last 60 hours (per DVR) of recordings.

New Poster

OK, thanks. I don't know exactly what kind I have, other than the XG1-A on the front. However, I have found the % full indicator. It popped up after I added a couple of more recordings. Apparently, my 24 recordings- which had shown about 35% full on the previous machine, were not enough to show anything on the new machine. And after adding a couple of recordings, it now manages to show 1% full. Which must mean I now have a gigantic new hardrive, or it is all or most being stored in the cloud. I think the tech also told me the available cloud was much larger than I had with my old DVR. Either way, it appears that what used up 35% of my avilable storage on the old system now uses up 1% of it. That is nice!

Official Employee

Not exactly how it works

You have a 500GB hard drive ( same as the previous one.
Your 60 hours or less of recordings from the original dvr are from the cloud and don’t take up hard drive space. That’s why nothing should until you made a recording. Just a warning, every recording that you make and those original cloud recordings will eventually disappear