Community Forum

what happened to Xfinity search ability?

New Poster

what happened to Xfinity search ability?

We used to be able to search for any shows for upcoming times to record. Now the search often doesn't pick up shows that are even scheduled for the evening. Case in point, the Charlie Brown specials, that I used to search ahead of time to record for my kids. Just happened to see in the newspaper today it's on tonight but when I search using the XR11 voice activiated remote, only the "buy/rent" options come up.  I can see it on the channel  guide and I am going to record it. But unless I google it ahead of time, these shows never show up on a search and we miss them (and they are not on demand after).  Ditto other holiday movies on AMC and movies on the Indie channel. Have talked to tech at Comcast, advanced tech, etc., have run all kinds of diagnostics and no one knows what's going on.  I think it's being blacked out as a search item and don't understand why, other than to force people into paying for a program that's free on a nationally broadcasted channel (ABC).  Weirdly, the shows before and after show up on a search.

Official Employee

Re: what happened to Xfinity search ability?

Hi @mdbam,

I would love to try and help you with this issue.  Would you be willing to give me a little more information.  When you voice search for Charlie Brown, are you brought to the show's page within X1 and the only options for watching are Buy/Rent?  I'm just trying to clarify to help teams on our side reproduce and triage.

Thanks

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

That is exactly correct.  That also happened in November, when we searched for and never found the Thanksgiving Charlie Brown, which we then missed.  Also has occurred with holiday movies--just searched for the holiday movie, Christmas in Connecticut.  I know that it's airing this weekend on both TMC and AMC.  But a search shows the next time it's on Xfinity is on 12/17 on Sundance.  So it doesn't even show that it's on this weekend on 2 other channels.  And for some reason, the Charlie Brown shows are never showing up as airing at all--even though they are, since one just aired tonight.

Silver Problem Solver

The change to the search function is a downgrade, IMHO.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

@mdbam as it turns out there are actually two versions of the Charlie Brown special in our system.  One that is for purchase and rental which is only 25 minutes long and a special that airs on ABC that is 60 minutes long that has some additional content.  Our voice platform was incorrectly always pointing users to the shorter version.  We are working with that team to resolve that.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@RobertWy  Thank you for the feedback, we're sorry that you are experiencing a degraded experience.  We would love to hear some additional feedback about the feature you are using specifically and what you find challenging about it, so that we can incorporate those considerations in future changes.  Are you referring to full screen text search, mini search with the keypad on the remote, or voice search?

Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastWilliam wrote:

@RobertWy  Thank you for the feedback, we're sorry that you are experiencing a degraded experience.  We would love to hear some additional feedback about the feature you are using specifically and what you find challenging about it, so that we can incorporate those considerations in future changes.  Are you referring to full screen text search, mini search with the keypad on the remote, or voice search?

I tried it again last night; my mistake.  I think the new search is better than the old one.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!