Community Forum

slow responding remote

Regular Visitor

slow responding remote

We recently just switched over to the X1 voice remote and DVR.

I have had comcast for the last 10 years with no problem.

However, now the remote is so slow responding to my entries that I am pushing the button and litterly put the remote down and wait for it to respond. When I am trying to stop the fast forward motion it will not work unitl I am way into the next part of the show that I want to watch and then I have to rewind and the same thing happens. Can I go back to the old remote? Anyone else have any problems?

Regular Contributor

Re: slow responding remote

It's not the remote, it's the X1 system. The commands go out across the internet and back down.  You may have signal issues, a Comcast rep can help diagnose that, but the trick play performance, especially in On-Demand, is not very good at the best of times.

kelez wrote:

However, now the remote is so slow responding to my entries that I am pushing the button and litterly put the remote down and wait for it to respond. When I am trying to stop the fast forward motion it will not work unitl I am way into the next part of the show that I want to watch and then I have to rewind and the same thing happens. Can I go back to the old remote? Anyone else have any problems?

kelez wrote:

Official Employee

Hello kelez, the information that (MrScott1) provided is correct. Your remote is working properly, but your equipment could be having poor signal quality. I can check further into this for you and get the problem taken care of, first I will need to verify your account information. Can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me"?

Valued Contributor

Wow, so you are saying that the X1 system is that slow??  I have heard that a signal sent to the moon does not return until 2.7 seconds have elapsed.  So is that where all the signals of the X1 system are going or further out in the so called cloud????   I have noticed this same issue many times with the x1 system over the last several months. 

Gold Problem Solver

Absolutely not.

What people are trying to tell you (and has been discussed in this forum countless times before) is that X1 boxes require much better signal quality than any previous platform.

When X1 boxes are slow to respond to the remote that often means there is an incoming or outgoing signal problem that may require a Comcast tech visit to sort out.

fedup978 wrote:

Wow, so you are saying that the X1 system is that slow??  I have heard that a signal sent to the moon does not return until 2.7 seconds have elapsed.  So is that where all the signals of the X1 system are going or further out in the so called cloud????   I have noticed this same issue many times with the x1 system over the last several months. 

Valued Contributor

Rick, I fully understand that comcast has  signal issues given what I went through for over a year with techs at my new house every week.  I got to know all of them very well  along with their supervisors.  It came down to the node that I am on as the issue, but comcast has yet to totally fix the node.  If X1 is that sensitive to signals it sure has got to be causing them big time with customer satisfaction and wonder what their game plan is to resolve it.  

Gold Problem Solver

When X1 boxes have a solid connection to the Comcast network they are not slow. On Thanksgiving I was at a family members house that is a die hard DirecTV fan. His TVs took MUCH longer to change channels than my X1 does. There was nothing special about the picture quality either.

Seek out and contact your local cable TV commission. I am not sure about this but from what I understand if you file a complaint with your local cable TV commission, Comcast MUST respond to them.

Back in 2004, I bought a newer house in an older neighborhood. I had tons of problems with Comcast TV and internet. Nothing happened until I filed a complaint with the local cable commission. Ends up that Comcast had a bunch of out of date gear servicing my neighborhood. It took six months but it finally got fixed.

fedup978 wrote:

Rick, I fully understand that comcast has  signal issues given what I went through for over a year with techs at my new house every week.  I got to know all of them very well  along with their supervisors.  It came down to the node that I am on as the issue, but comcast has yet to totally fix the node.  If X1 is that sensitive to signals it sure has got to be causing them big time with customer satisfaction and wonder what their game plan is to resolve it.  

Valued Contributor

Rick, Thanks for that info.  I had gone to our State Dept of Telecommunications to log a complaint and it got attention but we still have issues in our area.  I was told that whole node is overloaded in my area and that they are continuing to work  on it.  Someday it will be done, but they have not provided any defined time.   I came from a FIOS area in another part of the state, which I still have, where we had comcast before.  At that location comcast were always blaming the cabling at our house.  When FIOS came in they used the same cabling that we had in our house for comcast and in six years we have never had any issues with TV, Phone or Internet under FIOS.  That is the kind of service that I am looking for  from Comcast here at this location.  So far they have not been able to match what we get from FIOS.  I just wish that FIOS was in this area.  BTW they also provide more channels  at a lower price, in order to get the same channels I would have to add another package which would add so much more to our bill.  More info then needed but just so you know where I am coming from.

Official Employee

fedup978, I would like to look into this for you and alert the correct department if there is an issue with your node or the hardware in your neighborhood. Please send me a private message with your account information and we can get started. 

New Poster

X1 is very slow... on occasion.

I may have set a record for tech visits.  I am fairly sure the details of my experience are unique, but no one wants to read them and there isn't room here anyway.

Each tech has been critical of the previous tech's work and information.  Each tech has told me I have a great signal at the street... a great signal entering my home... and very good to great signals at each of four outlets.  70% of the time, the service is outstanding.  It's expensive, but I'm guilty of not caring about the expense when it works.  30% of the time, it's awful.  It makes no sense to me how it comes and goes.  

Speaking to Comcast is similar to having root canal during a colonoscopy.  I don't want to.  VERY nice, very polite people who have all gone through the same 'customer handling' training, and all Comcast customers know there's 45 minutes up front while you re-tell the problem for the xxth time.  I don't want to.

Each phone rep makes it crystal clear the problem is in my home.  It is not.  My home has been evaluated by multiple Comcast techs and two electricians.  No more tech visits for me.  

I believe the 'resoning' of a signal problem, but it is outside my home and apparently has no urgency at all.  My solution: Wean myself off cable and get familiar with other sources of television entertainment.  I'm off to a good start and should be there soon.

And another thing, although I don't think it matters regarding the issue: my bill is certainly not based on 70% satisfaction.  And... within that 70% there's a 50% disappointment factor.  Yes, the cable is working, but I can't watch a game on an HD channel due to heavy pixellation (and horrible audio) so I have to look for the game on a SD channel.  That's not what I'm paying for.  Therefore, frustration is high.  Truly, there are very few days where "X1" means a thing around here.  Every time we pick up the remote, we cringe a little and show surprise on our faces when it's working as advertised.

So, slow remote?  You betcha.  But it's true that it's not the remote: it's the signal.  However, the root of the problem is who at Comcast really gives a &#$*.

New Poster

I have the same problem. It's extremely aggravating. And it isn't my connection. The video works fine. My internet works fine. But I dare you to try and pause/rewind/fast-forward to review a certain scene. iI's impossible. I can hit the play/pause button as fast as I can and it goes about 10 seconds. And then we get into the general issues of slow response when I just go to the menu or the guide or something.
Expert

@andresc64 wrote:
I have the same problem. It's extremely aggravating. And it isn't my connection. The video works fine. My internet works fine. But I dare you to try and pause/rewind/fast-forward to review a certain scene. iI's impossible. I can hit the play/pause button as fast as I can and it goes about 10 seconds. And then we get into the general issues of slow response when I just go to the menu or the guide or something.

when you are having the issue, call 800-Comcast and select TV. ask the agent to check your signal levels and schedule a service call if needed.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Re: slow responding remoteI ju

I recently upgraded to the latest xfinity with the voice remote and immediately encountered the same remote input lag problem as described in this thread. I had resigned myself to the inevitable string of technician visits and an ultimately incurable problem. After numerous prompts asking if I was really sure I didn’t want to program the remote to operate my TV, I caved in and did it. And while I was at it, I programmed it to operate my sound bar. After completing that procedure, the remote had somehow undergone some kind of mutation and operated the on screen guide and other tools with no lag whatsoever. Needless to say I’m leaving every setting as it is for fear of reversing the fix. By the way, my coaxial cables are at least a decade old or more, so it’s not like I have a brand new system. I did, however, recently install a new 960 Mbps modem and a dual band router that runs 600 Mbps over 2.4G.