Community Forum

slow remote response...

New Poster

slow remote response...

hi...two weeks ago, I have been experiencing extremely slow reponse from my control...the only solution so far is power cycling the xfinity "box", then all becomes normal again...but again the same happens at the next day...can someone help?...thanks...

Silver Problem Solver

Re: slow remote response...

@raycurras wrote:

hi...two weeks ago, I have been experiencing extremely slow reponse from my control...the only solution so far is power cycling the xfinity "box", then all becomes normal again...but again the same happens at the next day...can someone help?...thanks...

Did you try with new batteries?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Same problem on my main box and my secondary box very slow to respond and yes batteries were checked
Diamond Problem Solver

Batteries in your remote have little to do with it. When X1 boxes are slow to respond it generally means there’s a signal issue. Check all of your connections and if you think you need a tech out let us know

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

If restarting the box solves the problem (even for one day) the issue is not likely with the signal.  I'm seeing the same issue and need to restart the dvr just about every day.

Diamond Problem Solver

You shouldn’t have to restart it at all. That’s where signal issues come in to play (or equipment issues).

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

Too many of my friends are having this same problem. We can't all be having "signal issues". Did Comcast put out some kind of X-1 update recently???

Contributor

@dadgren wrote:

Too many of my friends are having this same problem. We can't all be having "signal issues". Did Comcast put out some kind of X-1 update recently???

this. it's been insufferable for about a week. something changed and it's slows everything down

New Poster

Same issue ever since I got the box. The one that causes the problem is the subsidiary box. I restart it every other day. Internet search reveals this is a problem that has been going on for years.
Silver Problem Solver

@Erleb wrote:
Same issue ever since I got the box. The one that causes the problem is the subsidiary box. I restart it every other day. Internet search reveals this is a problem that has been going on for years.

Do new batteries make a difference?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Problem Solver

Batteries make no difference, it is easy enough to check battery levels in "remote settings". Mine are 90% and I still have slow responce time from remote control.

Silver Problem Solver

@dadgren wrote:

Batteries make no difference, it is easy enough to check battery levels in "remote settings". Mine are 90% and I still have slow responce time from remote control.

Distance from the STB can be an issue.

New Poster

Im having same issue with slow remote, also when I change volume, screen loses picture and come back on in a few seconds.

Diamond Problem Solver

It’s been posted a lot because it’s a common issue. Your secondary box needs solid communication from your main box (with no interference). If there’s interference you’ll have slow response. Have you ever had a tech out?

New Poster

I'm having the same issue started 9/2
Regular Contributor

I had this problem on my XG2 last night. Delay of two to three seconds before the box reacted to the commands from the remote.

There were no issues with the main XG1v4 DVR during the same time period though.

I unplugged the power to the XG2 for a couple of minutes. When the box was powered back on, it was fine.
Official Employee

Hello, all! Thank you for reaching out here. Sorry to hear about the issues with the delayed responses on the cable boxes. As CCAndrew suggested, this is likely an issue with the signal. If you continue to run into any issues, please feel free to send us a PM with your first and last name! We're happy to troubleshoot further with you. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

Appreciate the suggestion.

Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote:

@dadgren wrote:

Distance from the STB can be an issue.

Appreciate the suggestion but in my case the remote is always 3 feet away from the box. Maximum of 4 feet at times. Some days the remote works fine other day it is pitiful.

Official Employee

Hi there, all!

Have any of you tried picking up a new remote at our service center to try? 

They are free of charge. 

Thanks for posting!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Valued Contributor

It happens all the time with the remotes sometimes worse than other times.  It has been reported and reported to comcast but it is another issue that you will just have to live with, from what I was told.  I hate to say that but...

New Poster

I have started to experience this issue as well and it is making me crazy!  The batteries are definitely not it and strangely when watching Netflix, it does seem to be a problem.  That tells me it must be something with Comcast and the signal????  UGH!!!

Silver Problem Solver

@ls1810 wrote:

I have started to experience this issue as well and it is making me crazy!  The batteries are definitely not it and strangely when watching Netflix, it does seem to be a problem.  That tells me it must be something with Comcast and the signal????  UGH!!!

Any chance  you do not have clear line-of-sight to the X1 box?

Contributor

Yesterday, saw delayed responses for onscreen guide/menus starting yesterday on one of two XG1s (same HW). . Delays of maybe 2--5 seconds for guide & menus, not play controls I believe. Checked remote, tried alternative, no diff. Checked system menus (exit hold, 2x down arrow, 2) & tho no expert on stats here saw no diff in usual signal #s, sys version, errors etc. from usual. 2nd XG1 did not see this issue on 2nd XG1 & sys menu info aligned too. Today, same thing. Nothing new except monthly sys init occurred last nt. Reboot resolved. Reporting as think this is potential for non remote/single site signal etc. issue. Thx. Have not checked other TV STBs yet tho
New Poster

i recently got xfinity / comcast TV service, and it is a miserable experience to watch tv - all because of the incredibly slow response to almost every command on the remote. Impossible to navigate smoothly to where i want to go - to go to a station, to go to my recordings and get to the one i want to watch, to go backwared / forward when watching something from DVR, etc. All comcast support support could tell me was check battery (100%) and distance from tv/comcast box - always less then 3 feet away. no way either of those are the issues. Obviously as others have pointed out there is something wrong with the entire xfinity / comcast system...  

Frequent Visitor

All of this has nothing/zero to do with the remote (or the batteries)!

It has to do with the communications of the box going out, and the request coming back in.

Yes, I have my signal checked and yes, it was "low" as per the technician that came out ( yes a real Comcast tech, not a 3rd party contractor), because the X1 box was almost every 2/3rd day was rebooting, and getting stuck in the boot loop, and he made "adjustments" and he said the signal was better, and it cleared up the booting issues, but the grid guide was still coming up after after about 5/10 seconds. Channel call up once selected come up fine and quick, it's the grid guide that is lagging.

They changed something in the last month or two, and it's not the batteries in the remote!

Silver Problem Solver

@carlestes wrote:

All of this has nothing/zero to do with the remote (or the batteries)!

It has to do with the communications of the box going out, and the request coming back in.

Yes, I have my signal checked and yes, it was "low" as per the technician that came out ( yes a real Comcast tech, not a 3rd party contractor), because the X1 box was almost every 2/3rd day was rebooting, and getting stuck in the boot loop, and he made "adjustments" and he said the signal was better, and it cleared up the booting issues, but the grid guide was still coming up after after about 5/10 seconds. Channel call up once selected come up fine and quick, it's the grid guide that is lagging.

They changed something in the last month or two, and it's not the batteries in the remote!

Do you have clear line-of-sight to the STB IR receiver?

Frequent Visitor

I believe the X1 remote is RF, not IR...so I can be in the other room and the remote works fine thank you...

Contributor

@carlestes wrote:

Channel call up once selected come up fine and quick, it's the grid guide that is lagging.

This. 

A thousand times this.

It's not batteries or line of sight or are you holding it in your left of right hand or do you hold your breath while depressing a button.

SOMETHING changed to make the guide lag. On Demand selections come to a crawl. Heaven forbid you press the Xfinity button and try to call up your recording, you can make a sandwich while waiting

Frequent Visitor

I have 3 folks here at work that are having the exact same issue. reeeal slow grid loading,

and every person I have talked to/been at their home, and yuppers, slooow grid loading.

Different towns/counties.

I think they changed the bandwidth/protocol? on something to remove some bandwidth, and may be reallocating it for something else? New security system they are pushing?

Has zero to do with the remote/batteries. It's Comcast, "poking the bowl of jello, and we are feeling the ripples..."

Period.

New Poster

I just recently got a DVR Box after having had basic cable with just limited DVR for a few months. Yesterday the slow remote response was driving us nuts. Impossible to control  fast forward and play without some missed programming, etc. My guess is the signal is mediocre for some reason? If it continues I will call on Monday.

New Poster

We've had this problem for quite a while. I think it is a Comcast network issue, by which I include their video servers as it is time of day sensitive. Our remote was unusable late last night but very zippy first thing this morning

Frequent Visitor

@jere48 wrote:

We've had this problem for quite a while. I think it is a Comcast network issue, by which I include their video servers as it is time of day sensitive. Our remote was unusable late last night but very zippy first thing this morning

And what is Comcast's response to this phenomenon?

Frequent Visitor

Same problem. I've been sitting on the same sofa for 4 years and it hasn't moved. So the distance (less than 10 feet) is not the problem.
I have noticed a pop-up telling me to hit info for more info on the music channel I'm watching that freezes out the remote and stays there for a very annoying 15 seconds. This could be part of the problem.
Contributor

This problem has only been for the past two days here (in Sacramento, CA area.) We also have the orange 'data' light on, as do a lot of others. 

Does anyone else have a constant orange data light stuck on and a slow remote? (There is a long thread in the forumon the data light... no resolution.)

I'm rebooting the XG1A (or is it Pace XG1v1) box now. Maybe that will work. I'll report back... takes a while for it to boot.

Frequent Visitor

@Al8041 wrote:

This problem has only been for the past two days here (in Sacramento, CA area.) We also have the orange 'data' light on, as do a lot of others. 

Does anyone else have a constant orange data light stuck on and a slow remote? (There is a long thread in the forumon the data light... no resolution.)

I'm rebooting the XG1A (or is it Pace XG1v1) box now. Maybe that will work. I'll report back... takes a while for it to boot.

Not constant, but anytime I try to use the voice command, it takes at least 2 attepmts to get it to "connect", always says "not working right now, try again later"....sigh.....

They did some update to the boxes/system that is at the root of the issue(s)......

Contributor

They did some update to the boxes/system that is at the root of the issue(s)......

I have to agree with the above. 

Has Comcast/Xfinity acknowledged the slow-remote issue either here or elsewhere? Do they even know about it?

Frequent Visitor

@Al8041 wrote:

Has Comcast/Xfinity acknowledged the slow-remote issue either here or elsewhere? Do they even know about it?

Evidently not.

When you are the "Big Dog" on the block......

Silver Problem Solver

@carlestes wrote:

@Al8041 wrote:

Evidently not.

When you are the "Big Dog" on the block......

I have four X1 boxes and none of them have exhibited a "slow response".

It may be limited to specific regions/areas.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/status-map/

Contributor

I rebooted (powered on/off)  the main cable  box yesterday morning and the slow remote problem went away. It could have been fixed by the update the night beofre or by the reboot. Who knows.

Regular Visitor

Me too. Totally frustrating!

New Poster

Has this issue been resolved? Looks like it is systemic across all of comcast. I'm experiencing 3-4 second delayed reaction from a button press to a response on the tv.
Expert

@Mike102065 wrote:
Has this issue been resolved? Looks like it is systemic across all of comcast. I'm experiencing 3-4 second delayed reaction from a button press to a response on the tv.

it is an 'at your location' issue.  test by changing channel. then use the xfinity TV remote app (set to same TV name, and use the remote control (ios) you can up and down channel change and direct input of channel number as well as use the app's guide to change the channel by touching the channel icon on left side of app's guide. is the use of the app to change channels fast?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

This has also been driving us nuts ....  Any remote control function is just Slooooooow as heck.  XFINITY BUTTON, GUIDE , SAVED ,,, etc..  This has been going on for a long time.  I complained about this to @ComcastCares on TWITTER ... They actually responded. Said "probably your remote" ... which we doubted (fresh batteries).  So they MAILED us a new replacement. Sorry. Same issue. This ongoing problem most/all of us are seeing is NOT the Remote. It's their Technology.  Most Noticeably after the X1 wakes up from "saving power" for some period of time. THAT in itself suggests to me that it's the massive data download the X1 is doing just to display the Xfinity Guide/etc content. It can take 5-8 seconds for the Guide to display.     "Future is Awesomely Slow". 

It's NOT the remote !

Contributor

@Cody21 wrote:

THAT in itself suggests to me that it's the massive data download the X1 is doing just to display the Xfinity Guide/etc content. It can take 5-8 seconds for the Guide to display.   

It's NOT the remote !

I agree that it is not the remote. I wonder if it has any relation to the yellow 'data' light being on all the time as it has here. Admitedly, my problem cleared up after a power off/on but the yellow light is still on... has been for a week.  (There is a thread about it on the forum.)

Regular Contributor

@Al8041 wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

THAT in itself suggests to me that it's the massive data download the X1 is doing just to display the Xfinity Guide/etc content. It can take 5-8 seconds for the Guide to display.   

It's NOT the remote !

I agree that it is not the remote. I wonder if it has anMy X1 has No yellow ly relation to the yellow 'data' light being on all the time as it has here. Admitedly, my problem cleared up after a power off/on but the yellow light is still on... has been for a week.  (There is a thread about it on the forum.)

My X1 has NO yellow light at all ...  Just a White one when the Unit is powered up.

Regular Visitor

Yep not. The. Remote. I saw a few made note of the am being just fine in response time. I confirm. I could not believe how fast I could navigate this morning. I a, not usually a daytime tv watcher so imagine my, ermmm, response when I checked it out today. Ugh. Paying hundreds of dollars for this?  I guess "on demand" is more closely accurate on their end? And they "can't handle it"? Blatant movie reference. 

update 24 hours later. It is working as expected. We'll see how long it holds. 

New Poster

Came to this forum with the same problem. On my own, tried Xfinity button, settings, help, system refresh (not reset). Seems to work for now.
New Poster

I was having the same issue with slow remote response. I tightened all of the cable connections from the input to the coaxial amp and then the cable to the X1. This solved the issue for me. I agree, it has nothing to do with the batteries as I changed mine a couple of times to no avail.

Regular Visitor

Sooooo frustrating. Haven't had xfinity cable in over 12 years. Although I've always had their internet, I was a customer of Dish. 
I dropped Dish when they dropped Fox North and the Big 10 network. Their prices were also becoming prohibitive. I wanted to roll my whole bill into one with Xfinity.

WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE. This digital signal is garbage. Everything about using the remote is painfully slow. I have 30 days to see if I'm staying. I doubt it.