Community Forum

should i have moca filter and or splitters?

Frequent Visitor

should i have moca filter and or splitters?

yesterday i upgraded to new x1 boxes and they work intermittently ,shutting off and then i get "boot" and "pst" codes cycling , along with my cm700 modem cutting out at the same time usually ..  could this be  moca issues?  i dont believe my house has a moca filter or moca splitter where the line comes in to the house or after.  shouldnt i have a moca filter where the line meets the house or before any other connection?  and also i was reading that its a good idea to have another moca filter right before my modem so the moca network is isolated to everything in the house except the modem, is that correct??

right now i the setup goes like this:

line into house ---> 2-way splitter ---> one line to voice modem , other to 4-way splitter ---> coax outlets throughout the house   ---> x1 dvr (living room)  + netgear cm700 (data modem) + x1 box (bedroom) +  2 cable tv adapters (small boxes, not x1) in 2 other bedrooms.

none of  the splitters are moca splitters

Official Employee

Re: should i have moca filter and or splitters?

Moca is how your X1 boxes communicate with each other, nothing to do with how your boxes connect. Basically it’s that your downstream signal levels are deep in the negative and out of the range they should be in and the upstream is right at the edge of being out of range. As you noted in the amount of splitters that you have your losing too much signal.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

but i am suppose to have a moca filter where the line comes in so my moca communications dont interact with others or leave my house and to also block other moca networks that may be leaking into mine right?   also should i have one before my data modem to prevent  and moca interference? im not sure if my modem has moca capabilities

Official Employee

Yes there should be 1 moca filter, usually at the ground block outside. Whether one is there or not has nothing to do with your boxes rebooting.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

ok , so the low signal is what triggers the loss off connection to x1 platform (what the bedroom box says when it happens)   and also cycles the data modem . the voice modem (tm822g) seems to be uneffected which is odd because that modem is usually a pain in the a** .  

so i'll put a moca filter before the first splitter and that will keep my moca network from leaking outside of my house.  is there any benefit/disadvantage at all to installing one before the modem also  ?  would it affect the signal in any positive or negetive way?

and i noticed moca usually works on a higher frequency which is what im guessing is the difference between regular splitters and moca splitters.  if my boxes use moca to communicate, shouldnt i also be using moca splitters since both x1 boxes need to pass through the splitters to communicate with each other ?

Official Employee

You’re putting way too much emphasis on moca. The bigger problem is you’re losing too much signal because of the splitters. Your voice modem isn’t as affected because it’s being split first (as you posted). Have a tech out to install an amp (attached) and a moca filter and all your signal levels will be well within specs.

Frequent Visitor

ok, i get i probably need an amp, i wasnt contesting that i didnt. and im going to put a filter at the POE.

im trying to avoid having a tech come out. im not laser focused on moca. im trying to understand if the non-moca splitters being used now  would be better off being replaced with "moca" spec splitters , im assuming they are made for the specific application given that normal splitters have a lower frequency range than moca operates on .

i have access to whatever splitters,filters, amps i may need. i just like have have things setup as properly as possible and im asking if you could provide me with info to the best of your knowledge reguarding the questions i asked so i can then make an informed decision. thanks

Official Employee

This is the type of amp that you need, if you can homerun everything back to it you’ll be fine. Your splitters should be fine too there’s just too many.

23C9C17D-F40B-4085-8E21-DCD92FB137C5.jpeg
Frequent Visitor

thanks. thats actually one of the few i just looking at. for best results should i just eliminate the first 2 splitters (the 2-way that splits to the modem and to the 4-way splitter) and just use a amp with more ports (5 outputs would do it)  OR   use that exact model you just showed me and put it right after the 2-way (one line to voice modem and one to the amp) , and so elimintating the need for the 4way splitter as the amp would be those 4 ports.  

option 1:

poe-->moca filter-->amp with at least 5 ports-->1 line to modem + 2 x1 box lines + 2 hd adapter box lines

option 2: 

poe-->2-way splitter-->1 line to voice modem + 1 line to amp-->4 lines out from amp to boxes/modem

Frequent Visitor

sorry, i think i need to amend my original setup. the drop from the pole actually runs to a 2-way splitter outside before even entering the house, one line into basement (serving basement and 1st floor, voice modem +one x1 dvr + data modem) and the other to the second floor (serving 3 bedrooms, one x1 box+2 hdtv adapters)

im guessing both of the x1 boxes need to be on the same side of the amp to communicate with each other , would that assumption be correct?

if that is the case (i hope in wrong), then i would need to find a way to amplify the line from outside?

i know this may be alot to ask but this is my parents house and they dont want another tech out here (they are stubborn this way) and so it falls on me to fix it and believe me its easier for me to do it myself than convince them to have a tech come out. 

Official Employee

Option1
Put your voice modem on the VoIP port, the rest of your equipment on the other 4 ports. Powered through coax, either remotely through port 1 or direct power. Yes all X1 boxes need to be on the same side of the amp. Whatever can be homeran to the amp the better

Frequent Visitor

is there a solution the doesnt require me widening/making a new hole to fit 2 lines into basement ?

that would look something like this:

drop-->poe moca filter-->into basement-->amp with 6 outputs(1 out back outside for 2nd flr tv's, 1 to voice modem--> and the other 4 outputs that lead to 2 unused basment wall outlets, first floor x1dvr and data modem)

OR (hopefully)

is there a simpler way of just amplifying the line outside, a 2 output amp, 1 line into basement and 1 line entering the 2nd floor (existing wiring unchanged other than replacing the 2-way splitter outside with a 2-output amp), something like this:

drop-->moca filter-->2 output amp-->1 line to basement + 1 line up side of house to 2nd floor

and i would just keep the internal wiring the same?

Official Employee

I would try amp first, replacing the first 2 way splitter, changing out the 4 way splitter to a 2 way splitter(eliminating 2 unused outlets).

Note the amps come in either 5 or 9 ports and aren’t true amplifiers, they reduce the loss you would have with a splitter

Frequent Visitor

ok, thank you for all your help so far.  that second line going upstairs from outside isnt actually being used(was an extra outlet my father had installed when house was built). so all connections DO split from the basement.   if i should be able to convince them to get a tech out here, is this something they would usually charge for the booster/tech to install it and make sure all is well?