Community Forum

restart vs refresh

Regular Contributor

restart vs refresh

I know what a restart  does, but what does a refresh do?  I have a random problem where once in a while a game I recorded to watch in the morning doesn't look right on playback. I know before I even start to watch it because instead of  the picture immediately coming up, it takes about 5 seconds.  Then the picture looks like bad streaming and is very choppy when I try to watch it at 2x speed.  Usually a restart fixes it. Last night a restart still wouldn't fix it.  I notice the same kind of picture quality when the internet goes down and I am recording something.  I never have this problem during the day.  My scheduled restart is from 2-4 in the morning, so it is not interfering with the recording of the game.  This problem happens about once every 2 weeks or so.  Any input would be welcome...

Expert

Re: restart vs refresh

@tbill1 wrote:

I know what a restart  does, but what does a refresh do?  I have a random problem where once in a while a game I recorded to watch in the morning doesn't look right on playback. I know before I even start to watch it because instead of  the picture immediately coming up, it takes about 5 seconds.  Then the picture looks like bad streaming and is very choppy when I try to watch it at 2x speed.  Usually a restart fixes it. Last night a restart still wouldn't fix it.  I notice the same kind of picture quality when the internet goes down and I am recording something.  I never have this problem during the day.  My scheduled restart is from 2-4 in the morning, so it is not interfering with the recording of the game.  This problem happens about once every 2 weeks or so.  Any input would be welcome...

Along with reseting the DVR, did you also reset the cable-box?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

...when you see that again, let it play and then when the screen is only the video press the OK button. does DVR show up in upper left corner or does DVR have a little white cloud icon in front of it and audio is in 2.0 stereo?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

I don't

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

Along with reseting the DVR, did you also reset the cable-box?

I don't understand the difference... I press a on the remote and do a restart.  The DVR is in the cable box???  This is not the main DVR- It is the box that has the smaller one.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

...when you see that again, let it play and then when the screen is only the video press the OK button. does DVR show up in upper left corner or does DVR have a little white cloud icon in front of it and audio is in 2.0 stereo?

It has the cloud ..don't see anything about 2.0 stereo

Silver Problem Solver

A restart is like an unplug/plug.

A refresh reloads from the servers.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

What problem would cause me to do a refresh?

Silver Problem Solver

@tbill1 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

What problem would cause me to do a refresh?

One possibility is your entitlements would be incorrect; they would not match what your Account says you have.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

So why is the recording of my game going to the cloud and why does it look  bad?

Silver Problem Solver

@tbill1 wrote:

So why is the recording of my game going to the cloud and why does it look  bad?

I have no clue.  My recordings go to my DVR and also go to the cloud.  And they have never looked "bad", so I guess I can't help you.

Expert

I don't have the DVR, but maybe the next question is:

Is there an option on the DVR to not use the cloud? That would mean useing the DVR's storage only.

Do videos play better that way?

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

I have no clue.  My recordings go to my DVR and also go to the cloud.  And they have never looked "bad", so I guess I can't help you.

Another poster asked me if the recording was from the cloud, so there must be a reason why he asked me???

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

When I say "bad"  I am describing a picture that is darker and not as sharp.  And extremely choppy if you try to watch it at a faster speed, which I need to do for 3 hour games. It certainly isn't the picture I would see if watching live.

Silver Problem Solver

@MNtundraRET wrote:

Is there an option on the DVR to not use the cloud? That would mean useing the DVR's storage only.

Sorry, AFAIK, there is not option.  For those who have DVR's here is the infor about Cloud:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

Sorry, AFAIK, there is not option.  For those who have DVR's here is the infor about Cloud:

Robert: I just read your link. Under notes it mentions the box also has 150 hours of internal storage. That would seem to infer that there must be a way to control where you wish to store videos.

Expert

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

Robert: I just read your link. Under notes it mentions the box also has 150 hours of internal storage. That would seem to infer that there must be a way to control where you wish to store videos.

the supervisor DVR program arranges parallel recordings in both home (if DVR) and cloud. the recordings are independent and occur at the same time. If a recording is not available from the home DVR the device playing back the recording will use the cloud DVR copy. 

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

the supervisor DVR program arranges parallel recordings in both home (if DVR) and cloud. the recordings are independent and occur at the same time. If a recording is not available from the home DVR the device playing back the recording will use the cloud DVR copy. 

So the question would be why the recording occasionally is not available on the DVR (my problem)

Official Employee

In some instances the local recording fails and we failover to the cloud dvr version. This is probably what happened with this particular recording.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

It now looks to me like the problem may be your DVR.

You could get it exchanged N/C at your nearest service center.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastChad wrote:
In some instances the local recording fails and we failover to the cloud dvr version. This is probably what happened with this particular recording.

Hi Comcast Chad,

Do you have any idea why the Cloud recording in my case is not as good as it should be?

Expert

@tbill1 wrote:

@ComcastChad wrote:

Hi Comcast Chad,

Do you have any idea why the Cloud recording in my case is not as good as it should be? 

cloud is no different than stream, the user interface is a bit different on fast forward (still pictures on progress) and sound in stereo 2.0. mpeg2/mpeg4 is maintained for local channels.

Silver Problem Solver

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

I got my X1 system several years ago when it first came out in Houston and I have never seen any mention of being able to control where you wish to store videos.  The 150 hours is an approximate based on the 500MB disk drive in the X1 boxes.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

I got my X1 system several years ago when it first came out in Houston and I have never seen any mention of being able to control where you wish to store videos.  The 150 hours is an approximate based on the 500MB disk drive in the X1 boxes.

That would be true since there were no "cloud storage" options at that time. That also means all your videos were stored in your DVR. I think Rusty's last reply was an accurate explanation of what is happening. Replacing the DVR may be best option for viewing problems.

Contributor

Okay... What does the refresh reload from the servers? And, if I have a DVR box in one room and a satellite box in another room, do both boxes reload? Or, does the command only reload the box that initiates the refresh command?

Sorry to be so dense...

@RobertWy wrote:

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@LazerFlash wrote:

Okay... What does the refresh reload from the servers? And, if I have a DVR box in one room and a satellite box in another room, do both boxes reload? Or, does the command only reload the box that initiates the refresh command?

Sorry to be so dense...

@RobertWy wrote:

It reloads all devices.