Community Forum

remote control problems

New Poster

remote control problems

Out of no where most of the buttons on my remote stopped working.  I changed batteries but the did not help.  The only buttons working are the on/off, mute, and volume buttons.  The setup button brings the options up on the screen, but cannot navigate due to no other buttons working.   I cannot change channels, access the guide, on xfinity oiptions, arrows, or number pad.  Therefore I cannot even attempt to reprogram in order to see if that helps.

Official Employee

Re: remote control problems

dbowings wrote:

Out of no where most of the buttons on my remote stopped working.  I changed batteries but the did not help.  The only buttons working are the on/off, mute, and volume buttons.  The setup button brings the options up on the screen, but cannot navigate due to no other buttons working.   I cannot change channels, access the guide, on xfinity oiptions, arrows, or number pad.  Therefore I cannot even attempt to reprogram in order to see if that helps.

Both boxes or just 1?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Just the one in the living room.  The second remote is working fine.  It is model #XR11

New Poster

Just the one in the living room.  The second remote is working fine.  It is model #XR11

I'm not sure if I entered my reply to your question in the correct location so I am resending it.

New Poster

Andrew - please let me know if you are still with me so I know wether or not to start over again.

Official Employee

dbowings wrote:

Andrew - please let me know if you are still with me so I know wether or not to start over again.

Try resetting the box, if that doesn't do anything. Unpair your working remote and see if it works. This will tell you if it's the box or remote.

Unpair-press and hold setup, LED goes red to green and enter 987

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

Resetting the box did not help.  I tried pressing and holding the setup button - the red light went to green.  However it would not give me a screen to enter 987, nor do the number buttons work.  

Official Employee

There's no screen that will pop up. If you did it right and still have no control functions with the second remote, it could be the box.

New Poster

I actually tried the setup feature with both remotes and nothing other than the light turning green on both happened.  The number buttons did nothing with either.   What do I need to do if it is the box?  Will a new one be provided to me?

Official Employee

Swap it out at your local service center. Do both remotes work at the second box?

New Poster

Do I need something to show the service center so they will swap the box.  Is there a charge for thgis?

I cannot get the problem remote to wor4k on my second TV.  I tried holding the setup button until it turned green - entered 987 and nothing happened.

Should I get the service cenbter to swap both the box and the remote?  Again, is there a charge for this and do I need something from you indicating they should swap these?

New Poster

Andrew - It's been over an hour.  Do you have a reply for me?

New Poster

Amessage just came up on my TV screen.  I followed directions and now it is working fine.  Thanks anyway

Official Employee

Sorry, I work in the field, and the forums are not an automatic chat line. Are both remotes and both boxes. working? You weren't clear.

New Poster

The only buttons on my remote that work are the power and volume.  How do I correct this?

Expert

Marilynzigler52 wrote:

The only buttons on my remote that work are the power and volume.  How do I correct this?

on the remote press and hold the setup button until the remote's LED changes from red to green. then quickly type in numbers 987. working now? if yes, press and hold the setup button again until LED turns to green then press the Xfinity button and type the numbers that appear on the screen. then hit exit or skip to skip setup of other devices.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Visitor

None of the buttons on remote are working except mute and volume.  Power button will turn off but just pops back on.  Have rebooted several times, still won’t work.  It’s been this way about 12 hours.  Both boxes; downstairs and upstairs.  New batteries in both remotes.  HELP!

Expert

unplug the set top box(es) for 5-10 seconds and plug back in. working?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Visitor

Set-top box?  I already unplugged everthing for 5 minutes then plugged it back in.  Didn’t help.  Isn’t that how you reboot.  That has always fixed issues before...before we upgraded to x1 DVR.  

Regular Visitor

Don’t see a “setup” button on my remote???  Going to call Comcast.......

Regular Visitor

*Solved* ....Called our local Comcast Store and she told us how to fix it.  She said the daily update sometimes disconnects the remote from the DVR.  She had me hold the Xfinity button AND the Information (I) button down at the same time until the screen came on.  Had me enter a random channel and it worked.  Apparently, that sequence resets the TV with the remote.  Rebooting doesn’t fix it!  Hope this helps others and saves them the 18 hours of frustration I had to endure.    Progress....Grrrrrrr.

Silver Problem Solver

@JudiDunham wrote:

*Solved* ....Called our local Comcast Store and she told us how to fix it.  She said the daily update sometimes disconnects the remote from the DVR.  She had me hold the Xfinity button AND the Information (I) button down at the same time until the screen came on.  Had me enter a random channel and it worked.  Apparently, that sequence resets the TV with the remote.  Rebooting doesn’t fix it!  Hope this helps others and saves them the 18 hours of frustration I had to endure.    Progress....Grrrrrrr.

For reference to remotes:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote

Official Employee

Hello everyone, do you need any further assistance with anything else?

New Poster

My remote is working, but the buttons use to light up (blue) when I picked up the remote. It was so nice, but no longer working. Any suggestions to fix would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Expert

@Kkchamb wrote:
My remote is working, but the buttons use to light up (blue) when I picked up the remote. It was so nice, but no longer working. Any suggestions to fix would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

free replacement remote available at your local Xfinity store.

Official Employee

Kkchamb -- Were you able to get a new remote from your local Xfinity Store?

New Poster

We’re having the same problem how did you solve it?
Silver Problem Solver

@Ralittle wrote:
We’re having the same problem how did you solve it?

Your nearest Xfinity Store gives out free remotes.