Community Forum

recorded shows not playing 5.1 surround sound on main X1 DVR but does on satellite unit

New Poster

recorded shows not playing 5.1 surround sound on main X1 DVR but does on satellite unit

playing recorded shows, which i know are in 5.1 surround, only play in stereo when watched using the main X1 DVR box. if i view the exact same recorded show on my second satellite X1 box, the recorded show plays in 5.1 surround sound. on my main X1 box, live shows are in surround sound as well as watching on-demand recordings of shows.

any idea how to fix this? the main X1 DVR box was just replaced as the old one kept resetting itself to factory settings.

schleprock

Gold Problem Solver

Re: recorded shows not playing 5.1 surround sound on main X1 DVR but does on satellite unit

It depends upon whether or not the recording is stored on your DVR's hard drive or it is a cloud based recording.

I have found that cloud based recordings are a drop off in picture quality and in stereo not 5.1. I try avoid cloud recordings however we moved yesterday so we will be stuck watching a few.

@schleprock63 wrote:

playing recorded shows, which i know are in 5.1 surround, only play in stereo when watched using the main X1 DVR box. if i view the exact same recorded show on my second satellite X1 box, the recorded show plays in 5.1 surround sound. on my main X1 box, live shows are in surround sound as well as watching on-demand recordings of shows.

any idea how to fix this? the main X1 DVR box was just replaced as the old one kept resetting itself to factory settings.

schleprock

New Poster

Re: recorded shows not playing 5.1 surround sound on main X1 DVR but does on satellite unit

as i had indicated in my original note, watching the same recorded show plays in 5.1 surround sound on the satelite unit, but in stereo on the main DVR box. so this is not an issue of whether the recording is in the cloud or on the unit (as far as i know, all of my recorded shows are on the cloud). it seems to be something with the main DVR box. i've looked at all the settings but everything i try does not seem to affect recorded show playback.

Gold Problem Solver

Is your main box set to "expert mode" in the audio settings.

Care to provide the model number for your boxes?
The model number of your TV and how you have things connected would be very helpful as well.

Not that it will help you but I have had X1 boxes for over five years. I currently have three X1 boxes connected to three entirely different audio systems including a Dolby Atmos system. X1 audio has always worked predictably and correct in all cases.
Expert

...adding.. while playing (with 2.0 stereo issue) on the DVR press the OK button. lower left does it say 'DVR' or has a white cloud icon in front of the DVR letters?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

schleprock63, is this happening on new recordings too? I'd be happy to take a closer look if you send me your full name via private message. 

KenF

schleprock

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

I just “upgraded” to a X1 box from a hard drive DVR and have the same problem.  Recorded shows play back in stereo rather than 5.1 surround.  What is the fix?  I am using the digital audio cable and “live” programs play in 5.1 surround.

Gold Problem Solver

Exactly which X1 box do you now have?

As mentioned earlier in this thread, cloud DVR playback of recordings sadly is in stereo....

@dgheart wrote:

I just “upgraded” to a X1 box from a hard drive DVR and have the same problem.  Recorded shows play back in stereo rather than 5.1 surround.  What is the fix?  I am using the digital audio cable and “live” programs play in 5.1 surround.

Regular Visitor

We have the XG2v2-P. So, there is no fix to play recorded shows with surround sound?
Gold Problem Solver

If the XG2v2 is your "main DVR" or your only X1 box then yes you stuck with reduced picture quality and simple stereo audio.

Swap that box for a real X1 DVR that has a hard drive in it. You want an XG1V4 or an XG1-AV3

@dgheart wrote:
We have the XG2v2-P. So, there is no fix to play recorded shows with surround sound?

Official Employee

We have the XG2v2-P. So, there is no fix to play recorded shows with surround sound

dgheart, Got your private message. I'll follow up with you there. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

I’ve had the same problem for years and there’s no answer for it and I find it to be extremely annoying. For the money I spend monthly I should have all my recordings in 5.1. I end up watching some of the shows on demand if available but we shouldn’t have to. Comcast needs to fix this glitch.

Expert

@EaglesSB52 wrote:

I’ve had the same problem for years and there’s no answer for it and I find it to be extremely annoying. For the money I spend monthly I should have all my recordings in 5.1. I end up watching some of the shows on demand if available but we shouldn’t have to. Comcast needs to fix this glitch.

when it is not in 5.1 (just stereo) press the OK button and see if the recording source is 'DVR' or 'Cloud icon DVR'. how is your audio connected to your receiver?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

I am seeing DVR and I’m connected by both optical and HDMI switching between the two to try to figure out what’s wrong but it doesn’t make a difference with what sound output I’m using. Sony receiver/LG 8000 

Regular Visitor

Correction, when the sound is not coming through in Dolby 5.1 I am seeing the cloud.

Expert

@EaglesSB52 wrote:

Correction, when the sound is not coming through in Dolby 5.1 I am seeing the cloud.

for whatever reason (we can work through some issues) that recording is not available to that particular set top box from the in-home DVR. the cloud DVR copy is then appearing to play (as a stream) and is always in 2.0 stereo. 

Regular Visitor

Ok sounds great as I’ve been searching for a fix to this for years. Thank you in advance.

Official Employee

EaglesSB52, when you play an older recording, older than the most recent 60 hours of recording, is 5.1 played? 

Ken

Regular Visitor

My recordings never go beyond 30%.
Regular Visitor

It’s like fingers crossed sometimes the recordings are in 5.1 but lately this current week and last every recording shows the cloud and is recorded in stereo (pcm)
Official Employee

My recordings never go beyond 30%.

Ah, so you don't keep older content. Everything is in the cloud? I'm the complete opposite, I have content on my DVR from like 2 years ago haha. 

Expert

while playing a recording hit the OK button. if it is the could (2.0) copy there is a cloud icon in front of "DVR". if home DVR it just says DVR. for home DVR your recording includes all audio streams in the mpeg recording.

Regular Visitor

Yes, I’ve done that and I’m able to distinguish when I see the cloud that the audio will be 2.0 and when I see DVR after pressing ok the audio will be 5.1. Is there a solution to always have the audio recorded at 5.1 and not in the cloud?
Expert

@EaglesSB52 wrote:
Yes, I’ve done that and I’m able to distinguish when I see the cloud that the audio will be 2.0 and when I see DVR after pressing ok the audio will be 5.1. Is there a solution to always have the audio recorded at 5.1 and not in the cloud?

next time you notice the home set top box is playing the cloud go to the DVR itself and play the recording. is it also 'cloud DVR'?

Regular Visitor

It is, I have one of the two home sets in my bedroom and for some reason last week and this week all recordings have been on the cloud.
Expert

@EaglesSB52 wrote:
It is, I have one of the two home sets in my bedroom and for some reason last week and this week all recordings have been on the cloud.

your DVR may be failing (in this case, to record). when caught up watching it clean swap out the DVR.

Regular Visitor

Ok thanks I’ll do that.
Official Employee

I'm totally loving the detective work. Thanks Rusyben! 

EaglesSB52, if you need help swapping the DVR, let me know. 

Ken

Regular Visitor

Thanks, I’ll just take to to the nearest Xfinity store😁
Official Employee

OK cool! Let us know your results once you're able to test!

Regular Visitor

Will do, thanks for help fellas😄
Regular Visitor

Hi everyone,

I believe I’ve found a simple fix. I decided to do a bit of research online because as a techie this situation was just driving me nuts. So before I went online I checked the other “main” x1 dvr box and I found that it was recording everything in 5.1. I went through the house and made sure all boxes were set to expert for HDMI and 5.1 for Optical. I swapped out my old HDMI for an HDMI 2.0 and things are now being recorded in 5.1. Then I did the research online. The tv is a 2018 4K UHD LG so I have the HDMI running from the box to the tv and optical into my receiver etc. but it’s now working. If it reverts, I’ll post. Thanks everyone for the help✌🏾

Expert

@EaglesSB52 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I believe I’ve found a simple fix. I decided to do a bit of research online because as a techie this situation was just driving me nuts. So before I went online I checked the other “main” x1 dvr box and I found that it was recording everything in 5.1. I went through the house and made sure all boxes were set to expert for HDMI and 5.1 for Optical. I swapped out my old HDMI for an HDMI 2.0 and things are now being recorded in 5.1. Then I did the research online. The tv is a 2018 4K UHD LG so I have the HDMI running from the box to the tv and optical into my receiver etc. but it’s now working. If it reverts, I’ll post. Thanks everyone for the help✌🏾

that's not how 'it' works. when you record you record a stream (mpeg) that includes video/audio/captions/SAP/description streams. your TV/receiver is responsible to handle the audio stream selection. Any cloud only recordings will currently be in stereo 2.0.  the TV has an ARC HDMI port? if so that is designed to return audio via HDMI to the receiver. the normal hookup with technology is to put the set top box on a receiver/sound bar and then connect the TV to the same. 

Regular Visitor

Tv has ARC and it’s working despite not not being the way it’s supposed to work. No cloud recordings🤷🏾‍♀️
Official Employee

Hi everyone,

I'm just glad it works now, EaglesSB52. lol. Let us know if that changes. 

Regular Visitor

Thanks ComcastKen,

I’m just so very in awe that a change in HDMI cables from 1.4 to 2.0 is all it took. It had been driving me nuts for close to a year and all that time all I needed to do was make that simple change. My mind is blown. Thanks again for the assistance and if anything changes I will post. Take care.

New Poster

I am new to Xfinity.  The XiD-P box that the tech set up only has the Dolby Atmos codec.  My HD TV and Home Theatre amp does not recognize this codec.  I went to the local Xfinity Service center and exchanged the XiD-P box for the XG2V2 box.  This new box supports the Dolby Digital 5.1 requirements of my Home Theatre amp.   All is good with Surrond Sound.  I did not have to buy a new HD TV or Amp!!!

Expert

@Bud14 wrote:

I am new to Xfinity.  The XiD-P box that the tech set up only has the Dolby Atmos codec.  My HD TV and Home Theatre amp does not recognize this codec.  I went to the local Xfinity Service center and exchanged the XiD-P box for the XG2V2 box.  This new box supports the Dolby Digital 5.1 requirements of my Home Theatre amp.   All is good with Surrond Sound.  I did not have to buy a new HD TV or Amp!!!

go to the audio settings and turn off expert. are you connected by HDMI for audio? is the X1 set top box connected to a receiver or to the TV with ARC return?