Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

"Time" problems on X1--Parental Controls, Snooze, and Power Save

Regular Visitor

"Time" problems on X1--Parental Controls, Snooze, and Power Save

My problems are two-fold, but both relate to certain types of time limits.

First problem: There is the matter of the curfew for Parental Controls. If I set the X1 to kick someone off at a certain time of night, it generally works okay for regular channels.

I've noticed sometimes that if we're in the middle of watching a program it won't prompt for pin until the program is over. This is a nice feature, especially if I've set up the DVR (not a rented Comcast device, but something we've bought outright) to record something and go to bed. BUT.... if my grandson starts watching apps before the time limit kicks in--YouTube, Watchable, etc--the time feature, near as I can tell, will treat that as "one show" and will never require a pin so long as he doesn't exit the app. Seems to me this completely defeats the purpose of having a time limit set up on the box, as that's all he ever watches these days.

Second problem: Repeating the fact that my DVR is not a Comcast device and thus doesn't have the "record even when the X1 goes to sleep" option, I noticed a problem the other day when attempting to record something extremely late at night.

I had gotten on the box around midnight, set it to the channel I wanted, and set the snooze for four hours. Likewise, the Power Save function is set to let the box go for four hours. Logically the box should remain on and not require a pin or power down for any reason until 4 AM for this particular session. Then I set up the DVR to record a couple of shows from 1 AM to 2 AM (a few minutes before and after), and went to bed.

A couple of days later I went to watch my recorded shows, and discovered that all I'd recorded was the screensaver.... along with a pin prompt at the 1 AM point, the 1:30 AM point, and the 2 AM point.

I bought this DVR long before Comcast had their X1 options, and I am not about to pay out to rent one just to use a feature that should work on my current system.