Community Forum

partial recordings

Contributor

partial recordings

Some of my recordnings are not in full. They are cut short like a 60-minute show has only the first 4 minutes and 38 seconds. I checked most of my recordings and found quite a few recordings are shortened like that. It is not like missing the last minute or so, like a 30-minute program ends at 28th minute, but those recordings are only a few minute long in length. What is happening? About 2 weeks ago, we started noticing this.

Official Employee

Re: partial recordings

It’s possible the hard drive is failing and the DVR May need replaced

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

2 days ago, we swapped the x1 tv box. So right now I am using a 2-day old equipment. Yet, the "Saved" tab has a list of recordings including those aired more than 2 days ago. So I guess the recordings are not locally saved?

Official Employee

After swapping you would have had access to the last 60 hours recorded via the cloud. Going forward from there, your new recordings are physically on the new dvr

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Most of the recordings taken within the last 24 hours are not in full. Could this be a hardware issue? I just visited the Comcast store 2 days ago to get a new equipment. What are the chances of getting a defective hardware on a swap?

Expert

@xv920 wrote:

Most of the recordings taken within the last 24 hours are not in full. Could this be a hardware issue? I just visited the Comcast store 2 days ago to get a new equipment. What are the chances of getting a defective hardware on a swap?

play a recording on your x1 set top box that is 'short'. when menu and status bar dispappears press the ok button. lower left of screen just "DVR" or cloud-icon + DVR?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

It is "Cloud icon + DVR". All the recordings are like that. I don't see any "DVR"-only recording.

Expert

@xv920 wrote:

It is "Cloud icon + DVR". All the recordings are like that. I don't see any "DVR"-only recording.

tune to tvland or other short program channel and hit record. when it finishes recording, play and see if the DVR is 'alone'.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I made a recording on TVLand. I didn't let it finish but manually cancelled in a few minutes. The recording was DVR-only, no Cloud. Where am I going with this?

If the Cloud recording was somehow messed up, then can I disable it and make the DVR-only recordings?

Expert

@xv920 wrote:

I made a recording on TVLand. I didn't let it finish but manually cancelled in a few minutes. The recording was DVR-only, no Cloud. Where am I going with this?

If the Cloud recording was somehow messed up, then can I disable it and make the DVR-only recordings?

when you record, the 'scheduler in the clouds' records on both home DVR and cloud DVR. if you home DVR does not have a recording but the cloud does, it plays the cloud (which was your issue) copy. record some shows overnight. then view the recordings on a smart device or desk/laptop and see if they are 'short'. If you find a short recording as you describe verify the home DVR copy is full length. 

Contributor

So do I have 2 versions of the same show? Local and cloud? At this moment I am zero interest in cloud recordings because they are only first few minutes. How do I get to the local versions?

Expert

@xv920 wrote:

So do I have 2 versions of the same show? Local and cloud? At this moment I am zero interest in cloud recordings because they are only first few minutes. How do I get to the local versions?

the home equipment normally has the local recording so the cloud copy is not used in home (other than streaming devices (smart phones, tablets, desk/laptops, Roku).

Contributor

Then why my x1 tv box is full of "Cloud+DVR" recordings only? The local recording capability on this particular x1 tv box is somehow not functioning? I just replaced the previous one with this one 3 days ago. How can I tell if the local recording is actually happening or not?

Contributor

And why all those "Cloud+DVR" recordings are cut short with only the first few minutes?

So I'm having two issues then. One is my x1 tv box is not recording anything locally. The other is the cloud recordings are not in full.

Expert

@xv920 wrote:

And why all those "Cloud+DVR" recordings are cut short with only the first few minutes?

So I'm having two issues then. One is my x1 tv box is not recording anything locally. The other is the cloud recordings are not in full.

for your previous post, use the xfinity TV Remote app. using the app menu select recordings. it will show the recordings on the physical set top boxes. if you use the xfinity Stream TV app, you can see 'only' the cloud recordings. if you have problems with the new stream recordings, say so then we can ask an official Comcast employee to assist that issue.

Contributor

If I look at the recordings on my PC through Stream, I see exactly the same thing on the TV - shortened recordings containing only the first few minutes. Like, a tv program that is supposed to last 30 minutes from 3:15 to 3:45 is listed as recorded "3:15 - 3:19". If I play it, it starts fine but abruptly ends in about 4 minutes.

Contributor

The Remote app says I have zero recordings. The Stream app lists all the recordings that I see on the TV. The Remote app's "Scheduled" recordings match what I expect. With that, what can you tell? The new tv box is dead on arrival?

Silver Problem Solver

@xv920 wrote:

The Remote app says I have zero recordings. The Stream app lists all the recordings that I see on the TV. The Remote app's "Scheduled" recordings match what I expect. With that, what can you tell? The new tv box is dead on arrival?

Any chance you are using different credentials? (username/password)

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

I like Rustyben's suggestion:

@xv920 wrote:

when you record, the 'scheduler in the clouds' records on both home DVR and cloud DVR. if you home DVR does not have a recording but the cloud does, it plays the cloud (which was your issue) copy. record some shows overnight. then view the recordings on a smart device or desk/laptop and see if they are 'short'. If you find a short recording as you describe verify the home DVR copy is full length. 

I think I got a bit lost here, xv920. Were you able to confirm if new recordings had the same cut off recordings as the older cloud DVR recordings? 

KenF

Contributor

What do you mean by credentials? I have only one account with Comcast. Like I said, both apps list the same set of "scheduled" recordings. There is no actual recordings in the local tv box and the cloud recordings are all cut short. I guess I need to replace the equipment yet again.

Official Employee

xv920, I'd be happy to check your signal levels and run a diagnostic on your box and the cloud before you swap the box again. Let me know if that interests you. Just shoot me a private message with your name and I'll check things out. 

KenF

Contributor

With the new tv box, there is no local recordings. All the recordings are now in cloud only. That is one issue. All the cloud recordings are cut short. That is Issue #2.

Official Employee

With the new tv box, there is no local recordings. All the recordings are now in cloud only. That is one issue. All the cloud recordings are cut short. That is Issue #2.

xv920, this might have been asked and answered already, but it wasn't clear to me: are the new recordings you're scheduling on the DVR only recording as cloud recordings? 

Contributor

I don't know how to designate the recording as local or cloud. You need to tell me how.

I got this new tv box 4 days ago. I swapped the box as I was having an issue with the previous one. When I powered on the new box, all the scheduled recordings were there. I did not have to setup any new scheduled recording. The only new recording I made with the new box was the TVLand one when I was asked to try in this thread. Even this TVLand one is not listed in the Remote app's "recordings" so I guess this is also cloud-only.

Official Employee

I don't know how to designate the recording as local or cloud. You need to tell me how.

I got this new tv box 4 days ago. I swapped the box as I was having an issue with the previous one. When I powered on the new box, all the scheduled recordings were there. I did not have to setup any new scheduled recording. The only new recording I made with the new box was the TVLand one when I was asked to try in this thread. Even this TVLand one is not listed in the Remote app's "recordings" so I guess this is also cloud-only.

Ohhh, I gotcha now. Do you happen to have a POE filter behind your box? It might be attached to a splitter? I do see a few concerns on your box so I'll continue with you in the private message thread. 

KenF

New Poster

Hello there,

I've actually been experiencing the partial recordings issue as well, for at least 2 months now Smiley Sad  I came here to see if it had been reported by anyone else, and luckily I found this thread.

In my case, it's with a box I've had for a couple of years, which would properly before.  I see the same exact partial recordings both when playing locally and when playing using the Stream app.

Any chance a Comcast employee could assist me with this problem?  I was thinking of passing by an Xfinity store to swap to a new box, but the original poster's story in here leads me to believe this may not solve my problem!

Geoff

Silver Problem Solver

@Jofu wrote:

Hello there,

I've actually been experiencing the partial recordings issue as well, for at least 2 months now Smiley Sad  I came here to see if it had been reported by anyone else, and luckily I found this thread.

In my case, it's with a box I've had for a couple of years, which would properly before.  I see the same exact partial recordings both when playing locally and when playing using the Stream app.

Any chance a Comcast employee could assist me with this problem?  I was thinking of passing by an Xfinity store to swap to a new box, but the original poster's story in here leads me to believe this may not solve my problem!

Geoff

When I see that one of my recordings is incomplete, my research has shown that a program that ran before my recording started later than scheduled.  I just assume that is what causes my recording to start late and stops before the end of the live broadcast because I set my recording to end with no extra time.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same partial recording issue for the past half year since I started subscribing. After multiple tech visits, box replacements, and cable replacements, the issue still persists. I have a splitter (to an internet modem) just before the box. Could you guys continue your conversation here for the forum instead of a private channel?  I really appreciate it.

New Poster

Thanks for the reply Robert.  Actually, the partial recording is now happening with most of our recordings, so it's very unlikely to be issue.  Also, I've often seen programs starting late, but in those cases, I would see the first N minutes being the show that over-ran.  The DVR would be oblivious to the delay in programming.  And finally, one thing I have tried is adding a whopping extra 30 minutes of recording to my shows, but the recordings will still only last a few minutes only (like 4 or 6 minutes for example) Smiley Sad

Geoff

@RobertWy wrote:

When I see that one of my recordings is incomplete, my research has shown that a program that ran before my recording started later than scheduled.  I just assume that is what causes my recording to start late and stops before the end of the live broadcast because I set my recording to end with no extra time.

New Poster

@ComcastKenF I would appreciate your help in here if at all possible Smiley Happy

Geoff

Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

xv920, this might have been asked and answered already, but it wasn't clear to me: are the new recordings you're scheduling on the DVR only recording as cloud recordings? 

Can you answer this question for all the people out there? How do you designate a scheduled recording as cloud or local? If I could designate my recordings to local, instead of cloud, I think my problems would be solved. Right now, all my recordings are cloud-only and all the cloud-only recordings are cut short like a 90-minute program has only the first 3 minutes and 9 seconds recorded.

Expert

@xv920 wrote:

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Can you answer this question for all the people out there? How do you designate a scheduled recording as cloud or local? If I could designate my recordings to local, instead of cloud, I think my problems would be solved. Right now, all my recordings are cloud-only and all the cloud-only recordings are cut short like a 90-minute program has only the first 3 minutes and 9 seconds recorded.\

when you have a physical DVR(s) the recordings are made both places independent of the other DVR.

Contributor

My current tv box is "XG1-A". My understanding is all the X1 boxes have physical storage, including XG1-A. When I manually tried recording a program the other day, it was recorded locally as evidenced by the "DVR" note instead of "Cloud+DVR". But none of the scheduled recordings are made as "DVR" now. Why are all my scheduled recordings "Cloud+DVR"?

Silver Problem Solver

@xv920 wrote:

My current tv box is "XG1-A". My understanding is all the X1 boxes have physical storage, including XG1-A. When I manually tried recording a program the other day, it was recorded locally as evidenced by the "DVR" note instead of "Cloud+DVR". But none of the scheduled recordings are made as "DVR" now. Why are all my scheduled recordings "Cloud+DVR"?

Recordings start on the DVR.  Then they are copied to the cloud some time later.

Contributor

If that is the case, then why do I see zero recordings locally? That's what I see on the Remote app's "recordings". I have 4-5 scheduled recordings per day and this is Day 7 since I got this new tv box. It should have made about 30 recordings this past week. The Remote app lists none of them in the "Recordings" section. I do see all of them on the TV's "Saved" listing. Each and every one of them is "Could+DVR". They are all cut short at the first few minutes.

Silver Problem Solver

@xv920 wrote:

If that is the case, then why do I see zero recordings locally? That's what I see on the Remote app's "recordings". I have 4-5 scheduled recordings per day and this is Day 7 since I got this new tv box. It should have made about 30 recordings this past week. The Remote app lists none of them in the "Recordings" section. I do see all of them on the TV's "Saved" listing. Each and every one of them is "Could+DVR". They are all cut short at the first few minutes.

Ah, you are using the Stream App?  There is a separate forum for it.

Contributor

No I am not using the Stream app. I am simply using the tv box in front of the tv. The Remote app was introduced in this thread. I didn't even know about it. I was told the Remote app lists all the local recordings, while the Steam app can only list the cloud recordings. That's how you tell what's in your local drive vs cloud.

New Poster

One question to all of you that are having trouble recording. Where the programs that only recorded the first few minutes of a program on international channels? I had a service guy come out on Friday to look at this issue for me. Mine was an interntational channel and he said someone else had this on an international channel. He looked up messages from other repair guys and said it is a known issue. I called Comcast on Sunday and they acknowledged it is an issue on their end with no timeline for a solution. Super frustrated...

Contributor

Yes it is an international channel that I pay a separate monthly fee for.

So this is something specific to international channels only and you don't see it happen on domestic channels like NBC?

So this is not because of a fauly tv box? So swapping would not solve this issue?

New Poster

That is what I was told. It isn't anything on your end. It is their back end. My daughter recorded the Emmy's last night and didn't have any issues. Still issues on the interntational channel.

Contributor

That kind of makes sense now. When I tried to record the TVLand program the other day as well as when I made some manual recordings in an effort to troubleshoot this issue on last Sat&Sun, they all looked okay. They were like Pebble beach golf on CBS and some other sports on NBC and they were recorded fine on the local storage("DVR") and playing back had no issue either. Yet, all my scheduled recordings on the international channel were still cloud-only and cut short miserably. This is because of an international channel you say.

All my scheduled recordings are on this international channel only. We basically watch only 2 channels on xfinity - this international channel and a regional sports channel to see local MLB games.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, russ70, for bringing up this fine point.  I, too,  am experiencing this issue with an international channel. That is why I didn't hear about this issue much when I asked around in my neighborhood...

At any rate, over the weekend I encountered a new symptom. This time, the recording says it was recorded for the expected full length (50 min).  Now I'm in a habit of checking that before watching any of the recorded shows in order not to get disappinted.  This time, even though it says it recorded for the whole 50 min, the show went black about 15 min in and I was taken to this "delete or keep" page. Super disappointing. The problem seems to be getting worse.

For those experiencing the same issue, you can argue that with this issue there is not much point of paying for a DVR and that you request monthly credits equivalent to the DVR fee. I negotiated this to be in effect for 12 months.

Contributor

This happens with Newsmax TV Channel 1115. It was recently added to my channel lineup. I record Newsmax Now at 6PM every day and it seems to only record sometimes 5 minutes or 15 minutes every time. I sometimes record the repeat that airs at 9PM and the 9PM is sometimes worse. Today the 6PM recorded 29 minutes and the 9PM recorded 5 minutes even though it is an hour long show.

Such a shame since I can’t watch on the go since it’s not a TV Go channel.
Regular Visitor

We've been having the same issues with TV5Monde. First we thought the problem was in select shows, but now it's more and more clear that Xfinity does not record any TV5Monde programs from start to finish. There is no telling how long a recording will be. 1-hour shows, for example, are recorded anywhere from just a few minutes to 30-40 minutes.The only thing that is consistent now is that it's always incomplete. Comcast seems to have no idea what's wrong so far. 

Frequent Visitor

Another symptom. A recording got completely skipped last night even though it was scheduled to record. Getting worse day by day.

Official Employee

Hi All, 

The cloud service on an X1 cloud DVR cannot isolated. It is built in with the DVR and comes with the DVR service. There is no way to turn that feature off. 

It is meant to compliment your local DVR storage. The most recent 60 hours is stored on the cloud. 

If everyone's issue is with an international channel, I can attempt to open a ticket with tech ops if this is a known issue.

KenF

Contributor

If I record a domestic channel like NBC, I think it is recorded in the local storage. If I play back, I see the "DVR" note in the lower left hand of the screen under the title of the program. The recording is in full.

If I record the international channel, manually or as scheduled, I don't think it is recorded locally. If I play back, it says "Cloud+DVR" under the title. The recording is cut short. How long it lasts seems completely random as somebody else has pointed out.

Regular Visitor

Hi KenF, 
I know that some of your engineers are already aware of this issue, but if you can find a way to escalate this for a faster resolution, please do. It't evident that recording international channels became compeltely useless at this point. 

Thank you so much. 

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Hi All, 

The cloud service on an X1 cloud DVR cannot isolated. It is built in with the DVR and comes with the DVR service. There is no way to turn that feature off. 

It is meant to compliment your local DVR storage. The most recent 60 hours is stored on the cloud. 

If everyone's issue is with an international channel, I can attempt to open a ticket with tech ops if this is a known issue.

KenF

Official Employee

I am working on creating a ticket for xv920 and link it to whatever issue Engineering is working so I have a way of monitoring the issue and update this thread. 

New Poster

Missed programming

I subscribe to an international channel and haven’t been able to save the program on my Xfinity dvr. Can I get a refund for the lost program opportunities?