Community Forum

partial recordings

New Poster

Scheduled recordings not recording fully

Hello,

I currently am subscribed to GMA (Filipino Channel) and have scheduled a few episodes of a show to be recorded. I have noticed that the episodes are not being recorded fully. It’s a hit and miss. Please guide in troubleshooting.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Missed programming

>> Terrykennedy428

You can chat with an agent and request a refund. That's probably the fastest.

New Poster

Re: partial recordings

@ComcastKenF wrote:

I am working on creating a ticket for xv920 and link it to whatever issue Engineering is working so I have a way of monitoring the issue and update this thread. 

The issue I'm encountering is also indeed with an international channel (TV Japan).  Feel free to create a ticket for me as well, I definitely would love to see a resolution to this problem!

I too share the sentiment that paying extra money for that international channel, and a DVR, is pointless if we're not able to record anything reliably!

Thank you,

Geoff

Valued Contributor

@xv920 wrote:

Some of my recordnings are not in full. They are cut short like a 60-minute show has only the first 4 minutes and 38 seconds. I checked most of my recordings and found quite a few recordings are shortened like that. It is not like missing the last minute or so, like a 30-minute program ends at 28th minute, but those recordings are only a few minute long in length. What is happening? About 2 weeks ago, we started noticing this.

Have you tried to use  the manual recording option to expand the recording time to see if the system continues to exhibit that behavior?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-set-a-manual-recording-for-a-channel

Max is 7 hrs.

Valued Contributor

@Terrykennedy428 wrote:
I subscribe to an international channel and haven’t been able to save the program on my Xfinity dvr. Can I get a refund for the lost program opportunities?

International Channels do not follow the guide info. Use the manual record option to extend the recording time. 

Max 7 hrs https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-set-a-manual-recording-for-a-channel

Valued Contributor

@Jofu wrote:

@ComcastKenF wrote:

I am working on creating a ticket for xv920 and link it to whatever issue Engineering is working so I have a way of monitoring the issue and update this thread. 

The issue I'm encountering is also indeed with an international channel (TV Japan).  Feel free to create a ticket for me as well, I definitely would love to see a resolution to this problem!

I too share the sentiment that paying extra money for that international channel, and a DVR, is pointless if we're not able to record anything reliably!

Thank you,

Geoff

Use the manual recording option. International channels do not follow the guide info

Max 7 hrs https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-set-a-manual-recording-for-a-channel

Contributor

@RadTV wrote:

@xv920 wrote:

Some of my recordnings are not in full. They are cut short like a 60-minute show has only the first 4 minutes and 38 seconds. I checked most of my recordings and found quite a few recordings are shortened like that. It is not like missing the last minute or so, like a 30-minute program ends at 28th minute, but those recordings are only a few minute long in length. What is happening? About 2 weeks ago, we started noticing this.

Have you tried to use  the manual recording option to expand the recording time to see if the system continues to exhibit that behavior?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-set-a-manual-recording-for-a-channel

Max is 7 hrs.

No I haven't tried that. But that can't be the solution. For all the episodes and shows that we record on this channel, it is impractical to do that on a one-by-one basis. If you do it in a "catch-all" way like 7hr straight, then there will be a whole lot of wastes in a rather limited capacity and the playback would be a pain in the ***.

Valued Contributor

@xv920 wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

@xv920 wrote:

Max is 7 hrs.

No I haven't tried that. But that can't be the solution. For all the episodes and shows that we record on this channel, it is impractical to do that on a one-by-one basis. If you do it in a "catch-all" way like 7hr straight, then there will be a whole lot of wastes in a rather limited capacity and the playback would be a pain in the ***.

I am suggesting it as there could be a bug in the standard record option and the manual option would be a way to test that. If the manual recording is successful then there might be an issue with the standard record option.

New Poster

I do have some information RE: DVR / International channels not completing the intended recording. We called TV Japan 2 weeks ago & they have been getting numerous calls on this matter. We had Xfinity tech  out to install new DVR, he escalated to a "TIER 2" . While he's on phone to  " I think Denver" Software /Development team (SME) Subject Matter Expert, I heard him saying ALL INTERNATIONAL CHANNELS are effected and they are working on problem. He didn't exactly say what the problem is/ or how long it will take to get fixed. Other than "THEY" are aware and working on issue. Other day I scrolled thru some menu's and did see comcast did a firmware update on January 24th, 2019.  Server upgrade? New Server? Virtual Machine? Windows / Java Patches? you get the idea. Hope this helps. David 

New Poster

@RadTV wrote:

@Jofu wrote:

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Use the manual recording option. International channels do not follow the guide info

That’s not really accurate...  Recording international channels used to work for the longest time.  Still I have indeed tried manually adding extra time to recordings to get around the problem, but unfortunately that didn’t work.  It was one of the first things I tried Smiley Sad

Geoff

Frequent Visitor

One of the other symptoms that I observe is that the "remaining capacity" shows a different quantity for the DVR and for the cloud. Somehow DVR always remains at around 7% capacity even though the cloud is near the full capacity. Initially I thought that DVR recording stops whenever the max capacity is reached in the cloud instead of old recordings getting erased to make room.

For me this issue has been happening for the past half year. Comcast always tells me they are working on it but the has never been addressed in the past 6 months after multiple tech visits, three box replacements, and a cable replacement.

Diamond Problem Solver

The cloud and the physical DVR are 2 different measurements.
The cloud measure time (60 hours) and the physical DVR measures space (approximately 500 G. The DVR will definitely erase old recordings to make space.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

We are also having the same issue on our side too. Is there any indication of a solution anytime soon?
Regular Visitor

I joined this thread from another thread below.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-DVR-Not-recording-complete-show-start-to-end/m-p/3196665/highlig...

There definitely is a problem with Comcast.Xfinity DVR and TV Japan recording comaptibility.  If they don't resolve it soon, I will request refund for the last several months.

Frequent Visitor

For those still experiencing this partial recording issue, I would suggest to record in SD in the mean time. I have not experienced this issue with SD recording so far. No, it is not a complete solution, but at least, you will not miss the last bits of these shows.

Official Employee

Hello All, 

We are aware of the issues you all are experiencing regarding recordings for international channels. We are working to resolve this as soon as possible. I will monitor the thread and let you all know when I get any updates/resolutions from engineering. 

Thanks, 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@tuco1 wrote:

For those still experiencing this partial recording issue, I would suggest to record in SD in the mean time. I have not experienced this issue with SD recording so far. No, it is not a complete solution, but at least, you will not miss the last bits of these shows.

Folks, I have to take my word back. I noticed today that one of the recordings made in SD was not recorded in full. So, the issue does not seem to be isolated for HD. Please forward this info for those who are working on to fix this issue. Thanks.

Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Hello All, 

We are aware of the issues you all are experiencing regarding recordings for international channels. We are working to resolve this as soon as possible. I will monitor the thread and let you all know when I get any updates/resolutions from engineering. 

Thanks, 

KenF

Hey it is all good for the last few days. No shortened recordings at all. I guess you fixed the issue. My wife is happy, so am I. Now, can we talk about the reimbursement? :-)

Frequent Visitor

Re: Missed programming (bring back TV Japan for me)

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Hello All, 

Thanks, 

KenF

Thanks KenK!

Need a fix ASAP!

Things are getting worse today... Smiley Sad

I have been having the same issues, starting probably a month or so ago, and now after lengthly chat with Comcast agent, restarting, rebooting my settop box, nothing is fixed afterall. I watch TV Japan daily, and but today I cannot watchi it at all as the live TV is start & stop staggering every 10 seconds or so, unfortuatnely. Schuduled recordings are now suddenly not recorded at all, sadly. It was 'just' missing the end portion of the recordings before this.

I have not full tested if this issue extends further into online streaming or not. Yet will test this soon.

Got a $10 refund for today, but not sure how long I can wait for the fix.

Please bring back TV Japan for me!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Missed programming (bring back TV Japan for me)

OK

@DrMORO wrote:

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Hello All, 

Thanks, 

KenF

Thanks KenK!

Need a fix ASAP!

Things are getting worse today... Smiley Sad

I have been having the same issues, starting probably a month or so ago, and now after lengthly chat with Comcast agent, restarting, rebooting my settop box, nothing is fixed afterall. I watch TV Japan daily, and but today I cannot watchi it at all as the live TV is start & stop staggering every 10 seconds or so, unfortuatnely. Schuduled recordings are now suddenly not recorded at all, sadly. It was 'just' missing the end portion of the recordings before this.

I have not full tested if this issue extends further into online streaming or not. Yet will test this soon.

Got a $10 refund for today, but not sure how long I can wait for the fix.

Please bring back TV Japan for me!

Ok, so after some time last evening, TV & cable box on but watching CNN news, returned back to TV Japan to watch their news, and did not notice any issues at all.

Fixed?

I will have to test with the scheduled recordings, but maybe something was done on the 'other' side?

Thanks for bringing things back to normal!

Please keep up the great work!

And also hope this issue does not come up again.

Frequent Visitor

@xv920 wrote:

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Hello All, 

Thanks, 

KenF

Hey it is all good for the last few days. No shortened recordings at all. I guess you fixed the issue. My wife is happy, so am I. Now, can we talk about the reimbursement? :-)

Well, it'd be good if it is indeed true. We'd appreciate a confirmation by KenF if possible...

For me, I've been recording in SD and so don't know if HD recording works fine or not. Too afraid to even test it. 

What I noticed in the past few days, though, is that it is taking a lot longer for the box to respond to any kind of command (e.g., turning on to get a live feed, moving to a list of recordings, etc).  Does it mean that outgoing signals (from us) are somehow restricted so that incoming signals (i.e., shows) come in without any disruptions that can potentially cause to end on-going recordings???

Official Employee

Hello all, 

I've gotten the "all clear" from engineering and it appears the issue was fixed on the back end. The fix resolved issues for all new recordings. Please let me know if future recordings are not in full so I can look into this further. 

Thanks for all your updates, everyone! 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

TV Japan has also posted an update of this ussie being fixed.

Xfinity(Comcast) Cable- TV JAPAN Recording Trouble is Fixed2/28(Thu)

According the recent report from Xfinity(Comcast) Cable, they fixed the recording trouble issue.

Please re-set the cable box, and if you still experience the trouble, Please contact Xfinity.