Community Forum

netflix stutter

Official Employee

Re: netflix stutter

Of course. Thank you for hanging in there, I know it has not been easy. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

TiredRetired ~ I cannot see the photo because it's pending approval by our Community Manager. I will get with them to have this expedited and will reach back out to you shortly. 

Make sure you have reset the Netflix app as well, thunderwalker. If you continue to experience problems, please send me a private message with your name. 

Thank you, thank you & thank you!!!  Very much appreciated.  

Official Employee

My pleasure. Thank you all! I will keep you guys posted as further updates come through.

Hi again, thunderwalker. I saw your screenshot come through and you will need to sign in to be able to send me a private message. Once you do that, you should see the envelope icon. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I just received a call from Comcast Tech Support. The tech re-booted my DVR and my modem. We logged in and out of Netflix and reset the app. No change, still stuttering like crazy. The tech told me they were not aware of a Netflix issue on their end and want to send out a technician to have a look. I agreed, but told her it was probably a waste of time. We'll see what happens tomorrow. BTW, Netflix is still running fine on my Samsung DVR and on streaming on my iMac.

Expert

@mvyk wrote:

I just received a call from Comcast Tech Support. The tech re-booted my DVR and my modem. We logged in and out of Netflix and reset the app. No change, still stuttering like crazy. The tech told me they were not aware of a Netflix issue on their end and want to send out a technician to have a look. I agreed, but told her it was probably a waste of time. We'll see what happens tomorrow. BTW, Netflix is still running fine on my Samsung DVR and on streaming on my iMac.

do you mean your samsung TV that uses the beta Stream TV app?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Well tried resetting betflix app and nothing still stuttering maybe even a bit worse now
Expert

@thunderwalker wrote:
Well tried resetting betflix app and nothing still stuttering maybe even a bit worse now

is that set top box an X1 DVR version 4 (no clock on the front)?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

No it has a clock
Frequent Visitor

Tech Support Update -  I just got a call from Comcast Tech Support and they escalated my case to the next level and found all of my services are running at the correct specs. So, they cancelled my tech appt for this afternoon.

Just checked Netflix and it's still stuttering like crazy.

Oh well, I'll wait for more from Comcast Morgan.

In the meantime, I'll watch Netflix on my Samsung Blu-ray.

BTW, the new 4K box does not have a clock on the front.

Most Valued Poster

@mvyk wrote:

Tech Support Update -  I just got a call from Comcast Tech Support and they escalated my case to the next level and found all of my services are running at the correct specs. So, they cancelled my tech appt for this afternoon.

Just checked Netflix and it's still stuttering like crazy.

Oh well, I'll wait for more from Comcast Morgan.

In the meantime, I'll watch Netflix on my Samsung Blu-ray.

BTW, the new 4K box does not have a clock on the front.

==

It would have been wasted technician visit for sure. They are too quick to send a technician much of the time. The Netflix stutter is not localized so not sure why they would even want to dispatch a tech.

New Poster

Re: Stuttering video

I too am experiencing the shutter ONLY on my Netflix viewing through comcast. If I watch through my Apple TV there's no issues. I noticed a lot of you started seeing this in november. Has anything changed? 

Valued Contributor

@bfranz3 wrote:

I too am experiencing the shutter ONLY on my Netflix viewing through comcast. If I watch through my Apple TV there's no issues. I noticed a lot of you started seeing this in november. Has anything changed? 

The only fix at the moment is to upgrade to a 4k DVR as mentioned by ComcastMorgan

Frequent Visitor

Yep, same stuttering problem for me, for months now. As with others, no problem streaming Netflix from my blu-ray player. X1 model XG1-A. I did the NetFlix Reset just now with no avail.

I'll watch this thread for a solution (other than getting the 4k box, which I will do if needed).

As a little test I streamed Amazon Prime for the first time today and it works great!

New Poster

Hi Morgan,

I am having the same issue. Just had it installed at a new address and now have a stutter. Please resolve ASAP

Thank you

New Poster

Hi Morgan, 

How do we private message you? Is this the only way to resovle this issue? Tried contacting tech support through the multiple primary channels offered by Xfinity and they do not know about this issue or how to resolve it.

Thank you

Expert

@gahender wrote:

Hi Morgan, 

How do we private message you? Is this the only way to resovle this issue? Tried contacting tech support through the multiple primary channels offered by Xfinity and they do not know about this issue or how to resolve it.

Thank you

you have to sign in the forum then click on the username. click the envelope for message this user.

Official Employee

Hello everyone. We are well aware that the problem is only happening through your Netflix app on your X1 DVR only and not on other methods of streaming Netflix service. This is an ongoing investigation and it is no longer necessary to send me a private message or report that you're experiencing the issue as well. Tickets and service calls by technicians had previously been a necessary step in bringing awareness and exposure to this problem. That is how we got this far with it, we needed to gather enough information and we are at that point now. We know it is affecting a good amount of users on certain models of X1 DVR hubs. This is being looked at and replicated at a high level on our end, with our engineering team being involved. Please continue to be patient, as we are still working toward a fix for this. I will provide an update to you all here, once I receive additional information about this. Thank you. 

Contributor

Burlington Vermont - same problem - for weeks, if not months now.  SUPER annoying.  Please let us know when you have this problem figured out.  Going to drop our Netflix-via-Comcaxfinity subscription if it's not fixed soon.

Contributor

@CBChase wrote:

Burlington Vermont - same problem - for weeks, if not months now.  SUPER annoying.  Please let us know when you have this problem figured out.  Going to drop our Netflix-via-Comcaxfinity subscription if it's not fixed soon.

Also SUPER annoying is the fact that rank and file Comcast techs have not been made aware of this forum or this problem.  I received a call from a "Level 2" tech responding to an old repair ticket to see if my Netflix stutter (which they insist on calling buffering) had been resolved.  When I said it wasn't, she wanted to go through basic troubleshooting steps that I've been through multiple times before and kept repeating there are no reports of outtage in my area, as though that had anything to do with it.   I was unable to get her interested enough to check this forum.  I wish the Comcast staff here would make the wider Comcast workforce aware of the nature of the problem problem.

Official Employee

Your feedback is appreciated. I will be sure to pass it along. I will also continue to keep you all in the loop and update you along the way as I hear more about what you can expect next. Thank you. 

Frequent Visitor

Okay it’s now 6 days into February. 3 months still no fix. This is an unprofessional and inexcusable delay in fixing a software issue that was created by Comcast. It took almost 3 months for Comcast to admit there was a problem. Will we be getting a prorated discount on our bill since Netflix is essentially unwatchable and for those of us who only have xfinity as a way to watch Netflix on our TVs what are we supposed to do?
Expert

@thunderwalker wrote:
Okay it’s now 6 days into February. 3 months still no fix. This is an unprofessional and inexcusable delay in fixing a software issue that was created by Comcast. It took almost 3 months for Comcast to admit there was a problem. Will we be getting a prorated discount on our bill since Netflix is essentially unwatchable and for those of us who only have xfinity as a way to watch Netflix on our TVs what are we supposed to do?

did you already upgrade to an xg1v4 cable set top box (DVR)?

Most Valued Poster

@thunderwalker wrote:

I don't know about you but we got Netflix as part of our  'rebundled package' at no charge so can't ask for discount.  We were so happy to have Netflix but the stuttering makes it unusable.....<sigh>. 

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastMorgan so here we are almost 4 months of an admitted issue with Comcast and the stuttering Netflix app. So what is hold up? You said we would have resolution by end of January. Still no word so I see xfinity is actually not focused on customer support as the commercials have said. Will you please give us some sort of detailed response of exactly what the engineers are doing to fix this and an eta on the fix. We do not want another “we are aware of the issue and are working on it” we want a detailed explaination of what the situation is please.
Contributor

@thunderwalker wrote:
@ComcastMorgan so here we are almost 4 months of an admitted issue with Comcast and the stuttering Netflix app. So what is hold up? You said we would have resolution by end of January. Still no word so I see xfinity is actually not focused on customer support as the commercials have said. Will you please give us some sort of detailed response of exactly what the engineers are doing to fix this and an eta on the fix. We do not want another “we are aware of the issue and are working on it” we want a detailed explaination of what the situation is please.

From recent phone contact with Comcast's "higher level" tech support team, it isn't at all clear that they are acknowledging the existence of the "Netflix stutter," much less have any clue about how to fix it.

Regular Visitor

Hi ComcastMorgan,

This is exactly our problem!  I'm encouraged there is a solution!  What's our next step.  Not sure how to PM you.  Can you message us via email?

Thanks!

John

Silver Problem Solver

Hmm.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/9820?ba=SwiftypeResultClick&q=stutter

"

I'm getting choppy, stuttering, or distorted sound.

If you get choppy, stuttering, or distorted sound when you try to watch Netflix, it typically points to a problem with the title you're trying to watch, or to a problem with your device. Follow the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the issue.

We are currently researching this error. To help us investigate, please contact customer service."

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

Hmm.

"

If you get choppy, stuttering, or distorted sound when you try to watch Netflix, it typically points to a problem with the title you're trying to watch, or to a problem with your device. Follow the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the issue.

The Netflix stutter effects only the picture.  The sound is fine.

Contributor

The picture is not "choppy", and the sound is fine.  The video just hesitates for a split second every 15 to 30 seconds, and skips ahead a few frames to catch up with itself.  It has nothing to do with the particular "title" we're trying to watch, because it happens with every single one, all the time.  Also, it's not likely to be isolated to my "device" since it's happening all over the country, and only while watching Netfix ("Netflicker"?) via an X1 box.

Most Valued Poster

@mfrank1 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Hmm.

"

The Netflix stutter effects only the picture.  The sound is fine.

I disagree....its happening on all Netflix programs we try to watch and its not a particular  device as its happening   all across the country.

Official Employee

I want to be clear that I/we have not promised any time for resolution on this. As you can see, it has been a work in progress. I have been transparent here with what steps I have personally taken to get this issue addressed and taken care of. I am included on an email chain that involves what is being done in our systems and behind the scenes with our partners in order to implement a fix. It includes a lot of jargon throughout the debugging and investigation process and there isn't much of it that pertains to our customers directly. Due to that, I am unable to provide an update to you all, until I receive further information that a customer-facing change is being made for this. Until then, I will continue to keep an eye out on our end and I will let you guys know once I have an additional update for you. 

Regular Visitor

Same problem here with X1 watching Netflix (every show) for the last few months. Do we need to get a new box? 

Regular Visitor

We had a service technician come out and he put in a 4K box and the stuttering is gone!!! The technician kept saying changing the box would not make a difference and that the problem was probably with Netflix. He said the only difference is that the 4K box has an SSD drive instead of a hard drive. He would not even acknowledge the skipping when I showed him. He changed the box anyway and the problem is now gone and I can watch Netflix without the horrible frame skips.

Contributor

@cb04 wrote:

We had a service technician come out and he put in a 4K box and the stuttering is gone!!!

Unfortunately, Xfinity removed functionality when they developed the 4K box, leaving those of us who need a digital optical output and analog (RCA) outputs unable to use the 4K box.  But I'm happy the 4K box solved the problem for you.

Contributor

Can try using this to get audio from hdmi with the 4k box.  I never used it so can't comment on it

https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Toslink-Converter/dp/B00KBHX072

Contributor

@Galvin wrote:

Can try using this to get audio from hdmi with the 4k box.  I never used it so can't comment on it

https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Toslink-Converter/dp/B00KBHX072

Thanks Galvin.  Reviews on those adapters are mixed, but I would still need the RCA analog outputs for another piece of equipment.  The older Xfinity boxes have all the necessary ports.  Don't know why Xfinity does this.  When they rolled out their new Gateways, they eliminated two of the original 4 Ethernet ports, again reducing functionality.
Frequent Visitor

I've now been seeing these same problems in DVR recordings over the past few days.  Until now it's been limited to just Netflix.  It looks exactly like the Netflix issue we've all been seeing for the past few months.

Contributor

I am the first one in this thread, page 1, who changed to the 4k box.  That fixed the Netflix stutters.  However, as with zuma15, I too have noticed the problems with DVR recordings recently.  Not as bad as the Netflix stutters were but enough to be annoying.

New Poster

Netflix lag from box

Brand new customer and the netflix "channel" on the box ( i do not have my modem or router hooked up yet) lags and jumps. Though we are paying for internet, we do not have access as of yet, proving it has nothing to do with too many devices using internet at the same time. The dvr box was wrapped in plastic when i picked it up at the xfinity store. So is it the box? Is it the Xfinity service?
I am on the third floor, and the box is in the largest room with lots of open space ( that shouldn't matter anyway as its a wired connectionl) all wires have been re installed and are fully connected. Dvr play back is jumpy too. I've had the service for 3 days, basic package, I'm wondering why I should continue with a service that doesn't actually work as advertised.
Most Valued Poster

@rhagen wrote:

I am the first one in this thread, page 1, who changed to the 4k box.  That fixed the Netflix stutters.  However, as with zuma15, I too have noticed the problems with DVR recordings recently.  Not as bad as the Netflix stutters were but enough to be annoying.

So, one issue is cured with getting a 4K box, but now DVR recordings are stuttering.  That is just choice.  I do believe I will stick with watching Netflix on my Roku 2 and leave it at that.  

Most Valued Poster

I am holding my breath. We do not have the new  box and have no real need for it. Don't want to lose our  very long list of recordings by getting it JUST to stop the Netflix stutter when we still believe its NOT a box problem since it started all of a sudden when nothing else had changed and seems Comcast is working on a solution that does not include a box upgrade.  So far we do not have any stuttering of any  DVR recording and the very recent posts are the first I have heard of this. Holy Moley....if we start getting stuttering other than Netflix I will simply lose whats left of my Comcast user mind. We don't pay extra for Netflix and I would rather deal with the stutter or just not watch it at all if I have to get a new box and lose all my recordings but as I said I do not believe it the box thats the root cause.  We did without Netflix for years and we use it mostly to watch past episodes of network shows for free. 

Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

. Don't want to lose our  very long list of recordings by getting it JUST to stop the Netflix stutter

You're right to be concerned, Terri.  When this first started back in November, a tech came to my house and swapped my DVR box (non-4K for non-4K), assuring me my DVR recordings were kept "in the cloud" and would migrate to the new box.  They didn't.

Most Valued Poster

@mfrank1 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

. Don't want to lose our  very long list of recordings by getting it JUST to stop the Netflix stutter

You're right to be concerned, Terri.  When this first started back in November, a tech came to my house and swapped my DVR box (non-4K for non-4K), assuring me my DVR recordings were kept "in the cloud" and would migrate to the new box.  They didn't.

Yep.... some of them  are in the cloud......BUT you cannot access them on a tv.....thank goodness I never believed that we could

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

I am holding my breath. We do not have the new  box and have no real need for it. Don't want to lose our  very long list of recordings by getting it JUST to stop the Netflix stutter when we still believe its NOT a box problem since it started all of a sudden when nothing else had changed and seems Comcast is working on a solution that does not include a box upgrade.  So far we do not have any stuttering of any  DVR recording and the very recent posts are the first I have heard of this. Holy Moley....if we start getting stuttering other than Netflix I will simply lose whats left of my Comcast user mind. We don't pay extra for Netflix and I would rather deal with the stutter or just not watch it at all if I have to get a new box and lose all my recordings but as I said I do not believe it the box thats the root cause.  We did without Netflix for years and we use it mostly to watch past episodes of network shows for free. 

by 'list of recordings' do you mean actual recordings on the hard drive? or the schedule/priority list  (stored in the cloud not the set top box)?

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@mfrank1 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Yep.... some of them  are in the cloud......BUT you cannot access them on a tv.....thank goodness I never believed that we could 

X1 set top boxes do have access to cloud recordings. If the show is on a hard drive in the home, that version is used in-home. if the show is not on the hard drive, then the cloud DVR copy is used.

Contributor

X1 set top boxes do have access to cloud recordings. If the show is on a hard drive in the home, that version is used in-home. if the show is not on the hard drive, then the cloud DVR copy is used.

All I can tell you is that all but three of my DVR recordings migrated to the new box, amd my DVR was almost 90% full at the time of the swap.  I lost pretty much everything, despite promises to the contrary.

Contributor

When you get a new box.  All your recording on the harddrive are on the cloud instead. But your recording list.  The list that tells you what your box will record next is not lost since thats stored in the cloud anyway.  When you record new shows they'll be stored on the harddrive in the new box

I swapped boxes several times before I got the 4K, and never lost my recordings, they just went to the cloud

Diamond Problem Solver

@Galvin
It’s not all recordings that you have access to after a box swap, it’s the last 60 hours of recordings made.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@ComcastAndrew

@CCAndrew wrote:
@Galvin
It’s not all recordings that you have access to after a box swap, it’s the last 60 hours of recordings made.

Andrew....can you clear this up please. 60 hours of DVR recordings that were on the DVR hard drive would download to a new DVR hard drive or just to the cloud for viewing on other than a TV? This has always been foggy.

Contributor

@CCAndrew wrote:
@Galvin

Sadly, some techs appear not to understand this.  I was assured  by the tech that all my DVR recordings would be recovered from the cloud after a box swap.  I wound up with no change in the Netflix stutter, and almost all of my DVR recordings gone.  I was worse off than I was before I called Comcast for help.