Community Forum

netflix stutter

Contributor

Re: netflix stutter

Even though there is no news about a fix, I'm sure we'd all be interested in learning more about ComcastMorgan's reported meeting with the Netflix team.  Do they acknowlege there is a problem?  Is anyone working on this?  Or do they persist in the fiction that each person's stutter issue is unique to their own location and equipment, as opposed to being a broader network issue? 

Contributor

First World problem, indeed.  But paid for by quite a bit of First World money every month.  Certainly enough to expect some better attention to the issue than we've been getting.

Most Valued Poster

@mfrank1 wrote:

Even though there is no news about a fix, I'm sure we'd all be interested in learning more about ComcastMorgan's reported meeting with the Netflix team.  Do they acknowlege there is a problem?  Is anyone working on this?  Or do they persist in the fiction that each person's stutter issue is unique to their own location and equipment, as opposed to being a broader network issue? 

===

From what I can see by the posts from all over the place..........this is NOT an issue unique to our equipment or location so  they really need to not try to put the problem on our shoulders.

Regular Contributor

After experiencing the stutter, I switched to the XG1v4.  No stutter.

Form what it’s worth..l

Most Valued Poster

@lawnguru wrote:

After experiencing the stutter, I switched to the XG1v4.  No stutter.

Form what it’s worth..l

==

Really glad that helped you  but I cannot imagine having to swap out  a  box to solve this problem when there is no other need for the newer box

Regular Contributor

I agree with you. This gives them a "known good," so they should be able to figure it out. 

Contributor

I also swapped boxes to the 4K and no longer have the issue. I would not have swapped as I can view Netflix via the native Samsung smart TV app but I was experiencing another weird issue where live TV would stutter when another TV in the house was viewing on demand content or Netflix. The 4K box resolved that issue as well. Seems to be software issue on the Arris DVR boxes. Is everyone running the same model? Might be good to catalog that info. 

Frequent Visitor

They have known about this for months the level of how unacceptable this is beyond comprehension. We need info and need to know details of what is being done.
Contributor

I find it interesting that I did receive a call from Comcast in early January after Morgan put in a ticket for me stating that the problem would be fixed by the end of the month but Morgan knows nothing about it.
Contributor

@eeemoney wrote:

I also swapped boxes to the 4K and no longer have the issue.

Unfortunately, Xfinity, in its infinite wisdom, eliminated the digital optical out port on its 4K boxes. That's the port I use to connect to my Sonos Playbar.  And am I correct that they eliminated the clock, as well?  Why reduce functionality in newer equipment?

Frequent Visitor

Comcast sent me a new 4K box, but it only has 2 HDMI ports. My system is older and I need the additional outputs for my sound bar as well. Needless to say, the 4K box went back to Comcast and I'm watching Netflix on my Samsung Blu-ray.

Contributor

Just an FYI :  You can get an adapter that extracts audio from HDMI to Optical and/or analog audio.  Of course we should not have to do this and I would be very upset if Comcast offered this as a solution to me.  (I wouldn’t expect Comcast to even mention this for this reason)  I did use this solution for a short time a while back.  But I recently replaced my TV and it has optical pass through so I no longer need it.  I hope no one gets upset at me just for mentioning it. Smiley Happy

Contributor

The reviews I read regarding these adapters are mixed, with some people unable to get 5.1 consistently out of them.

Contributor

@mvyk wrote:

Comcast sent me a new 4K box, but it only has 2 HDMI ports. My system is older and I need the additional outputs for my sound bar as well. Needless to say, the 4K box went back to Comcast and I'm watching Netflix on my Samsung Blu-ray.

Do you recall if the 4K box also had analog audio/video outputs (RCA cables) like the old DVR boxes?  I use those outputs, as well.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

No, it just as the two HDMI ports. It doesn't have the digital optical or RCA ports like the older boxes. That is the reason I returned it to Comcast.

Contributor

@mvyk wrote:

No, it just as the two HDMI ports. It doesn't have the digital optical or RCA ports like the older boxes. That is the reason I returned it to Comcast.

Thanks.  Isn't it just like Comcast to reduce functionality in their "updated" boxes.

Frequent Visitor

I'm a former home theater system designer and I've never been a big fan of using aftermarket splitters. Thus, I'm keeping my old box and hope Comcast can figure out what the heck is going on.

Contributor

I also agree that it is getting worse, and would have the same audio output issue as others if I switched to the 4K box.
Most Valued Poster

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

There is no new news for this at this time. For those of you new to the forums, you will need to post at least one time publicly, in order to attempt sending me a private message. Thank you. 

I have 875 Posts and been a member here two months shy of 10 years.  One would think that would qualify me to be able to PM.  However, I cannot so I shall overcome.  As for Netflix, well,  those really nice old Roku 2's are selling for well under 20 bucks on Ebay with free shipping.  One of those will soon have my name on it.  Just not worth the hassle to wait ad infinitum for a fix.  

See, here is the thing that really gets me.  Once the posts started rolling in from different people from all over USA describing the same problem, I would think that some, certain employees within the Comcast organization would have at least raised an eyebrow to the possibility of a issue.  Given that this issue has surfaced not long after a major softward update, there should at least have been a few uh-oh moments.   Now fast forward 3 months and six pages on this thread and not only are we still discussing this issue, but the blame is going back and forth between Comcast and Netflix, who by the way, both just gave themselves rate hikes to make themselves more profitable.  That is good, so one would think there would be more money to fix this issue, but instead, according to some of the latest posts, the issue is actually getting worse, not better.  

It should at least be readily apparent to all concerned with Comcast why our level of frustration is reaching its limits.   

Cheers, mates. 

Most Valued Poster

@TiredRetired wrote:

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

There is no new news for this at this time. For those of you new to the forums, you will need to post at least one time publicly, in order to attempt sending me a private message. Thank you. 

I have 875 Posts and been a member here two months shy of 10 years.  One would think that would qualify me to be able to PM.  However, I cannot so I shall overcome.  As for Netflix, well,  those really nice old Roku 2's are selling for well under 20 bucks on Ebay with free shipping.  One of those will soon have my name on it.  Just not worth the hassle to wait ad infinitum for a fix.  

See, here is the thing that really gets me.  Once the posts started rolling in from different people from all over USA describing the same problem, I would think that some, certain employees within the Comcast organization would have at least raised an eyebrow to the possibility of a issue.  Given that this issue has surfaced not long after a major softward update, there should at least have been a few uh-oh moments.   Now fast forward 3 months and six pages on this thread and not only are we still discussing this issue, but the blame is going back and forth between Comcast and Netflix, who by the way, both just gave themselves rate hikes to make themselves more profitable.  That is good, so one would think there would be more money to fix this issue, but instead, according to some of the latest posts, the issue is actually getting worse, not better.  

It should at least be readily apparent to all concerned with Comcast why our level of frustration is reaching its limits.   

Cheers, mates. 

==

So well written and factual. There have been many instances of features going haywire that have been reported from all over the country and many occur after system updates but yet Comcast has pointed to localized or equip related causations and ask us individually to  document  detailed examples such as  inability to delete programs, series not being recorded and other issues many of us had but no explanations of what happened was ever given. Even when widely reported/documented/discussed that  problems are not local or equip related as you so eloquently described there is no admission of 'why' and no resolution.  We are still living with basic interface features that have been gone for years such as real slo mo/frame by frame/recording buffer/remote recording.

Contributor

I am in the SF Bay Area, CA.  I first noticed the stutter 2 days ago when a program that I always record the morning before had the problem.  The recorded program did it again the next day.  This is a regular Network TV program that I watch all the time.  Weird that it would start here a couple of days ago when it looks like the problem has been around for a few months. 

***** Someone mentioned that the problem had been solved, I restarted my box and the problem is now gone.

Most Valued Poster

@Vickig46 wrote:

I am in the SF Bay Area, CA.  I first noticed the stutter 2 days ago when a program that I always record the morning before had the problem.  The recorded program did it again the next day.  This is a regular Network TV program that I watch all the time.  Weird that it would start here a couple of days ago when it looks like the problem has been around for a few months. 

The Netflix stutter has been around a long time and still exists. The skipping and freezing problem on  regular network this week was a nationwide problem and appears to have been fixed last night.

Contributor

I was the second person in this thread to report Netflix stutter back in 11-12-2018.  I replaced my old XG1-A box with a brand new XG1v4 box (4k box) 2 days later and that fixed my Netflix stutter.  All was well until a couple of days ago when I too have noticed recordings are now stuttering as Vickig46 has reported.  I am in Northern Illinois.  My Netflix is still stutter free as are my live TV channels.  It only recorded TV channels that stutter now.  I don’t know if On-Demand stutters or not but my On-Demand video quality is so poor I don’t watch On-Demand any more.

Most Valued Poster

@rhagen wrote:

I was the second person in this thread to report Netflix stutter back in 11-12-2018.  I replaced my old XG1-A box with a brand new XG1v4 box (4k box) 2 days later and that fixed my Netflix stutter.  All was well until a couple of days ago when I too have noticed recordings are now stuttering as Vickig46 has reported.  I am in Northern Illinois.  My Netflix is still stutter free as are my live TV channels.  It only recorded TV channels that stutter now.  I don’t know if On-Demand stutters or not but my On-Demand video quality is so poor I don’t watch On-Demand any more.

On Demand did not stutter/freeze,etc and neither did live TV this week.........it was DVR recordings that went haywire. Totally different from the Netflix stutter.

Contributor

As someone mentioned the problem that I had with the stutter has been fixed.  I rebooted the box and all is good.

Contributor

Yep, my recorded shows are no longer stuttering too.

New Poster

Hello. We have the Netflix Stutter. We’ve had it for a couple months.
Does the best action seem to be rebooting the DVR? Or should we replace the box?
Thanks!
Contributor

@TrentonK23 wrote:
Hello. We have the Netflix Stutter. We’ve had it for a couple months.
Does the best action seem to be rebooting the DVR? Or should we replace the box?
Thanks!

Rebooting is not likely to solve the problem.  Replacing your box with a 4K box seems to be the answer.  If you already have a 4K box, you may want to try a replacement.  Don't count on anyone from Comcast understanding the true nature of the problem.

Most Valued Poster

Spent more time on the phone with some upper level hooptie-doo from India and he did a bunch of stuff including, he claims, an upgrade on something.  45 minutes total time on phone.   Hung up, went back to watching The Punisher and in less then a minute the stutters returned.  

All told I have spent close to 2 hours on the phone with this issue and nothing has changed.  

May be time to trade in the box for a 4K one.  I can run the optical to the sound bar from my TV instead of the 4K box which I understand does not have one.  

New Poster

Thank you.
Official Employee

***Validated Best Answer as of 02/25/19***

Hi everyone. The current fix that is in place for the Netflix app issue is still to swap the existing DVR out for a 4K box, so long as it is fitting for you with any 3rd party audio equipment that you may have. This is something you will need to private message me for, including your name in the private message. Please do not go into your local store to do this, they may not have the appropriate equipment on inventory. Please be aware, that fix is only for those who are experiencing a Netflix stutter on the X1 box Netflix app only. For those of you experiencing other service problems outside of the X1 Netflix app issue on the DVR specifically, there is going to be a different course of action for you. In that case, please create your own post instead of replying in this thread. We will assist you accordingly from there. Thank you. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Hi everyone. The current fix that is in place for the Netflix app issue is still to swap the existing DVR out for a 4K box, so long as it is fitting for you with any 3rd party audio equipment that you may have. This is something you will need to private message me for, including your name in the private message. Please do not go into your local store to do this, they may not have the appropriate equipment on inventory. Please be aware, that fix is only for those who are experiencing a Netflix stutter on the X1 box Netflix app only. For those of you experiencing other service problems outside of the X1 Netflix app issue on the DVR specifically, there is going to be a different course of action for you. In that case, please create your own post instead of replying in this thread. We will assist you accordingly from there. Thank you. 

Thanks so much for the update ComcastMorgan. It just seems a shame that those with zero need for the new type of box have to get it in order to fix the Netflix stutter which did not start until recently.  I don't even get the stutter on all Netflix programs. Get it on  Netflix shows from regular networks but not Netflix originals that we have watched lately. We don't watch many but  watched FYRE and no stutter at all.

Contributor

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

I guess that leaves those of us who cannot make use of the 4K box out of luck, is that correct?  How unfortunate that Comcast decided to limit the functionality of their 4K boxes, specifically by removing the digital optical audio port many of us need.

Official Employee

The 4K box is currently just a confirmed workaround that is in place. However, we understand the box swap option doesn't work for everyone. For those of you it doesn't work for, we're handling those on a case-by-case basis and working to find another solution for you. I have sent you a private message, 

mfrank1. Please reply from there at your convenience.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I'm glad you clarified that this is only a workaround.  As I have previously mentioned on this forum, I did receive earlier this month a call from a Comcast representative based on my PM to you stating that there would be a fix by the end of the month.  Now you, as another Comcast representative say you know nothing about it.  Looks like there needs to be some internal communication there at HQ.

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Can someone from Comcast fix my account so I can PM you so I can give you my name so I can get a new box so I no longer endure the stutters?  

Thank You!!!  

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastMorgan So it sounds like we should try waiting until end of month by a previous post. Also I don’t have a 4K tv so I assume the new 4K box will still work with my standard HD tv?
Most Valued Poster

@thunderwalker wrote:
@ComcastMorgan So it sounds like we should try waiting until end of month by a previous post. Also I don’t have a 4K tv so I assume the new 4K box will still work with my standard HD tv?

I would also like to know about this. I have a standard HD TV and no plans to upgrade and I have zero need to switch out for the 4K box and lose all my recordings just to fix something with Netflix that just started a month or so ago. Can this really be tied to the box ? That is difficult to believe. Netflix is an app among so many apps on X1 and should not be controlling the platform by requiring a new box...ludicrous.

Official Employee

You do not need to have a 4K TV in order to be able to utilize regular cable service on our 4K box. However, in order to watch actual 4K content, you would need a 4K TV.

TiredRetired, are you not seeing an envelope icon when you click on my name?

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

You do not need to have a 4K TV in order to be able to utilize regular cable service on our 4K box. However, in order to watch actual 4K content, you would need a 4K TV.

TiredRetired, are you not seeing an envelope icon when you click on my name?

Nothing.  If you scroll down from the screenshot all there is, is a record of your replies.  Chrome browser on a Mac maybe an issue?   I just do not know.  

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 9.21.40 AM.png

Most Valued Poster

Just tried Safari browser and same thing.  Only two browsers I have on my MAC. 

Frequent Visitor

So just for fun I did a hard reboot of box and still stutter crazy
Official Employee

TiredRetired ~ I cannot see the photo because it's pending approval by our Community Manager. I will get with them to have this expedited and will reach back out to you shortly. 

Make sure you have reset the Netflix app as well, thunderwalker. If you continue to experience problems, please send me a private message with your name. 

Frequent Visitor

How do I reset it?
Official Employee

Please follow these steps: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/netflix-x1-app-frozen even though you're not experiencing a frozen screen. That has fixed this problem for several employees and customers. It's not guaranteed to work in your case, but please attempt it and let me know the result. 

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Please follow these steps: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/netflix-x1-app-frozen even though you're not experiencing a frozen screen. That has fixed this problem for several employees and customers. It's not guaranteed to work in your case, but please attempt it and let me know the result. 

Thanks for sharing this again and have tried it a couple of times but nothing changed

Frequent Visitor

Okay will try
Official Employee

I understand, TerriB. I remember working with you in a private message. If you change your mind and would like me to open a research request for you or send out a 4K DVR box to you, I can do that. Thank you. 

I'll be here if you need me, thunderwalker.

Official Employee

Hello again everyone. I just wanted to provide an update, as this has been a continued investigation for a couple months now. I now have a separate incident request created for this and it's being looked at and monitored at a high level as we speak. For those of you who have already sent me private messages, great. That helped a lot with gathering enough info and getting enough examples of this problem. For those of you that haven't sent me a PM and are still experiencing this problem, additional private messages are no longer needed at this time. Once I have an additional update for you guys regarding this fix (beyond the swap to a 4K box) I will post another update here. Thank you all very much. 

Contributor

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Hello again everyone. I just wanted to provide an update, as this has been a continued investigation for a couple months now. I now have a separate incident request created for this and it's being looked at and monitored at a high level as we speak. For those of you who have already sent me private messages, great. That helped a lot with gathering enough info and getting enough examples of this problem. For those of you that haven't sent me a PM and are still experiencing this problem, additional private messages are no longer needed at this time. Once I have an additional update for you guys regarding this fix (beyond the swap to a 4K box) I will post another update here. Thank you all very much. 

Thanks for keeping us posted.