Community Forum

how are x1 boxes connected to internet/

Regular Contributor

how are x1 boxes connected to internet/

so if internet doesn't work neither do x1 boxes.  but how are they connected?  i have a regular modem  i was not giving the x1 gateway 3 modem when the x1 boxes were installed. i was told i didn't need to change my modem.  i have a router which i have set up with a password.  the technician never asked for password.  so then how do my boxes use wifi/internet to talk to each other?  i ask because last weekend my x1 boxes were not working and my internet was slower then slow i have 105 package and when i was able to do 1 speedtest it came back at 1mb download.  i was told x1 doens't work if internet has problems and they would need to address them. spoke to 4 different people (turned out there was outage in area no one at xfinity knew)  today same problem internet doesn't work  i removed router from set up directly to modem reboot everything now phone doesn't work internet still doesn't work and no tv.  hook up router telephone works internet still slow and no tv.  (found xfinity tech working on lines tells me there is alot of noise so that is why nothing working)  again xfinity knows nothing about sets up appointment and is sending me the x1 gateway modem as no offices have it. 

so again how does the x1 box connect to internet?  and should i install the gateway when it gets here or continue with the equipment i have?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: how are x1 boxes connected to internet/

X1 boxes have their own modems and make their own connections to the internet over your cable TV line. You existing modem has nothing to do with X1 other than Comcast highly recommends you have a DOCSIS 3 spec modem.

The ethernet jacks on the back of X1 boxes are disabled and serve no purpose currently.

Laurie wrote:

so if internet doesn't work neither do x1 boxes.  but how are they connected?  i have a regular modem  i was not giving the x1 gateway 3 modem when the x1 boxes were installed. i was told i didn't need to change my modem.  i have a router which i have set up with a password.  the technician never asked for password.  so then how do my boxes use wifi/internet to talk to each other?  i ask because last weekend my x1 boxes were not working and my internet was slower then slow i have 105 package and when i was able to do 1 speedtest it came back at 1mb download.  i was told x1 doens't work if internet has problems and they would need to address them. spoke to 4 different people (turned out there was outage in area no one at xfinity knew)  today same problem internet doesn't work  i removed router from set up directly to modem reboot everything now phone doesn't work internet still doesn't work and no tv.  hook up router telephone works internet still slow and no tv.  (found xfinity tech working on lines tells me there is alot of noise so that is why nothing working)  again xfinity knows nothing about sets up appointment and is sending me the x1 gateway modem as no offices have it. 

so again how does the x1 box connect to internet?  and should i install the gateway when it gets here or continue with the equipment i have?

Regular Contributor

well i have a DOCSIS 3 modem.  and thank you for responding.  so why does comcast insist on checking my internet if the x1 boxes are not working. and why did they say that the x1 boxes would then use the 2.4 network on the gateway box they are sending me.  I asked if i had to do anything special with the x1 boxes when i received the new modem and she said it would get activation page for modem and follow directions.

so if my x1 tv boxes are not connecting to the internet it has nothing to do with my service but the outside service?

Problem Solver

The X1 boxes do have their own embedded Cable Modem, much like what Rick had mentioned. This cable modem workes with the coaxial cables and different frequencies to get its signal.

If you get a message that your X1 boxes are having trouble connecting to Comcast servers, best thing to do is restart your  your cable box.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

What does X1 have to do with WiFi?

The last time I checked, X1 boxes have an ethernet port they do not use and they have no way or no need to make a WiFi connection.

Am I missing something here?

ComcastBrandon wrote:

The X1 boxes do have their own embedded Cable Modem, much like what Rick had mentioned.  However, the boxes will connect to the strongest WiFI source.  If this happens to be the wifi from your Wireless Gateway (router modem combo) then it will use that signal.  If not, the cable box will use its own embedded modem to connect to our servers for updates, On Demand and DVR services.

Most customers have a Wireless Gateway DOCSIS 3.0 modems along side their X1 equipment.  Since the X1 cable boxes rely on specific signal levels, its easist for our reps to troubleshoot the internet to find out if the signals need to be adjusted.

If you get a message that your X1 boxes are having trouble connecting to Comcast servers, best thing to do is restart your Wireless Gateway, then restart your cable box.

Regular Contributor

Comcast did not give me a wireless gateway when they installed the x1 tv equipment.  i was told by the person who took the order and the technician who installed the x1 tv boxes i did not need to cange the modem i was using which is NOT a gateway modem.  i have my own router to do wifi in house and it has a password which nobody asked for.  Even the technician who came out for service call for x1 boxes (they kept freezing and giiving error message both master and slave unit) told me i did not need to change my modem to the gateway model.

however every time my x1 tv boxes freeze because they can't find internet signal your x1 and comcast customer service tell me its my internet connection problem.

and everytime it has been that there is a OUTAGE in the area.  So it is not the modem you gave me or my router that is the problem. 

I am also the only one on the street with Comcast so  its hard to say there is an outage if no one else calls but me.

Gold Problem Solver

If internet and cable TV are both going down, there is probably something wrong with the lines outside of your house. The cable that runs from the box in the street up to the side of your house is called the "drop" and it needs to be checked. I've seen drops fail many times in the past. Critters chew on the wire. Someone hits the cable with a lawn mower or weed whip. A couple years ago, I was at a customers house where someone hit the box in the yard with a lawn mower so hard that it put such a sharp bend in the cable that it ruined the connection. Just two weeks ago, my town home association had new mail boxes installed. When they were digging holes for the new posts, someone whacked a Comcast line underground and messed up the signal for our entire association.

Sounds like you need to get a tech back out to your house...  

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Problem Solver

Comcast Brandon:

Are you saying that all our X-1 DVR boxes run on Wi-FI priority, and that the boxes only use the built in modem secondly. What about the people who have Cisco Gateways XB3 are they then Moca connected to the DVR box from the Gateway????

Gold Problem Solver

If X1 boxes were WiFi we would see them on our WiFi connection setups and across our home networks. I have my main X1 hardwired to the internet (I don't know why) and I still don't see it on my home network.

I would think if X1 had WiFi capability we would know it by now. I have a feeling Brandon is mistaken.

corgi11 wrote:

Comcast Brandon:

Are you saying that all our X-1 DVR boxes run on Wi-FI priority, and that the boxes only use the built in modem secondly. What about the people who have Cisco Gateways XB3 are they then Moca connected to the DVR box from the Gateway????

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Off topic post removed. Personal attacks are a violation of the forum guidelines. The post was reported by a Comcast employee. If you have an issue with the moderating please contact the community manager Comcast Larry.

Problem Solver

corgi11 wrote:

Comcast Brandon:

The infomation given by brandon is is not correct!

Problem Solver

EG wrote:
Off topic post removed. Personal attacks are a violation of the forum guidelines. The post was reported by a Comcast employee. If you have an issue with the moderating please contact the community manager Comcast Larry.

It was not my intenion to personally attack you or comcast brandon! I am sorry for the post!

I do hope you personally understand why It was posted!

Problem Solver

My apologies, I was mistaken.  The X1 box gets its signal via coaxial cable.  It uses a different frequency through the coaxial cable.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Problem Solver

ComcastBrandon wrote:

My apologies, I was mistaken.  The X1 box gets its signal via coaxial cable.  It uses a different frequency through the coaxial cable.

It is all good! welcome to the forum Brandon! What part of Comcast do you work for? I ask so I can count on you for your speciality! It is nice to start to see more comcast folks on here!

Gold Problem Solver

Brandon we are happy to have another Comcast voice here in the forum HOWEVER because you are a "Comcast voice" it is imperative that the information you provide us going forward is 110% accurate.

Welcome to the forum. It may seem hard to believe but we actually have fun here...

ComcastBrandon wrote:

Problem Solver

RickGr4 wrote:

Brandon we are happy to have another Comcast voice here in the forum HOWEVER because you are a "Comcast voice" it is imperative that the information you provide us going forward is 110% accurate.

Welcome to the forum. It may seem hard to believe but we actually have fun here...

ComcastBrandon wrote:

sometimes it is like facebook on drugs!

Silver Problem Solver

gotpizza wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

ComcastBrandon wrote:

sometimes it is like facebook on drugs!

That's the way USENET was in the '80's.  And there were no net nannys.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Problem Solver

Thank you for your input on Comcast Forums.  Due to no activity, post is closing.  Please feel free to start a new topic for your issue.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon