Community Forum

connecting XGiV4 DVR to a LG Monitor

Regular Visitor

connecting XGiV4 DVR to a LG Monitor

Bought a new LG 27UK850 Monitor.   Connected to XGiV4  DVR with the HDMI cable supplied with the Monitor.  Picture quality is great.  The XR15 remote works correctly to change channels, see the guide, voice control work, but I have no ability to control volume, mute, or power off.   I have to adjust the volume manually on the Monitor, as well as turn off the Monitor manually.   Tried all of the LG codes in the Remote setup instructions, as well as the "if no codes work method of trying 991 and CH up repeatedly.  

1.) does anyone know if Xfinity remotes can control a Monitor at all, given Monitors usually don't have remotes in the first place like TV's?  Can't find anything much on forums specifically talking about Monitors. The two comcast tech's I've spoken with don't seem to know the answer either.  Old cable boxes from 20 years ago had the ability to adust sound coming out of it with its own remote, which was independent of a TV's remote.  Don't understand why this ability doesn't still exist in today's modern cable boxes.  Is it not possible to control the audio signal going down an HDMI cable? Some smaller size TV's are not being made any more by manufactureres, so the only option for these specific sizes is a Monitor.  

2.) I haven't tried this, but wonder if I need to run a separate audio chord from the XGiV4 DVR to the Monitor in order to get the remote to control the Volume separately from the video feed?

3.) Does anyone have any suggestions to help control volume and also be able to mute?  One suggestion I've have received is to add a blue tooth capable soundbar.  My only concern is the XR-15 remote not pairing with the soundbar.  Asked Comcast rep if they had a list of known soundbars that work with XGiV4  DVR and XR15 remote, and was told no such list exists. 

Has anyone been successful at pairing a Sony HT-200F soundbar with a XR15 remote?

Official Employee

Re: connecting XGiV4 DVR to a LG Monitor

1) No it won’t
2)Even if you run a separate audio cord to the monitor, it wouldn’t matter because the remote still can’t control the monitor
3)There isn’t a list for distinct models, just brands.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks Andrew. 

I plan to buy a Polk Soundbar.  Already found other posts indicating the XR-15 can control it's volume.

Wondering now if the XR-15 remote is capable of controlling any power strips that use an IR or RF remote.   Do you know if this has been tried?  I have found that some universal remotes have worked.  If the XR-15 remote is capable of controlling the power strip, then I would be able to plug the Monitor into the strip and have the ability to turn the monitor on/off.

Official Employee

That would be a negative, the remote is only for compatible audio and visual equipment

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the quick response.  Given that I want a remote to turn on/off the Monitor, I went ahead and ordered a Belkin Surge Protector (F7C01008q) with RF remote.  Will give this a try, as it seems to be my only option. I will use the XR15 remote to control the Comcast box (channels, guide, DVR), and the volume of the Polk Soundbar, and use the Belkin remote to power on/off the monitor.  This method will alllow me stream audio music via bluetooth from other devices to the Soundbar without the monitor having to be on.

If by chance I can get the Xfinity remote to recognize the Belkin RF remote, then I will post an update for others to see.  Thanks again for your comments Andrew