Community Forum

XiD-C box has no live TV buffer. Pause, rewind, FF are useless for live TV

Contributor

XiD-C box has no live TV buffer. Pause, rewind, FF are useless for live TV

I have just converted 2 boxes from legacy to X1. I have an Arris Xg1v3 DVR and XiD-C companion box. Everything seems to be working with one major exception, The XiD box doesnt have the 25 min live TV buffer. If I hit pause while watching live TV, it will pause for maybe 60 seconds before automatically playing again. FF and rewind just take me back to live TV. Further attempts to use pause, rewind, or FF sometimes gets error messages like "Pause isnt available this set-top box doesnt support it" .  I can schedule and watch recordings just fine from the XiD box. Its only the live TV which is causing issues. FF,rewind, and pause work fine for recorded shows and on demand. I have swapped out both the DVR and XiD boxes with no change to the problem. Note this is only occurring on the XiD box, live TV is fine on the DVR . Any idea what is causing this ?? 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: XiD-C box has no live TV buffer. Pause, rewind, FF are useless for live TV

@bnc wrote:

I have just converted 2 boxes from legacy to X1. I have an Arris Xg1v3 DVR and XiD-C companion box. Everything seems to be working with one major exception, The XiD box doesnt have the 25 min live TV buffer. If I hit pause while watching live TV, it will pause for maybe 60 seconds before automatically playing again. FF and rewind just take me back to live TV. Further attempts to use pause, rewind, or FF sometimes gets error messages like "Pause isnt available this set-top box doesnt support it" .  I can schedule and watch recordings just fine from the XiD box. Its only the live TV which is causing issues. FF,rewind, and pause work fine for recorded shows and on demand. I have swapped out both the DVR and XiD boxes with no change to the problem. Note this is only occurring on the XiD box, live TV is fine on the DVR . Any idea what is causing this ?? 

Notice the feature list for each X1 STB:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@bnc wrote:

Yes and it states XiD boxes support Pause and Rewind Live TV up to 25 min ?

Silver Problem Solver

@bnc wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@bnc wrote:

Yes and it states XiD boxes support Pause and Rewind Live TV up to 25 min ?

You might have an issue with the SD card; it might be worth your trouble to do a free swap at your nearest Xfinity  Store (I only use the XG2).

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

As stated in my initial post :

"I have swapped out both the DVR and XiD boxes with no change to the problem."

Expert

@bnc wrote:

after both set top boxes are up and running go to the xiD TV and verify video is working. pull the power plug on the DVR. does the video keep playing on the XiD?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

If I pull the DVR power plug while the XiD is playing live TV, the XiD will freeze and eventually display an error message. I believe this is expected behavior since the XiD does not have any tuners of its own and actually uses the a DVR tuner to play live TV.
Expert

@bnc wrote:
If I pull the DVR power plug while the XiD is playing live TV, the XiD will freeze and eventually display an error message. I believe this is expected behavior since the XiD does not have any tuners of its own and actually uses the a DVR tuner to play live TV.

you said 'if' - but did you try it? the xi3/d has a dual role as an X1 companion or a stand-alone DTA (video IP TV but not connected to the X1 system).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

It’s very obvious that I did
Expert

@bnc wrote:
It’s very obvious that I did

go to the TV connected to your DVR. do the voice command 'about'. what is the rest of the line to the right of "STB Version"?

Contributor

CXD01ANI_3.7p2s1_PROD_sey
Highlighted
Contributor

previous was the XiD

The DVR is:

AX013AN_3.7p2s1_PROD_sey

Expert

@bnc wrote:
previous was the XiD

The DVR is:

AX013AN_3.7p2s1_PROD_sey

a Comcast official employee will reply here shortly (usually within 72 hours). Do you have a local Xfinity store nearby? a larger unit that is the same price is an XG2 which has its own tuners and data modem. you could swap the xiD for that or another XiD to rule out the XiD being the problem. the XG2 has a built in memory card. An advantage of using the XG2 is that you will free up a tuner on your DVR that the XiD had to borrow and the Xg2 can support up to 3 XiD/Xi3/Xi5/Xi6 devices.

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@bnc wrote:
previous was the XiD

The DVR is:

AX013AN_3.7p2s1_PROD_sey

a Comcast official employee will reply here shortly (usually within 72 hours). Do you have a local Xfinity store nearby? a larger unit that is the same price is an XG2 which has its own tuners and data modem. you could swap the xiD for that or another XiD to rule out the XiD being the problem. the XG2 has a built in memory card. An advantage of using the XG2 is that you will free up a tuner on your DVR that the XiD had to borrow and the Xg2 can support up to 3 XiD/Xi3/Xi5/Xi6 devices.

I called the local Xfinity store and was told each household can have only one "main" box and that an XG2 was a main box and could not swap it for an XiD .

Expert

@bnc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@bnc wrote:
previous was the XiD

The DVR is:

AX013AN_3.7p2s1_PROD_sey

I called the local Xfinity store and was told each household can have only one "main" box and that an XG2 was a main box and could not swap it for an XiD .

just go 'in' to the xfinity store. turn in the xiD at the front and ask the agent for an xg2. (be sure it is an xg2 it will be much heavier). will probably come with the new xr15 remote too. print this out if you like and say you are attempting to fix your problem. 

Official Employee

bnc, thank you for reaching out here on the forums, sorry for the delay! I can help here if you haven't already gone to the store for a new box. Please feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name to get started! 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “Send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I went to the local Xfinity store and asked for something different from the XiD-C since a previous swap to a second XiD-C had failed to solve the live TV buffer problem. I was given a Xi3 and the problem is solved. I can pause, rewind, and FF with a live TV buffer of 25 min.
Expert

@bnc wrote:
I went to the local Xfinity store and asked for something different from the XiD-C since a previous swap to a second XiD-C had failed to solve the live TV buffer problem. I was given a Xi3 and the problem is solved. I can pause, rewind, and FF with a live TV buffer of 25 min.

weird, the xi3 is just a bit older version of what is now the xiD

Official Employee

bnc, thank you for keeping us updated! Please let us know if there's anything else we can help out with. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.