Community Forum

XiD Box

Regular Contributor

XiD Box

I recently switched to X1 service and Comcast provided an XiD box as the non-DVR box.

Is this particular box designed to remain powered on 24/7?

Although the box is understandably warm, there are no vent holes in this model that I can see, that will dissipate any heat.

Thank you for any replies.
Expert

Re: XiD Box

@edwardp wrote:
I recently switched to X1 service and Comcast provided an XiD box as the non-DVR box.

Is this particular box designed to remain powered on 24/7?

Although the box is understandably warm, there are no vent holes in this model that I can see, that will dissipate any heat.

Thank you for any replies.

box is not normally reported as 'warm' as it is extremely low powered and energy-efficient. you can always swap stating it is running to warm. you can swap for an Xg2 that has its own tuners so a tuner is not 'taken' from your in-home DVR (state you wish to use all 6 tuners at same time in recording). same price but is a bigger box. the xg2 can support 3 other xid type set top boxes leaving the available tuners in the DVR untouched.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

box is not normally reported as 'warm' as it is extremely low powered and energy-efficient. you can always swap stating it is running to warm. you can swap for an Xg2 that has its own tuners so a tuner is not 'taken' from your in-home DVR (state you wish to use all 6 tuners at same time in recording). same price but is a bigger box. the xg2 can support 3 other xid type set top boxes leaving the available tuners in the DVR untouched.

Thank you for the reply. I eventually discovered the Power Saver entry and will try that this evening on both of the boxes.

Regular Contributor

With Power Saver on, I noticed on the XiD box, it took more than four hours after turning the TV off, for the Power Saver mode to kick in (when power light on box turned off). The main X1 DVR box is probably the same.

As long as the boxes receive the updates when scheduled overnight - while the box is in Power Saver mode, I'll be fine with that.
Regular Contributor

I have noticed the box isn't as warm, when it's in Power Saver mode. So I'll leave Power Saver mode on. Thank you for the reply.