Community Forum

Xi6 release date and more 4K content?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Xi6 release date and more 4K content?

JasonPG wrote: No downgrading is going on. The new format will be mpeg4 @ 1080p 60 fps.

Please see http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/1080i-channels-are-being-changed-to-720p60-channels/m-p/...

where employee ComcastTeds wrote:

... As part of our ongoing work to improve and modernize the way we deliver HD channels, we are transitioning all of our HD streams to “progressive” format. We are making this change in conjunction with the transition to MPEG-4. This means that some channels that were delivered in 1080i will now be delivered in 720p60. ...

New Poster

Please do not bash end users for Comcast's dreadful forum software.

Most forums have real moderators and put frequently-asked questions like "when is 4k coming out" on a sticky so that users see this first. Comcast doesn't. Users page 1-2 times through the forum and see that there's nothing recent on 4k and ask.  If it were sticky at the top, they wouldn't do that.

Most companies have a social media team providing real information. Comcast doesn't. If current information were available on their website, people wouldn't have to ask over and over.

Contributor

@jbburks wrote:

Most forums have real moderators and put frequently-asked questions like "when is 4k coming out" on a sticky so that users see this first. Comcast doesn't. Users page 1-2 times through the forum and see that there's nothing recent on 4k and ask.  If it were sticky at the top, they wouldn't do that.

Most companies have a social media team providing real information. Comcast doesn't. If current information were available on their website, people wouldn't have to ask over and over.

THANK YOU. All I want is up to date information on what the companies whose services I use are doing. I want to see what's coming out and when. Is that too much to ask? lol. That's why I come here. Seems I can't really get the info anywhere else

Silver Problem Solver

@jarlmaster47 wrote:

@jbburks wrote:

THANK YOU. All I want is up to date information on what the companies whose services I use are doing. I want to see what's coming out and when. Is that too much to ask? lol. That's why I come here. Seems I can't really get the info anywhere else

I use google a lot for 4k, 8k, UHD, etc.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@jarlmaster47 wrote:

@jbburks wrote:

I use google a lot for 4k, 8k, UHD, etc.

That's not helpful. I google too, but the information I find is sporadic, conflicting, and vague. 

Expert

As of today, 12/16/16, my Cisco RNG 150N cable-box was updated this morning. I believe the conversion to mpeg4 with only the local 1080i channels being left at 1080i is near completion now in our metro area. Exceptions would be linear channels 876 (NFL HD) and 877 (NBC Sports HD). ON DEMAND cable will still output shows produced in (1920 x 1080) / 60i. An example would be the History Channel showing programs in (1280 x 720) / 60p when first shown. A day or two later I can still watch the same show in (1920 x 1080) / 60i.

I can live with waiting to see the 2.1 million pixel version versus 0.922 million pixel version.

I have been reading up on the mpeg4 convention. ironically; it is used to render better 3D programing even with 3D being pushed in the background for now on cable. Parts of mpeg4 are being using by many transmitting sources and is not locked in stone.

While Comcast is currently using 720 p, mpeg4 while working on their current system, it does not keep them from eventually getting X1 cable-boxes capable of 1080p, or 4K, using mpeg4 somtime in the future.

My 2015 Samsung 3D UHD television does an excellent job up-scaling to 4K picture. I believe there is some improvement in 720p picture with mpeg4, and 1080i is no worse than mpeg2. It is possible that people using a cable-boxes in areas still in transition could be seeing noticable problems with 1080i video signal on their television.

For now I am willing to wait and see what Comcast does in 2017.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

The conversion to MPEG4 is certainly a good thing and I'm willing to wait too. I've noticed that recently, live TV is looking better for me. Some channels could be a little grainy sometimes and now they seem a lot sharper. So that's a positive. We'll have to see what happens. 

New Poster

You are most definitely NOT getting all of your Comcast channells in 1080p