Community Forum

Xi6 box terrible picture

Frequent Visitor

Xi6 box terrible picture

I recently upgraded to the Xi6 box for my new Samsung Q6 UHD tv.  I set the device picture setting to the UHD (best available) option, and the picture on the tv is still awful.

I go to my HBO NOW app to check as comparison and picture in amazing.  I've tried everything!  What is going on?!  I'm at my wits end.  Any advice on improving picture quality using Xfinity on the new 4k tv would be appreciated. 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Xi6 box terrible picture

Please be more specific about the issues that you are seeing. What are the comparing it to?

It could be many things.
Frequent Visitor

hard to explain unless you're seeing it,  but just doesn't look hd.  almost a cloudiness that comes in and out,  like it's struggling to keep up with high resolution.  I have new hdmi cables from best buy, uhd & hdr compatible, so doubt it's those.

I plugged in via Ethernet too (I originally had the Xi6 box over wifi, but can connect with cat6 too), but that didn't help.

I'm on the X1 starter double play plan (looks like only downloads up to 150 mbps), wondering if that could be the issue since the box connects through internet, instead of coax. ??

Gold Problem Solver

Yes it can be difficult to describe unless the rest of us can see it.

That being said, poor picture quality can come from a variety of places. The only way we can help you is to know more details. What is the exact model number of your TV? How are things connected? What additional audio video products are involved?

I have said this many times before. The more information you provide, the more help you will receive.
Frequent Visitor

TV model is the Samsung Q6F (model QN65Q6FNAFXZA).  Connected to xfinity Xi6 box via Rocketfish HDMI cable (model RF-HG08501).  the Xi6 box is connected with cat6 Ethernet (also connects wifi with same result).

I have a ps4 connected to the tv via a second HDMI cable, same model as above.  HBO NOW app played directly through the tv is flawless.  The feed from the ps4 is outstanding as well. The picture when connecting to the Xi6 xfinity box has been sub par  (grainy/cloudy at times).  I have picture resolution set to 'best available'.   Re:  the question above about internet speed,  is my 150 mbps package enough to support the Xi6?

Gold Problem Solver

1. Lets assume everything is working properly and your signal levels are within spec. X1 boxes use a cloud based guide and have proven to be very signal sensitive.

2. I have found that X1 boxes have a very soft and muted picture quality. Especially when the XG1V4 set to 4K (best picture available). I have also found that the XG1V4 4K DVR has noticably better picture quality when set to 1080p/60.

3. Even though X1's picture quality is "soft", I find it looks acceptable on medium to bright scenes. The area where X1 falls flat on it's face is dark scenes. The video noise (banding or gradient) noise is horrible. I suspect limited bandwidth, slow bit rates and extreme video compression. As much as I enjoy watching "The Blacklist" the picture quality on X1 is a disaster.

4. I am not a fan of LCD/LED TV sets for a variety of reasons. I would rather watch my 2012 Panasonic Plasma than just about any LCD/LED TV set. That being said, LCD/LED TV sets can be greatly improved on when adjusted to the right settings. I suggest you visit a website such as rtings.com and learn how to correctly adjust the picture settings on your TV.

5. I have no interest in a wireless cable box, especially a 4K wireless box.

@bdars16 wrote:

TV model is the Samsung Q6F (model QN65Q6FNAFXZA).  Connected to xfinity Xi6 box via Rocketfish HDMI cable (model RF-HG08501).  the Xi6 box is connected with cat6 Ethernet (also connects wifi with same result).

I have a ps4 connected to the tv via a second HDMI cable, same model as above.  HBO NOW app played directly through the tv is flawless.  The feed from the ps4 is outstanding as well. The picture when connecting to the Xi6 xfinity box has been sub par  (grainy/cloudy at times).  I have picture resolution set to 'best available'.   Re:  the question above about internet speed,  is my 150 mbps package enough to support the Xi6?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the replies.  much appreciated.   Is there a xfinity X1 uhd box (connected via coax, instead of wireless) you'd suggest, over the others?..  if I were to return and replace my Xi6 box.

Or based on what I'm reading, am I better off moving off from comcast tv altogher?

Expert

@bdars16 wrote:

Thanks for the replies.  much appreciated.   Is there a xfinity X1 uhd box (connected via coax, instead of wireless) you'd suggest, over the others?..  if I were to return and replace my Xi6 box.

Or based on what I'm reading, am I better off moving off from comcast tv altogher?

It looks like you purchased a lower level 60 Hz UHD television without being aware of the fact there is nothing live in 4K coming over the air, or on standard cable. You are likely past the 30-day period so jumping ship is going to cost you.

Since you have a smart television with apps built in, and if you have at least 40Mbts/sec. down-load speed for broadband. I would install the You Tube app found under your Samsung recommended apps. Use the search field and type in: "UHD 4K HDR" to start with. There are ten's of thousands of 4K videos by now. You do not have to join or sign in to You Tube to view these and they are "free".

You should find video for: 1080p, 1440p, 2160p, 4320p (8K played in 4k), are all spectacular. I get 45+ channels over the air (antenna) in my metro area. for fast moving sports on a 1080i network the antenna can provide a better signal than X1 box conversion to a 4K television.

Since your television can get you all the apps used by Comcast, you can get by with a RNG150N (HD) cable-box. I have a Cisco RNG150N box. It does a better job delivering an acceptable picture on my television watching cable channels found on Comcast preferred service. You could exchange your current box for one of these if you prefer.

By the time your contract expires there may be better options for 4K viewing. I am in no hurry to change change what I have now. I have Real 3D which I can use to convert any video in 720p or above from 2D to 3D for outdoor programing or sports. I am fine with the current situation, and have had my Samsung 3D UHD, curved 65 inch, 120 Hz television since January 2016.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Mark,

The 65 Q6 is a 120hz TV and it is the entry level of Samsung's top of the line QLED TV sets. It's a pretty decent TV set. But it is still an LCD/LED TV set which means it needs tons of adjustments to look it's best. 

But we need to get serious here. I have had an XG1V4 for a year now and I can honestly say I have a love/hate relationship with it. We all know that linear cable is 720p or 1080i. Only Netflix and Amazon offer 4K streaming content on Xfinity. 

The pros of the XG1V4:

1. It runs cool and quiet.

2. It is very quick responding to the remote. At times it is much quicker than my XG2's. 

3.  It's 1080p picture quality ain't bad and is probably the best picture quality I have seen from an X1 box. 

The cons of the XG1V4:

1. There is something wrong with the 4K picture quality. I don't know if the problem is firmware or hardware such as the chipset. What I do know is when set to 4K the XG1V4 has an extremely soft and muted picture quality. Both my Sony 4K Blu-ray player and my Roku Ultra blow it away. The difference in picture quality is so noticable that it is worth taking the time to change the input on my TV. However I use programmable universal remotes so changing inputs is super easy.

2. For those of us who use 3rd party remotes, that brings in the other problem with the XG1V4. It's infrared signal receiving capability is very weak. Users must point IR remotes directly at the XG1V4 or it doesn't respond. 

I for one am looking forward to Comcast's next generation of boxes.....

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@bdars16 wrote:

It looks like you purchased a lower level 60 Hz UHD television without being aware of the fact there is nothing live in 4K coming over the air, or on standard cable. You are likely past the 30-day period so jumping ship is going to cost you.

Since you have a smart television with apps built in, and if you have at least 40Mbts/sec. down-load speed for broadband. I would install the You Tube app found under your Samsung recommended apps. Use the search field and type in: "UHD 4K HDR" to start with. There are ten's of thousands of 4K videos by now. You do not have to join or sign in to You Tube to view these and they are "free".

You should find video for: 1080p, 1440p, 2160p, 4320p (8K played in 4k), are all spectacular. I get 45+ channels over the air (antenna) in my metro area. for fast moving sports on a 1080i network the antenna can provide a better signal than X1 box conversion to a 4K television.

Since your television can get you all the apps used by Comcast, you can get by with a RNG150N (HD) cable-box. I have a Cisco RNG150N box. It does a better job delivering an acceptable picture on my television watching cable channels found on Comcast preferred service. You could exchange your current box for one of these if you prefer.

By the time your contract expires there may be better options for 4K viewing. I am in no hurry to change change what I have now. I have Real 3D which I can use to convert any video in 720p or above from 2D to 3D for outdoor programing or sports. I am fine with the current situation, and have had my Samsung 3D UHD, curved 65 inch, 120 Hz television since January 2016.

Expert

Rick:

My brother has a 2018 Q9 (top of the line QLED). Q6 would be a newer version of the 6000 series. It used to be a 60 Hz television. 7000 series, and above, were 120 Hz televisions.

Mark

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Gold Problem Solver

Mark,

Sorry to disagree but I don't think you fully understand Samsung's model number system.

A Q6 is roughly an 8000 series TV with a quantum dot (higher contrast) panel. The 49" Q6 is a 60hz panel. All larger Q6's are 120hz panels.

A Q6 is three or four notches up the ladder from a 6000 series TV set.

That being said, like most other TV sets it can benefit from correct picture settings and it doesn't change the fact that X1's picture quality leaves a great deal to be desired.
Frequent Visitor

1.   I'm pretty confident the motion rate on this particular 2018 model (QN65Q6FNAFXZA) is 240 (not 60).  I'll have to double check..  I know it's not 60 though, and definitely not a lower end tv.

2. Of course I understand 4k doesn't come through broadcast or standard cable.

If you read the thread,  the point is the picture coming through the Xi6 comcast cable box is sub par.  Even just comparing to standard hd setups throughout the home.

You'd think upgrading to the Xi6 box, connected to the most powerful tv in the home would improve picture quality;  not decrease quality.  Everything else connected to the tv comes through amazing (ps4, apps, etc).

Frequent Visitor

And thanks Rick for the info re:  XG1V4.    I think I'll give it a try.  It'll probably play better with the rest of my setup (dvr etc) than the wireless Xi6.  Netflix, HBO NOW, etc I just connect through the tv apps anyhow which work great.

I just want the best picture possible when watching live ballgames and whatnot through comcast programming.  hopefully XG1V4 will provide some improvements in that aspect.

Gold Problem Solver

bdars16,

You are making a very common mistake. Refresh rates and motion rates are very different things. Motion rates are pointless and primarily advertising jargon made up by TV manufacturers. Refresh rates are important and there is only two available in LCD/LED TV sets, 60HZ or 120HZ. Your TV happens to be 120HZ which is good.

I read your posts. I urge you to reread my posts. I believe that I addressed your issues in regards to X1 picture quality. Also, please consider that X1 is now 6 years old (I have had X1 service for 5.5 years) and I have had an X1 4K box for over a year now. If you search this forum you will find that X1 picture quality has been discussed countless times in this forum (it's been beaten into the ground) and many people have noticed the questionable picture quality. 

My solution to this is very simple. I do not rely on Comcast and X1 to provide me with the best experience. That is why I have a 4K Sony blu-ray player and a 4K Roku Ultra. I also use my TV set's internal streaming. All three of them offer better picture quality than X1 does.

As MN Tundra tried to say earlier, other choices (sources) of 4K content exist. I choose to take advantage of those other choices.

@bdars16 wrote:

1.   I'm pretty confident the motion rate on this particular 2018 model (QN65Q6FNAFXZA) is 240 (not 60).  I'll have to double check..  I know it's not 60 though, and definitely not a lower end tv.

2. Of course I understand 4k doesn't come through broadcast or standard cable.

If you read the thread,  the point is the picture coming through the Xi6 comcast cable box is sub par.  Even just comparing to standard hd setups throughout the home.

You'd think upgrading to the Xi6 box, connected to the most powerful tv in the home would improve picture quality;  not decrease quality.  Everything else connected to the tv comes through amazing (ps4, apps, etc).

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for clarifying.  Also,  my initial response today was directed towards Mark.

Anyhow-  yeah I do utilize other sources for 4k and other viewing when possible.  I'm just stuck with comcast for a while longer, and it's the general default for my current sports programming and whatnot.  march madness ncaa games via comcast tbs tnt cbs channels were terrible.  my little cheap bar tv was much clearer.

So to that end,  I appreciate your input and advice in the previous posts.  They were helpful

Gold Problem Solver

Not to start another debate, discussion or argument but I am very aware that I am in a minority. I truly believe in higher quality HDMI cables and based on recent experience I now believe in AC power conditioning.

I have seen the difference in HDMI cables and as of earlier this week I now see and hear the difference in power conditioning.

My 65" OLED with the XG1V4 set to 1080p has never looked better when watching linear cable. It's still a very soft image but it is very watchable.
Expert

@RickGr4 wrote:
Not to start another debate, discussion or argument but I am very that I am in a minority. I truly believe in higher quality HDMI cables and based on recent experience I now believe in AC power conditioning.

I have seen the difference in HDMI cables and as of earlier this week I now see and hear the difference in power conditioning.

My 65" OLED with the XG1V4 set to 1080p has never looked better. It's still a very soft image but it is very watchable.

I couldn't agree more Rick.   Smiley Wink

Frequent Visitor

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:
Not to start another debate, discussion or argument but I am very that I am in a minority. I truly believe in higher quality HDMI cables and based on recent experience I now believe in AC power conditioning.

My 65" OLED with the XG1V4 set to 1080p has never looked better. It's still a very soft image but it is very watchable.

I couldn't agree more Rick.   Smiley Wink

Guys I totally disagree.  I have  swapped cables, swapped boxes and swapped tvs even.  the Xi6 box has issues with a 4k picture.  Trust me!

Diamond Problem Solver

Dead thread closed

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!