Community Forum

Xi5 wireless box with own router

New Poster

Xi5 wireless box with own router

I just got two xi5 boxes installed but my wireless is horrible so thinking of going to bridge mode and then adding my own router. If i do that can i still keep and use my xi5 boxes or will it only work when the wireless is enabled on teh Xb3 gateway? Keep in mind i still have the gateway

Official Employee

Re: Xi5 wireless box with own router

They will only work with the gateway provided or you will have to run cat 5 to each
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Hi Andrew,

I had an Xi5 box installed yesterday in a room without a coax point. That involved replacing my cable modem as well (to the TG1682G). I told the technician I wanted to continue running my own router and APs so he set this up on a separate WLAN and connected my router to a LAN port on the Gateway. As suspected it still messes up my DDNS etc (2 NATs). We tried to set the gateway to bridge mode but then the Xi5 stopped working. I can get a wired network connection to the Xi5 no problem. Can you please let me know how to do that hookup so I can use the gateway in bridge mode and still have a functioning Xi5.

Many thanks!

Official Employee

You can't really do it that way either, when the gateway goes into bridge mode, only 1 Ethernet port is active.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

Andrew: So how should I interpret your response to the OP, about running Cat 5 to each Xi5? I hought that was how you proposed to set this up without using the routing functions of the Gateway. Is there a way at all to do this?

Official Employee

Looking back, my answer to the OP could've been clearer referring to bridge mode. Bridge mode only one port on the gateway is active and you need that port to use your own router. You'll have to choose which way to go, can't have it both ways unfortunately.

Edit:I've never tried it personally but if you use a switch it should work.
So it would be xb3 feeds switch, switch feeds your personal router.

New Poster

I'm going to purchase a switch https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/44548579 so I can try this...

We have the XB3 and were using our own router until yesterday when a comcast tech came out to fix one of the tv boxes.  He found that the coaxial cable setup we have in our house was getting a weak signal to our secondary tv so re replaced it with a wireless Xi5 box.  He couldn't get it to work and then realized we had the comcast modem (XB3) in bridge mode.  he turned off bridge mode and then the Xi5 box started working but now my network is unaccessable from outside my house.  I use an asus router with ddns setup and vpn.  I can no longer access my network while I am away and I really liked my setup and it was working well.

So are you saying that this should theoretically work: ???wiring-diagram.png

Official Employee

In “theory” it should, if you can get cat5 to the spot of the Xi5. I just haven’t run into changing an Xi5 into a wired connection instead of using Wi-Fi, after the Wi-Fi connection is already established.

New Poster

Thanks!

I'll report back here once I get a switch and test it out.

Regular Contributor

Here's an alternative I didn't see mentioned (or missed it). I also have an XB3 and Xi5. I can't get Ethernet to the Xi5, it's really, really wireless, so I need the XB3 to not be in bridge mode. I was having wireless issues with the XB3 that I was not having on my standalone router at my old house, mostly on 5 GHz and mostly on my Xbox One S, so I wanted to figure out a way to use a different router but keep the XB3 in gateway mode. In the end, I put my NETGEAR R6300v2 in Access Point mode, which is basically a one click operation, and connected it to an open XB3 Ethernet port. Now I can leave my XB3 as is, but connect wirelessly to my R6300.

It worked as expected and also has the added benefit of having a "guest" network if I want, since it has its own SSID, but still gets an address from the XB6 and is on the same network. The downside is clients that connect to the R6300 will not be seen in the XB3 or are able to be managed by XFi, from what I can tell. [Edit] Actually I think the clients do show up, just as Ethernet instead of WiFi. The connected devices list sometimes takes a while to update.

This did not fix my Xbox problems unfortunately, so something else is wrong, but it still worked as far as the AP mode.

New Poster

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
They will only work with the gateway provided or you will have to run cat 5 to each

Here's a question:

1. I have an Xfinity gateway in the basement. It is a newer home with built-in cat5 wiring and wall ethernet ports, so the gateway needs to remain where it is, so it can plug into the house's hub/switch(?) and feed the ethernet ports throughout the house.
  2. I have a new wireless Xi5 upstairs in the kitchen, but the signal it's getting from the gateway is really weak (so it says) and my programming is regularly pixelating or freezing.
  3. Wireless is my only option to connect the Xi5.
  4. I am currently using an AirPort Extreme connected to one of the ethernet ports (and thus the gateway) to run a different wireless network, different SSID and everything. I can't quite recall what mode or method I used to pull that off but it's working. 
  5. However, I'm thinking I would like to just setup one roaming network, with the same SSID, etc., and use the (wired) AirPort Extreme to act as an access point(?) to both improve the wireless coverage upstairs AND the signal to the kitchen Xi5.
  6. Keep in mind that I need all of the ports on the gateway to remain active, because it is feeding other cat5 lines in the house besides the one going to the AirPort (e.g. PS4 and computers directly connected to the gateway via wall ethernet ports).

ComcastAndrew (or anyone else) is this possible?

Expert

@jjthompson74 wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Here's a question:

1. I have an Xfinity gateway in the basement. It is a newer home with built-in cat5 wiring and wall ethernet ports, so the gateway needs to remain where it is, so it can plug into the house's hub/switch(?) and feed the ethernet ports throughout the house.
  2. I have a new wireless Xi5 upstairs in the kitchen, but the signal it's getting from the gateway is really weak (so it says) and my programming is regularly pixelating or freezing.
  3. Wireless is my only option to connect the Xi5.
  4. I am currently using an AirPort Extreme connected to one of the ethernet ports (and thus the gateway) to run a different wireless network, different SSID and everything. I can't quite recall what mode or method I used to pull that off but it's working. 
  5. However, I'm thinking I would like to just setup one roaming network, with the same SSID, etc., and use the (wired) AirPort Extreme to act as an access point(?) to both improve the wireless coverage upstairs AND the signal to the kitchen Xi5.
  6. Keep in mind that I need all of the ports on the gateway to remain active, because it is feeding other cat5 lines in the house besides the one going to the AirPort (e.g. PS4 and computers directly connected to the gateway via wall ethernet ports).

ComcastAndrew (or anyone else) is this possible?

i read where you said wireless is only option but the xi5 can connect by ethernet (even through a swtich but should be direct to gateway).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

Wirelessly it still needs to talk to the XB3( that's where the software to run the xi5 is located), wired you could use a switch or power line adapter. I don't think what you proposed in #5 will work .

New Poster

Wireless is my only option because it's in the kitchen, and I don't have a way to run cat5 or coax to that spot. I also didn't want to buy or try power line adaptors, though I have some old netgear ones in a box somewhere.

Here's what I did last night, and it seemed to work:

1) AirPort Extreme is connected to gateway via cat5, set to bridge mode, and is also broadcasting (not extending) a wireless network.

2) I renamed the 5GHz SSID for the gateway to the same as the 5GHz SSID from the AirPort, with same password.

3) I unpaired the Xi5 from the previous network name (pressing the WPS button on the device lets you do this)

4) I re-paired the Xi5 using the gateway web admin UI and the WPS push button on the Xi5

5) The signal was still low after the device paired up with the new SSID, leading me to believe it still connected with the basement gateway (1 WiFi wave in the settings)

6) I unplugged the power cable on the Xi5 and plugged it back in

7) After doing this, it seems like the Xi5 chose to pair with the much closer AirPort with the same SSID instead, as I now have 4 WiFi waves, and the picture signal hasn't failed or wavered yet.

Official Employee

Good to know, hope it continues to work for you.

New Poster

I have a question on the Xi5 also. I have two Xi5 boxes that were installed in my house 6 months ago. They have been working fine other than one week when the boxes reported that live TV was not available(DVR still worked as did netflix). After rebooting/resetting various boxes and routers per tech support for a few days, I realized that this started after I installed a physical firewall device between the xfinity router and my switch. When I removed the firewall, live TV was again working fine on the Xi5 boxes. My question is this, are there specific ports that need to be open or other specific setting required on my firewall in order to allow the Xi5 boxes to obtain live TV? Or is it possible that the firewall was slowing down certain data traffic to an unacceptable throughput level? Other ideas? Does ethernet cable plugged into the Xi5 replace the wireless data for live TV? 

Tags (1)
Official Employee

The dvr talks to the gateway via moca, then the gateway turns that into into WiFi information and communicates with the Xi5. Safe assume something you did turned off one of those lines of communication. The xi5 can be hooked via Ethernet

Expert

adding... the gateway puts MoCA over ethernet and by that over wifi. one customer was able to connect to his netgear (which was hooked up via ethernet to the gateway/bridge set in bridge mode). If I recall, the customer said level 2 told him to press the wifi 'coonect' button on the xi5 so it could find the MoCa (apparently the Xi5 requires the 5.0 ghz band, too).

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

Thanks for that response. So the dvr is not transmitting wifi signal to the Xi5, but the gateway is doing that? I thought the Xi5 was getting a signal directly from the DVR box. I have wifi turned off on my xfinity gateway. I have a netgear router (Orbi mesh system) set in AP mode for wifi in the house. Does that mean the Xi5 boxes are getting their signal from the netgear router and not from the xfinity gateway? That would give me a clear path to setting up a separete wifi network for Xi5 boxes diverted around the firewall, while my main wifi network is behind the firewall.

Expert

@atlantaguy2018 wrote:

Thanks for that response. So the dvr is not transmitting wifi signal to the Xi5, but the gateway is doing that? I thought the Xi5 was getting a signal directly from the DVR box. I have wifi turned off on my xfinity gateway. I have a netgear router (Orbi mesh system) set in AP mode for wifi in the house. Does that mean the Xi5 boxes are getting their signal from the netgear router and not from the xfinity gateway? That would give me a clear path to setting up a separete wifi network for Xi5 boxes diverted around the firewall, while my main wifi network is behind the firewall.

the DVR recording by MoCA for your Xi5 goes by coax to the gateway where the gateway addsonverts the MoCA to an IP stream that is delivered to your Xi5 by wireless or by ethernet. as to your 2nd question that is what the other customer had report. If you are using the Netgear wireless router and it is not in AP then the ethernet connection from the MoCA enabled (hub) gateway ethernet output includes the MoCA over ethernet signal (packets). from there either by ethernet or by wireless 5.0 ghz band the signal was reported by the customer to be received after pressing a 'button' on the Xi5 to cause it to search and find the MoCA over ethernet signal.

Frequent Visitor

I'm starting to think in terms of an HPA (power line) ethernet bridge to get a connection from the gateway to the Xi5, no?  If the gateway is left in bridge mode and a ethernet switch is connected to port 1... will the gateway suppy multiple IPs (one to my router, one to the HPA bridge for management, and one to the xi5 box?)

Expert

@Good_Ol_Dan wrote:

I'm starting to think in terms of an HPA (power line) ethernet bridge to get a connection from the gateway to the Xi5, no?  If the gateway is left in bridge mode and a ethernet switch is connected to port 1... will the gateway suppy multiple IPs (one to my router, one to the HPA bridge for management, and one to the xi5 box?)

remember that the xi5 needs 5ghz high speed connectivity with MoCA over ethernet (wifi).

New Poster

I solved the problem with the REQUIREMENT of having the substandard feature set XFINITY routers XB3 and XB6 with XI5 wireless streaming boxes.

Purchase a Bonded 2.0 Actiontec MoCA adapter and install in the coax of the router you are using. Plug an Ethernet cable in between the adapter and the router lan port. No configuration as long as you have the XI5 already paired to the 5Ghz wifi signal and working displaying guide and apps etc. The Actiontec adapter provides the MoCA from the DVR being the primary controller and converts it to Ethernet and then wifi.

Works well.

Insertion loss of the adapter is less than 1 db.
Tags (2)
New Poster

Thanks for this post. I have exact same setup with media closet in basement and apple airport on main floor. This solution worked for me too.