Community Forum

Xi5 & Xi6 boxes...Are the ethernet ports usable?

New Poster

Xi5 & Xi6 boxes...Are the ethernet ports usable?

Hi all, this is my first post and hope someone can steer me in the right direction.

We are looking at moving our TV service to Comcast (currently with Dish) and already have phone and Internet with them now...our gateway is the XB6-T. Our new Comcast package would be the "X1 Premier Triple Play" which would include install of (1) XG1v4 DVR and (3) Xi6 Boxes according to the Comcast Sales Rep.

Here is my concern....We currently have four 4k TV's; two in our main house (gateway location) and two in our guest quarters.  The connections at the main house TV's is straight forward but the guest quarters will seem to be the issue as there is no and would be no direct WiFi connectivity with the XB6-T due to the distance between the two.   However, between the house and guest quarters there are available Cat5 and Coax.

My questions:

1.  Are the ethernet ports on the Xi5 & Xi6 active?  If so, can either be connected via ethernet and/or through an unmanaged switch to the gateway in order to receive TV.  I have been told by Comcast phone Tech's and Sales Reps both yes and no.  I have also read on this forum the Xi5 can be used via ethernet....Which is it?

2.  If the Xi5 or 6 boxes won't work what about using (3) Xi3's via Coax?   If they would work what would be the down side of the Xi3's besides no 4K?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Xi5 & Xi6 boxes...Are the ethernet ports usable?

1. Yes they are active
2. It will also depend on distance for the Cat5 but a negative could be bandwidth use on those 3 wireless boxes. If you have access to coax instead xi3 might be better. Only the Xi6 has access to 4K content not the Xi5.
These are all things you should go over with your installer on day of install before anything gets installed.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Here in Houston the techs that I have met are knowlegable but they don't have a full complement of equipment on their truck.  Was told to go to retail for Xi6 4K boxes which was a cluster until I finally got to the manager who led with "there is no 4K content" which failed miserably.  He knew of the Xi6 but there were none in Houston.  Thankfully he ordered two for delivery to my house.  I still don't have an experienced answer (as in they have seen it done in the wild) on the installation of a completely wired 4K install.  The wireless limit on Xi6 installs is two.   Currently have four 4K panels and will soon replace 3 HD panels with 4K.  All of these locations have at least one Ethernet 5e drop.  Obviously there is a problem.  Current hight end residental networks here are installing two Ethernet 6a drops and one coax to all fixed user locations (TV's, computers and printers) while using WiFi for mobile devices and IOT applications.   Depending on WiFi for important applications is an eventual fail. 

In summary, Xfinity has a problem with incompetent retail personnel and provisioning at the tech level.  Don't worry, Uverse is far worse but don't use that as an excuse to stand pat.  

Diamond Problem Solver

For a completely wired 4K install, it would be 2 Xi6 boxes and the rest 4K DVRs.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Are these xi6 ready to ship? Self install yet? I know I’ve asked before just looking to see if things changed I was looking to swap 1 box out if this is possible
Diamond Problem Solver

No, tech install only still.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Ok thank you! Happy new year
Frequent Visitor

Intersting. I was just on the phone with customer service and they are allegedly mailing me an XG1v4 and Xi6.  Am I going to be disappointed when either (i) the wrong box(es) show up or (ii) the right boxes show up and I can't install?

Expert

@maze446 wrote:

Intersting. I was just on the phone with customer service and they are allegedly mailing me an XG1v4 and Xi6.  Am I going to be disappointed when either (i) the wrong box(es) show up or (ii) the right boxes show up and I can't install?

the xg1v4 is just a regular DVR hookup. the xi6 needs a special leased Comcast router. it will work if MoCA is avaialble via ethernet/wifi and procedure is performed with the xi6 to pair it to your home equipment.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I'll get some MoCA adaptors and see if I can get the Xi6 to work over ethernet.  I assume the pairing procedure will be available as part of the normal setup process or would I need to access a special menu from the box?

Diamond Problem Solver

You don’t need moca adapters. The main box talks to the modem via moca.

Frequent Visitor

I don't have the Xfinity router or a MoCA enabled wireless router.  Since the Xi6 doesn't have a coax input the only way I figured it would work was if I had a MoCA adaptor on the router end to send the signal and then another adaptor on the Xi6 end.  Plug the coax at the Xi6 end into the MoCA adaptor, run ethernet from the MoCA adaptor to the Xi6 and then HDMI from the Xi6 to my A/V reciever.  It's basically like a powerline connection.  Maybe I'm making it too complicated, but that's what I came up with based on everything I've seen. 

Diamond Problem Solver

It’s not going to work the way that you want it to with that equipment.

Frequent Visitor

I love that some moderator deleted my most recent post which was slightly critical of Comcast. Very nice.
Silver Problem Solver

@maze446 wrote:
I love that some moderator deleted my most recent post which was slightly critical of Comcast. Very nice.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yep. My post violated none of those. Comcast is allegedly shipping me an Xi6 and I’m trying to figure out how to make it work without a Comcast router / modem. If the answer is “You need to have a Comcast modem / router for the Xi6 to work”, then just say that. I also pointed out that I didn’t understand why the Xi6 wouldn’t have a normal coax connection for those customers that did not need wireless (like me) so we didn’t need to make the choice of either going with the Xi6 and a Comcast router / modem (at additional cost) or going with an XG1v4 (again, at additional cost). If simple customer feedback is a violation of forum rules, then this forum need to change its rules.
Expert

@maze446 wrote:
Yep. My post violated none of those. Comcast is allegedly shipping me an Xi6 and I’m trying to figure out how to make it work without a Comcast router / modem. If the answer is “You need to have a Comcast modem / router for the Xi6 to work”, then just say that. I also pointed out that I didn’t understand why the Xi6 wouldn’t have a normal coax connection for those customers that did not need wireless (like me) so we didn’t need to make the choice of either going with the Xi6 and a Comcast router / modem (at additional cost) or going with an XG1v4 (again, at additional cost). If simple customer feedback is a violation of forum rules, then this forum need to change its rules.

yes your post had an abbreviation for an obscene word. eventually it should be edited and returned for public viewing after edit by a Comcast official employee.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

What do I do when the signal strength of the Comcast Gigabit gateway isn’t strong enough to reach my Xi6?

The WiFi signal on that gateway is horrendous, so we have another WiFi router, which is connected via CAT-6 to every room.

I was forced to unbridge the Comcast gateway to enable MOCA (which is ironic because the Xi6 doesn’t have a coax input).

Can I use the coax outlet with a MOCA bridge to hard-wire (Ethernet) the Xi6?
Expert

@HusbandAndDad wrote:
What do I do when the signal strength of the Comcast Gigabit gateway isn’t strong enough to reach my Xi6?

The WiFi signal on that gateway is horrendous, so we have another WiFi router, which is connected via CAT-6 to every room.

I was forced to unbridge the Comcast gateway to enable MOCA (which is ironic because the Xi6 doesn’t have a coax input).

Can I use the coax outlet with a MOCA bridge to hard-wire (Ethernet) the Xi6?

the Xi6 can also juse the cat5/6 connection. will have to reset the box to use the ethernet connection. the Xi5 uses the MoCA over ethernet(wifi) via the modem to use the tuner on your local DVR or XG2.

Problem Solver

the Xi6 ethernet port works for streaming. your cable lineup.

I can confirm 

New Poster

Hoping to hear direct from @CCAndrew on this one...

I have a client who just purchased a new home and is planning to go with Xfinity for Tv & Internet. The problem we’ve run into is two-fold: first, there’s absolutely ZERO coax run in the home (there’s a pull into the basement mechanical room, but that’s it), but Ethernet everywhere; second, the home is 8500 sq ft and as such the xFi gateway alone won’t cover it.

If the XG1v4 DVR is connected via coax back to the XB6 modem, can I use a pair of Xi6s over Ethernet to talk back to it? If yes, do they need direct connection back to the XB6, or can I put that in bridge mode and use our own networking solution?

Diamond Problem Solver

It won’t work in bridge mode, the only concern would be distance of Ethernet run. I would keep a Roku and using the Xfinity Stream app as a back up option

New Poster

@CCAndrew Thank you so much for the info! I was under the impression Xfinity Stream app for Roku was still in private beta.... Is that also available for Apple TV? The family uses Apple everything, so I'd prefer to use that instead for a dedicated streamer if we can.

Diamond Problem Solver

Sorry, not yet available for Apples

New Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:
Sorry, not yet available for Apples

Alright then. Any ETA on when we might see Stream become available for Apple TV?

Diamond Problem Solver

Sorry, no not at this time (it’s been asked about since the app’s release)

New Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:
It should work in bridge mode, the only concern would be distance of Ethernet run. I would keep a Roku and using the Xfinity Stream app as a back up option

Hi @CCAndrew just to clarify, I should be able to put and XB6 in bridge mode and use my own router with ethernet connection to an Xi5/6 and be good to go? But if I want to use the Xi5/6 over wifi I would need to use the XB6 as a full wireless gateway?

Official Employee

AngeloUCF, great question! Thanks for posting! Yes, the wireless features of the xi6 and xi5 do require your XB3/XB6 to be a full wireless gateway. That means no bridge mode and no 3rd party router. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

AngeloUCF, great question! Thanks for posting! Yes, the wireless features of the xi6 and xi5 do require your XB3/XB6 to be a full wireless gateway. That means no bridge mode and no 3rd party router. 

Ken

Thanks Ken, although that only partially answers my question. If I have a wired ethernet connection from my router to the Xi5, can I put the comcast modem in bridge mode and be fine?

Official Employee

@AngeloUCF wrote: 

Ken

Thanks Ken, although that only partially answers my question. If I have a wired ethernet connection from my router to the Xi5, can I put the                         comcast modem in bridge mode and be fine?

Yes, the ports will work but then you run into the issues with having extra wiring in the way and communication between the box and modem won't work as designed. So with the Xi5 and Xi6 being wireless boxes some if not all of your functionality will be compromised if you put the modem into bridge mode.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi AngeloUCF, thank you again for reaching out to us here with this concern. I don't see a reply back from you here so I will close this thread as competed. If you need anything further please create a new post and someone will be able to assist you, have a good day.