Community Forum

Xi3 Companion Box Reviewed

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xi3 Companion Box Reviewed

After a couple weeks of problems with my new x1 dvr and 2  Xi3's  due to  low signal from a bad line out side of my hause, i'm final enjoying  my system. The problem is that one of my xi3's is running hot. called custumer service was aked to  replace it with a  new one wich I did. I feel that new one still running hotter than it shoud be.I set it to go off after1 hour , and even when it is off .is still hot.  although it operates nomal. does any one have this problem? .

Highlighted
Official Employee

They do run pretty hot in general. This is normal. The top piece, if I remember correctly, is the heat sink. If you have anything that sits on top of the Xi3, I would try to find another spot for it.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Nick.I feel a little better now.

Contributor

Does anyone know if the Xi3 can be picked up from serivce centers in the Boston area, or if I can have one sent to me instead of paying for a service call to get one?

Regular Contributor

I just had mine installed yesterday and I noticed it runs pretty hot. About the same temperature as my Roku 2. Guess jamming all those electronics into a small box must give off a lot of heat. 

Frequent Visitor

Why does the on demand movies are not transmitted in dolby digital on my XI dvr and myXI3 boxes.The signal i get is PCM. Not  5.1 Dolby.Yet when i watch the same movie  live from HBO or Starz, the audio is Dolby digital 5.1 surround. Not only it shows in my AV Receaver that is 5.1 Dolby digital and i sure can hear the difference.

Gold Problem Solver

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-Audio-How-does-it-work-and-what-should-I-expect/td-p/2400405/page...

@jfde wrote:

Why does the on demand movies are not transmitted in dolby digital on my XI dvr and myXI3 boxes.The signal i get is PCM. Not  5.1 Dolby.Yet when i watch the same movie  live from HBO or Starz, the audio is Dolby digital 5.1 surround. Not only it shows in my AV Receaver that is 5.1 Dolby digital and i sure can hear the difference.

Contributor

Hello RockGr4,

This issue was the HDCP input on the Integra. The new Xi3 box my use the HDCP HDMI input. The Integra one has one, which is for th blue-ray player. Hopefully Interga's firmwear update can open another HDCP HDMI input. Or plan B downgrade to a regular X1 box.

Gold Problem Solver

Let me get this straight. Are you saying that some of the HDMI inputs on your Integra are HDCP compliant and some aren't??? Not sure I have ever heard of that before. If that is the case, yes Onkyo needs to fix that.

It should be noted that a receiver of that calibre, you can re-label and reconfigure the HDMI inputs just about any way you would want.

@donaldsonjune wrote:

Hello RockGr4,

This issue was the HDCP input on the Integra. The new Xi3 box my use the HDCP HDMI input. The Integra one has one, which is for th blue-ray player. Hopefully Interga's firmwear update can open another HDCP HDMI input. Or plan B downgrade to a regular X1 box.

Contributor

Rick,

Only 1 is HDCP!! Going to switch the HDMI on the TV from #4 to #1 (arc).

Gold Problem Solver

I can see why Comcast gets so frustrated with 3rd party audio gear. None of this is their fault.

I have a 2014 model Marantz AV receiver similar to your Integra and the HDMI/HDCP has worked perfectly since the day I originally installed it.

I am glad you solved your problem but at what point was this Comcast's fault???

@donaldsonjune wrote:

Rick,

Only 1 is HDCP!! Going to switch the HDMI on the TV from #4 to #1 (arc).

Contributor

Rick,

i never blamed comcast. just wanted my problem solved. comcast told me about the HDCP HDMI input.

Regular Contributor

Can someone please let me know how to look at the diagnostics screens for the Xi3? I did the hold exit for 5 seconds, pushed the down key twice, and pushed 2. It pulled up the diagnostics menu, but when I scrolled down to the section that would display the levels, I could not figure out how to change from page 1 to a different page. I think the levels that are usually discussed are on page 5? Thank you!  

Official Employee

You're doing it right but the Xi3 is not a docsis device so there are no signal levels to be seen

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Andrew,

Will an Xi3 show the levels of the tuner it is connected to or does it just show MoCA mesh levels???

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
You're doing it right but the Xi3 is not a docsis device so there are no signal levels to be seen