Community Forum

Xi3 Companion Box Reviewed

Valued Contributor

Re: Xi3 getting installed in 2 days

@adammusic22 wrote:
So say I have 1 main x1 & 2 xi3's. I can no longer record 4 shows while watching a 5th live bc each xi3 will take up a tuner? Ill only be able to record 2 while watching a 3rd live?

I believe the number of X1 DVR tuners available for watching/recording only decreases when Xi3s are actively watching Live TV:

Limited Tuner Availability with X1 DVR (with X1 AnyRoom DVR and Xi3 Devices)

Today, if a customer is installed with X1 AnyRoom DVR devices (XG1 and RNG150 devices on additional outlets) the customer has five tuners (four recording and one live) available to them.

With the introduction of Xi3 devices in a customers home, the number of tuners available for recording decreases. Each Xi3 device used to watch live TV requires a tuner. In instances where multiple Xi3 devices are installed and are being watched at the same time, the number of tuners available for recording decreases:

For example, if an X1 AnyRoom DVR customer has three Xi3 devices installed their home and household members are watching each Xi3 device in three different rooms, there will only be two available tuners for use with the X1 AnyRoom DVR.

Most Valued Poster

That is the worst. Not getting xi3.

Highlighted
Expert

@adammusic22 wrote:
So say I have 1 main x1 & 2 xi3's. I can no longer record 4 shows while watching a 5th live bc each xi3 will take up a tuner? Ill only be able to record 2 while watching a 3rd live?

you will be paying the same that you would pay for a regular companion box except no 'live' channel as part of the box/subscription. Yes it will use a tuner from the x1 "main" (DVR) box if the xi3 is not playing a recording (which does not require a tuner). 

It is yet untold to us here if the DVR will still record 4 (say scheduled) shows interrupting the viewing of other channels by the xi3 boxes. At a minimum, comcast should open the 6th tuner (currently disabled) on the DVRs and make all 6 available for recording if scheduled, perhaps offering choice of what not to record on the DVR. the Max Xi3 to DVR was stated to be 3 leaving only (1) tuner to record channels on the DVR (at least by the restriction).

IMO if you are going to pay $10/mth to 'use' the DVR then you should pay approx $20 to get another DVR with full features and '5' more tuners instead. Or a TiVo each DVR = 6 recordable tuners and 'mini's' (equivalent to the xi3) have no monthly service fee.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

I wanted the xi3 to be a faster companion box but not taking away from tuners. Ill stick with the rng150's because I dvr everything. Its a shame they did that, but will probably still promote record 4 shows while watching a 5th live, when that wont be true with xi3.

Silver Problem Solver

@telcodad wrote:

@adammusic22 wrote:

I believe the number of X1 DVR tuners available for watching/recording only decreases when Xi3s are actively watching Live TV:

Limited Tuner Availability with X1 DVR (with X1 AnyRoom DVR and Xi3 Devices)

Today, if a customer is installed with X1 AnyRoom DVR devices (XG1 and RNG150 devices on additional outlets) the customer has five tuners (four recording and one live) available to them.

With the introduction of Xi3 devices in a customers home, the number of tuners available for recording decreases. Each Xi3 device used to watch live TV requires a tuner. In instances where multiple Xi3 devices are installed and are being watched at the same time, the number of tuners available for recording decreases:

For example, if an X1 AnyRoom DVR customer has three Xi3 devices installed their home and household members are watching each Xi3 device in three different rooms, there will only be two available tuners for use with the X1 AnyRoom DVR.

Since I have two X1 DVR's, I would assume three Xi3 boxes would leave me six tuners?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Valued Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@telcodad wrote:

@adammusic22 wrote:

:

Since I have two X1 DVR's, I would assume three Xi3 boxes would leave me six tuners?

Not sure how having two Xi3 boxes would interact with two X1 DVRs, especially with the Whole Home Scheduling's "tuner pooling" feature. 

You may have to select which X1 DVR is the "host" for each Xi3 "client." Or maybe each Xi3 will just "attach" to the first X1 DVr that it detects?

Expert

@telcodad wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@telcodad wrote:

@adammusic22 wrote:

:

Not sure how having two Xi3 boxes would interact with two X1 DVRs, especially with the Whole Home Scheduling's "tuner pooling" feature. 

You may have to select which X1 DVR is the "host" for each Xi3 "client." Or maybe each Xi3 will just "attach" to the first X1 DVr that it detects?

Interesting thought..... hopefully someone who finally ends up with an Xi3 along with multiple DVR's will post thier findings to share with the forum.....

-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Valued Contributor

@geek46 wrote:

@telcodad wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@telcodad wrote:

@adammusic22 wrote:

Interesting thought..... hopefully someone who finally ends up with an Xi3 along with multiple DVR's will post thier findings to share with the forum.....

-=Ray=-

OK, I checked that Xi3 installation guide for contractors [http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Newer-X1-Comcast-Tech-Installation-Guide/m-p/2480910 (note the links for them don't work anymore)] and it says in one of the steps "Select the default DVR when prompted on-screen"  so that appears to be how the Xi3 handles multiple X1 DVR (XG1) installations.

Silver Problem Solver

@telcodad wrote:

@geek46 wrote:

@telcodad wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@telcodad wrote:

@adammusic22 wrote:

-=Ray=-

OK, I checked that Xi3 installation guide for contractors [http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Newer-X1-Comcast-Tech-Installation-Guide/m-p/2480910 (note the links for them don't work anymore)] and it says in one of the steps "Select the default DVR when prompted on-screen"  so that appears to be how the Xi3 handles multiple X1 DVR (XG1) installations.

Except that option was later removed from Settings.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

Re: Xi3 Companion Box Reviewed

@SFGold wrote:

The Comcast gods smiled upon me and today I received my new Xi3 companion box.  As an early early adopter of the X1 platform, I had suffered through the lag-ridden original companion boxes and was really excited to get this one.  So far, it has not disappointed.

The product packaging is a direct knock off of Apple's iPhone boxes... gorgeous white heavy glossy cardboard box, white glossy plastic insert, beautiful cables with Xfinity-branded velcro cable ties and a very nice HDMI cable as well as a nice coax cable with plastic "crystal" connectors.  Gone is the huge power brick of the old companion box... this just features a standard cable that plugs right into the small, light Xi3.  As far as the box goes, it's small and light as promised, with one blue light on top.  No record light that I saw, so they got rid of THAT bug (I could care less about a record light) and oh yeah, there's no clock, so I'm sure there will be complaints from those who use their cable boxes to tell time.  (Sorry, couldn't resist)

It comes loaded with a SD card in the back already plugged in and labeled "instant replay" but the rewind and pause (aka "Trickplay") functions are not yet enabled, so you get the familiar zero with a circle through it when you try to pause live TV.  The 30-second easter egg does work on this box / remote, thank goodness.  It took me a few tries and I was nervous when it didn't work at first, but then it did.

So the question that has been debated on this board.... it does seem like the xi3 uses one of the tuners of the main DVR box to stream live TV.  I have one companion box  (Xi3) and one main DVR, and was able to record 4 programs on the main DVR, which then means one of the tuners is being used for the companion and I guess the final tuner for the main DVR live TV stream.  When I tried to record a 5th at the same time, I got a "recording conflict" error message.

All of the apps included on the original main DVR box are included on the Xi3 as far as I can tell.

The big difference between this and the old companion box is speed.  Boot up is about the same, maybe 45 seconds faster, but WOW, channel changing and menu navigation are as fast as the main DVR box.... or as fast as the box used to be before version 2.0 rolled out.  Changing channels is fast and it appears that two years into it they finally have a box that responds as quickly as the DVR's of the mid 2000's.

The box itself is very small and comes with the new backlit XR5 remote.  I am really enjoying the "feel" of this remote vs the older Tivo-like "peanut" remote, and I really really love having an input button back on the remote to switch to my Roku.

Self-activation was painless, easy and took just a minute.

Overall, an excellent upgrade which has made my second TV much more watchable.  I'll leave the whole number of tuners debate to those more qualified.... I can't remember ever wanting to record more than 3 shows at the same time, so am very happy with 4.  Thank you to the Comcast gods if you are reading this.

Very happy.  Now, can we get the "double delete grey screen" bug fixed??? Thanks, Comcast.

Actually unless you have a typo, The DVR is only capable at this time of recording 4 channels and watching one live (total 5). There is an extra tuner in the DVR but the x1 system disables it so max is 5 tuners.

The test would be to put the DVR on channel A, record channels B,C,D, and E (all 5 tuners in use). and put the Xi3 on channel F. If that works then the extra tuner in the DVR must be enabled by adding the Xi3 to the account for use of the Xi3 only.

Official Employee

Glad you were able to get one, enjoy.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Glad you were able to get one, enjoy.

Andrew,

This is a stupid question, but I will ask anyway - do you know how the Xi3 is being rolled out?  I have two RNG150's i would like to replace.

Silver Problem Solver

SFGold, are you in the San Fran area?

Regular Contributor

Hi Rusty, that's the test I did, sorry for the confusion.... companion box on channel A, DVR on channel B, then was able to record C, D, E and F.

Regular Contributor

Robertwy, replied via PM message.

Regular Contributor

The rewind and pause function does work. To enable it unplug both the DVR and the Xi3. Then boot up the DVR, once the DVR is up and running plug in the Xi3. That's what the tech did in my house to enable these functions.

Regular Contributor

Once my xi3 upgraded to 2.0.1 the pause and rewind started working... great.

Another good feature I forgot to mention is power save after x hours option, as well as being able to put the box on standby manually by pressing the "all power" button on the remote.  I doubt the box consumes much electricity but nice to see the light go off.  The wake mode is almost instantaneous.

Expert

@SFGold wrote:

Hi Rusty, that's the test I did, sorry for the confusion.... companion box on channel A, DVR on channel B, then was able to record C, D, E and F.

after you got c,d,e,f recording did you verify you still had both the companion and DVR on different channels (from each other and from c,d,e,f)?

If so that is proof the 6th tuner in dvr is 'active' in some form for the scenario. If so wonder what adding another xi3 would change. thanks for the testing.

Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@SFGold wrote:

after you got c,d,e,f recording did you verify you still had both the companion and DVR on different channels (from each other and from c,d,e,f)?

If so that is proof the 6th tuner in dvr is 'active' in some form for the scenario. If so wonder what adding another xi3 would change. thanks for the testing.

Wouldn't you be able to tell by looking at the diagnostics screens for some kind of activity?

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@SFGold wrote:

Wouldn't you be able to tell by looking at the diagnostics screens for some kind of activity?

I don't have an Xi3 but on f/w 2.0.0 and 1.49.11 the Summary>in-band network on diagnostic window shows just 5 tuners. Ditto for System>in-band Network. would be great to see what shows on SFGold's DVR diagnositcs. My guess is that the firmware won't show the 6th hidden DVR info yet.

Silver Problem Solver

Anyone see this?

https://gigaom.com/2015/01/21/comcasts-next-generation-xi4-set-top-box-passes-the-fcc/

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/comcasts-next-generation-xi4-set-top-passes-fcc-muster/2015-01-22

Valued Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

Anyone see this?

https://gigaom.com/2015/01/21/comcasts-next-generation-xi4-set-top-box-passes-the-fcc/

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/comcasts-next-generation-xi4-set-top-passes-fcc-muster/2015-01-22

Yes, also see:

New Comcast IP Set-Top Reaches The FCC           
Xi4’ Client Box From Cisco Designed For X1 Platform
By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - January 22, 2015

Pace Also On Board With Comcast’s ‘XG2’
Another Next-Gen Comcast Box For X1 Hits The FCC
By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - March 2, 2015

http://www.multichannel.com/blog/bauminator/pace-also-board-comcast-s-xg2/388496

Regular Contributor

OK, guys, you are making me work hard on a Saturday! ha ha...

First, the diagnostic screen....in-band network shows 5 tuners only with zero failed tunes.

I repeated my experiment....

Set main DVR to record channels A,B,C,D while watching E.  At that point, it would not let me record anything else, but I could change channel E to F or G or whatever channel.

Ran to other TV.... companion box... tuned to channel B (above).... when I tried to change channel, it said it would need to stop recording channel C (above) and I cancelled.

So I assume this means they have not enabled the mysterious 6th tuner?

I have a headache now!

Expert

@SFGold wrote:

OK, guys, you are making me work hard on a Saturday! ha ha...

First, the diagnostic screen....in-band network shows 5 tuners only with zero failed tunes.

I repeated my experiment....

Set main DVR to record channels A,B,C,D while watching E.  At that point, it would not let me record anything else, but I could change channel E to F or G or whatever channel.

Ran to other TV.... companion box... tuned to channel B (above).... when I tried to change channel, it said it would need to stop recording channel C (above) and I cancelled.

So I assume this means they have not enabled the mysterious 6th tuner?

I have a headache now!

yep that ends the test no active 6th tuner. You proved it (sadly). Ty for all your hard work.

Regular Contributor

No problem.  Also just noticed that my Arris DVR box also has a standby option... have just enabled that.  Was that new with version 2.0?  Not sure if it saves power but I guess the feature is not unique to the Xi3 box.

Silver Problem Solver

@SFGold wrote:

No problem.  Also just noticed that my Arris DVR box also has a standby option... have just enabled that.  Was that new with version 2.0?  Not sure if it saves power but I guess the feature is not unique to the Xi3 box.

I have been using a 6-hour standby on mine for quite some time.  I don't remember when it was added.

Edited: I use it on both my DVR's and my RNG150's.

Regular Contributor

Not to hijack my own thread, but is there any way to "wake" the DVR / xi3 out of standby besides pressing "power"?  I tried the Xfinity button and no wake.

Silver Problem Solver

@SFGold wrote:

Not to hijack my own thread, but is there any way to "wake" the DVR / xi3 out of standby besides pressing "power"?  I tried the Xfinity button and no wake.

I just use the Power button on the remote.  They always come on.

Edit:  I always use the remote's Power button to turn everything off each night.  If there has been at least 6 hours since then on the next day, the Power Light on the STB is off.  If there has been less than 6 hours, the Power Light is on.  Either way, I use the remote's Power button to turn my system on.  In the case of the den, which has an a/v receiver, pressing the remote's Power button turns on the TV, a/v receiver, and Pace XG-1.

Silver Problem Solver

I pulled this from the X1 Installation Guide I found on 24Feb:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah91/rwycoff77401/Xi3%20uses%20XG1%20Tuners_zps1w5bg5es.jpg

Silver Problem Solver

@adammusic22 wrote:

That's what I heard from an installer.  I passed on the Xi3.  It's for single hub settings.  I have two hubs (DVR's).  And it uses MoCA for its network.  

Regular Contributor

I know this has been gone over before but I have one x1 dvr ( arris ) and 2 companion boxes. So if I replace them with 2 xi3's and both are being used to watch live tv then I lose 2 tuners on my dvr for recording? I don't see this as an improvement . I'm sure the box is slicker and quicker but being able to pause live tv on my companion boxes doesn't offset the  loss of tuners. In the add are they going to tout the ability to record 4 shows while watchin a 5th, unless you have xi3 boxes that are being used by family members?

Official Employee

You have it backwards, recordings will always have precedence over the Xi3. You will always have the ability to record 4 at a time. It's the Xi3 reduces it's live TV functionality with each recording.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@cldlhd wrote:

I know this has been gone over before but I have one x1 dvr ( arris ) and 2 companion boxes. So if I replace them with 2 xi3's and both are being used to watch live tv then I lose 2 tuners on my dvr for recording? I don't see this as an improvement . I'm sure the box is slicker and quicker but being able to pause live tv on my companion boxes doesn't offset the  loss of tuners. In the add are they going to tout the ability to record 4 shows while watchin a 5th, unless you have xi3 boxes that are being used by family members?

The chart I posted sure seems to say that if you have two Xi3 boxes and they are both watching live TV, that leaves only two tuners for future recording.

I don't see how Comcast can advertise recording four shows while watching a fifth with an Xi3, unless they disclose that if you do that, your Xi3 can't watch live TV.

Maybe they will disclose this in the fine print.

I think the Xi3 is going to be another public relations disaster for X1.  People are already complaining about cloud in their area suddenly not being available when they have gotten used to using it.

Silver Problem Solver

Another thing:

If my X1 DVR loses power for some really strange reason, my RNG150's continue to be able to watch live TV.  They wouldn't have access to the DVR's recordings.

But with the Xi3, if the DVR loses power for some strange reason, then the Xi3 can't watch live TV.

We are going to see lots of new posters in this board as the Xi3 is installed across the Comcast footprint.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

Another thing:

If my X1 DVR loses power for some really strange reason, my RNG150's continue to be able to watch live TV.  They wouldn't have access to the DVR's recordings.

But with the Xi3, if the DVR loses power for some strange reason, then the Xi3 can't watch live TV.

We are going to see lots of new posters in this board as the Xi3 is installed across the Comcast footprint.

Now you know why I am such a huge advocate on the use of UPS's on all of my electronic equipment....here in the lightning capital, it's a necessity!!!!  <VBG>

-=Ray=-

Valued Contributor

@geek46 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Another thing:

Now you know why I am such a huge advocate on the use of UPS's on all of my electronic equipment....here in the lightning capital, it's a necessity!!!!  <VBG>

-=Ray=-

Yeah, I’ve put this new, small, low-cost APC BGE70 UPS on my cable box and DVD-recorder now to prevent issues during short power blinks/hits that we sometimes get here.

It's supposed to provide up to 75 Watts, and last up to 3 hours with a 10 Watt load

APC BGE70 3-Outlet Home Network UPS - $39.99

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BGE70-3-Outlet-Home-Network/dp/B00KH07WRC

Valued Contributor

I dunno. I personally like the XR2 remote. It's more compact and just fits better in the hand, and the whole voice functionality with that newer remote seems like a gimmic.

New Poster

Do all Xi3 boxes come with the newer XR5 remote or did you order this remote along with the box?

Expert

@zk1785 wrote:

Do all Xi3 boxes come with the newer XR5 remote or did you order this remote along with the box?

Since Xr2, XR5 & XR11 remotes all work with X1 hardware, it really depends on what the local parts house has in stock when they dispatch the installer with the asset....  remotes are a dime a dozen....

-=Ray=-

Contributor

hello all,

xi3 box couldn't pass a video signal thur my integra 30.6 receiver. audio only.
video signal ok from box directly to tv. the Comcast tech tried switching hdmi cables with no luck.
so back to the blue lite satellite box.
anyone else using the xi3 box with a receiver?

Gold Problem Solver

Welcome to the world of X1 and HDMI handshakes. Did the tech try a different Xi3 box???

I know you have a very nice receiver but Onkyo receivers are well known for HDMI issues. Have other cable boxes worked over HDMI? I am guessing your other sources work over HDMI?

Do you have another X1 box you can test with? Maybe you need to get the Xi3 up and running connected directly to the TV, unplug and reboot it a couple times to make sure the firmware is up to date, then try again with your Onkyo. Is the firmware in your Onkyo up to date?

I am somewhat familar with your receiver. I am extremely familiar with X1. If you have your Onkyo receiver in a higher end system, I would have my main X1 DVR installed there, not a "Companion" box...

@donaldsonjune wrote:

hello all,

xi3 box couldn't pass a video signal thur my integra 30.6 receiver. audio only.
video signal ok from box directly to tv. the Comcast tech tried switching hdmi cables with no luck.
so back to the blue lite satellite box.
anyone else using the xi3 box with a receiver?

Contributor

hello Rickgr4,

i'll check to see if integra firmware is updated. also before buying the htr-30.6 i did some research. i wanted the processor but it had hdmi issues also. but i seem to be the test case in philly for the X1. the tech should have gotten the xi3 box updated. i'll reschedule an appointment.

Contributor

rick,

the integra firmware is up to date.

Gold Problem Solver

If I were you, I would do whatever I needed to do to track down an Arris made DVR and connect it to your Onkyo.

Currently there are six different boxes available. The Arris DVR is the only one I will have in my house, especially if it were connected to a high end theater system.

@donaldsonjune wrote:

rick,

the integra firmware is up to date.

Regular Contributor

The boxes get updated automatically, the tech doesn't do it.
Gold Problem Solver

Errr umm that is not necessarily the case... Would you like me to up date you about the different types of updates that X1 boxes receive and how they receive them???

@pgoldberg wrote:
The boxes get updated automatically, the tech doesn't do it.

Contributor

hello rickgr4,

the tech switched me back to the blue lite satitlite box. i'm going to call to get a xi3 box and i'll get it updated first then switch / put it thur the integra receiver.

Gold Problem Solver

Let me know how things go. Feel free to send me a private message if you need more help.

@donaldsonjune wrote:

hello rickgr4,

the tech switched me back to the blue lite satitlite box. i'm going to call to get a xi3 box and i'll get it updated first then switch / put it thur the integra receiver.

Regular Contributor

It is my understanding on the updates is that it is done automatically.  The only exception is when you get a "test / beta" update whch needs to be specially requested. Even then a special code needs to be put on the box to prevent the regular automatic update from overriding the beta update.

Expert

@pgoldberg wrote:

It is my understanding on the updates is that it is done automatically.  The only exception is when you get a "test / beta" update whch needs to be specially requested. Even then a special code needs to be put on the box to prevent the regular automatic update from overriding the beta update.

I have had "special" and "beta" FW put on a box and it always resets back to the standard issue FW every morning when the reboot sequence is initiated by Comcast... therer is no special code that can be applied that I know of....

-=Ray=-