Community Forum

Xi-6 Availability

Contributor

Xi-6 Availability

Has anyone been able to obtain an Xi-6 from Comcast?  My understanding is this is the only non-DVR STB that can provide 4K content and communicate with the XG1v4 DVR.

I was told today by tech support that they will not be available until April 2018.

So as of today, the only option is to install another XG1v4 which is 2.5X the price per month.

Expert

Re: Xi-6 Availability

@Harrry0 wrote:

Has anyone been able to obtain an Xi-6 from Comcast?  My understanding is this is the only non-DVR STB that can provide 4K content and communicate with the XG1v4 DVR.

I was told today by tech support that they will not be available until April 2018.

So as of today, the only option is to install another XG1v4 which is 2.5X the price per month.

DVR is 2x the price of the companion. the xi5 and xi6 are wireless (or ethernet connected) devices and currently are only available with a 'professional tech install' that includes when necessary the needed rental gateway modem that powers the use of the xi5 and xi6 set top boxes. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Yes, thats what I was told today by Comcast tech support - which essentially leaves everyone who needs a 4K solution for a second 4K TV forced to rent a second DVR which is not a cost effective option for most Comcast customers.

Comcast should provide the Xi-6 as a self install kit - customers are able to install wireless gateways - what’s the big deal?
Expert

@Harrry0 wrote:
Yes, thats what I was told today by Comcast tech support - which essentially leaves everyone who needs a 4K solution for a second 4K TV forced to rent a second DVR which is not a cost effective option for most Comcast customers.

Comcast should provide the Xi-6 as a self install kit - customers are able to install wireless gateways - what’s the big deal?

the installl process includes the verification that the wifi network will work in the actual environment and to connect/install the needed modem/gateway. if install is not successful then there is no current other solution other than a 2nd or 3rd v4 DVR.  Pretty sure that all future version set top boxes boxes released will be 4k compatible.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Rusty do you know if the Xi6's are still self-install only?

Also, I have an acquiantance with two XG1v3's (redundant). He just got a 4k box for the main tv (the other one is not a 4k tv). Is he wasting $$ by not getting a a non DVR (Xid) box for the bedroom? I thought the price difference was ~$4/month for XiD v XG1v3 or v4 but the previous commenter stated it is 2.5x more/month to have  a DVR vs non-DVR?

Expert

If a person has purchased a good high-end UHD television, there is always the option that I am using.

I am waiting for a stand-alone 4k cable-box from Comcast. It most likely will not happen until some network(s) starts televising 4K OTA, or transmits 4K programing to cable companies.

For now I still have my Cisco 150N standard HD cable-box for linear cable. I get all the 4K / HDR programing I require through the television's apps over high-speed broad-band. DSL in my particular case, but any provider on Internet will due.  Everything here has been working trouble free since January 2016. I was one of a few who watched every bit of the programing provided by Comcast on the "Ultra HD Sampler" app intil they dropped the app.

Diamond Problem Solver

Also, I have an acquiantance with two XG1v3's (redundant). He just got a 4k box for the main tv (the other one is not a 4k tv). Is he wasting $$ by not getting a a non DVR (Xid) box for the bedroom? I thought the price difference was ~$4/month for XiD v XG1v3 or v4 but the previous commenter stated it is 2.5x more/month to have a DVR vs non-DVR?

It would be up to your friend if it’s a waste of money or not. Did you ask them if they record a lot and want the extra recording space of 2 DVRs instead of one? It’s a $10 difference between boxes

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@MNtundraRET wrote:

It most likely will not happen until some network(s) starts televising 4K OTA, or transmits 4K programing to cable companies.

I was/may still be confused on 4k/UHD so am no expert but aren't we getting the 4k content from Comcast?

Recently got the XG1v4. Thought we were just future-proofing. I was shocked when we hooked it up and pretty much all HD channels were coming in at 3840 x 2160. I thought that broadcast was years away from getting that and only a few overpriced things on Netflix or Prime were available. Also, TV manufacturers ushering in the term "4k" seems silly. They could have just called it 2160p.

Any recommendations on whether I should stick with the XiD instead of Xi6 box on the other 4k TV? I think monthly rental cost is the same. Not yet sold on it being wireless but haven't heard many compalints about that.

Edit: Before I updated this post was asking about whether Xi6 needed to hook to the XG1v4 then noticied that is all covered in OP's question.

Diamond Problem Solver

And_youf, the Xi6 is not a stand alone box, it relies on an Internet connection and an XG box. There’s no price difference between the Xi6 and XiD, the only difference between the two is access to 4K Netflix and Amazon content. In the end it’s up to you to choose what fits your needs.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@CCAndrew wrote:
 only difference between the two is access to 4K Netflix and Amazon content

Thanks, you responded before I had a chance to edit my post after having read OP post again sorry about that.

Regarding the difference wouldn't I be seeing the same 3840 x 2160 that I'm seeing on the other TV over regular Comcast broadcast?

@CCAndrew wrote:
 It would be up to your friend if it’s a waste of money or not. Did you ask them if they record a lot and want the extra recording space of 2 DVRs instead of one? It’s a $10 difference between boxes

I will ask him. Thank you for the information.

Expert

When watching a 4K television over a cable channel you are only seeing an upscaled picture from either 720p or 420p.

The television must sythesize 92% of it's total pixels  from the original 8% real pixels found on a 720p screen. While the final picture may look better than your old television, it is far inferior to a real 4K picture found on "You Tube" if your have the minimum high-speed broadband required to carry the 2160p signal.

Expert

@and_youf wrote:

Also, I have an acquiantance with two XG1v3's (redundant). He just got a 4k box for the main tv (the other one is not a 4k tv). Is he wasting $$ by not getting a a non DVR (Xid) box for the bedroom? I thought the price difference was ~$4/month for XiD v XG1v3 or v4 but the previous commenter stated it is 2.5x more/month to have  a DVR vs non-DVR?

yes still and maybe permanently if the customer does not already have a gateway/modem with MoCA capability already installed. the tech has to be sure the device can successfully communicate (signal strength and signal to noise). The xi3 is $9.95 and add $10 for DVR. many of us have more than one  DVR to have more room to record and to give more cloud DVR hours.

Contributor

I have an XB6 gateway which I have in bridge mode and use only as a modem.  I have a seperate Netgear router that I use to provide WiFi and hardwired connections.  I would like to swtich my 2 XiD boxes for Xi6 boxes.  I would like to run the Xi6 boxes on hardwired connections from my Netgear router.  Note I also have a V4 DVR.  Will my desired Xi6 hard-wired connections work?

Expert

@jnlilley wrote:

I have an XB6 gateway which I have in bridge mode and use only as a modem.  I have a seperate Netgear router that I use to provide WiFi and hardwired connections.  I would like to swtich my 2 XiD boxes for Xi6 boxes.  I would like to run the Xi6 boxes on hardwired connections from my Netgear router.  Note I also have a V4 DVR.  Will my desired Xi6 hard-wired connections work?

from other posts yes, but if you run on wifi first they have to be reset to work on the cat5/6 connection.

Regular Contributor

@MNtundraRET wrote:

When watching a 4K television over a cable channel you are only seeing an upscaled picture from either 720p or 420p.

The television must sythesize 92% of it's total pixels  from the original 8% real pixels found on a 720p screen. While the final picture may look better than your old television, it is far inferior to a real 4K picture found on "You Tube" if your have the minimum high-speed broadband required to carry the 2160p signal.

Alrighty then my excitement has waned Smiley Happy. Makes sense as I was watching a sporting event 5 feet from the TV and was not really blown away. Thank you for that info that got me on the right track to making sense of it. Was just reading about this ATSC 3.0 and was getting deeper in a pit of confusion that I don't belong in. This helps with deicding to just stick with Xi3 on the other TV and not bother with Xi6 for now.

The 92%/8% explanation is interesting. Are 1080p pictures that go to a regular HD or 4k television upconverted from 720/480 also?

I'm going to try some Netflix (trial) 4k/UHD or YT content tomorrow to see what it should look like. The gateway is an XB6 300Mbps downstream that should be plenty to stream. Comcast had some 4k demo content with Olympic Snowboarding but cannot find that anymore.

So on YouTube, when I see the option to view in 4k that is "real 4k" since it was produced with the applicable video equipment. The broadcast signals I am getting were recorded with older tech that needs upconversion? Is it the XG1 that is doing the conversion or my television?

Forrest Gump had to have been made before 4k recording equipment was in use. I don't have any 4k/UHD options for streaming but there is a version in 4k on Blu-Ray. Is that the same thing? A 720p picture that has been upscaled?

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

yes still and maybe permanently if the customer does not already have a gateway/modem with MoCA capability already installed. the tech has to be sure the device can successfully communicate (signal strength and signal to noise). The xi3 is $9.95 and add $10 for DVR. many of us have more than one  DVR to have more room to record and to give more cloud DVR hours.

Thank you Rusty.

New Poster

Did you get this configuration working?