Community Forum

Xfinity picture quality - “HD content”

New Poster

Xfinity picture quality - “HD content”

Does Comcast/Xfinity ever plan on improving the terrible picture quality on their boxes? Watching sports is especially excruciating. When thinking about the hundreds of dollars I spend for my Xfinity TV and how terrible the picture looks on a 4K TV especially compared to how good the picture is (including sports/NFL) on streaming services it makes me wonder for how much longer I can justify paying for cable.  I don’t want to cancel, I am hoping Comcast will get with the times or they will be left behind.

Expert

Re: Xfinity picture quality - “HD content”

This article explains the availability of Xfinity boxes that support 4K.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/uhd-4k-faqs

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Tags (4)
Expert

@tculle wrote:

Does Comcast/Xfinity ever plan on improving the terrible picture quality on their boxes? Watching sports is especially excruciating. When thinking about the hundreds of dollars I spend for my Xfinity TV and how terrible the picture looks on a 4K TV especially compared to how good the picture is (including sports/NFL) on streaming services it makes me wonder for how much longer I can justify paying for cable.  I don’t want to cancel, I am hoping Comcast will get with the times or they will be left behind.

cable service channels are native 720p60. local channels are 720p or 1080i. There is no 4k commercial transmission yet. what output do you have as a setting from your cable TV app?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I too am having this issue.  Just got new 4k TV and the Xg1v4 box.  TV looks great on 4k content from netflix, amazon, and games on xbox one X.

Comcast looks terrible, particularly sports.  Cables are all premium certified HDMI, and I've tried every output the Comcast box provides.  Just too much compression for the movement in a sports broadcast.

Expert

@darthcurry wrote:

I too am having this issue.  Just got new 4k TV and the Xg1v4 box.  TV looks great on 4k content from netflix, amazon, and games on xbox one X.

Comcast looks terrible, particularly sports.  Cables are all premium certified HDMI, and I've tried every output the Comcast box provides.  Just too much compression for the movement in a sports broadcast.

some sports channels are in your local market and are in 720p or 1080i (artifacts surely visible on 4k). you might try changing ouput of set top box to 1080p and use 4k when using netflix. using 720p will let your TV do the resizing but nothing is going to fix the 1080i artifacts on local 1080i channels blown up to 4k.

New Poster

As I mentioned, I have tried all of the available output resolutions on the Comcast box, and none are good.  Non-motion HD channels look ok (not great; I realize nobody broadcasts in 4k and was expecting this).

But the sports content with lots of motion just seems like there is too much there for whatever compression algorithm is being used either in transmission of the signal or processing in the Comcast box.

Expert

@darthcurry wrote:

As I mentioned, I have tried all of the available output resolutions on the Comcast box, and none are good.  Non-motion HD channels look ok (not great; I realize nobody broadcasts in 4k and was expecting this).

But the sports content with lots of motion just seems like there is too much there for whatever compression algorithm is being used either in transmission of the signal or processing in the Comcast box. 

is this a local channel as I detailed? if so, what network? (can look up 720p or 1080i of the network). nothing can fix motion on 1080i it is interlaced and not used in non-over the air transmission of television for cable networks.

New Poster

Rusty-

I appreciate your continued activity on this thread.  I have seen this issue on multiple channels; perhaps all are 1080i?  ESPN, ESPN2,  NBC Sports BayArea (N California sports station).  I'll check a national network broadcast and see if it looks similar or not and let you know.

Expert

@darthcurry wrote:

Rusty-

I appreciate your continued activity on this thread.  I have seen this issue on multiple channels; perhaps all are 1080i?  ESPN, ESPN2,  NBC Sports BayArea (N California sports station).  I'll check a national network broadcast and see if it looks similar or not and let you know.

there are many sources (example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television_in_the_United_States) that give the native resolution of broadcast networks. NBC shows as 1080i, while ESPN* is 720p.