Community Forum

Xfinity box disables "Power Down" voice command

New Poster

Xfinity box disables "Power Down" voice command

Unless you manually press the power button, it's ridiculously difficult to turn off the set top box with the remote.

First, they disabled the remote's on/off function, which makes zero sense. Their justification why in the FAQ makes even less. Most recently, the voice command "Power down" has also been removed. Now, we're forced to dig into the settings menu for power preferences.

Why is this so intentionally difficult? From what I can tell, there is no benefit to using the power saver vs. just turning the box off outright. In fact it's a waste of power, since the box won't immediately turn off.

Comcast can easily do better than saying their "working on a solve for powering down boxes" by simply allowing us to control our cable box the way we want, not how they want us to.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity box disables "Power Down" voice command

@myk_r wrote:
Unless you manually press the power button, it's ridiculously difficult to turn off the set top box with the remote.

First, they disabled the remote's on/off function, which makes zero sense. Their justification why in the FAQ makes even less. Most recently, the voice command "Power down" has also been removed. Now, we're forced to dig into the settings menu for power preferences.

Why is this so intentionally difficult? From what I can tell, there is no benefit to using the power saver vs. just turning the box off outright. In fact it's a waste of power, since the box won't immediately turn off.

Comcast can easily do better than saying their "working on a solve for powering down boxes" by simply allowing us to control our cable box the way we want, not how they want us to.

I gave up worrying about it; I have two XB2's, two 4k DVR's and one X1 DVR.  The power consumption is nothing in comparison to the TV's and other devices in my home.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I assume they made this change for the same reason they disabled the power button (to the cable box) on the remote. Someone thinks they are restarting the box, and instead by mistake simply power it down. Xfinity is either spending a billion dollars a year handling questions about this, or they simply won't tolerate any.

All they have to do is change the nomenclature for "power down" to "put in sleep mode." Nearly everyone understands the difference between sleep and restart. If not, they could call it "cable box not needed for broadcast so put in save power mode."  They do a terrible job of explaining the difference on the dialog, so this is largely their own fault. Some questions are the cost of doing business. They should take their responsibility to inform seriously.

The difference in power consumption does matter to me, even if it's only a couple of watts per hour. I would like an option simpler than:

Press Xfinity button

Move the cursor to settings

Scroll to device settings

Scroll to power preferences

Scroll to power down now and press OK

Move the cursor to confirm switching to power saver/sleep mode ("Start now" really? That doesn't confuse anyone?)

Because that's one obnoxious list of actions. I'm also disabled, so bending down to push the power button...not so much.

Seems like it shouldn't be difficult for them to change to terminology that's more accurate anyway and implement a new voice command. We'll take pretty much anything at this point.

New Poster

My assumptions, to clarify my original paragraph, are that when the remote powered down both devices, users would get them out of sync and call to ask why. Then when the automatic power down was set to as little as one or two hours, users would call to ask why the box was suddenly powering down while they were watching a move. I've worked in customer support. I get it. You cannot stop all calls, and it's unreasonable to expect to. They can make it easier on themselves and on us with a little creative thinking and programming (the code kind, not the broadcast kind).  I hope they'll work harder at it.

Highlighted
New Poster

"movie" not "move"