Community Forum

Xfinity Xi5 TV Box

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity Xi5 TV Box

@Merlynmac2 wrote:
Get a Roku and use the xfinity streaming app on it. That’s what I did for my home office.

Can the same thing be accomplished with a Roku TV?  My suspicion is the answer is no.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

New Poster

Re: xi5 wireless cable box is not ready for primetime

Mine stopped working and I've done everything trying to get them to work again! Between work and commuting I haven't had time to call Comcast....ugh.
Official Employee

Is there an onscreen code or message?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

This is crazy! I'm going to make them come out and give me regular boxes. I didn't ask for these. The tech said she was doing me a favor installing them instead of drilling more holes and running more wires. Now it doesn't seem like a favor.
New Poster

How do you get this box? I did not see it as an option. How do you know what the charge will be? I have 3 TV's and would like to move one to our living room that is not wired. I don't want to put anymore TV's on my bill, just add this box.

Expert

@DebAlloway wrote:

How do you get this box? I did not see it as an option. How do you know what the charge will be? I have 3 TV's and would like to move one to our living room that is not wired. I don't want to put anymore TV's on my bill, just add this box.

the xi5/xi6(4k) wireless X1 set top boxes are all priced as companion (non-DVR) set top boxes at $10 (approx) per month. both of those require a special MoCA over ethernet/wireless gateway/modem available as a per month rental from Comcast. A currently free alternative is to hook up a Roku device to the TV (note it will see only the service your smart devices or TV see).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

DO NOT BELIEVE THIS LIE!

The Xi5 exists, but Comcast policy at this time is that Customers are not allowed to request it, order it, or use it.  Only new customers, who opt for Professional Installation, might be able to get one, and even then it's only at the "technician's discretion".

If you're an existing customer who wants to add a TV in a room that has no coaxial drop, you are up the creek.

Just when I thought Comcast might have actually started to evolve past being the worst customer service on Earth, they proved they haven't....

Official Employee

Xi5’s get installed all the time by request. If you need one let us know

New Poster

I am in the process of getting xfinity service for the first time including a “wireless box” as my secondary service.  The technician wasn’t sure whether the wireless service would reach my second TV.  Do you know what the range is for this box?  Can I use WiFi extender? Also, is the current wireless box HD?

Official Employee

There are too many variables in Wi-Fi signals to determine a true range. That’s something your install technician will determine. All X1 boxes are HD compatible

New Poster

No. My box has been off for 3 days. I've done all the tests and still no results. Error report 505
New Poster

Can this box be picked up at the store for self install?
Expert

@Bigj870323 wrote:
Can this box be picked up at the store for self install?

requires (currently) a professional install as the signal has to pass testing and wiring/signal brought up to acceptable levels. You could use a Roku (currently no charge).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@Mjpat1235

I can investigate this for you. ICan you please verify your first and last name in a private message, as well as the name of the account holder if it's different than yours? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message.

New Poster

Does the wireless box give you all the options a hardwired box does? I. E. Access to On Demand, all Recorded programs that can been seen on regular box, fast forward, pause, etc?
Expert

@rdk1960 wrote:
Does the wireless box give you all the options a hardwired box does? I. E. Access to On Demand, all Recorded programs that can been seen on regular box, fast forward, pause, etc?

yes. and if you like you can connect it via an ethernet cable, too.

New Poster

Does this box count torwards the monthly data cap? since it streams over the internet?

Official Employee

No, only if you use the internet apps

Contributor

So I've seen a few mentions of the 4k Xi6 box, I just purchased a new 4k TV this past week, is it possible to swap my Xi5 box for a comparable wireless 4k box, and if so what are the considerations?