Xfinity Xi5 TV Box

New Poster

Re: Xi5 TV Box

Any updates on IP Control for X1 ? 

Expert

china73 wrote:

Any updates on IP Control for X1 ? 

you can use an iOS or Android smart device to run the Xfinity TV Remote app. Hit the microphone and you can do much of what the remote can do via IP (TCIP)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: XI5, how does it work.

I was able to get one thru inquiring with comcast chat.  My local office told me they had none available.  But their service tech has them and been installing them on new x1 installs when requested.  So i asked for an outlet to be installed in my living room and asked about the xi5.  The agent told me they were available in my area (Flint,Mi) and the tech will be able come out.  This all happen on the same day.  The comcast tech told me they been installing the xi5 in my area since May.  Wondering what kind of charge will i get since the original request to install an outlet is $60

New Poster

xi5 wireless cable box is not ready for primetime

Very frustrated with the xi5 wireless cable box. It works for 1-2 weeks, & then doesn't. For no apparent reason. They can't seem to fix the problem remotely, so requires a tech visit.  The second box in a month has just stopped working.  Next stop, billing department.  Charging for equipment that doesn't work reliably for more than 2 weeks....

Most Valued Poster

Re: xi5 wireless cable box is not ready for primetime

I would say about 99% of the folks here do not have the xi5 available in their area and have no idea if and when they ever will get it so we can be of no help as we have never seen one.  I tried to get one about 3 months ago or so and was told it is a no no in my area.  

New Poster

Are there any updates to the public release of the wireless box? Thanks!

Silver Problem Solver

Just keep watching this thread - it will be updated here.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

I have had one for about 3 weeks and had no problems with the xi5. I do have a strong wifi signal to box
Official Employee

Hi Frustrated151, I show that we had a tech come out to your home already to repair this issue. Are you still having problems with your Xi5 cable box? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

with the XI5 theres a few factors. your modem needs to properly communicate to your main box (xg2 or x1 DVR threw moca). the box works off of the 5GHz network so it will have to be in fairly close range of the modem. the amount of bars or your speed test wont help you here. the RSSI needs to be greater then -67 on your 5GHz network. 2 ways of verify this. go to your wireless box and use your remote to access the diagnostic screen. (hold [exit] for 5 seconds then press the [down arrow] twice then hit [2]) that will bring you to a menu and you just have to go down to the wifi tab. RSSI will show in a negative number so greater then -67 will be closer to 0. they also offer apps to check the RSSI(Airport Utility is a good one). 

New Poster

What markets are these boxes available. I live in PG county Maryland and they told me at the store that they had XG1 v4 boxes, but I dont need a dvr.
Silver Problem Solver

Dada857 wrote:
What markets are these boxes available. I live in PG county Maryland and they told me at the store that they had XG1 v4 boxes, but I dont need a dvr.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xi5-TV-Box/m-p/2860100#M122604

**UPDATE 6/6/2017**

Some customers have received Wireless TV boxes as part of a limited trial, however the Wireless TV Box is currently not available. We are working diligently to make them available soon.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

New Poster

We just had 2 of these put in our basement yesterday since we didn't have any outlets down there.  I just used a couple smaller TV's so that the tech could make sure everything would work, as I just bought a couple of 4K TV's to put on the wall for my man cave.  A few questions:

How does the picture look compared to a box?  I'm pretty sure it's not 4K compatible and that's fine, but will the picture look just as crisp as with a normal box?

Is there a lag with these boxes?  For instance when I would watch a baseball game on PS Vue, I was like a good minute or so behind when something actually happened.  It drove me nuts.

Will this eat up as much data as PS Vue did, or is this not considered streaming as much?  I have no idea about any of this stuff.

Thanks!

Contributor

I have one installed and the picture looks just as good as a normal box.  I see no lag when i compare it to the normal box in my bedroom.  The data it uses when watching cable channels are not counted against your monthly allowance.  Every once in a while a may have to unplug and plug it up if it becomes stuck.  Remember If your gateway modem is not working then the box will not work.

Official Employee

Hey JCastelli10,

You're lucky! I wish that box was available here in my area. I've been doing some research on it on my end since I found out it would be available, so I'm more than happy to help answer your questions in regards to the Xi5.

The quality of the picture should be the same as any other cable box. Of course, as with any other X1 device, the signal levels at your home will need to be in spec (if not, you will see latency and other issues) and you would have to have a compatible gateway, which I'm assuming you do since you had a pro install. 

In regards to your question about data usage, the Wireless TV Box acts as a wired box when utilizing standard TV Box features, such as Live Broadcast, Video on Demand, Pay Per View and Guide. Internet Apps, such as Netflix, Pandora and YouTube, will continue to count toward data usage.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

<Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">.  It worked for one week, froze up, and now will not reboot or connect to my gateway.  (It is literally 12" from the gateway and continues to tell me to try again or move set top box closer to the gateway).  The technician who installed it told me they have had a lot of issues with them so be prepared.  Tried an ehternet connection between box and gateway also, and that wouldn't work either.  System refresh, system restore, reboot gateway, nothing has solved the issue.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">

Regular Contributor

xi5 vs streaming devices

As far as the xi5 pix quality goes, its on par with streaming hulu, sling, ext.Since the xi5 & 4k xi6 are ip boxes the mpeg-4 compression doesn't seem to affect the xi5 box as it does the xg1 boxes.There have been some who said because of mpeg-4 they wont use comcast tv service, at first hand comparison i see no difference in pix quality streaming tv through a amazon fire, roku or a 4k apple tv vs the xi5 box.I calibrate my high end tv for maximum sharpness & pix detail.With the benefits of using a comcast box vs a streaming service i cant justify the trade off because of cost & convenience using comcast tv service & boxes.If the new 4k xi6 performs as well as the xi5 and better set at 2160 i will be very pleased.The xi5 & xi6 can be used as a stand alone box as long as you have a comcast compatible gateway.

New Poster

Xi5 in nashville

Is the Xi5 available in Nashville?
Regular Contributor

Re: xi5 release date

Can you connect the wireless box other than HDMI? And can you connect it in another house on the same house yard? Like 12 -20 feet away or do i need another connection
Official Employee

Hdmi connection only

It would depend on the strength of the 5ghz connection of your Wi-Fi.

Regular Contributor

when I use the wifi for my phone and walk in the yard it would work into the next yard and the yard behind it

so I think I'm good but I'm okay now I"ll just use my boxes I was going through something.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Xi5 TV Box

I noticed in your posting that it DOES say that you can connect the Xi5 TV Box to WIRED network. When we asked the installer, he said no.

Can you confirm that it can be connected to a WIRED network? Presumably, as long as it routes back to the same network that the Comcast Wireless gateway is on? 

I am having issues where the Xi5 box repeatedly "locks up" and the only way to get it working again is to unplug it and go through a reboot sequence, so I want to try wired network to see if its an issue with wireless or something with the box itself, or communicating to the main X1 TV Box. 

Thank you!

Official Employee

It does work hardwired in back to the gateway as you surmised. You may have to reset the Xi5

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, Andrew! Much appreciated!

Official Employee

As stated, the Xi5 will work connected via the Ethernet port. You will have to restart the Xi5 to move the video connection from WiFi to Ethernet. Let us know if you still see lock ups with the Xi5 and we can take a closer look.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastLeon/ComcastAndrew --

Today it locked up much worse than before. I have not yet connected it to my wired network due to needing to run some CAT6 cables, but had a few add on questions

1 - Do you think there would be an issue if I have a separate router that I connect in a MESH configuration to my Xfinity Wireless Gateway? I had purchased a Ubiquiti AmpliFi router in my old home and wanted to keep using it. Instead of setting it up as a seaprate network, I'm able to tell the AmpliFi device to "mesh" to an existing network and then put in the Network SSID and password from the Wireless Gateway. I also have a separate AmpliFi mesh antenna, similar to your home pods ,that I've connected in my garage .. but that is far enough away it wouldn't be connecting to it.  Since they are all on the SAME IP network and all getting addresses directly from the Wireless Gateway, I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but wanted to ask.

2 - Are there any details or manuals you can point me to that helps me know more about the Xi5 operation, buttons, etc. ? When the Xi5 box locked up and we plugged back in .. it just kept sitting on the screen that said powering up .. wait a few minutes. I noticed many times over that on the TV it switched from a 480SD signal then after a few minutes to a 720HD signal, then back again ... but never went to 1080P. I tried powering off again and then tried turning back on .. also pressing the "pairing" button (that's what I think it is anyway) on the bottom. When I did that, it brought me to some sort of blue diagnostic screen that displayed things like software update, troubleshooting, etc.  It had options from A-D but I was not able to use the remote to pick any selections and the button on the bottom wouldn't change the option, so I ultimately unplugged the box again. It finally got to a screen but wanted to join a wireless network again, either through pairing or manual setup. When I tried pairing, it never seemed to do anything even though I hit the pair button on the wireless gateway.  When I tried manual setup, it would NEVER display any wireless networks to even choose one and input a password, then eventually it would just go back to a screen that said "connecting to your entertainment experience" but never getting any farther.  Eventually, I just unplugged the device completely so it wasn't stuck forever. I'll have to try to get help from you (your team) or call Comcast.

So far I am a bit disappointed in how often this thing has locked up and caused me a problem and failure to watch programming after only having it for 2 weeks.

Expert

@trflesher wrote:

ComcastLeon/ComcastAndrew --

Today it locked up much worse than before. I have not yet connected it to my wired network due to needing to run some CAT6 cables, but had a few add on questions

1 - Do you think there would be an issue if I have a separate router that I connect in a MESH configuration to my Xfinity Wireless Gateway? I had purchased a Ubiquiti AmpliFi router in my old home and wanted to keep using it. Instead of setting it up as a seaprate network, I'm able to tell the AmpliFi device to "mesh" to an existing network and then put in the Network SSID and password from the Wireless Gateway. I also have a separate AmpliFi mesh antenna, similar to your home pods ,that I've connected in my garage .. but that is far enough away it wouldn't be connecting to it.  Since they are all on the SAME IP network and all getting addresses directly from the Wireless Gateway, I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but wanted to ask.

2 - Are there any details or manuals you can point me to that helps me know more about the Xi5 operation, buttons, etc. ? When the Xi5 box locked up and we plugged back in .. it just kept sitting on the screen that said powering up .. wait a few minutes. I noticed many times over that on the TV it switched from a 480SD signal then after a few minutes to a 720HD signal, then back again ... but never went to 1080P. I tried powering off again and then tried turning back on .. also pressing the "pairing" button (that's what I think it is anyway) on the bottom. When I did that, it brought me to some sort of blue diagnostic screen that displayed things like software update, troubleshooting, etc.  It had options from A-D but I was not able to use the remote to pick any selections and the button on the bottom wouldn't change the option, so I ultimately unplugged the box again. It finally got to a screen but wanted to join a wireless network again, either through pairing or manual setup. When I tried pairing, it never seemed to do anything even though I hit the pair button on the wireless gateway.  When I tried manual setup, it would NEVER display any wireless networks to even choose one and input a password, then eventually it would just go back to a screen that said "connecting to your entertainment experience" but never getting any farther.  Eventually, I just unplugged the device completely so it wasn't stuck forever. I'll have to try to get help from you (your team) or call Comcast.

So far I am a bit disappointed in how often this thing has locked up and caused me a problem and failure to watch programming after only having it for 2 weeks.

have you moved the xi5 since the tech installed it? if so, move it back to original location and see if it starts working again.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Nope, the Xi5 box is in the exact same spot it's been since the install and so has the wireless gateway. They are sending out a technician this evening with a new box. 

Official Employee

Have the tech check the wireless reading that it’s not too far away from the gateway

Frequent Visitor

Will do .. although it's right in the next bedroom (room) .. and the one in the bedroom across the hall that is further away is working fine. 

New Poster

Can I pick up this equipment at any Xfinity store in Atlanta. Ponce City Market or at Delk and Powers Ferry?
Official Employee

No, I believe it’s still tech install only

New Poster

Thank you
Regular Contributor

I’m having an issue with my 1 xi5 box it works for a min then freezes up saying rdk03053 my other XI5 is working fine just the 1 box doesn’t want to work only had 2 days!
Official Employee

Did you try resetting the dvr, modem and Xi5 all at the same time?

Regular Contributor

I think Ihave already done this means unplugging them all the same time then reconnecting all of them I also tried to disconnect the xi5 from the network and reconnect it only works for one minute and froze up again however if I plug it in to ethernet it works fine I don’t have ethernet ports in my room I tested the ethernet near the modem ? It’s only happening with the one not both xi5 wich happens to be the one closer to the modem
Official Employee

Try swapping locations of the 2 wireless boxes and see if the freezing follows the box or it’s the location.
Or
Changing the channel the 5ghz band is broadcasting on
Or
See if there are Xi6 boxes available in your area yet, they’re the same but use the 2.4ghz WiFi band instead

Regular Contributor

Technician who came out to my house said Xi6 wansnt available could you check on your end and I will try what you suggested and let you know
Regular Contributor

The box disconnected from internet when I moved it into the master bedroom when I tried to swap the boxes I don’t think it’s a signal issue when the tech came on Thursday the signal was fine and only this box is not working I think it’s a bad Xi5 how can I get an XI6 the tech said they weren’t available yet don’t know if that’s true ? The rep I spoke to on the phone said they were available in my area but a tech would have to do it at their discretion I wouldn’t mind having the Xi6 shipped to me or a tech who may have Xi6 on his or her truck! As this tv is a 4K tv I recently got and it’s not near a coxax outlet. Also to note when i troubleshooted over the phone they I think changed the 5ghz signal let me know what I should do next ? Andrew thanks
Regular Contributor

Andrew update Had my XI5 swapped out by tech also curious would XFi PODs help with Xi5 if I have anymore problems
Silver Problem Solver

deleted

Official Employee

Yes, the pods can help with the Xi5, they are just an extension of your gateway(XB3//XB6)

New Poster

I have my own firewall and the modem is in bridge mode with WiFi disabled. Can I still use a wireless box?
Official Employee

Nope, Comcast Gateway only

Regular Contributor

Why not just use a roku with xfinity stream ? Will this box make the linear streaming quality from 720p?
Expert

@Waqas1 wrote:
Why not just use a roku with xfinity stream ? Will this box make the linear streaming quality from 720p?

yes

New Poster

Let me know when this can be used WITHOUT an xfinity wireless gateway.  I want to use my own modem and router and do not want to pay a monthly fee to rent yours.  As soon as this is possible, I'll sign up for xfinity services.  Until then, I'm waiting.

Official Employee

I doubt that will happen, it’s special software that allows communication between gateway/XG device and Xi5/Xi6

New Poster

Get a Roku and use the xfinity streaming app on it. That’s what I did for my home office.