Community Forum

Xfinity XG1v4 TV Box

Regular Visitor

Re: XG4 (XG1v4) Launched

No excitement for the remote, here. It’s way too cramped and I find it difficult to use. Also, they got rid of the TV power button and it only has POWER ALL which totally breaks my receiver programming.
Expert

@BrianT1968 wrote:

Don't get too excited...I've had mine for 5 months and there is ZERO 4K material out there aside from some outdated Olympic coverage

do you have netflix with the 4k UHD access?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Is there an IR receiver on the XiD-C? If so, where is it located? I have a Control4 system and am trying to place the IR emitter. 

Silver Problem Solver

@springbrook1 wrote:

Is there an IR receiver on the XiD-C? If so, where is it located? I have a Control4 system and am trying to place the IR emitter. 

See if this helps: (from a google)

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-Boxes-and-IR-Locations/td-p/2720333

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

The 4K is simply a disguised HD box.  Until they come out with 4K programming, which may be never at this pace, this box is nothing more than a glorified X1.

Contributor

@jpalandra wrote:

The 4K is simply a disguised HD box.  Until they come out with 4K programming, which may be never at this pace, this box is nothing more than a glorified X1.

Hence the name “XG1”. 

Regular Contributor

Did firmware 3.0 roll out nationally? I am still on 2.14 so no HDR on Netflix for me.
Expert

@2themax wrote:
Did firmware 3.0 roll out nationally? I am still on 2.14 so no HDR on Netflix for me.

yes rolling out. got it on my 'late' box today. others last friday

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@2themax wrote:

yes rolling out. got it on my 'late' box today. others last friday

Is that why the light on my box was blinking last week? I’ll have to check my current version. I didn’t even know there was an update anticipated. What are the new features?

Frequent Visitor

my unit lost the connection w the TV the 3rd or 4th time in the last couple of months, had to power cycle it yesteday by unplugging it from the power, will ask X to replace it.
I am on 3.0.0. Native, XRE Protocol is on 2.8.0 from 5/3/18
Contributor

@FL4TWRX wrote:
No excitement for the remote, here. It’s way too cramped and I find it difficult to use. Also, they got rid of the TV power button and it only has POWER ALL which totally breaks my receiver programming.

I'm not very excited regarding the new XR15 remote myself and stuck with the XR11 remote.  The XR11 is much more intuitive for me.  The biggest thing I don't like on the newer XR15 remotes are the center arrow keys.  You never know if your pressing in the correct area of the remote. The old XR11 is much easier to navigate and use these keys without looking at it.  

I'm not sure what they were thinking when it was redesigned and it doesn't appear the end user had much if at all any input on it's design.  For me it's certainly a big step backwards in design change.  

Regular Visitor

The entire line is a design debacle. There is no need for such large cable boxes, noisy mechanical hard drives that never spin down no matter what settings we choose (or a hard drive in the box at all), and many of us miss a self-setting accurate clock. 

We sure hope that the next deisgn does away with hard drives, minimizes the box size, does away with hardware that is never used (Ethernet and USB ports, for example) and includes a clock.

Better yet, why not an app that does away with all Comcast / Xfinity hardware?

Expert

@VaDeltahChi wrote:

The entire line is a design debacle. There is no need for such large cable boxes, noisy mechanical hard drives that never spin down no matter what settings we choose (or a hard drive in the box at all), and many of us miss a self-setting accurate clock. 

We sure hope that the next deisgn does away with hard drives, minimizes the box size, does away with hardware that is never used (Ethernet and USB ports, for example) and includes a clock.

Better yet, why not an app that does away with all Comcast / Xfinity hardware?

to your last comment: you can subscribe to xfinity internet and use the xfinity instant TV subscription for no set top boxes in the home. smart devices and Roku are allowed to use the subscription in the home. 

Frequent Visitor

I've never heard of that before, but this is what Comcast tells me when I click "try one month free":

"You can already get the entertainment you love anywhere, on any device with the XFINITY Stream App. Everything is included at no addtional cost, only for XFINITY TV customers."

And, it's a beta app on Roku?

Activate the Xfinity Stream Beta App on Roku

This article provides instructions on how to activate the Xfinity Stream Beta app on Roku. Some customers may have to re-accept Terms of Activation based on updates to account entitlements.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activate-xfinity-tv-app-on-roku

So, I have to drop Xfinity TV before I can see what I can get without Xfinity TV on a different app?

Expert

@vadeltachi wrote:

I've never heard of that before, but this is what Comcast tells me when I click "try one month free":

"You can already get the entertainment you love anywhere, on any device with the XFINITY Stream App. Everything is included at no addtional cost, only for XFINITY TV customers."

And, it's a beta app on Roku?

Activate the Xfinity Stream Beta App on Roku

This article provides instructions on how to activate the Xfinity Stream Beta app on Roku. Some customers may have to re-accept Terms of Activation based on updates to account entitlements.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activate-xfinity-tv-app-on-roku

So, I have to drop Xfinity TV before I can see what I can get without Xfinity TV on a different app?

the roku is on a free beta and that is why it is available (also) to the instant TV subscriber. Instant TV is only available to 'internet only' subscribers. Seems to me it would be a cool add-on sub for recording a separate 20 hours ONLY to a separate cloud DVR that would not work on home X1 equipment. but at this time, you and I would not have the Instant TV option since we have the X1 set top boxes already.