Community Forum

Xfinity XG1v4 TV Box

Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

@ and

 

Thanks for the detailed clarification of viewing the events in 4k.  I agree with you that I never record sports events and disappointed they are not being broadcast live in 4k.  I did check it out on the NBC app and it's looks pretty good as you say.  Thanks Smiley Happy

Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


@  wrote:

From what I understand you are doing nothing wrong, there is nothing for you to find yet because there have been no events that have taken place 24 hours ago yet.  They are delaying all 4K for 24 hours and putting it all on demand from the time they show it "live" here in the US.  So in some cases I'm assuming that could mean even longer than 24 hours after the event takes place if they are showing it on a delay for our prime time here in the US such as the opening ceremonies that took place this morning US time but will be shown this evening on NBC.  Apparently according to one article I read, the broadcast they are using for the 4K is with different broadcasters and camera angles in some cases and with the use of more mics etc.  So as not to take away from the main broadcast (they don't want viewers to tune away from the main broadcast and switch to the 4K broadcast for some reason) they are only making it available on this delay.  If it wasn't a sporting event that may make sense, however for my household, sporting events are just about the only thing left that we do not DVR anymore and skip through the commercials.  We don't want to watch a sporting event that we already know the outcome of - especially one with such intense coverage as the Olympics where it's next to impossible to not learn the outcome ahead of time with all of the notifications and social media updates that everyone has these days.  Comcast seems so proud to be able to offer this technology, and then they make it so no one will want to use it because the network does not have the means to broadcast it live via their local feeds.  If this weren't a sporting event this model would be more attractive.

 

So, sometime tonight you can choose to watch what's happening live in HD that your 4K TV will do a decent job of converting for you, or you can go into the on demand on your 4K box and either rewatch the skating that you may have already seen last night or that you already heard or read about on the evening news last night or in an update on your phone today.  I have an AppleTV 4K and I was watching the olympics stream on the NBC app which they were broadcasting in 1080P - they have a large number of events to chose from.  The feed upscaled on my LG OLED looked very good.  I will probably just choose to watch that live rather than watch sports on demand.  It's too bad as they really could have had something great here.  I'll definitely look at some of it after the fact to see how it looks, but I'm not interested in a large sporting event after the fact.


Thank you Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


@ wrote:

From what I understand you are doing nothing wrong, there is nothing for you to find yet because there have been no events that have taken place 24 hours ago yet.  They are delaying all 4K for 24 hours and putting it all on demand from the time they show it "live" here in the US.  So in some cases I'm assuming that could mean even longer than 24 hours after the event takes place if they are showing it on a delay for our prime time here in the US such as the opening ceremonies that took place this morning US time but will be shown this evening on NBC.  Apparently according to one article I read, the broadcast they are using for the 4K is with different broadcasters and camera angles in some cases and with the use of more mics etc.  So as not to take away from the main broadcast (they don't want viewers to tune away from the main broadcast and switch to the 4K broadcast for some reason) they are only making it available on this delay.  If it wasn't a sporting event that may make sense, however for my household, sporting events are just about the only thing left that we do not DVR anymore and skip through the commercials.  We don't want to watch a sporting event that we already know the outcome of - especially one with such intense coverage as the Olympics where it's next to impossible to not learn the outcome ahead of time with all of the notifications and social media updates that everyone has these days.  Comcast seems so proud to be able to offer this technology, and then they make it so no one will want to use it because the network does not have the means to broadcast it live via their local feeds.  If this weren't a sporting event this model would be more attractive.

 

So, sometime tonight you can choose to watch what's happening live in HD that your 4K TV will do a decent job of converting for you, or you can go into the on demand on your 4K box and either rewatch the skating that you may have already seen last night or that you already heard or read about on the evening news last night or in an update on your phone today.  I have an AppleTV 4K and I was watching the olympics stream on the NBC app which they were broadcasting in 1080P - they have a large number of events to chose from.  The feed upscaled on my LG OLED looked very good.  I will probably just choose to watch that live rather than watch sports on demand.  It's too bad as they really could have had something great here.  I'll definitely look at some of it after the fact to see how it looks, but I'm not interested in a large sporting event after the fact.


This is probably a stupid question but I have an LG oled 4k but how do you know its upscaling 1080p content to 4k? I have my xg1v4 set to 2160/60 fps. I havent come across an info type button on the LG that gives you the resolution.

Regular Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

If it's a live event broadcast on NBC I'll probably just watch it on my HD antenna I put in the attic. Couldn't believe how much better the picture was when I hooked it up about a month and a half ago.

Expert

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


wrote:

wrote:

From what I understand you are doing nothing wrong, there is nothing for you to find yet because there have been no events that have taken place 24 hours ago yet.  They are delaying all 4K for 24 hours and putting it all on demand from the time they show it "live" here in the US.  So in some cases I'm assuming that could mean even longer than 24 hours after the event takes place if they are showing it on a delay for our prime time here in the US such as the opening ceremonies that took place this morning US time but will be shown this evening on NBC.  Apparently according to one article I read, the broadcast they are using for the 4K is with different broadcasters and camera angles in some cases and with the use of more mics etc.  So as not to take away from the main broadcast (they don't want viewers to tune away from the main broadcast and switch to the 4K broadcast for some reason) they are only making it available on this delay.  If it wasn't a sporting event that may make sense, however for my household, sporting events are just about the only thing left that we do not DVR anymore and skip through the commercials.  We don't want to watch a sporting event that we already know the outcome of - especially one with such intense coverage as the Olympics where it's next to impossible to not learn the outcome ahead of time with all of the notifications and social media updates that everyone has these days.  Comcast seems so proud to be able to offer this technology, and then they make it so no one will want to use it because the network does not have the means to broadcast it live via their local feeds.  If this weren't a sporting event this model would be more attractive.

 

So, sometime tonight you can choose to watch what's happening live in HD that your 4K TV will do a decent job of converting for you, or you can go into the on demand on your 4K box and either rewatch the skating that you may have already seen last night or that you already heard or read about on the evening news last night or in an update on your phone today.  I have an AppleTV 4K and I was watching the olympics stream on the NBC app which they were broadcasting in 1080P - they have a large number of events to chose from.  The feed upscaled on my LG OLED looked very good.  I will probably just choose to watch that live rather than watch sports on demand.  It's too bad as they really could have had something great here.  I'll definitely look at some of it after the fact to see how it looks, but I'm not interested in a large sporting event after the fact.


This is probably a stupid question but I have an LG oled 4k but how do you know its upscaling 1080p content to 4k? I have my xg1v4 set to 2160/60 fps. I havent come across an info type button on the LG that gives you the resolution.


on my vizio and sharp TVs using the TV remote to change to a different input and then back to the DVR tells me the connection resolution. some TVs (not mine) give you that info using the TV's remote and their info button.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

@ wrote:

 

"on my vizio and sharp TVs using the TV remote to change to a different input and then back to the DVR tells me the connection resolution. some TVs (not mine) give you that info using the TV's remote and their info button."

 

This method does not necessarily give you the actual resolution of the program you are watching.  On my Samsung (like your Vizio and Sharp)  it will show me the resolution that is set with the XG1v4. Mine shows 2160/60P UHD.  But it still shows this resoution even with lower resolution programs being watched.

Expert

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


wrote:

@ wrote:

 

"on my vizio and sharp TVs using the TV remote to change to a different input and then back to the DVR tells me the connection resolution. some TVs (not mine) give you that info using the TV's remote and their info button."

 

This method does not necessarily give you the actual resolution of the program you are watching.  On my Samsung (like your Vizio and Sharp)  it will show me the resolution that is set with the XG1v4. Mine shows 2160/60P UHD.  But it still shows this resoution even with lower resolution programs deing watched.


Not quite true. My Samsung 3D UHD TV shows the maximum possible resolution possible for the channel being viewed. My Cisco box is set for 1080i maximum. For any channel that might be: (1920 x 1080) / 60i, (720 x 480) / 60p, or 480p resolution The same said for OTA stations. A 1080i channel could carry anything from 1080i (16:9) to an old show or commercial at 480p (4:3). Normally from watching you can figure out what is currently televised by borders (unless you enlarge picture). There is no way of really knowing each segment without special equipment, or educated guess with your own eyes. I have a 2015 Samsung 3D UHD Curved tv. Other age Samsung tvs might work differently.

Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

 wrote:
hbwone wrote:

@ wrote:

 

"on my vizio and sharp TVs using the TV remote to change to a different input and then back to the DVR tells me the connection resolution. some TVs (not mine) give you that info using the TV's remote and their info button."

 

This method does not necessarily give you the actual resolution of the program you are watching.  On my Samsung (like your Vizio and Sharp)  it will show me the resolution that is set with the XG1v4. Mine shows 2160/60P UHD.  But it still shows this resoution even with lower resolution programs deing watched.


Not quite true. My Samsung 3D UHD TV shows the maximum possible resolution possible for the channel being viewed. My Cisco box is set for 1080i maximum. For any channel that might be: (1920 x 1080) / 60i, (720 x 480) / 60p, or 480p resolution The same said for OTA stations. A 1080i channel could carry anything from 1080i (16:9) to an old show or commercial at 480p (4:3). Normally from watching you can figure out what is currently televised by borders (unless you enlarge picture). There is no way of really knowing each segment without special equipment, or educated guess with your own eyes. I have a 2015 Samsung 3D UHD Curved tv. Other age Samsung tvs might work differently.


I guess you didn't understand my reply to @RustyBen.  Just because my Samsung indicates it's resolution is set at 4K doesn't mean what I'm watching is being shown in 4k. It will always show it's connected to a 4k DVR so it's not an indicator of actual resolution being watched.  Smiley Happy  

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

I have received my XG1v4 4K box and have performed some testing to compare the video quality I get from multiple display resolution settings. Following are my findings:

 

  1. If I select one of the 4K settings, the XG1v4 outputs 4K to the TV at all times, regardless of the original content resolution. In other words, the cable box is upscaling everything to 4K regardless of the content... Even for regular 1080p station broadcasts. I know this because my projector has an information screen which shows the resolution of the input it is receiving.
  2. If I select the 1080p or 1080i display setting, the video I receive is significantly better... Better contrast and better clarity. This is because I have the XG1v4 installed in my Home Theater and it is connected to a high-end 4K projector which does an amazing job of 4K upscaling of 1080p content to my 145" screen. In this case, it certainly does a far better job of 4K upscaling than the XG1v4 box does.
  3. If I select one of the 4K settings, Netflix doesn't show the UHD content. Even the Netflix content which should be UHD (like House of Cards, Stranger Things, and etc) shows up as HD 5.1 rather than UHD. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  4. If I select one of the 4K settings, I'm still not seeing any 4K Olympics options in the Olympics On Demand. I don't know if this content has shown up yet so it may not be there for anybody at this point. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  5. As a side item, I was surprised by the fact that all of my DVR recordings showed up on the new unit. Before I replaced my previous DVR, I did the "SYNC" option in the settings. When I installed the new 4K box, all of my recordings are accessible. I assume that everything was synced in the cloud and that is what made this possible.

Based on these findings, until there is native 4K content, it appears that I am better off leaving the display setting at 1080p60 so that my projector can do the upscaling of the 1080p content. I was really hoping that it would output the original resolution for everything... 1080p for 1080p content and 4K for 4K content. This is a huge disappointment as I was looking forward to using this box for broadcast 4K.

Regards, SLY
Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

Has anybody seen any Olympics 4K content On Demand yet? I have my Xg1v4 set with a 4K display setting but I'm not yet seeting any 4K Olympics On Demand listings. I'm also not seeing any UHD options in Netflix either, although I get Netflix 4K on both my Sony X800 4K Bluray as well as my Roku 4. Both of them show a UHD section which doesn't show up on the XG1v4 box.

Regards, SLY
Regular Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


@ wrote:

Has anybody seen any Olympics 4K content On Demand yet? I have my Xg1v4 set with a 4K display setting but I'm not yet seeting any 4K Olympics On Demand listings. I'm also not seeing any UHD options in Netflix either, although I get Netflix 4K on both my Sony X800 4K Bluray as well as my Roku 4. Both of them show a UHD section which doesn't show up on the XG1v4 box.


Go to SEARCH, type in "4k". First thing on the list should be Olympics in 4k. Opening Ceremony is spectacular in 4k.

Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

I find it easiest to give your remote a verbal command.  "Show me 4k"  And the available 4k content of the Olympics pops up. There's not much there yet.

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


wrote:

I have received my XG1v4 4K box and have performed some testing to compare the video quality I get from multiple display resolution settings. Following are my findings:

 

  1. If I select one of the 4K settings, the XG1v4 outputs 4K to the TV at all times, regardless of the original content resolution. In other words, the cable box is upscaling everything to 4K regardless of the content... Even for regular 1080p station broadcasts. I know this because my projector has an information screen which shows the resolution of the input it is receiving.
  2. If I select the 1080p or 1080i display setting, the video I receive is significantly better... Better contrast and better clarity. This is because I have the XG1v4 installed in my Home Theater and it is connected to a high-end 4K projector which does an amazing job of 4K upscaling of 1080p content to my 145" screen. In this case, it certainly does a far better job of 4K upscaling than the XG1v4 box does.
  3. If I select one of the 4K settings, Netflix doesn't show the UHD content. Even the Netflix content which should be UHD (like House of Cards, Stranger Things, and etc) shows up as HD 5.1 rather than UHD. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  4. If I select one of the 4K settings, I'm still not seeing any 4K Olympics options in the Olympics On Demand. I don't know if this content has shown up yet so it may not be there for anybody at this point. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  5. As a side item, I was surprised by the fact that all of my DVR recordings showed up on the new unit. Before I replaced my previous DVR, I did the "SYNC" option in the settings. When I installed the new 4K box, all of my recordings are accessible. I assume that everything was synced in the cloud and that is what made this possible.

Based on these findings, until there is native 4K content, it appears that I am better off leaving the display setting at 1080p60 so that my projector can do the upscaling of the 1080p content. I was really hoping that it would output the original resolution for everything... 1080p for 1080p content and 4K for 4K content. This is a huge disappointment as I was looking forward to using this box for broadcast 4K.


Now that I have viewed the Olympics in native 4K resolution, I have one more comment to add to my previous comments:

 

  1. Although my projector is a high end Sony projector (VPL-VW1100ES), it was "pre HDR" so it doesn't support HDR. If my testing is any indication, it appears that the XG1v4 does a very bad job of supporting non-HDR 4K displays. In my case, the 4K Olympics Opening Ceremony is extremely washed out on my projector, which is typically very bright and crisp on 4K content. The same HD version of Opening Ceremony viewed with the 1080p60 setting then upscaled to 4K by my projector is much more crisp and has much better contrast.

The net here is that it appears that, if you don't have a HDR capable 4K TV or Projector, your results may not be what you are expecting. Hopefully others who have non-HDR setups can do their own testing and either confirm or dispute my findings. I hope that there might be future firmware updates to the unit which will do a better job of supporting SDR.

 

The good news is thatk, even though the 4K part isn't working that well for me, it seems to be a little snappier than the previous DVR so I certainly haven't taken a step backwards... Just not as much of a step forward as I was hoping for.

 

 

Regards, SLY
Expert

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

hbwone:

 

I understand now that you are reading the signal from the 4K DVR box.

 

With my Samsung TV I would have expected the 4K box to show the channel resolution that was either "recorded" or passed through the box to the television. Example: a football game on FOX channel would be (720 x 480) / 60p, a football game on CBS or NBC would be (1920 x 1080) / 60i. Almost all of use would never watch a show down in the channel 100 range since they are only SD (4:3 screen) in only 480p. I don't have the 4K DVR or X1 series cable-box so I cannot test it.

 

But it is quite possible that the DVR blocks the original channel signal (i.e. ... (720 x 480) / 60i ) passing through since it actually recorded a short period and viewed on time delay. That might leave you seeing the signal you set the DVR up to record in.

 

By the way; everyone should realize the best signal you will ever see is the original broadcast. A recorded program can be degraded some by the quality of the equipment recording it. The same said with futher possible degrading at replay time.

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


@ wrote:

hbwone:

 

I understand now that you are reading the signal from the 4K DVR box.

 

With my Samsung TV I would have expected the 4K box to show the channel resolution that was either "recorded" or passed through the box to the television. Example: a football game on FOX channel would be (720 x 480) / 60p, a football game on CBS or NBC would be (1920 x 1080) / 60i. Almost all of use would never watch a show down in the channel 100 range since they are only SD (4:3 screen) in only 480p. I don't have the 4K DVR or X1 series cable-box so I cannot test it.

 

But it is quite possible that the DVR blocks the original channel signal (i.e. ... (720 x 480) / 60i ) passing through since it actually recorded a short period and viewed on time delay. That might leave you seeing the signal you set the DVR up to record in.

 

By the way; everyone should realize the best signal you will ever see is the original broadcast. A recorded program can be degraded some by the quality of the equipment recording it. The same said with futher possible degrading at replay time.


As I previously reported, in my case, the XG1v4 is passing all signals at the resolution you set up in the display resolution choices. If I choose 4K for that resolution, then the signal being sent to my Projector is a 4K signal regardless of what the resolution of the original content was. The original video quality is "upscaled" to 4K so the quality of what you see will vary greatly depending on the original resolution of the content.

 

Regards, SLY
Regular Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


@ wrote:

Has anybody seen any Olympics 4K content On Demand yet? I have my Xg1v4 set with a 4K display setting but I'm not yet seeting any 4K Olympics On Demand listings. I'm also not seeing any UHD options in Netflix either, although I get Netflix 4K on both my Sony X800 4K Bluray as well as my Roku 4. Both of them show a UHD section which doesn't show up on the XG1v4 box.


When I said "show me 4k" into the voice search I got 4k Olympics and my LG OLED had the "HDR" popup come up in the corner which shows it's receiving an HDR signal.

Regular Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


@ wrote:

wrote:

I have received my XG1v4 4K box and have performed some testing to compare the video quality I get from multiple display resolution settings. Following are my findings:

 

  1. If I select one of the 4K settings, the XG1v4 outputs 4K to the TV at all times, regardless of the original content resolution. In other words, the cable box is upscaling everything to 4K regardless of the content... Even for regular 1080p station broadcasts. I know this because my projector has an information screen which shows the resolution of the input it is receiving.
  2. If I select the 1080p or 1080i display setting, the video I receive is significantly better... Better contrast and better clarity. This is because I have the XG1v4 installed in my Home Theater and it is connected to a high-end 4K projector which does an amazing job of 4K upscaling of 1080p content to my 145" screen. In this case, it certainly does a far better job of 4K upscaling than the XG1v4 box does.
  3. If I select one of the 4K settings, Netflix doesn't show the UHD content. Even the Netflix content which should be UHD (like House of Cards, Stranger Things, and etc) shows up as HD 5.1 rather than UHD. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  4. If I select one of the 4K settings, I'm still not seeing any 4K Olympics options in the Olympics On Demand. I don't know if this content has shown up yet so it may not be there for anybody at this point. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  5. As a side item, I was surprised by the fact that all of my DVR recordings showed up on the new unit. Before I replaced my previous DVR, I did the "SYNC" option in the settings. When I installed the new 4K box, all of my recordings are accessible. I assume that everything was synced in the cloud and that is what made this possible.

Based on these findings, until there is native 4K content, it appears that I am better off leaving the display setting at 1080p60 so that my projector can do the upscaling of the 1080p content. I was really hoping that it would output the original resolution for everything... 1080p for 1080p content and 4K for 4K content. This is a huge disappointment as I was looking forward to using this box for broadcast 4K.


Now that I have viewed the Olympics in native 4K resolution, I have one more comment to add to my previous comments:

 

  1. Although my projector is a high end Sony projector (VPL-VW1100ES), it was "pre HDR" so it doesn't support HDR. If my testing is any indication, it appears that the XG1v4 does a very bad job of supporting non-HDR 4K displays. In my case, the 4K Olympics Opening Ceremony is extremely washed out on my projector, which is typically very bright and crisp on 4K content. The same HD version of Opening Ceremony viewed with the 1080p60 setting then upscaled to 4K by my projector is much more crisp and has much better contrast.

The net here is that it appears that, if you don't have a HDR capable 4K TV or Projector, your results may not be what you are expecting. Hopefully others who have non-HDR setups can do their own testing and either confirm or dispute my findings. I hope that there might be future firmware updates to the unit which will do a better job of supporting SDR.

 

The good news is thatk, even though the 4K part isn't working that well for me, it seems to be a little snappier than the previous DVR so I certainly haven't taken a step backwards... Just not as much of a step forward as I was hoping for.

 

 


I was wondering about this with my LG 4k OLED. I have the xg1v4 set to 4k output but was thinking about setting it to 1080p or 1080i and seeing if the tv does a better job upscaling.

Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

I've noticed some of the Olympic 4k programming looks washed out and too bright on my Samsung 4k TV.  Other Olympic programs look decent but not as good as they should be.  Netflix and Youtube look awesome in 4k so it has to be the way Comcast renders the Olympic programming for on-demand viewing. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


wrote:

wrote:

hbwone:

 

I understand now that you are reading the signal from the 4K DVR box.

 

With my Samsung TV I would have expected the 4K box to show the channel resolution that was either "recorded" or passed through the box to the television. Example: a football game on FOX channel would be (720 x 480) / 60p, a football game on CBS or NBC would be (1920 x 1080) / 60i. Almost all of use would never watch a show down in the channel 100 range since they are only SD (4:3 screen) in only 480p. I don't have the 4K DVR or X1 series cable-box so I cannot test it.

 

But it is quite possible that the DVR blocks the original channel signal (i.e. ... (720 x 480) / 60i ) passing through since it actually recorded a short period and viewed on time delay. That might leave you seeing the signal you set the DVR up to record in.

 

By the way; everyone should realize the best signal you will ever see is the original broadcast. A recorded program can be degraded some by the quality of the equipment recording it. The same said with futher possible degrading at replay time.


As I previously reported, in my case, the XG1v4 is passing all signals at the resolution you set up in the display resolution choices. If I choose 4K for that resolution, then the signal being sent to my Projector is a 4K signal regardless of what the resolution of the original content was. The original video quality is "upscaled" to 4K so the quality of what you see will vary greatly depending on the original resolution of the content.

 


On Demand is definitely not recorded in 4k.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

Some of the Olympics on demand is.  It's in 4K HDR and in Atmos as well.  It's definitely quite limited but there is some there.  It does look great, however they are sporting events so not ideal candidates to watch on demand 24 hours after they have occurred and you have to scroll down past their results to get to them in the Xfinity area of the menu screens in some cases (past the medal counts, etc)...

 

With regards to some of the other comments above, my guess is that if you set your box to 1080, it will not pass the 4K signal, but I have not tried this yet with the Olympics on demand offerings or Netflix.  I would prefer if there were a "Native" video setting so that our TV's could do the upscaling however that doesn't seem to be an option with Xfinity like it is with DirecTV?

Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

I have confirmed what slydoggie talked about when viewing Olympic 4k content on pre-hdr tv.  I have a 2015 vizio p-series and the video appears washout.  My 4k Roku does the same thing when i play a 4k hdr video through my HDMI 2.0 port.  I read carefully the requirements for 4k viewing of Olympics and it does say 4k hdr tv.  My Samsung 4k blue ray player does convert the 4k hdr video to 4k sdr perfectly when viewing 4k video files with hdr

 

Expert

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


wrote:

I have confirmed what slydoggie talked about when viewing Olympic 4k content on pre-hdr tv.  I have a 2015 vizio p-series and the video appears washout.  My 4k Roku does the same thing when i play a 4k hdr video through my HDMI 2.0 port.  I read carefully the requirements for 4k viewing of Olympics and it does say 4k hdr tv.  My Samsung 4k blue ray player does convert the 4k hdr video to 4k sdr perfectly when viewing 4k video files with hdr


4k needs HDMI HDCP 2.2  maybe?


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


@ wrote:

I have confirmed what slydoggie talked about when viewing Olympic 4k content on pre-hdr tv.  I have a 2015 vizio p-series and the video appears washout.  My 4k Roku does the same thing when i play a 4k hdr video through my HDMI 2.0 port.  I read carefully the requirements for 4k viewing of Olympics and it does say 4k hdr tv.  My Samsung 4k blue ray player does convert the 4k hdr video to 4k sdr perfectly when viewing 4k video files with hdr

 


Also I did confirm i can play 4k netflix shows thru the xg1v4 box with no problems.  If i change it to one of my none hdmi 2.0 ports then I will only get HD for that show.

Official Employee

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

Also I did confirm i can play 4k netflix shows thru the xg1v4 box with no problems. If i change it to one of my none hdmi 2.0 ports then I will only get HD for that show.
___________
That is true
Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

 wrote:

"On Demand is definitely not recorded in 4k."

 
Not true!  ALL 4k olympic content is only available through on-demand from Comcast.  No live content is being broadcast in 4k through Comcast in my area.

 

My upgraded Samsung TV supports HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and the VP9 and HEVC codecs.  When viewing the Olympics in 4k from Comcast, some of the earlier recorded content remains over exposed or washed out and other content looks fine.  Today's recorded figure skating looks awesome.

 

This leads me to believe it is the manner in which Comcast rendered the recordings to on-demand.  As others have mentioned, Netflix and Youtube look great in 4k-- it's only some of the Comcast recorded material that is not up to par.

 

 

Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


 wrote:

Some of the Olympics on demand is.  It's in 4K HDR and in Atmos as well.  It's definitely quite limited but there is some there.  It does look great, however they are sporting events so not ideal candidates to watch on demand 24 hours after they have occurred and you have to scroll down past their results to get to them in the Xfinity area of the menu screens in some cases (past the medal counts, etc)...

 

With regards to some of the other comments above, my guess is that if you set your box to 1080, it will not pass the 4K signal, but I have not tried this yet with the Olympics on demand offerings or Netflix.  I would prefer if there were a "Native" video setting so that our TV's could do the upscaling however that doesn't seem to be an option with Xfinity like it is with DirecTV?


As you mention, I experimented and set my XG1v4 to 1080p and then tried viewing some of the 4k Olympic content.  The XG1v4 system said I had the incorrect resolution set and offered to reset it to the correct resolution.   

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


wrote:

wrote:

I have confirmed what slydoggie talked about when viewing Olympic 4k content on pre-hdr tv.  I have a 2015 vizio p-series and the video appears washout.  My 4k Roku does the same thing when i play a 4k hdr video through my HDMI 2.0 port.  I read carefully the requirements for 4k viewing of Olympics and it does say 4k hdr tv.  My Samsung 4k blue ray player does convert the 4k hdr video to 4k sdr perfectly when viewing 4k video files with hdr


4k needs HDMI 2.2  maybe?


Actually, you need HDCP 2.2 (not to be confused with HDMI) as that provides the 4K copyright encryption protection. I don't know if you need it for streaming but it is definitely a requirement for 4K Bluray players.

Regards, SLY
Regular Contributor

my 4K review

Just received my 4K STB (DVR, receiver).Hooked very easily and some channels are looking better,and some HD channels actually look worse.For some reason quite a few Channels on Comcast looked washed out,very poor picture quality.A matter of fact even our local channels on Cable looked washed out.Its an easy compare as I can use my indoor antenae to receive my locals and will switch over to OTA for quite a big picture difference.My tv is a Vizio 4k and now receiver is suppossed to upconvert to 4K but not all channels in HD will upconvert enough to make a difference.Even Netflix on Comcast with the 4K box still look terrible,thankfully I use Netflix through the smartapp on my TV and get a legitimate 4K picture(when available).I just want to say if you want a smaller STB the new 4k box  is smaller(but no clock).But not relly worth rushing into getting as you really wont notice a big diiference.And yes I went in 4K device settings and change format to 4K which says best available.Until Comcast quits downgrading signal ,its not worth getting as of now..

Regular Contributor

Re: my 4K review


@andyat1217 wrote:

Just received my 4K STB (DVR, receiver).Hooked very easily and some channels are looking better,and some HD channels actually look worse.For some reason quite a few Channels on Comcast looked washed out,very poor picture quality.A matter of fact even our local channels on Cable looked washed out.Its an easy compare as I can use my indoor antenae to receive my locals and will switch over to OTA for quite a big picture difference.My tv is a Vizio 4k and now receiver is suppossed to upconvert to 4K but not all channels in HD will upconvert enough to make a difference.Even Netflix on Comcast with the 4K box still look terrible,thankfully I use Netflix through the smartapp on my TV and get a legitimate 4K picture(when available).I just want to say if you want a smaller STB the new 4k box  is smaller(but no clock).But not relly worth rushing into getting as you really wont notice a big diiference.And yes I went in 4K device settings and change format to 4K which says best available.Until Comcast quits downgrading signal ,its not worth getting as of now..


I have and LG OLED 4k and the antenna in the attic also gives a better picture than the xg1v4. Even the wife notices...

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

My X1 Gen4 box arrived yesterday and I got it hooked up. I tested 4K display via the Netflix app on X1 and confirmed that it looked OK. I then went searching for 4K Olympics content. I found “Welcome to Pyeongchang” and... nothing else. Started an online chat with an Xfinity rep about the issue, wasted a full hour before he escalated to another agent. That agent understood a little better what I was looking for “Where is the Olympic 4K content?” but another hour with that rep got me nowhere. I still cannot find any replays of anything in 4K. Is there a Comcast employee who can tell me why I have no content?
Official Employee

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

If you use the Voice Command “4K” it will take you right to the page of available assets.
Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

I use a Logitech Harmony remote. I have also tried searching for “4K” but that turns up nothing. Seriously, I keep hearing that the 4K Olympic content exists, but can find nothing but the 3-minute-long Welcome video.
Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

What resolution is your box set to?

Official Employee

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

Try pushing A button and arrow over to System Refresh, other than that there’s no reason not to see the offerings. Can you see them on your secondary box ( you should but it will give you an error code if you try to access).

You’ll see the assets regardless of your display settings
Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

2160P/60 (Best). And I used the high-speed hdmi cable from my UHD player, so I know the cable is good for HDR.
Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


@yamato72 wrote:
2160P/60 (Best). And I used the high-speed hdmi cable from my UHD player, so I know the cable is good for HDR.

Just say "Show me 4k" into your remote.  The Olympic programs should show up immediately.  At least it does for me.

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

I did the refresh and then searched for “4K.” Then I found the 4K content listed. Thank you for the help!
I returned to the Olympic portal and it is still not listed there (which is where the Xfinity 4K Olympics pages told you to look for it). So I hope the Xfinity folks can learn a bit from this experience. It was pretty painful for me but I’m now watching the opening ceremony with the family.
Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


@slydoggie wrote:

I have received my XG1v4 4K box and have performed some testing to compare the video quality I get from multiple display resolution settings. Following are my findings:

 

  1. If I select one of the 4K settings, the XG1v4 outputs 4K to the TV at all times, regardless of the original content resolution. In other words, the cable box is upscaling everything to 4K regardless of the content... Even for regular 1080p station broadcasts. I know this because my projector has an information screen which shows the resolution of the input it is receiving.
  2. If I select the 1080p or 1080i display setting, the video I receive is significantly better... Better contrast and better clarity. This is because I have the XG1v4 installed in my Home Theater and it is connected to a high-end 4K projector which does an amazing job of 4K upscaling of 1080p content to my 145" screen. In this case, it certainly does a far better job of 4K upscaling than the XG1v4 box does.
  3. If I select one of the 4K settings, Netflix doesn't show the UHD content. Even the Netflix content which should be UHD (like House of Cards, Stranger Things, and etc) shows up as HD 5.1 rather than UHD. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  4. If I select one of the 4K settings, I'm still not seeing any 4K Olympics options in the Olympics On Demand. I don't know if this content has shown up yet so it may not be there for anybody at this point. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  5. As a side item, I was surprised by the fact that all of my DVR recordings showed up on the new unit. Before I replaced my previous DVR, I did the "SYNC" option in the settings. When I installed the new 4K box, all of my recordings are accessible. I assume that everything was synced in the cloud and that is what made this possible.

Based on these findings, until there is native 4K content, it appears that I am better off leaving the display setting at 1080p60 so that my projector can do the upscaling of the 1080p content. I was really hoping that it would output the original resolution for everything... 1080p for 1080p content and 4K for 4K content. This is a huge disappointment as I was looking forward to using this box for broadcast 4K.


I can confirm these findings on my B6 OLED. I set up the box on Monday and naturally set it to the highest resolution setting. Directly connected to the TV. Couldn't really tell a difference in image quality since I personally don't watch a lot of cable TV. However, true to my nature, I did some 720p vs 1080i testing this morning by comparing AMC (CH 171) and NBCSN (CH 174) and trying various settings on the XG1v4 (assuming these two channels are 720p and 1080i, respectively).

 

Set to 2160p60 - Image noticeably flat and dull; lacking color, contrast, brightness and sharpness.

 

Set to 720p - Image noticeably better; improved color and contrast, slightly improved brightness, and sharpness seemed more or less the same.

 

Set to 1080i - Same as above, except color and contrast seems slightly worse.

 

Set to 1080p60 - Everything clearly improved; color, contrast, brightness and sharpness. Very obvious 'day and night' difference.

 

So it appears that the XG1v4 is optimized for 1080p. The upscaler doesn't do nearly as good a job as the TV's.

 

I made a separate thread about this, but the solution to this would have been a native resolution setting. Because reading through this thread I just learned that the Olympics are in 4K. I just tried watching it with the box set to 1080p60 and I got a notification saying I need to set it to 4K. I guess it's not a big deal, but still.

Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


@a5m wrote:

@slydoggie wrote:

I have received my XG1v4 4K box and have performed some testing to compare the video quality I get from multiple display resolution settings. Following are my findings:

 

  1. If I select one of the 4K settings, the XG1v4 outputs 4K to the TV at all times, regardless of the original content resolution. In other words, the cable box is upscaling everything to 4K regardless of the content... Even for regular 1080p station broadcasts. I know this because my projector has an information screen which shows the resolution of the input it is receiving.
  2. If I select the 1080p or 1080i display setting, the video I receive is significantly better... Better contrast and better clarity. This is because I have the XG1v4 installed in my Home Theater and it is connected to a high-end 4K projector which does an amazing job of 4K upscaling of 1080p content to my 145" screen. In this case, it certainly does a far better job of 4K upscaling than the XG1v4 box does.
  3. If I select one of the 4K settings, Netflix doesn't show the UHD content. Even the Netflix content which should be UHD (like House of Cards, Stranger Things, and etc) shows up as HD 5.1 rather than UHD. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  4. If I select one of the 4K settings, I'm still not seeing any 4K Olympics options in the Olympics On Demand. I don't know if this content has shown up yet so it may not be there for anybody at this point. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  5. As a side item, I was surprised by the fact that all of my DVR recordings showed up on the new unit. Before I replaced my previous DVR, I did the "SYNC" option in the settings. When I installed the new 4K box, all of my recordings are accessible. I assume that everything was synced in the cloud and that is what made this possible.

Based on these findings, until there is native 4K content, it appears that I am better off leaving the display setting at 1080p60 so that my projector can do the upscaling of the 1080p content. I was really hoping that it would output the original resolution for everything... 1080p for 1080p content and 4K for 4K content. This is a huge disappointment as I was looking forward to using this box for broadcast 4K.


I can confirm these findings on my B6 OLED. I set up the box a couple days ago on Monday and naturally set it to the highest resolution setting. Directly connected to the TV. Couldn't really tell a difference in image quality since I personally don't watch a lot of cable TV. However, true to my nature, I did some 720p vs 1080i testing this morning by comparing AMC (Ch 171) and NBCSN (174) and trying various settings on the XG1v4.

 

Set to 2160p60 - Image noticeably flat and dull; lacking color, contrast, brightness and sharpness.

 

Set to 720p - Image noticeably better; improved color and contrast, slightly improved brightness, and sharpness seemed more or less the same.

 

Set to 1080i - Same as above, except color and contrast seems slightly worse.

 

Set to 1080p60 - Everything clearly improved; color, contrast, brightness and sharpness. Very obvious 'day and night' difference.

 

So it appears that the XG1v4 is optimized for 1080p. The upscaler doesn't do nearly as good a job as the TV's.

 

I made a separate thread about this, but the solution to this would have been a native resolution setting. Because reading through this thread I just learned that the Olympics are in 4K. I just tried watching it with the box set to 1080p60 and I got a notification saying I need to set it to 4K. I guess it's not a big deal, but still.


Did you enable Deep/UHD Color when testing 2160?

Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


@Cydeweyz wrote:

@a5m wrote:

@slydoggie wrote:

I have received my XG1v4 4K box and have performed some testing to compare the video quality I get from multiple display resolution settings. Following are my findings:

 

  1. If I select one of the 4K settings, the XG1v4 outputs 4K to the TV at all times, regardless of the original content resolution. In other words, the cable box is upscaling everything to 4K regardless of the content... Even for regular 1080p station broadcasts. I know this because my projector has an information screen which shows the resolution of the input it is receiving.
  2. If I select the 1080p or 1080i display setting, the video I receive is significantly better... Better contrast and better clarity. This is because I have the XG1v4 installed in my Home Theater and it is connected to a high-end 4K projector which does an amazing job of 4K upscaling of 1080p content to my 145" screen. In this case, it certainly does a far better job of 4K upscaling than the XG1v4 box does.
  3. If I select one of the 4K settings, Netflix doesn't show the UHD content. Even the Netflix content which should be UHD (like House of Cards, Stranger Things, and etc) shows up as HD 5.1 rather than UHD. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  4. If I select one of the 4K settings, I'm still not seeing any 4K Olympics options in the Olympics On Demand. I don't know if this content has shown up yet so it may not be there for anybody at this point. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  5. As a side item, I was surprised by the fact that all of my DVR recordings showed up on the new unit. Before I replaced my previous DVR, I did the "SYNC" option in the settings. When I installed the new 4K box, all of my recordings are accessible. I assume that everything was synced in the cloud and that is what made this possible.

Based on these findings, until there is native 4K content, it appears that I am better off leaving the display setting at 1080p60 so that my projector can do the upscaling of the 1080p content. I was really hoping that it would output the original resolution for everything... 1080p for 1080p content and 4K for 4K content. This is a huge disappointment as I was looking forward to using this box for broadcast 4K.


I can confirm these findings on my B6 OLED. I set up the box a couple days ago on Monday and naturally set it to the highest resolution setting. Directly connected to the TV. Couldn't really tell a difference in image quality since I personally don't watch a lot of cable TV. However, true to my nature, I did some 720p vs 1080i testing this morning by comparing AMC (Ch 171) and NBCSN (174) and trying various settings on the XG1v4.

 

Set to 2160p60 - Image noticeably flat and dull; lacking color, contrast, brightness and sharpness.

 

Set to 720p - Image noticeably better; improved color and contrast, slightly improved brightness, and sharpness seemed more or less the same.

 

Set to 1080i - Same as above, except color and contrast seems slightly worse.

 

Set to 1080p60 - Everything clearly improved; color, contrast, brightness and sharpness. Very obvious 'day and night' difference.

 

So it appears that the XG1v4 is optimized for 1080p. The upscaler doesn't do nearly as good a job as the TV's.

 

I made a separate thread about this, but the solution to this would have been a native resolution setting. Because reading through this thread I just learned that the Olympics are in 4K. I just tried watching it with the box set to 1080p60 and I got a notification saying I need to set it to 4K. I guess it's not a big deal, but still.


Did you enable Deep/UHD Color when testing 2160?


Yes, you are referring to the HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color setting and it is On.

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

Where is the HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color setting found?

Expert

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


@ggibson864 wrote:

Where is the HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color setting found?


He might be referring to a setting found on his model of LG tv.

 

The settings go by different names depending on the brand of UHD tv. You should also be aware that people with lower priced 60 Hz UHD televisions cannot get a 4k 60p signal.

It requires a upper tier 120 Hz UHD televisions. Most of the posters here having good success for 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos probably have a higher end 120 Hz UHD televisions.

Official Employee

Re: my 4K review

Hi andyat1217. We're sorry you were disappointed with the new DVR. Sounds like you have already troubleshooted a few things to try and improve the quality. I can assist with scheduling a technician visit to come out and confirm everything is operating/connected as it should be. I personally have the XG1v4 on my 4K UHD set at home, and the quality is phenomenal. If you'd like the additional assistance, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you. 

Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


@ggibson864 wrote:

Where is the HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color setting found?


Like someone has already pointed out, this is a setting on my B6 OLED TV.

Regular Visitor

Re: my 4K review

Of course.  You're comparing an over-the-air non-compressed image to a greatly compressed image.  OTA images will probably always look better.

Contributor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box


@MNtundraRET wrote:

@ggibson864 wrote:

Where is the HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color setting found?


He might be referring to a setting found on his model of LG tv.

 

The settings go by different names depending on the brand of UHD tv. You should also be aware that people with lower priced 60 Hz UHD televisions cannot get a 4k 60p signal.

It requires a upper tier 120 Hz UHD televisions. Most of the posters here having good success for 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos probably have a higher end 120 Hz UHD televisions.


60p and 60Hz are two different things. A 4K 60hz TV can get a 4K 60p signal, it doesn't require 120Hz. That's irrelevant anyway as 120Hz mainly helps to reduce motion blur or judder.

 

4K HDR and Dolby Atmos is a whole different thing. Just to update - I watched the Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony in 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos on On Demand last night. TV went into HDR Mode and it looked great.

Regular Visitor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

I've got the XG1 DVR currently and just ordered the XG1v4 box moments ago.  We'll see how it goes.  Currently I have a Sony XBR65X850D 4K TV.  I run it on the 1080i setting and let the TV do the rest.  It seems like it helps with the judder and blur.  I've got all upgraded coaxial and HDMI cables in my set up, but I don't know what's outside.  It's only a 3 year old subdivision, but I've never had signal issues thus far.  I'm a Sony snob.  All my AV is Sony.  Not for any good reason...just used to it and comfortable with it.  Anyone with a similar Sony TV with the new 4K box, I'd love some feedback.

New Poster

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

New Poster

Re: XG1v4 TV Box XR!! & XR15 remotes

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

Xfinity has been re-encoding every channel to 720P for quite a while. With my last X1 box, I left it’s output at 720P to prevent another resizing/resampling step from occurring before it reached the TV. Now that I have the gen 4 I have left it at 2160P/60 and the HD channels are passable quality. In the short time I’ve had this box I’ve wondered if they have since started letting 1080i signals through unmolested.

(This was in response to the recent post about the video processor up scaling to 4K better than the X1. Sorry, haven’t figured out how to quote a post)