Community Forum

Xfinity X1 remote code for Vizio soundbar

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity X1 remote code for Vizio soundbar

Are there (or will there ever be) Comcast Xfinity X1 (U2) remote codes for Vizio soundbars? I just upgraded from old Comcast Cisco boxes with silver remotes which could use EFC codes to control my Vizio soundbar. For now, I'm stuck with an upgraded system which doesn't have a feature that the previous version did. This isn't exactly progress.

If anyone has a solution to the problem, it would be greatly appreciated. And please don't tell me to buy a Logitech Harmony remote, that is NOT a solution to Comcast's problem.
Tags (4)
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity X1 remote code for Vizio soundbar

It's not Comcast's problem, it's yours. And if you aren't open to buying a better remote you are SOL.

What you are missing here is a remote like a Harmony 650 is not only a solution it's an improvement. The XR2 is a poorly designed remote and complaining in a forum such as this one won't change that.

KatyEngr wrote:
Are there (or will there ever be) Comcast Xfinity X1 (U2) remote codes for Vizio soundbars? I just upgraded from old Comcast Cisco boxes with silver remotes which could use EFC codes to control my Vizio soundbar. For now, I'm stuck with an upgraded system which doesn't have a feature that the previous version did. This isn't exactly progress.

If anyone has a solution to the problem, it would be greatly appreciated. And please don't tell me to buy a Logitech Harmony remote, that is NOT a solution to Comcast's problem.

Frequent Visitor

If it's my problem, then it should also be Comcast's problem.

My hope in saying that I didn't want to hear another post about the Logitech Harmony remote was that a Comcast employee would see this and give some indication whether they knew if it would be fixed. If Comcast sees enough feedback from customer demanding a new (but actually old feature) be incorporated into their product then maybe they'll take action. That's the way that product support and product development is supposed to work.

I don't need another post from a Logitech salesman telling me that I should buy something else so please stop.

I want an answer from someone in Comcast support. Please!
Valued Contributor

KatyEngr wrote:
I want an answer from someone in Comcast support. Please!

Good luck with that!  I too was infuriated when I discovered that the XR2 remote that came with my X1 DVR could no longer control my Sony SACD/DVD Receiver.  I went so far as to get the latest version of the XR2 and even purchased an XR5 in hopes that they included the code needed to control my system.  They didn't!  The bottom line is that when I got sick and tired of members pushing the Logitec Harmony 650 remote as a  solution, I finally gave in and purchased one.

It was a pleasant surprise.  Not only did it allow me to control my receiver, it allowed me to setup "Activites" such as "Watch TV", "Watch a BD", "Listen to Music", "Watch Apple TV" and "Watch Google TV".  Setup is as eacy as going on-line with the 650 connected to you PC or laptop via a USB port.  It rendered my Sony AV-RM3000 and AV-RM3100 obsolete and is far, far easier to setup.  It also automatically selects the correct inputs on your TV and receiver.

Frequent Visitor

Please! No more "help" from Logitech salesmen. If Comcast is unwilling or unable to provide a solution, I can use a separate remote for my soundbar. I only want to hear from a Comcast employee on this issue.
Gold Problem Solver

Paaaalease!!! We know far more than any Comcast employee on this issue...

I am not a Harmony salesman. However I now own a nice selection 8 various Harmony remotes and one URC remote. But I make my living designing, selling and installing high end audio video systems. My company differentiates ourselves by designing solutions that are easy to use and foolproof to control. The X1/XR2 misses that goal so badly that the only solution is a well programmed universal remote. I don't care which brand. Harmony. URC. RTI. Pro Control. I don't care.

Until you have used a properly programmed universal remote you simply don't know how much easier your life can be................

KatyEngr wrote:
Please! No more "help" from Logitech salesmen. If Comcast is unwilling or unable to provide a solution, I can use a separate remote for my soundbar. I only want to hear from a Comcast employee on this issue.

Bronze Problem Solver

To add a little fuel to the fire and help stir things up a bit...

http://www.wirelessoemshop.com/servlet/the-1427/Logitech-Harmony-650-Advanced/Detail?gclid=COf-uJWJv...

Regular Contributor

I also have a harmony 650 remote and just got my X1 box installed yesterday. I have to say the harmony remote does do a much better job then the x1 remote even if you used it only to control the X1. Not sure if you have ever used a harmony remote, if not think about it, they are very nice and the 650 is pretty cheap these days. Mine controls my tv, vizio soundbar, ps3, and X1. Yes I may sound like a Logitech salesperson too but I'm just a satisfied user.
Contributor

I have a vizio soundbar, and the x1 remote controls the volume, although only the volume. I program the same code as for my vizio TV, which, incidentally also controls the LG TV hooked up to the sound bar.
Silver Problem Solver

caryrae73 wrote:
I also have a harmony 650 remote and just got my X1 box installed yesterday. I have to say the harmony remote does do a much better job then the x1 remote even if you used it only to control the X1. Not sure if you have ever used a harmony remote, if not think about it, they are very nice and the 650 is pretty cheap these days. Mine controls my tv, vizio soundbar, ps3, and X1. Yes I may sound like a Logitech salesperson too but I'm just a satisfied usPer.

PS/3?  Don't you need some additional hardware to control a PS/3 with a 650?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Yeah you do a logitech ps3 adapter I think it's called.
Frequent Visitor

This question has officially been hijacked by Logitech Harmony 650 owners/salesmen despite my plea in my question.
Bronze Problem Solver

KatyEngr wrote:
This question has officially been hijacked by Logitech Harmony 650 owners/salesmen despite my plea in my question.

I think it would be more accurate to say it's been "unofficially" hijacked.

Frequent Visitor

It was my question so no one has answered the question, only told me about a product that I don't want. It's official because I say so.
Bronze Problem Solver

I think a review of the answers to similar questions regarding Vizio sounds bars on the forum will tell you that getting them to work with the XR2 remote is questionable.  No one is in a position to tell you if that will ever change.

All the answers you've received here from other forum members were just attempts to be helpful.

Frequent Visitor

I could have read all about the Harmony remotes on the other threads too. I wanted to keep this discussion strictly on the comcast remote. While I appreciate that everyone wanted to help me, it was not the help that I asked for.
Gold Problem Solver

People who are not only trying to be helpful but people who have a vast amount of experience with making audio video systems easier to control and operate...

manamok wrote:

I think a review of the answers to similar questions regarding Vizio sounds bars on the forum will tell you that getting them to work with the XR2 remote is questionable.  No one is in a position to tell you if that will ever change.

All the answers you've received here from other forum members were just attempts to be helpful.

Frequent Visitor

You may all be geniuses when it comes to audio and video systems, but you apparently don't know how to read English.
Bronze Problem Solver

KatyEngr wrote:
You may all be geniuses when it comes to audio and video systems, but you apparently don't know how to read English.

I can read your version of English well enough to know l"ll steer clear of any future threads of yours.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you. Is there any way that you can delete your previous posts to this question also?
Valued Contributor

I just requested a Comcast person to address your concerns regarding the XR2 remote.  Hopefully, you will be satisfied with his response.

Official Employee

Are there codes for vizio soundbars? Not yet. Will there ever be? Never say never but if it's not out now chances are pretty good it won't be. I can't speak for the poster above who said he got one to work, maybe he'll share the code with you. It seems the secondary codes are more for receivers and I think Sony soundbars. I have an RCA soundbar and the code doesn't work. As much as you don't want to hear it but the Logitech is really the way to go.

If you want try some of these secondary codes for audio equipment and maybe one will work. Good luck

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/xr2-xfinity-tv-remote/#Devices_work_w_XR2

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/remotes/Setup_Codes_for_Audio_Device...

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

I'm curious which Vizio TV code that you used. I tried using 11756, 11758, 10864 and 10885 without any luck.
New Poster

Katy,  I understand your frustation and am currently faced with the same dilemma.  Didn't want the posters' attacks to make you think your request is unreasonable..  Good luck to both of us.

Frequent Visitor

I just discovered a code that worked, almost by accident. Hold the Setup key till the blinks, then use code 10178. I can't speak for all the functions, but I can adjust volume, and mute. Now if this remote just had an input key for the tv, but 2 remotes is better than 3 I suppose.

Frequent Visitor

I tried 10178, but that doesn't seem to control the Vizio Soundbar. The volume buttons are still controlling the LG TV volume.
New Poster

Thank  you so much.. that code worked for me.

New Poster

For what it's worth, I've owned 5 Logitech Harmony remotes in recent years.  I've hated all of them. 

Only two were purchased - the other two were free replacements sent by Logitech when the original ones crapped out.

I will say that the 650 I have now is better than the rechargable one from a few years ago (can't remember model #) but it still leaves much to be desired.  I would actually prefer to use my Xfinity XR2 remote, and here's the main reason:  The Xfinity X1 platform is based on (what Comcast calls) a "robust" search function.  Rather than fumbling through their ldiotic menu system, you are able to just begin typing for what you want.  You'll be provided with results, whether it's on live TV, your DVR or on-demand.  You enter text using the numerical remote buttons, which have letters printed underneath.  But on the Harmony 650, the letters are barely visible.  I find this very annoying.

Additionally - The 650 is hard to program, irritatingly slow on macros, and it eats batteries due to the unecessary color LCD screen.  Logitech has tried to moron-proof the programming process, and it requires a My Harmony account, which makes everything even more convoluted and confusing.  Like every other Harmony remote I've ever held, it feels cheap and something inside rattles.  But they're usually better than the junk that comes with your cable box, and I'm able to program lights, my fireplace, etc. 

I just wish someone would make a decent universal remote.

Gold Problem Solver

nutshanging wrote:

For what it's worth, I've owned 5 Logitech Harmony remotes in recent years.  I've hated all of them. Then learn how to program them properly.

Only two were purchased - the other two were free replacements sent by Logitech when the original ones crapped out. I have dealt with hundreds of Harmony remotes and I have had two or three "crapped out" on me which is below the industry norm for Asian made consumer electronics.

I will say that the 650 I have now is better than the rechargable one from a few years ago (can't remember model #) but it still leaves much to be desired.  I would actually prefer to use my Xfinity XR2 remote, and here's the main reason:  The Xfinity X1 platform is based on (what Comcast calls) a "robust" search function.  Rather than fumbling through their ldiotic menu system, you are able to just begin typing for what you want.  You'll be provided with results, whether it's on live TV, your DVR or on-demand. Talk to Comcast about this.  You enter text using the numerical remote buttons, which have letters printed underneath.  But on the Harmony 650, the letters are barely visible. Agreed but the 650 is not intended to be a top of the line remote. There are better options at higher costs. The Harmony 900 and Harmony One have much better backlighting.  I find this very annoying.

Additionally - The 650 is hard to program, for some but you would be in the minority irritatingly slow on macros, maybe but they are trying to make sure there is clear communication and this can be tweaked in the software and it eats batteries due the 650 is a little hard on batteries but it's far from a dealbreaker. to the unecessary color LCD screen.  Logitech has tried to moron-proof the programming process, and it requires a My Harmony account, which makes everything even more convoluted and confusing for some people but not for all. I have no problem with it.  Like every other Harmony remote I've ever held, it feels cheap and something inside rattles the "rattle" is the tilt or motion sensor.  But they're usually better than the junk that comes with your cable box, and I'm able to program lights, my fireplace, etc. What's your real agenda here???

I just wish someone would make a decent universal remote. Of course better remotes exist. My URC MX-780 is a better remote than my Harmony remotes. It sends macros faster and has a more solid feel to it. But I don't like the button layout nearly as much.

How much are you willing to spend big talker???

New Poster

This set of instructions worked for me: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/remote-code-for-vizio-soundbar-VSB200/td-p/8988... Scroll down to the post by user "rmras" on 11-18-2011.

You program each individual function using a different 3-digit code.

Frequent Visitor

That only works for the old style silver remotes. I used that and it also worked for me. But now I'm looking for a way to use the new black X1 remote with a Vizio soundbar. These instructions won't work for x1 remotes.
Frequent Visitor

10178 worked for my vizio sound bar, but it replaced my samsung tv power on/off. Seems you can't have both, so pick one.

New Poster

I happen to be a comcast employee and I was having the same issue, I googled it and I found this post. Any ways try following the set up process with the remote, hold the setup until the light turns green and then enter a code from the site while you aim the remote at your sound bar... https://answers.vizio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200596600-Sound-Bar-remote-codes . It worked for my sound bar that I bought yesterday and hopefully it works for you!
Contributor

KatyEngr,

The XR2 & XR5 remotes only have the option for 1 additional device, unlike the silver remote which had the option for 2 additional devices. There are no plans that I am aware of that this will change in the future, but we never say never....  The next generation remote just may have the 2 additional device capability again. We do appreciate your comments in the forum.

ComcastLinda

Frequent Visitor

I have to say that I am disappointed --actually, angry is the word -- that this X1 service that is supposed to be so sophisticated comes with a remote that is inferior to the remote that comes with the basic cable service. At least with that remote, I could with some effort program a sound bar, an increasingly common setup -- especially for TVs with mediocre speakers. It is bad enough that the Comcast codes list does not include a code for Vizio sound bars, even though my neighborhood Costco sells truckloads of them. Please, with the $150-$200 a month that many of us pay for cable and broadband service, please supply us with remotes that are actually usable for the way we watch TV, and take the time to add to your code list the brands that people buy.
Gold Problem Solver

Then use the old remote with X1. It will work...

The XR2 remote sucks. You can't change it any time soon. So you can either focus your time and energy on complaining or finding a solution that improves your situation... It's your choice.

DCProud wrote:
I have to say that I am disappointed --actually, angry is the word -- that this X1 service that is supposed to be so sophisticated comes with a remote that is inferior to the remote that comes with the basic cable service. At least with that remote, I could with some effort program a sound bar, an increasingly common setup -- especially for TVs with mediocre speakers. It is bad enough that the Comcast codes list does not include a code for Vizio sound bars, even though my neighborhood Costco sells truckloads of them. Please, with the $150-$200 a month that many of us pay for cable and broadband service, please supply us with remotes that are actually usable for the way we watch TV, and take the time to add to your code list the brands that people buy.

Regular Visitor

10178 also worked for me. I have the Vizio S4251w-B4 soundbar
New Poster

Get the X5 remote and use 

31937 - worked for me.
Others to try