Community Forum

Xfinity X1 Parental Control PIN circumvented using voice command "Parental"

New Poster

Xfinity X1 Parental Control PIN circumvented using voice command "Parental"

My 11-year-old demonstrated that he can circumvent the Parental Controls without knowing the PIN by using the Voice command control on the X1 Remote. I caught him this morning watching Dead Pool and asked him how he was able to get around the Parental Control PIN so he did a quick demo for my benefit (how lucky).

1. Say "Parental" into the X1 remote voice command microphone while pressing the microphone button. (Note: Saying "Parental Controls" does not circumvent the PIN. You have to say "Parental".)

2. A list of Parental Control options is displayed.

3. Select "Parental Control PIN".  Press "OK" to select Off. (No PIN is required to turn off the parental control pin using this method.) I also noticed that "Reset Parental Controls" was also an option provided in response to the voice command "Parental".

4. Access locked Parental Controlled content.

Security? What Security? Does anyone QA this stuff at Comcast. (Sad trombone playing in the background)

Highlighted
Administrator

Re: Xfinity X1 Parental Control PIN circumvented using voice command "Parental"

@rocket01887

Thank you for posting your concerns in the Xfinity Forum. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We appreciate you reporting this issue to us. We have made the engineering team aware and have confirmation from then that they are actively working to resolve this issue and it should be fixed soon.

Thanks again!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks @!  It would be good if you could leave this thread open until the issue is fixed. Not sure if this will require a client or server-side update but it would be nice to know when the issue is confirmed fixed and if this is a client-side X1 fix, confirm the software version that the issue has been fixed in. I realize new software updates are pushed out nightly but it would be also helpful to also provide details on how the check the firmware version on the X1 device. I believe the way to check the software version is as follows.

1: to check the Version press the Xfinity button, go to the settings and go to about.

New Poster

Issue seems to resolved now. Looks like it was a server side update.