Community Forum

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Contributor

Re: X1 4k box

@Mauilarry wrote:

I installed the new X1 4k box and replaced the regular X1 box. The sound immediately deteriorated and got much lower. I have a Samsung 4k TV with Samsung 3.1 soundbar connected via optical cable to the Samsung Hub. Volume is good with Amazon Prime Video, YouTube or any other internet based video. The Comcast / Xfinity feeds need to be turned way up to hear. Is this a box issue that Comcast is having?

I had the same issue with my Samsung 8.1 soundbar until I went into the soundbars "Sound Effect" menu and changed it from "Cinema" to "Smart Volume".  To get the best sound quality you need to use the HDMI Arc connection from your 4K TV to your soundbar.  The optical (Toslink) is old technology so if at all possible try using the HDMI Arc connections.  

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity XG1v4 TV Box

Hello, all!

If you would like to receive an X1 4K DVR box - please send me a private message (don't post your private information publicly) with your full name, address, and a phone or account number. In order to send me a private message click on my name ComcastElla, then click Private Message Me

If a private messaging feature is missing - please post a reply in this thread (Hi, posting to enable PM feature) and you should get an access to private messages. 

Please keep in mind:

- There is no additional charge for 4K DVR. However, there is a charge for a DVR service, so if you currently don't have a DVR service and would like to receive a 4K DVR box - we will need to add this charge to your account. We discuss billing information (including rates and prorated charges) only in private messages.

- You will need to return your current DVR box back to us as soon as possible. Otherwise, you will get an additional DVR cable box charge. You can do it at any UPS location or XFINITY stores.

Thank you

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Is this all we need to request a self install kit? I would love the new box

Contributor

@AccessDMA wrote:

Is this all we need to request a self install kit? I would love the new box

Yes, just follow the instructions above your post.

Frequent Visitor

I just converted from a TiVo Bolt to X1 to get better IPad streaming. I went to my local store to get an XG1v4 and was told they were not available but I could use the XG1v3 and receive Netflix in 4K with my 4K TV with the X1 box. I just had to set the resolution. Doesn’t work. It did on the Bolt. I called into Xfinity they also said XG1v4 not available.  If they are not available I will have to go back to TiVo.

Official Employee

@ffitzgerald39 - My apologies for the miscommunication. If you have a premium Netflix subscription that allows you to watch a 4K content and you use the Netflix app on our XFINITY cable box - you have to have an X1 4K DVR box to view the 4K content. If you would like to get one, please send me a private message with your full name, address, and a phone or account number. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

The current implementation of ARC, with current generation TVs, only support 2-channel PCM or 5.1 lossless (always Dolby Digital but could also be be DTS), same as Toslink.
There certainly *could* be a hardware or cable issue with your Toslink connection, but the audio signal would be the same over Toslink or ARC via HDMI.
Expert

@yamato72 wrote:
The current implementation of ARC, with current generation TVs, only support 2-channel PCM or 5.1 lossless (always Dolby Digital but could also be be DTS), same as Toslink.
There certainly *could* be a hardware or cable issue with your Toslink connection, but the audio signal would be the same over Toslink or ARC via HDMI.

currently if the set top box is an xg1v4 and all of the upstream to the TV and back to receiver is hdcp 2.2 then dolby Atmos etc that can not be delivered on toslink as well as HDR. We so far do not have a Comcast employee available to the boards that know all the 'insides' and codecs and specs of the xg1v4.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Regarding the location of (or supposed lack of) an IR receiver on the gen4 box, it is there, bottom right as you are looking at the front of the box. It is sandwiched in the slot between the faceplate and the bottom so the vertical angle from which you can point an IR remote is pretty terrible.
I use a Harmony hub which was on a table across the room from my TV and surely blasted the whole wall since it had no trouble controlling the TV, AVR, AppleTV, BD player, and Xfinity gen3 box. Switched to the Gen4 box and it would not play nice (yes I disabled RF mode first). The only way to get the Gen4 box to respond to an IR remote was from the floor, basically 0* vertical angle to the box. Even putting the Harmony hub on the floor wouldn’t work.
Suffice to say, they really want you to use only the voice remote, to the detriment of us with more than a TV, sound bar, and cable box in our living rooms.
I finally got my Harmony hub to work by putting it on the shelf with my gear and adding an IR mini blaster routed up by the bottom of the TV. Again every component on the shelf was fine with the Harmony hub placement except for the Xfinity box. By pushing the hub out past the edge of the shelf, sliding the Gen4 box back a couple inches (and perching it up on top of 2 other components), AND increasing the “repeat time” on the hub (how many times it blasts the signal when a button is pressed on the Harmony remote), it began to work pretty reliably.
Honestly, this should not be this hard.
0204EB9E-1A2C-49EC-B14A-5E8490F164F8.jpeg
Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity 4k receiver

Hi, posting to enable PM feature

Hokey777
Regular Visitor

Re: Ordering 4K XG4 box

I am also interested in the XG4 box. I was wondering why I was unable to see my 4k Netflix options. Thanks

New Poster

having tons of issues with my old X1 box...called customer support and they said i could pick up this box at my local store. of course when i get to the store they say i have to order it online.

can someone please ship me out a box?

New Poster

i can't seem to private message you to order the box? thanks!

New Poster

Re: Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Hello, I was trying to inquire about the XG1v4 boxes, but I also do not have access to PM in my profile.  Could someone please message me regarding both of these?

Expert

after making at least one post, you can then PM.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I had my existing receiver go out the other day walked into my Xfinity store and said I need a new receiver. Lady asks "Do you need the clock on the front?" then i started to get excited and said no. She brought me out a XG1v4a 4K receiver. 

Market: South Florida

New Poster

Do I need a 4k box?

I have a 65" LG OLED tv.  Do I really need a 4k box from Comcast?  Thanks!

Tabby

New Poster

Hi. I'd like to order one of these boxes.

Please PM me to let me know how to do that.

Thanks,

Dave Salvator

Contributor

@Dave-Salvator wrote:

Hi. I'd like to order one of these boxes.

Please PM me to let me know how to do that.

Thanks,

Dave Salvator

Please follow the instructions previously posted by ComcastElla under "Best Answer"

Expert

Re: Do I need a 4k box?

Right now the only 4K available using the DVR is Netflix (you pay extra for Neflix & 4K Netflix) and around 100 hours still available from 4K from Winter Olympics.

If you already have high-speed Internet from anyone, you can use the built-in apps found on your television. There are thousands of hours of 4K, 4K / HDR, and 8K /HDR, that are free on You Tube (You Tube Red 4K additional cost). You can also get Netflix 4K using the Netflix app on your tv.

Frequent Visitor

I use a Home Theater RF remote with the X1 and have my RF to IR repeater cable over the input and it works great. I don't have voice control but have never used that anyway.

Regards, SLY
Admin1

Re: Ordering 4K XG4 box

Hi Sean008 -- I can help with getting you a 4K box. Please send me a PM with your name, full service address, and either phone number or account number for authentication. I will have a box shipped to you.

Click my name (ComcastZach) and click Private Message Me. 

Expert

@yamato72 wrote:
Regarding the location of (or supposed lack of) an IR receiver on the gen4 box, it is there, bottom right as you are looking at the front of the box. It is sandwiched in the slot between the faceplate and the bottom so the vertical angle from which you can point an IR remote is pretty terrible.
I use a Harmony hub which was on a table across the room from my TV and surely blasted the whole wall since it had no trouble controlling the TV, AVR, AppleTV, BD player, and Xfinity gen3 box. Switched to the Gen4 box and it would not play nice (yes I disabled RF mode first). The only way to get the Gen4 box to respond to an IR remote was from the floor, basically 0* vertical angle to the box. Even putting the Harmony hub on the floor wouldn’t work.
Suffice to say, they really want you to use only the voice remote, to the detriment of us with more than a TV, sound bar, and cable box in our living rooms.
I finally got my Harmony hub to work by putting it on the shelf with my gear and adding an IR mini blaster routed up by the bottom of the TV. Again every component on the shelf was fine with the Harmony hub placement except for the Xfinity box. By pushing the hub out past the edge of the shelf, sliding the Gen4 box back a couple inches (and perching it up on top of 2 other components), AND increasing the “repeat time” on the hub (how many times it blasts the signal when a button is pressed on the Harmony remote), it began to work pretty reliably.
Honestly, this should not be this hard.

Having the X1 cable-box sitting right on the top of your PS4 box may not be advisable. The X1 boxes get very hot if not properly ventilated. You may end up frying the PS4 box.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Ordering 4K Xfinity XG1v4 TV Box

I've read the thread and I realize I need to PM one of the Comcast folks who monitor this thread. However, for some reason, I am unable to PM. I do want to order a 4K Xfinity XG1v4 TV Box. Can one of the helpful Comcast folks please reply and assist on how I can provide the information needed? Thanks.

Problem Solver

I would like a 4k box but would like to talk about my options like DVR service I don't have that do I need it?

Contributor

Re: Ordering 4K Xfinity XG1v4 TV Box

@paolodeluna wrote:

I've read the thread and I realize I need to PM one of the Comcast folks who monitor this thread. However, for some reason, I am unable to PM. I do want to order a 4K Xfinity XG1v4 TV Box. Can one of the helpful Comcast folks please reply and assist on how I can provide the information needed? Thanks.

Since you just posted your first message you can now PM ComcastElla or ComcastZach for obtaining your set-top box.  You have to post at least one message before the PM feature is available.

Contributor

@Pharrell wrote:

I would like a 4k box but would like to talk about my options like DVR service I don't have that do I need it?

Since the XG1v4 is a DVR set-top box I'm assuming you're going to have to upgrade to DVR service in order to use the box. 

Problem Solver

okay thanks HBO is the DVR service still 15 dollars? I've lost count how much it is over the years.

please let me know how much DVR service is so I can ponder my finances.

Expert

FYI, I was able to request the 4k box by going to Comcast Chat Support, and placing my order there. 

I got the box via UPS the next day.  Cat Very Happy

Expert

HD box is 9.95/month a DVR HD box (or 4k) is 19.95/month.

Expert

Can anyone here who has had sucess viewing the 4K Olympics, let me know which Xfinity Internet service they are paying for, or which one did the Comcast rep. recommend to you.

Thank you.

Expert

@MNtundraRET wrote:

Can anyone here who has had sucess viewing the 4K Olympics, let me know which Xfinity Internet service they are paying for, or which one did the Comcast rep. recommend to you.

Thank you.

the internet is not used for 4k of the Olympics. The on-demand was sent by internal servers over Comcast's own internet and did not use a customer's modem at all.

Expert

@Rustyben wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

Thank you.

the internet is not used for 4k of the Olympics. The on-demand was sent by internal servers over Comcast's own internet and did not use a customer's modem at all.

So what you are saying is that I would not be required to get Comcast Internet if I were to replace my Cisco HD cable-box for the current X1 box and 4K DVR.

That would mean anyone with a cheaper 4K tv (without built-in apps) would not even be required to have Internet service if they have been living without it.

Official Employee

Rustyben misunderstood what you’re asking. Like I told you in another thread, you need Comcast Internet to get an X1 box. Doesn’t matter what speed tier.

Expert

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Rustyben misunderstood what you’re asking. Like I told you in another thread, you need Comcast Internet to get an X1 box. Doesn’t matter what speed tier.

The speed tier matters for 4K. Comcast has mentioned 50 Mbps. So which tier covers that?  Performance Pro? Blast Pro?

Frequent Visitor

I want a Xfinity XG1v4 TV Box

HI I am an x1 user and I have been from the very beginning for about 4 maybe 5 years now I was one of the first installs in south Florida the techs said I was their first x1 setup which took days. I was told the boxes I got were 4k compatible which is why I got them. So there not... great.. don't get me wrong I love x1 but I would have waited till it worked. They did installs here for like a week and figured out the network was not ready for x1 for like 9 more months so I dealt with 9 months of horror.<br><br>So I have 5 boxes 3 can pause and rewind tv and they have their own tuners. 2 boxes are dvrs that function as 1 dvr they share the 2 hard drives as 1 and they share the schedule. So I can record 10 shows and I have 1 tb if space. <br><br>So I have some issues <br><br>1 is there's only a 500gb hard drive. I have already noticed that shows that record don't have the same quality as live shows. 500 gb hard drive's have been in your dvrs for a good 10 years now and cost nothing so why don't you put a 1 or 2tb hard drive in there? Att or someone has offered a 2tb hard drive for years now. Ultra HD recording are going to blow through hard drive space like it's nothing. 4k is 3 to 4 times more space then HD depending on the quality of the broadcast. When you do broadcast shows in 4k. Now I just got off the phone with sales and they want me to pay 15$ so they can maIL me a 4k box but I don't want to get a 4k box and 6 months later you have a much better box with actual storage space when you realize 500gb won't cut it.<br> 2. My other issue is loosing all my recodings. I have been told my recordings will automatically restore themselves to the new dvr. I have 2 dvrs I will only replace 1 of the 2. My understanding is only the shows that are on the cloud will be restored back on the dvr even though sale's says they will all restore regardless of whether they're on the cloud or not. Back when the cloud backed up your dvr in full I would have believed this but then you guys decide to only back up 60 hours of shows per dvr which is horrible that was a horrible change. If all my dvr recodings will be restored regardless if I can see them on the cloud please let me know how that works. I would love to upgrade to the 4k box now but it really should have more storage space.<br><br><br>3. My last issue is Scheduled shows. Im told that I won't loose any of my schedule but then I was told that the recordings record on what ever box they were originally set on. So what happens there? <br><br>4. What I'd love to do if my recorded shows won't transfer to the new box is get the new box and have 3 dvrs permanently but in my area I don't think they allow that. Or have 3 boxes for a little while and watch everything that's on 1old dvr only. let new shows record on the new dvr empty out the old dvr and sent it back.<br><br>5. Really id love the cloud to go back to fully backing up all recodings and have 1 box that records 10 to 12 shows with 2tb of space on 1 dvr. That would be great if you could do that.<br><br> working with what we have here what can be done with all the above questions? <br><br>I have a nice Samsung un78js9500 78 inch curved ultra HD TV and I'd love to actually use it!!!<br>Right now i use amazon and netflixs yet I pay comcast 270$ a month and get no ultra HD at all sof please let's get on the ball! Tks <br>
Expert

Re: I want a Xfinity XG1v4 TV Box

@ppeter78 wrote:
HI I am an x1 user and I have been from the very beginning for about 4 maybe 5 years now I was one of the first installs in south Florida the techs said I was their first x1 setup which took days. I was <snip>

please see this post for info (in customer service thread) http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Xfinity-4k-XG1v4-Cable-Box-Availability/m-p/3054605/hi...

Official Employee

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

The speed tier matters for 4K. Comcast has mentioned 50 Mbps. So which tier covers that?  Performance Pro? Blast Pro?

That wasn't the question that you asked.  Are you referring to 4K on personal devices? Performance pro should cover you

Expert

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

That wasn't the question that you asked.  Are you referring to 4K on personal devices? Performance pro should cover you

I am talking about 4K on a 65" tv. I never watch tv on any smaller devices.

Andrew; I know you own a 4K television and Rusty dosn't yet.

It would be less confusing to just tell me what cable-boxes your currently have, and what Internet level you use to watch 4K Olympics, or 4K Netflix over the 4K DVR. That is really all I have been trying to figure out. I know you have been able to watch these successfully.

New Poster

Right now I have one X1 DVR and 3 small recievers, and I have a 4K TV but it's not using the main X1 DVR box. Can I upgrade just that box to 4K and not pay for an additional DVR? Or if I need to replace the main DVR, can I keep all my recordings? Again I only have one 4K TV so I just want to upgrade one as opposed to the 4 I have.
Tags (5)
Expert

@kmwtwin2 wrote:
Right now I have one X1 DVR and 3 small recievers, and I have a 4K TV but it's not using the main X1 DVR box. Can I upgrade just that box to 4K and not pay for an additional DVR? Or if I need to replace the main DVR, can I keep all my recordings? Again I only have one 4K TV so I just want to upgrade one as opposed to the 4 I have.

the only announced X1 device that is 4K capable is a DVRso you would have to upgrade that device to a DVR that is attached to the 4K TV. note that one of your 'smaller' boxes should be swapped for an XG2 if you don't have one so the other smaller boxes can use a tuner from the XG2 instead of your DVR.

Regular Visitor

I just came back from your store they dont have the new 4k dvr boxes can i get the ok to pm one of the comcast people to give all my info so you can send me the new box for my 4k tv?

Official Employee

Mntundraret, the 4K dvr and it’s offerings have nothing to do with internet speeds/service. You just need Comcast internet to get the X1 boxes. It will work the same with the lowest internet speeds or the highest.

Internet speeds and watching 4K on your personal devices is something totally different.

Expert

@Dale51 wrote:

I just came back from your store they dont have the new 4k dvr boxes can i get the ok to pm one of the comcast people to give all my info so you can send me the new box for my 4k tv?

do you have Netflix with 4k option turned on?

Regular Visitor

Hi, I have 4K Netflix would like to order a 4K DVR, but I am unable to send PM. Can someone assist?
Hokey777
Regular Visitor

Hi, posting to enable PM feature

Regular Visitor

@ComcastElla, I am still not able to send PMs.  Can you or some other Comcast team member PM me to request a 4K box?

Thank you.

New Poster

4K DVR BOX

Do I need a sevice staff to come out to mt apt to recieve exchange my X! box for an 4K DVR BOX?

Official Employee

Important message for all future requestsWhen you send me a private message with your account information please identify your full name and if you are an account holder; if not, please identify the name of the account holder; please provide the full address as it listed on your billing statement.  It is really important and it would save us a lot of time. Thank you all in advance 

@dreborn - I see that my colleague ComcasrAmir replied to your request in a private message.

@Xfact0r39 and @hokey777 - Please let me know if you still have issues with PM.

@paolodeluna and @dacorral915 - Got your message and replied back.

@Pharrell - In order to get a 4K DVR box you have to have a DVR service. Send me a private message with your full name, address, and a phone number associated with your account and I will provide you prices.

@Dale51 - Feel free to send me a private message with the required information (full name, address, phone or account number).

Frequent Visitor

I have a 4K TV. I have tried 3 different times with the X1 box. The picture quality on my 4K tv was not as good as the old Comcast box. Each time I returned the boxes. I am wondering if this is an issue with the new 4K  boxes. I would like to try the 4K if available in my area. Thanks