Community Forum

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 TV Box

I use a Logitech Harmony remote. I have also tried searching for “4K” but that turns up nothing. Seriously, I keep hearing that the 4K Olympic content exists, but can find nothing but the 3-minute-long Welcome video.
Contributor

What resolution is your box set to?

Official Employee

Try pushing A button and arrow over to System Refresh, other than that there’s no reason not to see the offerings. Can you see them on your secondary box ( you should but it will give you an error code if you try to access).

You’ll see the assets regardless of your display settings
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

2160P/60 (Best). And I used the high-speed hdmi cable from my UHD player, so I know the cable is good for HDR.
Contributor

@yamato72 wrote:
2160P/60 (Best). And I used the high-speed hdmi cable from my UHD player, so I know the cable is good for HDR.

Just say "Show me 4k" into your remote.  The Olympic programs should show up immediately.  At least it does for me.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I did the refresh and then searched for “4K.” Then I found the 4K content listed. Thank you for the help!
I returned to the Olympic portal and it is still not listed there (which is where the Xfinity 4K Olympics pages told you to look for it). So I hope the Xfinity folks can learn a bit from this experience. It was pretty painful for me but I’m now watching the opening ceremony with the family.
Contributor

@slydoggie wrote:

I have received my XG1v4 4K box and have performed some testing to compare the video quality I get from multiple display resolution settings. Following are my findings:

1. If I select one of the 4K settings, the XG1v4 outputs 4K to the TV at all times, regardless of the original content resolution. In other words, the cable box is upscaling everything to 4K regardless of the content... Even for regular 1080p station broadcasts. I know this because my projector has an information screen which shows the resolution of the input it is receiving.
  2. If I select the 1080p or 1080i display setting, the video I receive is significantly better... Better contrast and better clarity. This is because I have the XG1v4 installed in my Home Theater and it is connected to a high-end 4K projector which does an amazing job of 4K upscaling of 1080p content to my 145" screen. In this case, it certainly does a far better job of 4K upscaling than the XG1v4 box does.
  3. If I select one of the 4K settings, Netflix doesn't show the UHD content. Even the Netflix content which should be UHD (like House of Cards, Stranger Things, and etc) shows up as HD 5.1 rather than UHD. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  4. If I select one of the 4K settings, I'm still not seeing any 4K Olympics options in the Olympics On Demand. I don't know if this content has shown up yet so it may not be there for anybody at this point. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  5. As a side item, I was surprised by the fact that all of my DVR recordings showed up on the new unit. Before I replaced my previous DVR, I did the "SYNC" option in the settings. When I installed the new 4K box, all of my recordings are accessible. I assume that everything was synced in the cloud and that is what made this possible.

Based on these findings, until there is native 4K content, it appears that I am better off leaving the display setting at 1080p60 so that my projector can do the upscaling of the 1080p content. I was really hoping that it would output the original resolution for everything... 1080p for 1080p content and 4K for 4K content. This is a huge disappointment as I was looking forward to using this box for broadcast 4K.

I can confirm these findings on my B6 OLED. I set up the box on Monday and naturally set it to the highest resolution setting. Directly connected to the TV. Couldn't really tell a difference in image quality since I personally don't watch a lot of cable TV. However, true to my nature, I did some 720p vs 1080i testing this morning by comparing AMC (CH 171) and NBCSN (CH 174) and trying various settings on the XG1v4 (assuming these two channels are 720p and 1080i, respectively).

Set to 2160p60 - Image noticeably flat and dull; lacking color, contrast, brightness and sharpness.

Set to 720p - Image noticeably better; improved color and contrast, slightly improved brightness, and sharpness seemed more or less the same.

Set to 1080i - Same as above, except color and contrast seems slightly worse.

Set to 1080p60 - Everything clearly improved; color, contrast, brightness and sharpness. Very obvious 'day and night' difference.

So it appears that the XG1v4 is optimized for 1080p. The upscaler doesn't do nearly as good a job as the TV's.

I made a separate thread about this, but the solution to this would have been a native resolution setting. Because reading through this thread I just learned that the Olympics are in 4K. I just tried watching it with the box set to 1080p60 and I got a notification saying I need to set it to 4K. I guess it's not a big deal, but still.

Contributor

@a5m wrote:

@slydoggie wrote:

I have received my XG1v4 4K box and have performed some testing to compare the video quality I get from multiple display resolution settings. Following are my findings:

1. If I select one of the 4K settings, the XG1v4 outputs 4K to the TV at all times, regardless of the original content resolution. In other words, the cable box is upscaling everything to 4K regardless of the content... Even for regular 1080p station broadcasts. I know this because my projector has an information screen which shows the resolution of the input it is receiving.
  2. If I select the 1080p or 1080i display setting, the video I receive is significantly better... Better contrast and better clarity. This is because I have the XG1v4 installed in my Home Theater and it is connected to a high-end 4K projector which does an amazing job of 4K upscaling of 1080p content to my 145" screen. In this case, it certainly does a far better job of 4K upscaling than the XG1v4 box does.
  3. If I select one of the 4K settings, Netflix doesn't show the UHD content. Even the Netflix content which should be UHD (like House of Cards, Stranger Things, and etc) shows up as HD 5.1 rather than UHD. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  4. If I select one of the 4K settings, I'm still not seeing any 4K Olympics options in the Olympics On Demand. I don't know if this content has shown up yet so it may not be there for anybody at this point. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  5. As a side item, I was surprised by the fact that all of my DVR recordings showed up on the new unit. Before I replaced my previous DVR, I did the "SYNC" option in the settings. When I installed the new 4K box, all of my recordings are accessible. I assume that everything was synced in the cloud and that is what made this possible.

Based on these findings, until there is native 4K content, it appears that I am better off leaving the display setting at 1080p60 so that my projector can do the upscaling of the 1080p content. I was really hoping that it would output the original resolution for everything... 1080p for 1080p content and 4K for 4K content. This is a huge disappointment as I was looking forward to using this box for broadcast 4K.

I can confirm these findings on my B6 OLED. I set up the box a couple days ago on Monday and naturally set it to the highest resolution setting. Directly connected to the TV. Couldn't really tell a difference in image quality since I personally don't watch a lot of cable TV. However, true to my nature, I did some 720p vs 1080i testing this morning by comparing AMC (Ch 171) and NBCSN (174) and trying various settings on the XG1v4.

Set to 2160p60 - Image noticeably flat and dull; lacking color, contrast, brightness and sharpness.

Set to 720p - Image noticeably better; improved color and contrast, slightly improved brightness, and sharpness seemed more or less the same.

Set to 1080p60 - Everything clearly improved; color, contrast, brightness and sharpness. Very obvious 'day and night' difference.

So it appears that the XG1v4 is optimized for 1080p. The upscaler doesn't do nearly as good a job as the TV's.

I made a separate thread about this, but the solution to this would have been a native resolution setting. Because reading through this thread I just learned that the Olympics are in 4K. I just tried watching it with the box set to 1080p60 and I got a notification saying I need to set it to 4K. I guess it's not a big deal, but still.

Did you enable Deep/UHD Color when testing 2160?

Contributor

@Cydeweyz wrote:

@a5m wrote:

@slydoggie wrote:

I can confirm these findings on my B6 OLED. I set up the box a couple days ago on Monday and naturally set it to the highest resolution setting. Directly connected to the TV. Couldn't really tell a difference in image quality since I personally don't watch a lot of cable TV. However, true to my nature, I did some 720p vs 1080i testing this morning by comparing AMC (Ch 171) and NBCSN (174) and trying various settings on the XG1v4.

Did you enable Deep/UHD Color when testing 2160?

Yes, you are referring to the HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color setting and it is On.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Is this really how I can get a 4K box? I too would like to order one, please
Frequent Visitor

Where is the HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color setting found?

Expert

@ggibson864 wrote:

He might be referring to a setting found on his model of LG tv.

The settings go by different names depending on the brand of UHD tv. You should also be aware that people with lower priced 60 Hz UHD televisions cannot get a 4k 60p signal.

It requires a upper tier 120 Hz UHD televisions. Most of the posters here having good success for 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos probably have a higher end 120 Hz UHD televisions.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

Re: my 4K review

Hi andyat1217. We're sorry you were disappointed with the new DVR. Sounds like you have already troubleshooted a few things to try and improve the quality. I can assist with scheduling a technician visit to come out and confirm everything is operating/connected as it should be. I personally have the XG1v4 on my 4K UHD set at home, and the quality is phenomenal. If you'd like the additional assistance, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

Do you think you can send me one?Thanks. Do i have to put my private info here?
Contributor

@ggibson864 wrote:

Like someone has already pointed out, this is a setting on my B6 OLED TV.

Regular Visitor

Of course.  You're comparing an over-the-air non-compressed image to a greatly compressed image.  OTA images will probably always look better.

Contributor

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@ggibson864 wrote:

The settings go by different names depending on the brand of UHD tv. You should also be aware that people with lower priced 60 Hz UHD televisions cannot get a 4k 60p signal.

It requires a upper tier 120 Hz UHD televisions. Most of the posters here having good success for 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos probably have a higher end 120 Hz UHD televisions.

60p and 60Hz are two different things. A 4K 60hz TV can get a 4K 60p signal, it doesn't require 120Hz. That's irrelevant anyway as 120Hz mainly helps to reduce motion blur or judder.

4K HDR and Dolby Atmos is a whole different thing. Just to update - I watched the Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony in 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos on On Demand last night. TV went into HDR Mode and it looked great.

Regular Visitor

I've got the XG1 DVR currently and just ordered the XG1v4 box moments ago.  We'll see how it goes.  Currently I have a Sony XBR65X850D 4K TV.  I run it on the 1080i setting and let the TV do the rest.  It seems like it helps with the judder and blur.  I've got all upgraded coaxial and HDMI cables in my set up, but I don't know what's outside.  It's only a 3 year old subdivision, but I've never had signal issues thus far.  I'm a Sony snob.  All my AV is Sony.  Not for any good reason...just used to it and comfortable with it.  Anyone with a similar Sony TV with the new 4K box, I'd love some feedback.

New Poster

New Poster

Re: XG1v4 TV Box XR!! & XR15 remotes

New Poster

XG1v4

How do I get this new XG1v4 box?

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity has been re-encoding every channel to 720P for quite a while. With my last X1 box, I left it’s output at 720P to prevent another resizing/resampling step from occurring before it reached the TV. Now that I have the gen 4 I have left it at 2160P/60 and the HD channels are passable quality. In the short time I’ve had this box I’ve wondered if they have since started letting 1080i signals through unmolested.

(This was in response to the recent post about the video processor up scaling to 4K better than the X1. Sorry, haven’t figured out how to quote a post)
Regular Contributor

Thank You Comcast,but I am not paying for a tech to come out at this stage.I made some adjustments and did watch a 4 k version of Woody Woodpecker movie on Netflix and there was a big picture improvement.I think at this point if the programming isnt produced for 4k it just not going to look as good.But after a few days of using new 4k box I can notice a slight improvement,however a lot of people who use Comcast in my area comment on the picture looking washed out on most channels regardless of what x1 box they have.The biggest complaint at this time I have with new X1 4K box(and this has nothing to do with picture quality)is no front of box clock,,my old X1 was the only clock in my room,but this is easily remedied by buying a cheap digital clock..This issue I can live with.I really dont like the new remote that came with new 4k box as it just doesnt feel as good in my hand ,but I do like that it can change TV inputs,however once changing inputs it only controls tv sound and wont change tv channels while in OTA mode,if there is a fix for this let me know as I would like to have 1 remote that covers all devices for my TV,OTA,Roku.But certainly not the worst thing.I am sure there will be improvements  over time.Also my Vizio TV isnt the best on the Market even though its a 4K set my model is M43-C-1 but better than Ive ever had.(my TV was exchanged out directly from Vizio when my new Vizio(only HD)TV quit working after 2 weeks.

Expert

@yamato72 wrote:
Xfinity has been re-encoding every channel to 720P for quite a while. With my last X1 box, I left it’s output at 720P to prevent another resizing/resampling step from occurring before it reached the TV. Now that I have the gen 4 I have left it at 2160P/60 and the HD channels are passable quality. In the short time I’ve had this box I’ve wondered if they have since started letting 1080i signals through unmolested.

(This was in response to the recent post about the video processor up scaling to 4K better than the X1. Sorry, haven’t figured out how to quote a post)

the networks provide HVEC for HD and mpeg2 for SD (only) feeds. The HEVC is converted to the 720p60 in mpeg4. the local retransmission channels are carried in Comcast in the broadcast format and for streaming is converted to progressive scan.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

Didn't mean to necessarily reply to this, just got this box and had a question. Everything is great until I start to watch 4k Olympic. As soon as the video starts to load video drops out. I unplug and replug the HDMI and I get my video back with her and 4k. When video is done and it goes back to normal video I lose video again. Again unplug and replug HDMI gives me back my video. What could be the fix? Again only happens when swapping to and from 4k videos.
Frequent Visitor

@Rogerpm5k wrote:
Didn't mean to necessarily reply to this, just got this box and had a question. Everything is great until I start to watch 4k Olympic. As soon as the video starts to load video drops out. I unplug and replug the HDMI and I get my video back with her and 4k. When video is done and it goes back to normal video I lose video again. Again unplug and replug HDMI gives me back my video. What could be the fix? Again only happens when swapping to and from 4k videos.

This sounds like a typical 4K HDMI cable issue to me. These kinds of issues can occur if there are issues with the bandwidth capability of the cable. You can find very inexpensive certified 4K cables. If you have a certified 4K HDMI cable, then you might still want to try another cable. Also, if you are going through a AV Receiver, you may want to connect directly to the TV to see if this changes the behaviour.

Regards, SLY
Frequent Visitor

@a5m wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@ggibson864 wrote:

60p and 60Hz are two different things. A 4K 60hz TV can get a 4K 60p signal, it doesn't require 120Hz. That's irrelevant anyway as 120Hz mainly helps to reduce motion blur or judder.

4K HDR and Dolby Atmos is a whole different thing. Just to update - I watched the Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony in 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos on On Demand last night. TV went into HDR Mode and it looked great.

I think there is a common theme developing here. If your TV (or projector) has HDR capability, then the 4K looks good. If you don't have HDR capability, then the video is very washed out. It appears that the XG1v4 doesn't do a good job of HDR to SDR conversion. The unit definitely detects whether the TV does or does not have HDR capability but I'm just not sure it does anything differently with the output to compensate if it doesn't have HDR.

Regards, SLY
Contributor

@slydoggie wrote:

@a5m wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@ggibson864 wrote:

I think there is a common theme developing here. If your TV (or projector) has HDR capability, then the 4K looks good. If you don't have HDR capability, then the video is very washed out. It appears that the XG1v4 doesn't do a good job of HDR to SDR conversion. The unit definitely detects whether the TV does or does not have HDR capability but I'm just not sure it does anything differently with the output to compensate if it doesn't have HDR.

My Samsung 4k UHD TV is pre HDR and the 4k programming looks great.  I only had one on-demand Olympic recording that appeared over exposed and this was one of the first recordings that appeared.  Since then, all material looks great.  I still contend it was the manner in which Comcast rendered those affected programs to on-demand.  All other 4k programming from Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube looks great on my pre HDR TV.  

Contributor

wrote:

I just learned how to quote a post - once you hit the 'Reply' button you'll see a yellow 'Quote' button on the top right of the text box. It appears when using a PC but not my Android phone.

I've done the same and set the XG1v4 to 2160p60 for now. Or at least until the Winter Olympics are over. Looking into cables now - maybe that's the issue. Ordered this one from monoprice. Will see how it goes.

Expert

Re: XG1v4

please follow the directions in the post that is a few above yours from the Comcast Official Employee.

Frequent Visitor

@a5m wrote:

wrote:

I just learned how to quote a post - once you hit the 'Reply' button you'll see a yellow 'Quote' button on the top right of the text box. It appears when using a PC but not my Android phone.

I've done the same and set the XG1v4 to 2160p60 for now. Or at least until the Winter Olympics are over. Looking into cables now - maybe that's the issue. Ordered this one from monoprice. Will see how it goes.

Yep, that's the exact same cable I use for all my 4K devices and have been very pleased with it.

Regards, SLY
Contributor

@slydoggie wrote:

@a5m wrote:

wrote:

Yep, that's the exact same cable I use for all my 4K devices and have been very pleased with it.

Well that's good to know. Reflects its rating and reviews. Will probably upgrade all the cables with that one.

Regular Visitor

Hi, I would like to send you a PM to order the 4k set top box.  Existing comcast internet user, but the PM function doesn't work to let me send you a message.  Could you kindly help?  Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The PM works now. 

Regular Visitor

Just posting a public message to activate the PM feature.  Thanks!

Regular Visitor

I have issues sending a message. 

Expert

@bcbbc2202 wrote:

I have issues sending a message. 

try now

Regular Visitor

Worked. Thanks. 

New Poster

4K set top box

Please tell me how to get a new 4K set top box.

Expert

Re: 4K set top box

@Dre2 wrote:

Please tell me how to get a new 4K set top box.

an earlier post in this thread has the instructions: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Xfinity-4k-XG1v4-Cable-Box-Availability/m-p/3050078/hi...

Regular Contributor

Oh darn, been on here before why I was not getting 4K on my DVR to the TV. I found out later after several replies that the 3rd party guy hooked up my 535 Bose last year, he told me a few months ago said, my AV sound system is not 4K and no HDMI ARC, he said, there is a work around by using a 4k splitter, I wouldn't even know which one I need and how to hook it up? but he charges about a $150.00, wife said no way, and he said it might cause complications, open a can of worms? TV has to hook up through my AV system and cannot be hooked up TV to the XG1v4.
Just for the fun of it, I hooked up my HDMI ARC cable from TV to the DVR, unplugged power to the Bose, turned on OLED C7 internal speakers, brought up the Video Display settings, there showed up 2160p setting, choose & 2160p/60, used my XR11 mic, said, show me 4K, it brought up the Ice skating in 4K, clicked on it, WOW! awesome! but sadly had to unhook cable from tv to dvr, go back to my 1080p old way, darn! oh well, our OLED upscales pretty good.
Does any one would know which 4K splitter I would need? my HDMI cable from TV goes in the HDMI video-out with out it not set up that way would not be able to see source choice on tv screen, then HDMI cable from back of Bose hooked up to HDMI 2 to the DVR HDMI out, using Digital Optical cable from tv- out to Bose input-in, if the question is a can of worms to ask, then it's OK if it is, can live with 1080P thanks you!
looked at switches, splitters, now I'm confused, have one tv, DVR, Bose 543 AV 5.1, and a old DVD/VCR player, use it to rip VHS tapes to disc, hooked up to Bose, HDMI and RF out from XG1v4 to DVD/VCR player output in.
Bose Sources are Cable, DVD/VCR, Sound Touch, Bluetooth,TV, FM,and AM.
On the TV, using HDMI input in #3 for a Blu-ray player.

My biggest down fall going through  the Bose AV, lacks HDMI HDCP2.2, not 4K compatible, not HDR Pass-Through, may have to throw in the towel again of the work around using a splitter, or switcher?

If the Bose AV was not so new, wish it was a old system, then I would dump it in a heart beat!

A few things I got to say that our new XG1v4 DVR is a lot faster, no more Pixelation, no more recorded screen freezing, oh! today I all so put a ground wire on the PCC-EVO amp booster, don't know why Comcast tech did not do it, will see if any improvments? right now watching the men's BOBSLED, figure skating, freestyle skiing now, since I got a taste of my HDR 4K testing today, now watching 1080p I would say the 4K setup was about 25% (could be more %) better than watching it a 2160P was a WOW factor! like Rick said, our OLED 4K TV's is the best of best in Rick's and my opinion. 

When I bought the OLED 1st hooked it up was not awful, we could of left setting the way they were by default, was a beautiful picture! I had made a few changes of our perference what we liked, plus had to buy 4K HDMI cables. 

Cyber turbo power desktop.Intel 4790k 4.0GHz.GPU-Gigabyte Geforce 1060 Windforce OC 6GB-Notebook dv6225us AMD Turion 64X2 2GB Go6150 GPU Vista Home Premuim
Expert

Your problems are self-inflicted. This is not "rocket science".

If you have not yet done it, go to the LG site and down-load the real manual for your new tv. My Samsung tv manual was about 150 pages. I have a friend with your model of LG UHD tv. We were at their house for cards about a month ago. The first thing I noticed is that his picture was awful. The tv comes in "standard setting" and I thought he still had the Visio tv. He left the only manual supplied (15 pages?) in the box.

I did get his tv picture adjusted and back on the Internet for You Tube and watching real 4K. I was able to use 4K / HDR test patterns to adjust tv. I must say trying to find and use the OLED UHD tv menu is very substandard to my Samsung's menus. Using the full LG manual would have really helped. The manual should give pictures and simple instructions to get all your equipment hooked through the tv. If your tv looks only 5% better (up-scaled to 4K) versis the real thing (4K on You Tube), it is not even close to being adjusted.

Your Bose system only needs one cable (Optical / digital) to supply 5.1 sound from the tv. You no longer need to mess with any functions on the Bose since the tv will supply either it's speakers, or Bose speakers, for any device connected to it (tv).

As for Rick, we all miss him. It's hard to help if you can only monitor the forum.

Expert

adding... toslink will restrict you to the older audio technologies. new digital audio needs to use the HDMI path.

Problem Solver

Re: 4K set top box

if I call for a box do I have to talk to people? or is it automated?

Contributor

I had the same experience with COMCAST CHAT Customer Service as recent as 2/17 or 2/18/2018.  I was reassured several times that all I had to do was go to my local store to exchange my old box for the newer 4k DVR or else they would ship one to me for $15.  I tried calling my local store but the call was routed to a central customer service desk.  They told me the new box is not yet available at my local store but they could ship one to me and I could return the old one by mail or drop it off locally.  So, I'm expecting one to arrive in 3-5 business days from today, 2/19/2018; shipping fee waived.

Contributor

I had the same experience with COMCAST CHAT Customer Service as recent as 2/17 or 2/18/2018.  I was reassured several times that all I had to do was go to my local store to exchange my old box for the newer 4k DVR or else they would ship one to me for $15.  I tried calling my local store but the call was routed to a central customer service desk.  They told me the new box is not yet available at my local store but they could ship one to me and I could return the old one by mail or drop it off locally.  So, I'm expecting one to arrive in 3-5 business days from today, 2/19/2018.  I was told there would be no additional fees and shipping would be waived.  Wait and see what happens next.

Expert

to request a 4K set top DVR (only 4K available at this time) see this post (on this thread) http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Xfinity-4k-XG1v4-Cable-Box-Availability/m-p/3050078/hi...

Contributor

Re: Need to swap HD DVR for Arris XG1v4 4K DVR

How do I remove any personal data, passwords, etc from the old box before I exchange for a new box?
Official Employee

Re: Need to swap HD DVR for Arris XG1v4 4K DVR

@PineSap wrote:
How do I remove any personal data, passwords, etc from the old box before I exchange for a new box?

Check your private messages

Frequent Visitor

And there is no HDMI splitter that will do what you want to do, the devices (like monoprice.com sells) negotiate to the least-capable HDMI device. Until you update your AVR, the closest you can get is to send full-bandwidth HDMI to the TV and split off 5.1 Dolby Digital (or 2-channel PCM) via Toslink to your AVR.
Regular Contributor

Thanks guys for your help, I will bit the bullet, I did awhile back brought up YouTube to sample 4K, but like the 3rd party tech said there is NO work around with my 5.1 Bose. like you stated yamato72 , I thought about the Toslink, but rather not, some year when we upgrade on our AV, which may be until our AV takes a crash, or what ever.

Least I got another taste a few days ago of 4K to see how the DVR gave me the true 4K when I disabled the Bose, and ran the HDMI from the DVR to the TV. I'm done!

Cyber turbo power desktop.Intel 4790k 4.0GHz.GPU-Gigabyte Geforce 1060 Windforce OC 6GB-Notebook dv6225us AMD Turion 64X2 2GB Go6150 GPU Vista Home Premuim