Community Forum

XR2 remote not controlling X1 box

New Poster

XR2 remote not controlling X1 box

Hi, got up this morning, and my XR2 remote won't control my X1 box. Checked the battery power, and it's good (3 blinks). I repaired it to the box by RF. The remote will turn my TV on and off, but I cannot change any channels or input any numbers. I tried to turn the x1 box off by the power button, but it's not responding. Any help would be appreciated.
Official Employee

Re: XR2 remote not controlling X1 box

Try powercycling it
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

having same problem, can see the green light when i push buttons but it wont respond

Bronze Problem Solver

tplehner wrote:

having same problem, can see the green light when i push buttons but it wont respond

As Andrew suggested - unplug it for 30 seconds and then plug it back in and let it reboot.  Should fix the problem.

New Poster

yup that worked thanks a bunch , online chat people were worthless again

Gold Problem Solver

Chances are Andrew and manamok have far more hands on experience with the product than any Comcast CSR would have and thats kind of a shame...

tplehner wrote:

Problem Solver

RickGr4 wrote:

Chances are Andrew and manamok have far more hands on experience with the product than any Comcast CSR would have and thats kind of a shame...

Yes, but in a way that is understandable. Almost everyone posting to this X1 forum is a customer who is actually using the X1 platform and has direct experience.  I bet most of the CSRs have never personally used X1 and must rely on trouble-shooting scripts, especially since X1 is still so new and has "limited availability".

I actually think Comcast should make these "trouble-shooting" scripts available on a web site somewhere so people could do more "self-help". I bet that would cut down on a large number of their tech support calls.  

Of course if they did that, I'd also like their CSRs to somehow acknowledge when people have already done some level of self-diagnosis and bypass their normal procedures.  There's nothing more frustrating than having a CSR suggest the same steps you've already tried.  I have this same complaint with many different support systems (including those at my own company).

Gold Problem Solver

That wasn't actually a complaint. I was merely making a comment that "it is what it is".

Bob I agree with everything you said. In the consumer electronics industry just about every manufacturer there is offers an employee purchasing program and the sole purpose of the program is to get their products into hands of employees as easily and affordably as possible. I am about to purchase a new Marantz AV receiver on an employee purchase program. We all know that many Comcast employees have had X1/X2 at home for some time and many have been "testing" it. I think they should expand that and make sure as many customer service employees as possible have the product at home as well. Comcast may come back and say there isn't enough product available to support that however I am in the camp that Comcast is not as short of product as they have indicated and the "holds" on X1 deployment are being driven by something else.

BellevueBob wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Yes, but in a way that is understandable. Almost everyone posting to this X1 forum is a customer who is actually using the X1 platform and has direct experience.  I bet most of the CSRs have never personally used X1 and must rely on trouble-shooting scripts, especially since X1 is still so new and has "limited availability".

I actually think Comcast should make these "trouble-shooting" scripts available on a web site somewhere so people could do more "self-help". I bet that would cut down on a large number of their tech support calls.  

Of course if they did that, I'd also like their CSRs to somehow acknowledge when people have already done some level of self-diagnosis and bypass their normal procedures.  There's nothing more frustrating than having a CSR suggest the same steps you've already tried.  I have this same complaint with many different support systems (including those at my own company).

Bronze Problem Solver

tplehner wrote:

You're welcome - and thanks for the kudo.

Bronze Problem Solver

RickGr4 wrote:

Rick, Bob and Andrew,

Anyone who has been through the "X1 Wars" - like us and the other forum oldtimers - has developed their own techniques for dealing with this pesky, often-frustrating box we've come to love/hate.  Our collective knowledge and experience far outweigh what the average CSR could hope to provide.  Viva la forum!

Gold Problem Solver

I my case I have learned to filter out or ignore the stuff I am convinced it is going to take firmware updates to fix which we have no control over. Progress is being made and the product is working well enough for me to be able to enjoy it and not have my lovely significant other scowling at me when she can't figure something out or something doesn't work the way she expected it to...

There seems to be many knowledgeable people here and lots of people with a great deal of experience with consumer electronics (I am coming up on 35 years). Yet I think a day doesn't go by that someone points out something about X1/X2 that I was not aware of. I think thats a good thing and one of the main reasons I hang out here...

manamok wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Rick, Bob and Andrew,

Anyone who has been through the "X1 Wars" - like us and the other forum oldtimers - has developed their own techniques for dealing with this pesky, often-frustrating box we've come to love/hate.  Our collective knowledge and experience far outweigh what the average CSR could hope to provide.  Viva la forum!

New Poster

Hey everyone,

I'm having the same problem getting my XR2 remote to work with the X1 box. Powercycling does work...but only remporarily. The next time I go to use the TV, I have to powercycle AGAIN. I've tried new batteries and both the box and remote have been replaced.

Any thoughts?

Valued Contributor

Yes!  Your X1 DVR is having trouble communicating with Comcast servers (the cloud).  Remote keypresses are not interpreted by your X1 DVR.  Instead, they are relayed to the cloud where they are interpreted and commands issued to your X1 DVR or information is provided.  Most likely, the signal levels at your X1 DVR are not adequate for reliable communications with the cloud using the built-in modem.  You need to schedule a Comcast service call.  If you wish, you can check signal levels yourself as follows:

1. Hold down exit button for more than 5 seconds
2. Press the down arrow twice
3. Press 2
4. Down to system and right arrow to page 5 of 9
Downstream received should be between 8 and -8
Downstream SNR should be over 35
Upstream Power should be between 35 and 51

Problem Solver

I think jehill is right here, but you could check the powersave to make sure it is off. Also make sure you are not turning the box off in any way!

Problem Solver

SSacher, were you able to check the signal levels on your box?  Also, has the remote been able to to operate your X1 box?

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon