Community Forum

XR15 remote turning on cable box

Highlighted
New Poster

XR15 remote turning on cable box

My cable box is set to use the power saver.  So it turns off after it hasn't been used for a while.  However, it wont turn on with the remote.  I have to physically get up and turn it off.  Not that I am too lazy to get up, but just curious if I am missing something on the setup of the remote.  It works for everything else, including TV and Audio.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: XR15 remote turning on cable box

What are you pressing to wake up the box? Try Xfinity or channel up/down button if you aren’t already

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: XR15 remote turning on cable box

Thanks........worked.  I was under the impression that the power button would turn everything on.

 

 

New Poster

Re: XR15 remote turning on cable box

When I picked up the new XR15 remote, I asked the representatives at the Xfinity Store if I needed to do any setup, and they said no. They said it should work with the box I have. That was completely inaccurate! I went back into the store to explain the problem I was having with the box not turning on after going into power saving mode. And the store rep said he has the same problem and didn't know how to fix it. So I shrugged and just figured that's how this new XR15 remote works. 

 

So after a month of being frustrated by having to get up and walk over to the box to turn the thing on, I finally called Comcast and got someone who knew what to do. The tech rep sent a code to my cable box that paired the XR15 remote to the box. Now the remote power button turns on BOTH the TV and the cable box. 

 

So I think the XR15 remote needs to be paired to your cable box. That should fix the problem. If only I had known that from the beginning. I should have read the setup instructions instead of trusting the Xfinity store reps. 

 

 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: XR15 remote turning on cable box


@kerguelen wrote:

When I picked up the new XR15 remote, I asked the representatives at the Xfinity Store if I needed to do any setup, and they said no. They said it should work with the box I have. That was completely inaccurate! I went back into the store to explain the problem I was having with the box not turning on after going into power saving mode. And the store rep said he has the same problem and didn't know how to fix it. So I shrugged and just figured that's how this new XR15 remote works. 

 

So after a month of being frustrated by having to get up and walk over to the box to turn the thing on, I finally called Comcast and got someone who knew what to do. The tech rep sent a code to my cable box that paired the XR15 remote to the box. Now the remote power button turns on BOTH the TV and the cable box. 

 

So I think the XR15 remote needs to be paired to your cable box. That should fix the problem. If only I had known that from the beginning. I should have read the setup instructions instead of trusting the Xfinity store reps. 

 

 


The remotes HAVE to be paired.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Re: XR15 remote turning on cable box

"Enter the first five-digit code listed for the TV manufacturer. As the code is entered, the remote light will blink on each digit entered." to pair the TV.

 

What code? All I was given is a remote. No instructions included. Where do I find a list of codes?

 

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: XR15 remote turning on cable box

They’re physically on the tv or go here
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/remote-program-the-xr2-or-xr5-to-aim-anywhere

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: XR15 remote turning on cable box

Doesn't work for me. The remote blinks as you described but no code appears on the TV. 

 

It should not be this difficult. 

 

Anway, my remote was paired to the cable box by a Comcast rep. And my TV turns off and on with the remote, so it must be in the remote by default. It's a Samsung TV.

 


@CCAndrew wrote:
They’re physically on the tv or go here
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/remote-program-the-xr2-or-xr5-to-aim-anywhere

 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: XR15 remote turning on cable box


@kerguelen wrote:

"Enter the first five-digit code listed for the TV manufacturer. As the code is entered, the remote light will blink on each digit entered." to pair the TV.

 

What code? All I was given is a remote. No instructions included. Where do I find a list of codes?

 


Did you try this?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/remotes

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!