Community Forum

XR15 remote is not compatible with Toshiba Amazon Fire TV

Highlighted
New Poster

XR15 remote is not compatible with Toshiba Amazon Fire TV

This is less of a question, and more of a bug report. 

During Prime Day I purchased a Toshiba Fire TV on Amazon, sold by Best Buy. At the same time, I had an XR15 box replacement sent so I could take advantage of the TVs 4K Ultra. 

Trying to pair the XR15 remote creates a conflict between the XR15 remote and the TVs remote. Each remote will only fully work about 20% of the time. Each remotes buttons will periodically lose functionality. The volume buttons on the XR15 remote rarely work. The power button on each remote almost never work. 

Initially, I believed this was a hardware problem with the television. I contacted Amazon, who in turn contacted Best Buy, who in turn sent a Geek Squad tech to my place. The tech and I worked at this for about an hour (I’ve worked in QA for the past ten years), and we determined that there seems to be a conflict caused because the TVs remote is Bluetooth, but the XR15 remote appears to be IR. Something’s going wrong and it seems like there needs to be an Xfinity update to address this. I’ve tried every available Toshiba code, but none eliminate this problem. I’ve also tried using. Logitech Harmony universal remote, but the same problem occurs. 

The TVs remote works with no issue, until the XR15 remote gets paired to control the television. Once the XR15 remote is paired and it starts receiving user input, the problems begin. It’s like the two remotes are fighting for dominance, then they get tired and stop working altogether. 

Expert

Re: XR15 remote is not compatible with Toshiba Amazon Fire TV

@Ianfenn wrote:

This is less of a question, and more of a bug report. 

During Prime Day I purchased a Toshiba Fire TV on Amazon, sold by Best Buy. At the same time, I had an XR15 box replacement sent so I could take advantage of the TVs 4K Ultra. 

Trying to pair the XR15 remote creates a conflict between the XR15 remote and the TVs remote. Each remote will only fully work about 20% of the time. Each remotes buttons will periodically lose functionality. The volume buttons on the XR15 remote rarely work. The power button on each remote almost never work. 

Initially, I believed this was a hardware problem with the television. I contacted Amazon, who in turn contacted Best Buy, who in turn sent a Geek Squad tech to my place. The tech and I worked at this for about an hour (I’ve worked in QA for the past ten years), and we determined that there seems to be a conflict caused because the TVs remote is Bluetooth, but the XR15 remote appears to be IR. Something’s going wrong and it seems like there needs to be an Xfinity update to address this. I’ve tried every available Toshiba code, but none eliminate this problem. I’ve also tried using. Logitech Harmony universal remote, but the same problem occurs. 

The TVs remote works with no issue, until the XR15 remote gets paired to control the television. Once the XR15 remote is paired and it starts receiving user input, the problems begin. It’s like the two remotes are fighting for dominance, then they get tired and stop working altogether. 

the x1 remotes (xr5, 11, 15) link to the x1 set top box using RF (zigbee) to communicate. the same remotes use IR to communicate to the TVs and soundbars and receivers.  my two vizio TV's remotes connect via bluetooth and do not interfere with the x1 remote.  

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!