Community Forum

XR15 Remote backlighting duration

New Poster

XR15 Remote backlighting duration

Is there a way to extend the duration of the backlighting on the XR15 remote? The lights don't stay on very long, barely 2 seconds.

Official Employee

Re: XR15 Remote backlighting duration

Sorry, at this time, no there isn’t

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: XR15 Remote backlighting duration-- please extend

The new X1 remote light doesn't stay on long enough for use in a darkened room. The buttons are so flat and indistinct that I cannot operate the remote by feel as easily as the previous version. "Lift To Illuminate" or user-configurable lighting duration are much better user experiences. Pls fix this!

New Poster

Same issue. Wish backlight would stay on longer.
Frequent Visitor

The backlight not automatically turning on when the remote is a very big setback in functionality, along with the button redesign it makes it very hard to use in the dark. The auto key light was the best feature of the previous model, why did they get rid of it??
Silver Problem Solver

@notoriusDUG wrote:
The backlight not automatically turning on when the remote is a very big setback in functionality, along with the button redesign it makes it very hard to use in the dark. The auto key light was the best feature of the previous model, why did they get rid of it??

No clue; I use both XR11 and XR15 remotes with my 4k DVR's and my companion XG2 box.  Both remotes should be free at your nearest Xfinity Store.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Worse now - no matter how I shake it or poke it, the light mostly won't come on. It's impossible to use in the dark. The old one had buttons you could use without looking at them. I hate the new version.  

New Poster

I hear you. I miss the mini-rewind buttons and sometimes I have to press power on or off 3 times as the TV and my AVR take turns reacting. The backlight not staying on more than a few seconds is ridiculous.
Silver Problem Solver

I hope everyone knows they can get free XR11 remotes at their nearest Xfinity Store and they work with the 4k box.  I use both XR11 and XR15 remotes with my 4k boxes.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Which buttons on the XR15 remote have the backlight?  Specifically, the power, on-off button, volume and channel buttons are missing the backlight. 

Gold Problem Solver

I am not sure why people fight with the XR15 remote. Just because it is newer doesn't make it better. The XR11 is a better designed remote in every way.

If you aren't using XR11 remotes please stop by a Comcast store and pick some up. Remotes are free of charge.  

@Kdwatters wrote:

Which buttons on the XR15 remote have the backlight?  Specifically, the power, on-off button, volume and channel buttons are missing the backlight. 

Expert

@Kdwatters wrote:

the power button is the top box at the top right edge of the face of the remote. It is not illuminate. channel number buttons and channel up/down are illuminated.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

So....

I am sitting here with an XR11 and XR15 both programmed to operate the same system. At the moment both of them are within 16 inches of my right hand.

The backlight on the XR11 stays on for about 3 seconds.
The backlight on the XR15 stays on for barely one second. Neither are acceptable.

As mentioned earlier, TV Power and All Power buttons do not light up the XR15. I am kinda wondering why.

No replay button on the XR15? Not a big deal really. I use the 30 second forward and 15 second back skip mode.

Can't see or feel the ABCD buttons and the directional arrows on the XR15? Big problem and bad design.

XR15 appears to have smaller IR database available than XR11??? They should at least be the same.

In my opinion, the ideal goal of a handheld "wand" style remote with hard bottons is to be able to navigate as much as possible with one thumb and not having to look at the remote.

If that is the ideal remote, the XR11 is a much better designed remote. I've said this before and I will say it again. Just because the XR15 is newer does not mean that it is better.