Community Forum

XG2

Contributor

Re: XG2

I think the biggest problem at Comcast is that different employees (even at the same level) have different information/knowledge about the equipment they are dealing with.  Now that could be the fault of Comcast for not properly training and/or requiring such employees to know their product; or it could be the fault of the employee for not learning the information.  Either way, it creates a level of disinformation that hurts a certain percentage of the consumer.  It is this last point -- only a certain percentage of users even care about the issues that we are discussing here -- that likely is driving Comcast's failure to provide accurate information.  That's unfortunate, but in some ways they can get away with it because we all have relatively limited choices for television program providers.

Problem Solver

@asmarks wrote:

I have my doubts as to whether or not the people who provided the hardware in the Comcast office really know all of the ins and outs of its capabilities.  They never told me they were giving me XG2 boxes even though I specifically asked for Xi3 boxes.  They also said that the Xi3 boxes would not work with voice control (which may be true, but is not the case for the XG2 boxes they gave me.  So they could also be wrong about whether or not the XG2 boxes take up a tuner on the main Arris DVR box.  This really is not an issue for me because I never record more than two programs at once and even two at once is rare.  So it would never be a problem for me or something I would discover unless I purposely did an experiment to check.

They must not know much there.. Both the Xi3 and XG2 support the voice remote

Contributor

That link notes the XG2 is limited to select trial markets. Does Comcast have a set list of cities/ regions where it trials products or does it vary? Apparently MI isn't trailing anything.
New Poster

The XG2 is a QAM and IP cloud DVR device. It has 4 tuners and supports the Xi3. You can have both and XG1 and a XG2 in the home with the XG2 as companion or client, add an Xi3 as a client, or simply have the XG2 and and Xi3. It is a Primary outlet with a Cable Card. If you want to record to the box however, you should stick with the XG1.

Silver Problem Solver

@ncrobin wrote:

The XG2 is a QAM and IP cloud DVR device. It has 4 tuners and supports the Xi3. You can have both and XG1 and a XG2 in the home with the XG2 as companion or client, add an Xi3 as a client, or simply have the XG2 and and Xi3. It is a Primary outlet with a Cable Card. If you want to record to the box however, you should stick with the XG1.

Hmm.  It sounds like the Xi4 and Xi6 are more intriguing.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/technology/comcast-tees-4k-box-bigger-4k-service/390434

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/comcast-prepping-hdr-capable-xi6-set-top-2016/2015-10-27

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@ncrobin wrote:

x1 DVRs have 6 tuners available to record now. Anyone with an original verion 1 pace only has 5 but can swap at any time to a newer version. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@dwrexv1307 wrote:
All,

I just got an email from my local comcast representative that she has just received some Samsung XG2 boxes. I recently switched to X1 and have one of the Arris boxes which is working great. Should I be an early adopter of the new XG2 box or wait for them to work out the kinks. What are the new features? Anyone have hands on experience with this box?

Could you please share contact details for your comcast rep? I'm trying to get the XG2 box but keep getting the typical run-around.

Contributor

Hi,

I don't remember the person's name now because it was so long ago, but it was a manager at the Comcast store in Newton, MA. It is one of the newer Comcast showrooms. They have always been helpful there to me. There is a new store in Burlington MA that I haven't been to yet, but wanted to try. 

Silver Problem Solver

@XG2 wrote:

@dwrexv1307 wrote:
All,

I just got an email from my local comcast representative that she has just received some Samsung XG2 boxes. I recently switched to X1 and have one of the Arris boxes which is working great. Should I be an early adopter of the new XG2 box or wait for them to work out the kinks. What are the new features? Anyone have hands on experience with this box?

Could you please share contact details for your comcast rep? I'm trying to get the XG2 box but keep getting the typical run-around.

Any chance you have a Comcast store in your area?  I got two XG2 boxes at mine.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

So I have an XG1 and two XG2's currently. Could I add an xi3 or xid in another bedroom and if so could I choose whether to have the xi3/xid to borrow a tuner from one of the XG2's rather than the XG1? Thanks.

Official Employee

@cldlhd wrote:

So I have an XG1 and two XG2's currently. Could I add an xi3 or xid in another bedroom and if so could I choose whether to have the xi3/xid to borrow a tuner from one of the XG2's rather than the XG1? Thanks.

Yes, the XiD automatically will take from the XG2

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Apparently the Xi3 will reach out to the XG2s first for a tuner but there is no way to control it.

I don't recall reading about anyone having tuner shortage issues. Like you, I have an XG1-A and two XG2s. I certainly haven't had any tuner shortages that I am aware of.

I would think you could add numerous Xi3s and you would not notice anything. You have 14 tuners available...

FYI, no need to be asking the same questions in multiple threads.............

@cldlhd wrote:

Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

Apparently the Xi3 will reach out to the XG2s first for a tuner but there is no way to control it.

I don't recall reading about anyone having tuner shortage issues. Like you, I have an XG1-A and two XG2s. I certainly haven't had any tuner shortages that I am aware of.

I would think you could add numerous Xi3s and you would not notice anything. You have 14 tuners available...

@cldlhd wrote:

Depends on how you look at it. If I get a couple of xid's and they grabbed tuners from my XG1-A  ( family watching tv on both ) and I was watching a live football game on the DVR then that would leave me with a maximum of 3 simultaneous recordings. That's probably the most I ever record at one time so not a big deal but all those tuners on the XG2's aren't available for recordings. As I already have 3 tv's set up ( 1 xg1 and 2 xg2's ) and I only anticipate having 4 tv's in the house it's probably a moot point but I'm a curious guy. 

Thanks for the answer Comcast Andrew.

Expert