Community Forum

XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

Was wondering about that as well, but until now I've never had these issues and have another Samsung tv that still works just fine.  It wasn't until replacing a tv in the bedroom for a new 4k we starting having this problem.  Now it's become a daily routine to disconnect and reconnect the hdmi cable.  Then all is well until the next day.  My hdmi cables are new, and I should not have to be doing this.

Regular Visitor

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...


@jjgcsb wrote:

I have been having this same reboot issue for many months. After looking at this thread and one titled “XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem”, I decided to change my XG1V4 update setting time because there might be a problem with the XG1V4 box when it tries to update itself and reconnect at night when my TV is asleep.

 

I changed my XG1V4 “xfinity/Settings/Preferences/General/Daily Update Time” to “12:00-2:00a” so all updates would occur after I went to bed and before my TV went into sleep mode. It has been over two weeks now and I have not had any more problems. You might want to try this work around and see if it helps your situation.


This is an update. My problems are back and my workaround did not help.

Contributor

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...


@jjgcsb wrote:

@jjgcsb wrote:

I have been having this same reboot issue for many months. After looking at this thread and one titled “XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem”, I decided to change my XG1V4 update setting time because there might be a problem with the XG1V4 box when it tries to update itself and reconnect at night when my TV is asleep.

 

I changed my XG1V4 “xfinity/Settings/Preferences/General/Daily Update Time” to “12:00-2:00a” so all updates would occur after I went to bed and before my TV went into sleep mode. It has been over two weeks now and I have not had any more problems. You might want to try this work around and see if it helps your situation.


This is an update. My problems are back and my workaround did not help.


Not to digress, but I believe the "daily update time" is another feature that does not work as stated. I've changed the update time several times, and it always referts to an early morning (2-3 AM ET) no matter what setting I choose.

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

One year after the original poster and people are still having this issue. I purchased a new 4K Insignia Fire TV for my bedroom about 2 months ago. 6 days ago, I decided to get a 4K capable cable box since the one I had wasn't 4K. The original box worked flawlessly. The new box has to be rebooted to work every time I use it, if it’s off for more than 30 minutes or so. I’m pretty knowledgeable when it comes to electronics. I tried everything under the sun to get the box to work correctly. Monday, just 2 days after I made the box exchange, a Comcast tech came out. He was very nice and helpful. He changed all of the connections on all of the cable lines, including those to my comcast phone line and WIFI router. He also installed an amp type splitter on the main cable line coming into the house. He turned the TV on and off a few times and it would work properly. I explained to him it has to be off for a few minutes before it will refuse to work properly.  Anyway, sure enough the next time I turned on the TV, no go. The following day I returned the box for an exchange. It’s the same model, and it has the same exact issue. Another tech person is scheduled to come back tomorrow. I’m not optimistic that the issue will be resolved. If not, I’m just going to go back to a non-4K box. I can still get 4K on the Fire apps if need be.

Contributor

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...


@JerseyBiker wrote:

One year after the original poster and people are still having this issue. I purchased a new 4K Insignia Fire TV for my bedroom about 2 months ago. 6 days ago, I decided to get a 4K capable cable box since the one I had wasn't 4K. The original box worked flawlessly. The new box has to be rebooted to work every time I use it, if it’s off for more than 30 minutes or so. I’m pretty knowledgeable when it comes to electronics. I tried everything under the sun to get the box to work correctly. Monday, just 2 days after I made the box exchange, a Comcast tech came out. He was very nice and helpful. He changed all of the connections on all of the cable lines, including those to my comcast phone line and WIFI router. He also installed an amp type splitter on the main cable line coming into the house. He turned the TV on and off a few times and it would work properly. I explained to him it has to be off for a few minutes before it will refuse to work properly.  Anyway, sure enough the next time I turned on the TV, no go. The following day I returned the box for an exchange. It’s the same model, and it has the same exact issue. Another tech person is scheduled to come back tomorrow. I’m not optimistic that the issue will be resolved. If not, I’m just going to go back to a non-4K box. I can still get 4K on the Fire apps if need be.


As I am sure you've seen throughout this old thread, no number of additional tech visits will fix your issue(s) as they are software related and quite specific to 4k boxes. You will get (or had) a tune up on your wiring plant (a good thing), and perhaps another opinion from the tech as to what is wrong (not so good). Changing boxes doesn't solve the problems for the same reasons (software), and you will lose recordings and settings by doing so.

 

Comcast's in-home techs and phone support staff apparently have very precise diagnosis and repair scripts and cannot deviate from them at all. The forum reps here seem to have a bit more freedom, but I have yet to see anyone affiliated with Comcast give any diagnosis of what is wrong and when it might be remedied.  The best I have seen is that Comcast is aware of some issues, that they appear to be related to power-conserving settings, and that they appear to affect larger screen sizes.  See post from ‎08-17-2019 11:31 AM for the "solution." My theory: -- it's buggy HDMI CEC software and related handshakes between devices.

 

There's a similar issue with Motorola gigabit modems used with Comcast internet. Everyone now knows the problem (as a poster went directly to Motorola to get a better diagnosis), but there is no ETA as to when or if the problem will ever be fixed. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

Thank you. Your reply is very helpful. I think I'm going back to a non-4K box until they resolve the problem.

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

Yes, I went through the same thing - 2 tech visits, and they both went over everything, but it didn't make a difference.

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

Today I returned the 4K box and got a regular DVR HD box. Everything is working normally. I have a Fire TV with lots of apps. I can get 4K content on Amazon Prime, Netflex, etc. If they ever fix the software issue or come out with a different 4K box, I'll give it a try.

New Poster

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

@ComcastKenF  Hi Ken, I tried to send you a private message as you requested but once clicking your name, I did not find an option on the next screen to send you a private message.

 

I have had this issue happening on every xfinity box in my house (total 4) since last May. I have to reboot every morning. None of my equipment has changed up to the time of this issue occuring. In my living room I do have a 4K large screen sony. I do have a sony audio reciever inbetween my primary xifinity box and my TV. I have read through this thread and made the recommended work around adjustments to my system and still have had no luck addressing this issue.

 

Since this issue started occuring back in May this year, I have been on crutches. Up until now, I have not been willing to debug this issue becuase my modem is upstairs in a closet, but I have been rebooting my primary xfinity box every day to maintain service. Back when the issue started occuring, I requested to move my service to 400 Mbps for internet and upgrade my cable package. At this time a new physical line drop was made at my house because the landscaper cut my line while digging. These are the changes that were made at that time and this issue has been occuring every since. Please let me know the best way to message you and I am happy to work through debugging this issue with your assistance.

 

Thank you,

 

Mark

Expert

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...


@ASB7985 wrote:

@ComcastKenF  Hi Ken, I tried to send you a private message as you requested but once clicking your name, I did not find an option on the next screen to send you a private message.

 

I have had this issue happening on every xfinity box in my house (total 4) since last May. I have to reboot every morning. None of my equipment has changed up to the time of this issue occuring. In my living room I do have a 4K large screen sony. I do have a sony audio reciever inbetween my primary xifinity box and my TV. I have read through this thread and made the recommended work around adjustments to my system and still have had no luck addressing this issue.

 

Since this issue started occuring back in May this year, I have been on crutches. Up until now, I have not been willing to debug this issue becuase my modem is upstairs in a closet, but I have been rebooting my primary xfinity box every day to maintain service. Back when the issue started occuring, I requested to move my service to 400 Mbps for internet and upgrade my cable package. At this time a new physical line drop was made at my house because the landscaper cut my line while digging. These are the changes that were made at that time and this issue has been occuring every since. Please let me know the best way to message you and I am happy to work through debugging this issue with your assistance.

 

Thank you,

 

Mark


at the top of the page (like where you are reading this) click on 'sign in'. once signed in the PM will work. this is same for the Kudo's thumbs up procedure.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

Thank you....got it!

New Poster

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

Hello ComcastKenF,

 

I am having similar issues that are being described on this thread..... but they are not exactly the same.  My box often freezes (almost daily) requiring a reboot.  In addition to that, my onDemand almost never plays without a reboot.  I can choose a program and hit ply but nothing happens other than me getting a black screen.

 

Does this sound related to that handshake issue?  

Like many others on this thread, I have A Samsung 4K TV.  I think the TV model is UN55JS7000.  

 

I'm also not certain I have the XG1v$ cable box.  According to the Xfinity ap, mmy device model # is CXD01ANI.

 

I have been through MANY differnet boxes (maybe 10).  We have had MANY tech's come out (at least 5).  Comcast agents love sending Refresh signals, so we've had Comcast send a signal refresh at least 25 times.  This is in spite of the fact that:

a.  We always explain that is not the problem

b.  We always explain we are perfectly capable that we can use the ap to do it ourselves

c.  Almost always explain that we recently did it

 

We have been dealing with this for over a year.  For whatever reason, however, the problem is getting worse.  We now need to refresh our system multiple times in one day.

 

I am really hoping you can help, because the customer support agents who handle phone calls have clearly not been briefed on this issue (or anything like it).

 

Thank you!

New Poster

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

Hello @ComcastKenF 

 

I am having similar issues that are being described on this thread..... but they are not exactly the same.  My box often freezes (almost daily) requiring a reboot.  In addition to that, my onDemand almost never plays without a reboot.  I can choose a program and hit ply but nothing happens other than me getting a black screen.

 

Does this sound related to that handshake issue?  

Like many others on this thread, I have A Samsung 4K TV.  I think the TV model is UN55JS7000.  

 

I'm also not certain I have the XG1v$ cable box.  According to the Xfinity ap, mmy device model # is CXD01ANI.

 

I have been through MANY differnet boxes (maybe 10).  We have had MANY tech's come out (at least 5).  Comcast agents love sending Refresh signals, so we've had Comcast send a signal refresh at least 25 times.  This is in spite of the fact that:

a.  We always explain that is not the problem

b.  We always explain we are perfectly capable that we can use the ap to do it ourselves

c.  Almost always explain that we recently did it

 

We have been dealing with this for over a year.  For whatever reason, however, the problem is getting worse.  We now need to refresh our system multiple times in one day.

 

I am really hoping you can help, because the customer support agents who handle phone calls have clearly not been briefed on this issue (or anything like it).

 

Thank you!

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

Hopefully this doesn't jinx me but.....

have not had to reboot in 4 weeks - even after 7 days away from home. I have changed nothing so maybe Comcast has fixed something and hasn't announced (quite possible) or maybe Samsung fixed something (also possible), anyway - just thought i'd mention this.

 

65 inch samsung ultra HD,  4K X1 box, Polk CommandBar Sound Bar.

HDMI from X1 box to TV,  HDMI from TV ARC to Polk SoundBar ARC .....love this TV & Soundbar.

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...


@jp4120 wrote:

Hopefully this doesn't jinx me but.....

have not had to reboot in 4 weeks - even after 7 days away from home. I have changed nothing so maybe Comcast has fixed something and hasn't announced (quite possible) or maybe Samsung fixed something (also possible), anyway - just thought i'd mention this.

Sounds promising. If more users find that the issue may have been resolved, I'll try the 4K box again. But I'll wait awhile for others to pipe in. I don't want to waste time and effort to the same end.

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

This could be promising, especially since you've had no issues for 4 weeks.  Yesterday was the first day in ages I didn't need to reboot.  The day before our service was out while they were working on our lines.  Time will tell.

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

We have improvement also. For more than two weeks now, we had to reboot only once. I hope that this is permanent.