Community Forum

XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

Was wondering about that as well, but until now I've never had these issues and have another Samsung tv that still works just fine.  It wasn't until replacing a tv in the bedroom for a new 4k we starting having this problem.  Now it's become a daily routine to disconnect and reconnect the hdmi cable.  Then all is well until the next day.  My hdmi cables are new, and I should not have to be doing this.

Regular Visitor

@jjgcsb wrote:

I have been having this same reboot issue for many months. After looking at this thread and one titled “XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem”, I decided to change my XG1V4 update setting time because there might be a problem with the XG1V4 box when it tries to update itself and reconnect at night when my TV is asleep.

I changed my XG1V4 “xfinity/Settings/Preferences/General/Daily Update Time” to “12:00-2:00a” so all updates would occur after I went to bed and before my TV went into sleep mode. It has been over two weeks now and I have not had any more problems. You might want to try this work around and see if it helps your situation.

This is an update. My problems are back and my workaround did not help.

Contributor

@jjgcsb wrote:

@jjgcsb wrote:

I have been having this same reboot issue for many months. After looking at this thread and one titled “XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem”, I decided to change my XG1V4 update setting time because there might be a problem with the XG1V4 box when it tries to update itself and reconnect at night when my TV is asleep.

I changed my XG1V4 “xfinity/Settings/Preferences/General/Daily Update Time” to “12:00-2:00a” so all updates would occur after I went to bed and before my TV went into sleep mode. It has been over two weeks now and I have not had any more problems. You might want to try this work around and see if it helps your situation.

This is an update. My problems are back and my workaround did not help.

Not to digress, but I believe the "daily update time" is another feature that does not work as stated. I've changed the update time several times, and it always referts to an early morning (2-3 AM ET) no matter what setting I choose.

Frequent Visitor

One year after the original poster and people are still having this issue. I purchased a new 4K Insignia Fire TV for my bedroom about 2 months ago. 6 days ago, I decided to get a 4K capable cable box since the one I had wasn't 4K. The original box worked flawlessly. The new box has to be rebooted to work every time I use it, if it’s off for more than 30 minutes or so. I’m pretty knowledgeable when it comes to electronics. I tried everything under the sun to get the box to work correctly. Monday, just 2 days after I made the box exchange, a Comcast tech came out. He was very nice and helpful. He changed all of the connections on all of the cable lines, including those to my comcast phone line and WIFI router. He also installed an amp type splitter on the main cable line coming into the house. He turned the TV on and off a few times and it would work properly. I explained to him it has to be off for a few minutes before it will refuse to work properly.  Anyway, sure enough the next time I turned on the TV, no go. The following day I returned the box for an exchange. It’s the same model, and it has the same exact issue. Another tech person is scheduled to come back tomorrow. I’m not optimistic that the issue will be resolved. If not, I’m just going to go back to a non-4K box. I can still get 4K on the Fire apps if need be.

Contributor

@JerseyBiker wrote:

One year after the original poster and people are still having this issue. I purchased a new 4K Insignia Fire TV for my bedroom about 2 months ago. 6 days ago, I decided to get a 4K capable cable box since the one I had wasn't 4K. The original box worked flawlessly. The new box has to be rebooted to work every time I use it, if it’s off for more than 30 minutes or so. I’m pretty knowledgeable when it comes to electronics. I tried everything under the sun to get the box to work correctly. Monday, just 2 days after I made the box exchange, a Comcast tech came out. He was very nice and helpful. He changed all of the connections on all of the cable lines, including those to my comcast phone line and WIFI router. He also installed an amp type splitter on the main cable line coming into the house. He turned the TV on and off a few times and it would work properly. I explained to him it has to be off for a few minutes before it will refuse to work properly.  Anyway, sure enough the next time I turned on the TV, no go. The following day I returned the box for an exchange. It’s the same model, and it has the same exact issue. Another tech person is scheduled to come back tomorrow. I’m not optimistic that the issue will be resolved. If not, I’m just going to go back to a non-4K box. I can still get 4K on the Fire apps if need be.

As I am sure you've seen throughout this old thread, no number of additional tech visits will fix your issue(s) as they are software related and quite specific to 4k boxes. You will get (or had) a tune up on your wiring plant (a good thing), and perhaps another opinion from the tech as to what is wrong (not so good). Changing boxes doesn't solve the problems for the same reasons (software), and you will lose recordings and settings by doing so.

Comcast's in-home techs and phone support staff apparently have very precise diagnosis and repair scripts and cannot deviate from them at all. The forum reps here seem to have a bit more freedom, but I have yet to see anyone affiliated with Comcast give any diagnosis of what is wrong and when it might be remedied.  The best I have seen is that Comcast is aware of some issues, that they appear to be related to power-conserving settings, and that they appear to affect larger screen sizes.  See post from ‎08-17-2019 11:31 AM for the "solution." My theory: -- it's buggy HDMI CEC software and related handshakes between devices.

There's a similar issue with Motorola gigabit modems used with Comcast internet. Everyone now knows the problem (as a poster went directly to Motorola to get a better diagnosis), but there is no ETA as to when or if the problem will ever be fixed. 

Frequent Visitor

Thank you. Your reply is very helpful. I think I'm going back to a non-4K box until they resolve the problem.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I went through the same thing - 2 tech visits, and they both went over everything, but it didn't make a difference.

Frequent Visitor

Today I returned the 4K box and got a regular DVR HD box. Everything is working normally. I have a Fire TV with lots of apps. I can get 4K content on Amazon Prime, Netflex, etc. If they ever fix the software issue or come out with a different 4K box, I'll give it a try.

New Poster

@ComcastKenF  Hi Ken, I tried to send you a private message as you requested but once clicking your name, I did not find an option on the next screen to send you a private message.

I have had this issue happening on every xfinity box in my house (total 4) since last May. I have to reboot every morning. None of my equipment has changed up to the time of this issue occuring. In my living room I do have a 4K large screen sony. I do have a sony audio reciever inbetween my primary xifinity box and my TV. I have read through this thread and made the recommended work around adjustments to my system and still have had no luck addressing this issue.

Since this issue started occuring back in May this year, I have been on crutches. Up until now, I have not been willing to debug this issue becuase my modem is upstairs in a closet, but I have been rebooting my primary xfinity box every day to maintain service. Back when the issue started occuring, I requested to move my service to 400 Mbps for internet and upgrade my cable package. At this time a new physical line drop was made at my house because the landscaper cut my line while digging. These are the changes that were made at that time and this issue has been occuring every since. Please let me know the best way to message you and I am happy to work through debugging this issue with your assistance.

Thank you,

Mark

Expert

@ASB7985 wrote:

@ComcastKenF  Hi Ken, I tried to send you a private message as you requested but once clicking your name, I did not find an option on the next screen to send you a private message.

I have had this issue happening on every xfinity box in my house (total 4) since last May. I have to reboot every morning. None of my equipment has changed up to the time of this issue occuring. In my living room I do have a 4K large screen sony. I do have a sony audio reciever inbetween my primary xifinity box and my TV. I have read through this thread and made the recommended work around adjustments to my system and still have had no luck addressing this issue.

Since this issue started occuring back in May this year, I have been on crutches. Up until now, I have not been willing to debug this issue becuase my modem is upstairs in a closet, but I have been rebooting my primary xfinity box every day to maintain service. Back when the issue started occuring, I requested to move my service to 400 Mbps for internet and upgrade my cable package. At this time a new physical line drop was made at my house because the landscaper cut my line while digging. These are the changes that were made at that time and this issue has been occuring every since. Please let me know the best way to message you and I am happy to work through debugging this issue with your assistance.

Thank you,

Mark

at the top of the page (like where you are reading this) click on 'sign in'. once signed in the PM will work. this is same for the Kudo's thumbs up procedure.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thank you....got it!

New Poster

Hello ComcastKenF,

I am having similar issues that are being described on this thread..... but they are not exactly the same.  My box often freezes (almost daily) requiring a reboot.  In addition to that, my onDemand almost never plays without a reboot.  I can choose a program and hit ply but nothing happens other than me getting a black screen.

Does this sound related to that handshake issue?  

Like many others on this thread, I have A Samsung 4K TV.  I think the TV model is UN55JS7000.  

I'm also not certain I have the XG1v$ cable box.  According to the Xfinity ap, mmy device model # is CXD01ANI.

I have been through MANY differnet boxes (maybe 10).  We have had MANY tech's come out (at least 5).  Comcast agents love sending Refresh signals, so we've had Comcast send a signal refresh at least 25 times.  This is in spite of the fact that:

a.  We always explain that is not the problem

b.  We always explain we are perfectly capable that we can use the ap to do it ourselves

c.  Almost always explain that we recently did it

We have been dealing with this for over a year.  For whatever reason, however, the problem is getting worse.  We now need to refresh our system multiple times in one day.

I am really hoping you can help, because the customer support agents who handle phone calls have clearly not been briefed on this issue (or anything like it).

Thank you!

New Poster

Hello @ComcastKenF 

I am having similar issues that are being described on this thread..... but they are not exactly the same.  My box often freezes (almost daily) requiring a reboot.  In addition to that, my onDemand almost never plays without a reboot.  I can choose a program and hit ply but nothing happens other than me getting a black screen.

Does this sound related to that handshake issue?  

Like many others on this thread, I have A Samsung 4K TV.  I think the TV model is UN55JS7000.  

I'm also not certain I have the XG1v$ cable box.  According to the Xfinity ap, mmy device model # is CXD01ANI.

I have been through MANY differnet boxes (maybe 10).  We have had MANY tech's come out (at least 5).  Comcast agents love sending Refresh signals, so we've had Comcast send a signal refresh at least 25 times.  This is in spite of the fact that:

a.  We always explain that is not the problem

b.  We always explain we are perfectly capable that we can use the ap to do it ourselves

c.  Almost always explain that we recently did it

We have been dealing with this for over a year.  For whatever reason, however, the problem is getting worse.  We now need to refresh our system multiple times in one day.

I am really hoping you can help, because the customer support agents who handle phone calls have clearly not been briefed on this issue (or anything like it).

Thank you!

Frequent Visitor

Hopefully this doesn't jinx me but.....

have not had to reboot in 4 weeks - even after 7 days away from home. I have changed nothing so maybe Comcast has fixed something and hasn't announced (quite possible) or maybe Samsung fixed something (also possible), anyway - just thought i'd mention this.

65 inch samsung ultra HD,  4K X1 box, Polk CommandBar Sound Bar.

HDMI from X1 box to TV,  HDMI from TV ARC to Polk SoundBar ARC .....love this TV & Soundbar.

Frequent Visitor

@jp4120 wrote:

Hopefully this doesn't jinx me but.....

have not had to reboot in 4 weeks - even after 7 days away from home. I have changed nothing so maybe Comcast has fixed something and hasn't announced (quite possible) or maybe Samsung fixed something (also possible), anyway - just thought i'd mention this.

Sounds promising. If more users find that the issue may have been resolved, I'll try the 4K box again. But I'll wait awhile for others to pipe in. I don't want to waste time and effort to the same end.

Frequent Visitor

This could be promising, especially since you've had no issues for 4 weeks.  Yesterday was the first day in ages I didn't need to reboot.  The day before our service was out while they were working on our lines.  Time will tell.

Frequent Visitor

We have improvement also. For more than two weeks now, we had to reboot only once. I hope that this is permanent.

Frequent Visitor

Now 6 weeks and counting -  have not needed to reboot due to the 4k box -  however.....

yesterday morning turned on the TV - nothing visibile for Comcast - blank screen - couldn't even find it on the source menu using the Samsung remote.  Of course i thought it was related to this issue so rebooted everything and then had to call our fav customer service line - and sit thru ads for redzone and wrestling PPV before i spoke to someone.....all things were fine.

So I switched my comcast HDMI connection into the Samsung TV from HDMI-1 to HDMI-2 - and Comcast connection worked fine.  I called Samsung customer service and they said do a cold reboot, leave the TV on and unplug, wait 30 secs, then re-connect......tried it today and HDMI-1 is now working again, if it fails again i may have Samsung come out - TV is covered for 5 years via Costco and its still in year 1 ...just thought i'd mention this as an FYI.

Regular Contributor

If it is a handshake issue, just disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable should force both ends to do it again and it should always work when both devices are already powered up and out of sleep mode.  After it worked in HDMI2, did you try moving it back to HDMI1? Or just a disconnect/reconnect on HDMI1?

Frequent Visitor

Still disconnecting and reconnecting here on a daily basis and sometimes 2X a day. 

Regular Contributor

Have you tried turning off sleep or low power modes on both devices?   I think the problem involves one or the other needing the handshake before the other is ready.

Frequent Visitor

I have not tried this.  Will need to figure out how to do it, but I will.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Frequent Visitor

I never got around to swapping the Comcast connection back to HDMI-1 from its new current spot HDMI-2,  my Apple TV is now connected into HDMI-1 and is working fine now. 

I guess i will try to switch it back when I finally connect my FireTV stick 4K (still in the box from Prime Day).  (holding off on connecting it cause not sure what it will give me that I don't already have from Comcast and from the SamSung smart TV.....anyone have any thoughts?)  The only thing Apple TV gives me that i use occasionally is simple streaming of my own downloaded movies via AirPlay from iTunes running on a PC.

Regular Contributor

If your movies are itunes purchases you shoud be able to connect both your itunes and comcast accounts to movies anywhere and have them show up in xfinity's saved>purchases.

Regular Visitor

<Edited>2.2 is not a format of HDMI 2.0a is the top 2.2 referrs to the amount for UHD formats the tv will accept it has nothing to do with the cale itself

Frequent Visitor

for some reason my original very tame response got flagged by an overzealous forum monitor. probably the same person that fixes comcast issues and decides how the comcast call tree works.

to rav1 - please clarify what you are referring to in your comment about HDMI

Frequent Visitor

joining the club

I didn't see this problem specifically, but I think it must be the same issue  Having recurring issues with the handshake between the X1 4k Xi4 box and my new LG OLED 77 C9. Sometimes, instead of connecting, i get a computer blue screen of death. This can be corrected (so far) by restarting the STB through the Xfinity my account app. But it recurs, even after switching the box, hdmi cable, and hdmi connection on TV.

Xfinity tech support is stymied and blames it on the LG display. I have started using the LG xfinity stream beta app as a work-around when the STB won't complete the handshake.

Contributor

I'm no professional, nor am I a technician. Have you tried plugging it into the Xbox one HDMI port (it may seem pointless but it's part of troubleshooting theory) , also have you tried a different AC outlet on a separate circuit? Sometimes there can be noise in the electrical lines and that can cause issues. I know it does with my Xfinity equip, it could also be your dropline, the amplifier on the lines is exposed to the elements and is upside down to where water gets inside of it and the line. When I had a tech come out it my house , first thing he checked was interior lines and second he checked the dropline (which was soaked with water ) . My input most likely won't help, but see if it works Smiley Wink, if not ask for a higher level tech.
Contributor

Could also be buggy firmware.
Contributor

You see that screen generally if the system is not in sync with the Comcast X1/RDK/XRE backend servers. Or if your firmware is out of date, make sure your cables don't have more than a 15 degree bend to them, causes more noise or something if there's a bend more than 15 degrees. If you get a chance, try a system refresh.
Frequent Visitor

Devices are not set to sleep or low power mode.  At a loss here and it's frustrating.

Frequent Visitor

I've got a similar problem. On my 3rd x1 box. First box worked like a champ for 6 months or so, set to 2160p@60Hz/Best Resolution. Then, one day, when I'd turn it on in the morning, I'd get gray static and snow, like the old TVs. A reboot set everything back to normal. I swtiched the box to another, and it too worked great for about 3 weeks, and then the same thing happened. I'm on my 3rd box, and same.

However, after a reboot, it displays in 2160@60Hz, and I'm able to watch 4K content through the x1 box (a few soccer and baseball matches).

I've tried a combination of things--Power Save on, Power Save off, revert back to HDMI 1.4 on the TV (my Roku Ultra reports 2160@60Hz on HDMI 1.4), but no luck. I'm switching out the Xfinity-supplied cable tonight for a high speed one.

But it does sound like a HDMI handshake issue was introduced in a firmware update to the x1 box.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@Jerry161 wrote:

switching out the Xfinity-supplied cable tonight for a high speed one.

I would like to know how this works out for you. Usually with HDMI cables, they work or not. Many of those high-speed cables that cost a mint are not really better than quality cables that are reasonabley priced. Monster cables for instance cost a fortune, but test show they are no better than cables that cost a quarter as much. I've tried several different cables, with the same result of having to reboot the 4K box to get it to work.  But if a new cable works for you, that is great, and maybe I'll revisit that.

Frequent Visitor

New cable and switch of hdmi port didn't help. I'm having a tech come over tomorrow to check levels into and out of the box, but I'm not expecting much.

Handshake worked when the X1 box was set to  2160@30Hz, but not 60Hz. I'm assuming it's something to do with the 60Hz signal the box is putting out.

In any case, my Roku puts out a 2160@60Hz HDR signal my TV accepts, and most 4K programming, like the World Series, is available streaming as well as on the X1. Worst comes to worst, I'll just set the X1 to 1080p and use the Roku for 4K.

New Poster

THIS IS NOT A 4K ISSUE.  MY TV IS ANCIENT AND I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME WONDERFUL ISSUE, REFRESH SIGNAL IS NOW PART OF MY MORNING ROUTINE LIKE FEEDING THE DOG, MAKING COFFEE ETC.

Regular Contributor

It is something different if it isn't 4k or disconnecting/reconnecting the HDMI cable doesn't wake it up.   Maybe you need to swap your box.

Silver Problem Solver

I've had my Vizio 4K TV for almost a year connected to my XG1v4 and I've never had to reboot the XG1v4.  I also have a Vizio soundbar.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

There's a set of TVs, not sure who makes them, but they share a firmware--I know of Westinghouse and Element brands--where the x1v4 box cannot handshake reliably at 2160@60Hz. You can get the box and the TV working together at, say, 1080p@60Hz, and then switch to 2160@60Hz and it works fine. It's just if you turn the TV off and back on at 2160@60Hz, you either get a black screen or gray static.

Regular Contributor

The likely explanation is that both devices go into sleep/low power mode and take different amounts of time to wake up - and thus miss the handshake request or response from the other when it is supposed to happen.   Aside from this being a bad bug, it is a reminder of the contempt that content owners have for their customers and their influence on legislators.  The reason this handshake is required is for the TV to prove it is not a recording device.  And that is more important to content owners and politicians than a customer being able to use the device he paid for to watch content he paid for.

Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:

I've had my Vizio 4K TV for almost a year connected to my XG1v4 and I've never had to reboot the XG1v4.  I also have a Vizio soundbar.

That's great for you, but what does it mean for us with that issue?

Frequent Visitor

@lesmikesell wrote:

The likely explanation is that both devices go into sleep/low power mode and take different amounts of time to wake up - and thus miss the handshake request or response from the other when it is supposed to happen.   

That sounds like the best explanantion. If it was an issue with the 4K boxes, probably more people would be having that problem. The same make and model of a TV could have units where something works a little different, that under most circumstances would not be an issue.  For example some units of the Insignia, the 4K that I own, may have an issue with handshake request  while others not.

Regular Contributor

You could check your TV vendor's support site to see if there is a firmware update. Turning off sleep/low power mode might help.  Or perhaps set the x1 box to output 720p or 1080 since there is little 4k content anyway.

Frequent Visitor

Problem has suddenly stopped. Unknown why but glad it did. Now having issues with WiFi dropping calls and slow speeds on IPads and some times no service message.Verizon said it was not their
problem ! I sometimes have to go outside to make calls now. I have new Xfinity modem also. Rebutting system
Works on hit or miss basis. Any ideas out there ?
Frequent Visitor

If I have to go down to 720. Why did I bother getting a 4K tv or 4K DVD player. I could have kept my Plasma
TV and heated my mancave with it to boot. 🙄😳 , besides dealing with high cable fees that keep going up.
Regular Contributor

You got your 4K TV mostly because it upscales existing content so well.   Other than the few sports events that are updated on this page https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/uhd-4k-faqs everything unique to xfinity is going to be delivered in 720 or 1080 and your fancy TV can probably upscale it better than the X1 box does.  And the TV  probably has native apps for Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon which would be the likely sources of most 4k content the X1 would deliver.  You might even get HDR on the TV's native YouTube app, which you won't on the X1 version.

Anyway, I'm not saying that is the way things should be, just that it might be less annoying to have to reset the output resolution for the rare times you have 4k content than to have to reboot the box or pull the hdmi cable and reconnect every time you turn the TV on.

Oh, one other thought:  does changing the TV to a different input and back wake it up?   If it does, that might be a quick workaround  that you could do from the X1 remote.

Frequent Visitor

just in case you are getting discouraged... we had the same issue for 8 months (since Jan 2019 when we got the Comcast 4k box)....of having to reboot 2 and 3 times per week....have not had to reboot in 10 weeks  

i can only assume Comcast or Samsung occasionally upgrade firmware to address items like this. 

65 inch samsung ultra HD,  4K X1 box, Polk CommandBar Sound Bar.

HDMI from X1 box to TV,  HDMI from TV ARC to Polk SoundBar ARC . 

Frequent Visitor

I too have a Polk sound system and love the voice adjustment. Hearing
Starting to go after years of abuse from occupation and past service as
A mortarman.
New Poster

I have to reboot the box weekly.  Its connected to my Vizio PQ65-F1.

Frequent Visitor

Still need to reboot daily.  Only the sound goes out.  The picture is always there.

Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem. Ever since I got the 4k box, we have to reboot it every day. It gets old quick.