Community Forum

XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1v4 requires reboot everyday...

Hope that works. This is getting old and tiresome.
Frequent Visitor

Was this issue ever resolved?
Frequent Visitor

@Not-PC wrote:

@Not-PC wrote:

We’ve been dealing with this issue since approximately October 2018.  We’re on our second box with the third one due in a few days.  There have been numerous calls about this and we have had visits from two Xfinity techs with no improvement.  The techs told us that signal strength, etc. is fine, so that excuse isn’t viable.  A colleague of one of the techs has the same issue at his home and just does the reboot every day.   Xfinity offers apologies but provide no solution.  We had no issues with the normal X-1 box and may have to return to that until Xfinity gets their 4K act together.

As suggested by one of the commentors that works for Comcast, I changed the settings on our TV so that it is not in the 'Eco' mode and checked to see that the XG1v4 box was not in the 'Eco' mode.  It worked this morning and we'll see how it does in the days to come.  If that is indeed the solution, that information should be shared with the Comcast employees that interface with the public.

Making sure that neither the TV or XG1V4 box are in the ‘Eco’ mode has helped.  

The TV has turned on without rebooting the box for the past several days, although we did have one instance that required a reboot when we returned to cable after streaming via Apple TV, even though the box had been working previously.  

If the ‘No Eco’ solution is truly the answer, it’s sad that it was never suggested during my numerous conversations with Comcast personnel during the past several months.

Frequent Visitor

@Studodds wrote:
Was this issue ever resolved?

We’ve seen improvement by making sure that neither the TV nor Cable Box are in the ‘Eco’ Mode.  If you’ve tried this and are still having issues, then it hasn’t been resolved for you.  Good luck. Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Not sure my fire tv will go into eco mode? Help me do that.
Frequent Visitor

@Studodds wrote:
Not sure my fire tv will go into eco mode? Help me do that.

It should not be in the Eco mode..plus, I don’t know anything about FireTV

Frequent Visitor

I can’t find power save or eco mode... to know if it is in or out.
Frequent Visitor

I can turn the sleep to “never” is that the same thing?
Frequent Visitor

@Studodds wrote:
I can turn the sleep to “never” is that the same thing?

That sounds right, ...hope it works for you.

Frequent Visitor

Turned the sleep mode to never. Still had to reboot cable box. 😩
Regular Visitor

I’ve been having the same issue as well every day for the last few weeks. I need to toggle the HDMI inputs or unplug the HDMI cable once a day. Very frustrating. I have the TCL 6 series and tried everything... but the only thing that works is toggling the HDMI inputs. This did not happen the first few months I had the XG1v4 (with same tv), but has been happening recently. There must’ve been a software update to the box that is causing the HDMI handshake issue. Will they be able to fix this in a future update? Have they acknowledged the issue?
Frequent Visitor

@modonn10 wrote:
I’ve been having the same issue as well every day for the last few weeks. I need to toggle the HDMI inputs or unplug the HDMI cable once a day. Very frustrating. I have the TCL 6 series and tried everything... but the only thing that works is toggling the HDMI inputs. This did not happen the first few months I had the XG1v4 (with same tv), but has been happening recently. There must’ve been a software update to the box that is causing the HDMI handshake issue. Will they be able to fix this in a future update? Have they acknowledged the issue?

Go back a few pages in this thread to find the post or posts by ‘ComcastMorgan’, and send a Private Message.  He or she seems like a Comcast employee that is interested in helping.  Good luck to you.

Frequent Visitor

Hi!

I've been having the same daily reboot problem for months.  XG1v4 box and Samsung 4K TV.  Worked fine for most of a year.  Then the intermittent problem started.  All turn on normally some days punctuated by days of having to unplug the box and replug to get things going.  Box and TV not on ECO or auto-off.  Definitely seems like a handshake issue.

Advice??

Expert

@CDM64 wrote:

Hi!

I've been having the same daily reboot problem for months.  XG1v4 box and Samsung 4K TV.  Worked fine for most of a year.  Then the intermittent problem started.  All turn on normally some days punctuated by days of having to unplug the box and replug to get things going.  Box and TV not on ECO or auto-off.  Definitely seems like a handshake issue.

Advice??

it is either a firmware (eventually fixable) or a hardware issue (probable v2 in future will fix and v1 might be fixed at repair center to version 2 if they go that way). since nothing has been said officially it appears to be hardware.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks!  What strikes me as odd is that the combination WORKED for about a year with no issues of this type.  Makes me really think firmware, as you'd noted.  A firmware "upgrade" that INTRODUCED the problem.

Expert

@CDM64 wrote:

Thanks!  What strikes me as odd is that the combination WORKED for about a year with no issues of this type.  Makes me really think firmware, as you'd noted.  A firmware "upgrade" that INTRODUCED the problem.

as a retired tech but not an engineer I have noticed posts that say their xg1v4 works fine never a problem when connected via HDMI to a sound bar or receiver and not directly to the TV. it is as if there is a difference. in HDMI parlance a TV's HDMI is a 'sink' (end of the video). perhaps their is a hardware or firmware issue related to a mismatch in specifications for signal when connected to the 'sink'. time will tell

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Still happens to me 2 or 3 times a week, doesn't matter if the last thing i watch is netflix, youtube, prime or an regular Comcast cable channel.  New twist is that suddenly the comcast connection stops mid viewing - its not the samsung because the samsung native menue is still there, so its definitely our beloved comcast.  the only bright side to this nonsense is my wife may finally let me cut the cord and just pay comcast or verizon for internet and stop paying $240/mth aka $3000/yr.  If it was up to me i would hop from Verizon to Comcast and pay $60/mth intro rates for internet only...but that day is coming.  the fix is always the same - reboot the F-ING HD box.....i don't feel any  happier knowing this happens to others and those dopes still can't fix it.

65 inch samsung ultra HD,  4K X1 box, Polk CommandBar Sound Bar.

HDMI from X1 box to TV,  HDMI from TV ARC to Polk SoundBar ARC .....when it works its all the sound and video we need.

Regular Visitor

I have been having this same reboot issue for many months. After looking at this thread and one titled “XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem”, I decided to change my XG1V4 update setting time because there might be a problem with the XG1V4 box when it tries to update itself and reconnect at night when my TV is asleep.

I changed my XG1V4 “xfinity/Settings/Preferences/General/Daily Update Time” to “12:00-2:00a” so all updates would occur after I went to bed and before my TV went into sleep mode. It has been over two weeks now and I have not had any more problems. You might want to try this work around and see if it helps your situation.

Frequent Visitor

will give that a try....why can't we get that type of tip from our beloved Comcast.....please post in 30 days cause i've had good 2 weeks then it comes back....

Expert

is it possible to connect the xg1v4 to a sound bar or receiver instead of the TV to see if the problem goes away?

Frequent Visitor

I tried something on the 4th (a week ago)...in the external device settings on the Samsung 4K UHD/HDR TV; I turned off the UHD radio button.  Haven't had the X1 box 'fail' any morning since.  Perhaps just coincidence, but wondering.  And do have a very nice HDMI cable that is supposedly rated 4K UHD/HDR, so betting that's not the problem.  Fingers crossed!

Expert

@CDM64 wrote:

I tried something on the 4th (a week ago)...in the external device settings on the Samsung 4K UHD/HDR TV; I turned off the UHD radio button.  Haven't had the X1 box 'fail' any morning since.  Perhaps just coincidence, but wondering.  And do have a very nice HDMI cable that is supposedly rated 4K UHD/HDR, so betting that's not the problem.  Fingers crossed!

with new firmware I am now on day 3 without a single 'no signal' issue. they may have fixed it or it is a coincidence.

edit: 8/13 day 5 still no 'no signal' issue. time will tell.

edit: 8/16 day 8 still working.  time seems to have ruled fixed.

Frequent Visitor

give it 2 weeks before popping champagne but i am hopeful you have fixed it cause i have a Samsung also

Regular Visitor

So just to add onto this long list, I've also been having the same issue for the last few weeks. This never happened before this time and I have not changed my TV, Cable Box, HDMI cables or anything else so whatever firmware was pushed out seems to have caused the issue.

The only fix for me has been to either manually pull the power input out from the box and plug it back in or manually restart the box using the Xfinity app. 

I have a TCL series TV, the XG1v4 cable  box and Sonos Beam soundbar. The HDMI cable goes from the cable box to the TV and I have another HDMI cable from the TV ARC input going to the Sonos Beam.

My TCL TV defaults to the cable tv input and I didn't have a problem for the first year or so of having the box but in the past few weeks I have been seeing the dreaded "No Signal" message when I turn on the TV. 

Hopefully @ComcastMorgan  or @ComcastKenF or @ComcastElla  can help out. I'm naming them as I've seen them post recently in this thread.

Frequent Visitor

Did you get charged for the service call too? I have had the same experience to the T. They are going to get a big surprise when we all decide it’s time to just cut the cord. Time to change someone in Consumer Relations and whomever
Is messing with the software upgrades.
Frequent Visitor

I've been error-free since the 4th after having disabled the HMDI 1 (X1 box) UHD setting in the external devices menu on the Samsung 4K HDR TV.  That said, the scientist in me is desperately tempted to turn that feature back on now and see how things go...especially having heard another on the forum believes a very recent firmware update may have helped.  (Yes, it's possible that my "fix" didn't do anything but is just coincident with a firmware update that did help!)  :-)

Frequent Visitor

I see this has been an issue for well over a year!  And no resolution yet?  I too am resetting the box daily.  I've done chat sessions and all the steps they suggest, I've had 2 visits from technicians, I've had 3 different boxes.  Still, this remains an issue, and a frustrating one at that.  We shouldn't be dealing with this for so long without a fix when we are paying plenty for the service.  Hope we'll see a post when this is resolved.

Frequent Visitor

I have had the same problem and there has been little progress in remedying it.  But I may be able to provide some insight. 

To start, I have Samsung 65” 4k UHD TV.  The XG1v4 is connected directly to HDMI1 of the TV.

1. We have had 8 service visits from Xfinity and the following has been done.

2. The box was exchanged twice – no improvement.

3. Eco/sleep mode was turned off – no improvement.

4. Old or loose cable fittings were replaced – no improvement.

5. A second set top box (not 4K, no DVR). This resulted in that the 3 secondary TVs of the house now always have picture, even when the 4k box fails and the directly connected TV picture has no picture.

6. New underground coaxial cable was installed.  This was done because the cable outside the house was very long, resulting in a signal drop of 6dB from the pedestal to the house.  The serviceman said this was way too much signal loss for the set top box to work properly.

The replacement of the underground cable did result in some improvement. We now have to reboot in every few days only, not daily. 

We then received a follow-up service from Xfinity.  They opined that the need to reboot the XG1v4 every few days was still not what it should be; we should not have to reboot at all (I agree).  However they were unable to do anything else to solve the problem.

Given that our secondary TVs which get a signal boost from the non-4K set top box always have picture while the XG1v4 fails regularly, I surmise that the problem is the following.

XG1v4 is a sensitive device and requires a better signal than the old set top boxes.  It works under optimal conditions but it fails when those are not met.  The XG1v4 is based on a defective design.

As a matter of fact, two senior servicemen from Xfinity told me during two service visits that they are well aware of that the XG1v4 is bad and they themselves would not use it.  They advised me to give it back and go back to the old non-4K box.  I refused to do this because I feel that I am entitled to a properly working 4K DVR that Comcast advertised and provided to me when they first introduced their 4K broadcast at the time of the last Olympic games.

I strongly believe that Comcast/Xfinity should publicly admit that the XG1v4 has a problem and indicate what their plan is to fix it.  I can imagine that this would put a dent in their profits but we are paying for a service that is supposed to be error-free.

I would appreciate if one of the Comcast employees online in this forum would comment.

Frequent Visitor

not fixed via firmware for me

65" Class NU800D Premium Smart 4K UHD TV (Dec  2018) - Dec 2018comcast 4k DVR box - polk audio command soundbar  - HDMI from 4k box to TV - HDMI from TV ARC to Polk ARC

never impacted my other 3 comcast non-4k boxes even when the 4k box crashes.  happens 2 or 3 times a week still, sometimes in the middle of watching a program it will freeze then go into the wellcome bievenido nonsense that we all love to hate..

i am assuming 4k box is flawed - and can't function without extra strong signal - geniuses at Comcast are hard at work round the clock figuring out how to raise prices and reduce service (like Cinemax) vs fixing this.

Frequent Visitor

I agree with your point. I hope you did not have to pay for all those visits. They charged me for the visit and never corrected the problem and tried to blame it on the tv..
Frequent Visitor

I have been a Long time customer and experienced the same run around .Corporate seems to need a
Wake up call with a Class Action suit.
Anyone a lawyer out there?
Frequent Visitor

I made sure there would be no charges on my statement for the tech services.

Regular Visitor

So the latest that I’ve found is that taking out the hdmi cable from the back of the cable box and plugging it back in does make it work again.
And also, everything seems to work just fine the first time that the tv is turned on each day with the tv and cable box working perfectly. It’s the second time and every time after that when I see the “no signal” warning from the cable box.
Regular Visitor

And yes, I also just noticed that Cinemax was taken away with no advance notice or warning from customer support.
Frequent Visitor

We never see the "no signal" message, only black screen.  Reconnecting the HDMI does bring the picture back in our case.  Only the restart via Xfinity app or disconnecting and reconnecting the power to the box helps.

Silver Problem Solver

@mwallerce wrote:
And yes, I also just noticed that Cinemax was taken away with no advance notice or warning from customer support.

Was Cinemax mentioned in any of your Comcast statements?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

My desire for a box functioning in a (fingers crossed) stable fashion outweighs my scientific interest in turning on the UHD color radio button once again to test if the daily reboot would again be needed.  Box has been stable for over a dozen days now (i.e., no daily cold reboots - unplugging from power and restarting).  It's such a relief for me or family to turn on the TV and just...have...it...work!

Regular Visitor

@Currahee71   -- You should not be paying for a service call visit if there is a problem with a no signal (or any other) issue. Especially if it was not fixed...Have you disputed the charge on one or both of those bases?

@Currahee71 wrote:
I agree with your point. I hope you did not have to pay for all those visits. They charged me for the visit and never corrected the problem and tried to blame it on the tv..

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi All, 

The handshake issue with the xg1v4 has been reported to our engineering teams. 

For now, a few folks on the forums have found workarounds by disabling eco saver mode on the TV and on the cable box and/or disabling UHD on their TVs. From what I've seen on the forums, the issue seems to apply to select larger screen TVs. 

If you have disabled UHD and power saving mode and have attempted to swap the HDMI already, please reach out to me so we can troubleshoot. I'll need access to your account and the provisioning behind your cable box so please send me a private message with your full name for help. Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right hand side.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

@ahu1 wrote:

We never see the "no signal" message, only black screen.  Reconnecting the HDMI does bring the picture back in our case.  Only the restart via Xfinity app or disconnecting and reconnecting the power to the box helps.

The "no signal" message is generated by the TV, so it may vary on what it says or if its there at all.  Most of us who are reporting that message see it on Samsung TV's (at least we do on our two Samsungs).

Since there is no signal coming from the Comcast box, there will be nothing to display from it.

For all: the essence of this issue is that there is some sort of time out on the Xfinity 4K box that kills the 4K box's HDMI output. Whether it's a sleep function on the box, on the TV, a combination of them or something else is not clear.   Further, the protocol for the sleep function is not fully agreed and implemented by all of the vendors. There is also some governement-related Energy Star work pending on cable boxes --- most of them save only 1 or 2 watts when in so-called "power save" mode. All that the Comcsat 4K box does in power save mode is turn off the front LED and the HDMI output -- the tuners and hard drives keep ussing electricity (up to 250 watts per box) 24 hours a day.

I've asked many times why we need a hard drive and multuple always-on tuners in a cable box with a cloud-based DVR like Comcast offers,  but so far no reasonable answers.  Ideas?

Here's some detail on Comcast box energy savings potential:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/set-top-box-energy-usage

Industry chatter:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120512100206/http://www.ncta.com/ReleaseType/MediaRelease/US-Cable-Ind...

and the protocol (HDMI CEC):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control

Official Employee

I've asked many times why we need a hard drive and multuple always-on tuners in a cable box with a cloud-based DVR like Comcast offers,  but so far no reasonable answers.  Ideas?

VaDeltahChi, the hard drive is for those who prefer internal storage. Cloud storage is an add on feature of the DVR service. The Always on Tuners are for satellite xi boxes in the home. They all use a tuner (one of the 6 on the DVR) in order to watch live content and schedule recordings with the mother box (the DVR). If you don't have xi boxes, the other tuners are for scheduling DVR recordings simultaneously.

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

How can I send a private message?

Frequent Visitor

So this sounds just like what I'm experiencing.  Although I don't have the same box.  Mine is for a 4k Samsung tv in a bedroom, so it's a secondary box, XiDX1.

Frequent Visitor

disconnecting/reconnecting the cable on a daily basis is a fix, but certainly not what we should have to be doing.

Frequent Visitor

Hand shake issue has to be addressed.
Frequent Visitor

They said that tech said it was problem with my newer Samsung 4K Tv . Not the new box . Everything was fine until they did an upgrade to my box and modem. No help from local Comcast / Xfinity store.
Frequent Visitor

I'd posted that I turned off the UHD for HDMI 1 on my Samsung 4K UHD TV on August 4th, and the box hadn't required rebooting since then.  STILL TRUE.  Yeah!

I've got the X1 box, the TV, a Samsung soundbar+subwoofer+rear speakers (MS650 series bar), Apple TV 4K, and a Blueray player all hooked through the TV.  And, yep, no eco saver items on.

I had been very frustrated for a long time and now am feeling optimistic.  Hope this might work for others, too.  (The UHD radio buttons are in the external devices menu on the Samsung TV.)

All said, though, this seems like a very goofy handshaking problem that shouldn't happen.

Frequent Visitor

I have "HDMI UHD Color" buttons for each HDMI input. Doesn't turning them off degrade the picture? 

Silver Problem Solver

@ahu1 wrote:

I have "HDMI UHD Color" buttons for each HDMI input. Doesn't turning them off degrade the picture? 

You should try it and see; every model TV doesn't work the same way.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

The problem is Samsung. I have had nothing but problems out of Samsung TVs