Community Forum

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

Gold Problem Solver

Re: TV and new DVR losing hardwired connection

In my opinion there is more than one fix that needs to happen here. First of all, Comcast needs to figure out why the picture quality of the XG1V4 is MUCH better when set to 1080p. They may already know why. At this point there is ABSOLUTLEY NO REASON to set the XG1V4 to 4k. The picture quality is much too soft, even when watching 4k Netflix.

My opinion is if Comcast figures out why the XG1V4 picture quality when set to 4k is so poor, they will also discover the handshake issue at some point.

Repeating myself, I support the XG1V4 because it is small and it runs cool and quiet. It is easily the fastest responding X1 box I have tried. It probably has the best 1080p picture I have seen from an X1 box. 

But it is FAR from perfect...

@jmg1951 wrote:

There is no answer , were all waiting for a fix from Comcast. I think all of us have done everything possible for a work around and some have been successful and some not so much. Were all just waiting for a Comcast fix so that the 4k box can be used like it was intended.

Most Valued Poster

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

The summary is accurate. setting my 4K DVR to 1080p has improved the quality of the picture and color of the TV. It's been about a week since I changed my DVR settings and so far I haven't had any connection problems with the TV.

OK So setting the DVR to 1080P stopped the problem with the DVR not recognizing the TV. It also improved the quality of the picture. So although the HDMI cable I had was rated to 4K I purchased a slightly better cable (a premium 4K cable from MonoPrice) which now allows me to set the TV to 4K UHD and the quality of the color did not deteriorate. Now I will leave the TV set to 4K UHD and see if the recognition problem returns or whether the cable upgrade has solved it. (I don't think the cable upgrade will solve the problem but I thought it would be an interesting experiment).

Highlighted
Contributor

Maybe premature but git upgrade to 97.1.4 without any issue!!!!! And it’s been ok for a few days. Could it be fixed? I’ll keep you all informed.
BTW - power saver was on and working.
Contributor

Not fixed for me. I got 97.1.4 also and now my Samsung opens up to a blue screen every morning  but I don't need to restart the cable box , I just turn off the tv and turn it back on and the picture is there. Keep trying Comcast, one of these years you will get it right!

Most Valued Poster

You folks are way ahead of me. I just got 97.1.3 a couple of days ago, it says time stamped 4/10 but I think I checked just a couple of days ago and I was still on 97.1.2.

Update on my disconnect issue. I have the better grade HDMI cable attached for 3 days now and the TV and DVR set to 4K best available and so far no disconnect problem. I have to admit that the picture quality has improved as well.

Most Valued Poster

Update 97.1.4 showed up early this morning 4/25 although it is dated 4/16. I will check the TV connected to the 4K DVR to see if the connection issue has returned.

Contributor

I have been testing 97.1.3 for the last 4 days with it still black or blue screen at turn on but found that turning the tv on and off 3 times then letting it sit off for 30 mins and then turning it on works everytime and I get a picture.It will also work if I restart the cable box like we've been doing for over a year now ! I read your comments that you received 97.1.4 so I check mine and I also got that revision. So even with that latest revision I got the same results this morning  as 97.1.3 , not a fix for me, I'll try it for another 3 or 4 days before I turn my HDMI Color off. Yea Comcast, you failed again!!!

Most Valued Poster

It's been 5 days since I put in the new HDMI premium cable . And the TV received the software upgrade  to 97.1.4 last night and so far the TV DVR connection has worked perfectly. The TV is set to HDR and the DVR is set to 4K 2180p60 which is the best setting available for my Samsung 4K TV. I can't prove it is the new HDMI cable but I did expect the connection to fail whenever Comcast did a new software update and it didn't. My old HDMI cable were MonoPrice 4K rated cables and only 1 year old so I thought buying the Monoprice "premium" cable for 4K wasn't going to make any difference (I'm not trying to push MonoPrice cables but I am kicking myself b/c the new Premium cable only costs $5 so I had all these problems b/c I wouldn't spend $5!!!) and I'm still not sure that the new cable is the reason. I guess I could put the old cable back on to see if the problem comes back but I'm going to wait another week with the new cable and see if the problem comes back and if not I'll put the old cable on to see if the problem returns or if the "fix" has nothing to do with cables but maybe Comcast fixed it in an update.

Contributor

I've been using a HDMI 2.1( which supports 8K)  cable since January and made no difference for me. I'ts funny that Comcast use to call me everytime a update was sent out to see my results but I I've haven't heard from them in over 6 weeks! I guess since I'm not making noise about the problem they think I'm going away! Being a retired Areospace Engineer and dealing with different branches of the Government daily I think it's time to escalate this to a higher level than Comcast .I'm  sure this has been done before but bad publicity is not appreciated by large companies even though it  probably won't fix the problem since it"s been going on for almost 2 years without Comcast being overconcerned .

Most Valued Poster

More than likely they stopped calling you because their automated reminder system just checked you off as solved because the outstanding item had been open longer than the limit set in the system. That is how I find life. Things happen because of other circumstances. Or maybe the guy calling you is on vacation or quit his job. In any event this thread is so long I forget all the details . I assume you have switched boxes a couple of times and that  your lines are balanced etc.  

If I don't have the problem in a week I will switch cables just to see if the problem comes back. Have you tried using a different HDMI input port on your TV? Is there a possibility that the input port you are using is quirky and a different port may fix the problem? Good luck I know how frustrating this stuff can get.

Contributor

I'm on my 3rd box, 1 set of 2.1 HDMI cables, 1 set of 2.2 HDMI cables wich I'm using now. I have 4 HDMI inputs on my TV and have tried everyone of them with the same negative results. I called Samsung months ago and they were very familiar with the problem and immediatley stated it was a Comcast 4k cable box problem and there is nothing they can do but tell me to turn the HDMI color off on that input which did work for me.They also stated that they grt calls everyday about this problem so its wide spread. 

Gold Problem Solver

Well.... My LG OLED does not have this issue and many people complaining about this issue appear to have Samsung TVs so let's be careful about where we assign blame.

Funny but Sony owners were complaining about issues like this but it seems to have stopped.
Frequent Visitor

My 4 month old LG Ultra HD has the same issue. I had to turn off the Ultra HD setting or I would lose the picture and have to unplug and replug in the HDMI to reset it, only fo it to go out again.

Gold Problem Solver

I turned the Ultra HD setting off then back on again (toggled) and I have never seen this issue.

Repeating myself.
1. I leave my X1 boxes turned on 24-7-365.
2. I do not use any power save or Eco features.
3. I do not use ARC.
4. I do not use HDMI-CEC features.
5. I use very high quality HDMI cables.
Contributor

So far, problem has disappeared on my Samsung. 97.1.14 4/16/19
Box is set to power down which is working. UhD is off to port, picture setting on highest uhd setting.
Maybe the key is the power saver and the upgrade. Fingers crossed. Been a week.
Gold Problem Solver

I have said this before and I will say it again. You folks are SERIOUSLY over thinking Comcast software and firmware updates and version numbers in regards to X1.
Contributor

You are positively correct that Samsung TV's  exhibit the problem more than any other manufacturer but nobody should have this problem if the manufacturer of the XG1V4 did thorough enough testing before marketing this device to Comcast. You also can't place all the blame on Comcast since the manufacturer of the XG1V4 should be making this fix top priority sinces  they are selling thouisands of these boxes to Comcast. It's not the TV manufactures olbligation to build their TV's to be capatable with this XG1V4 since I suspect no other cable box manufacture is having compatability issues . We can talk about this forever but there is nothing we can do but use our work arounds since Comcast has the ball ,not us.

Contributor

Comcast are the people who told us that they were issuing software/firmware updates to fix the problem. If this is not what we should be hoping for what else is there, for them to exchange our hardware? 

Frequent Visitor

Yesterday morning I took the gamble on my LG and switched the Ultra HDMI to on. So far so good. Then went to menu, apps to netflix. searched 4k shows, it comes up HDR and no picture loss so far. Fingers crossed Comcast solved it!

Contributor

@jmg1951 wrote:

Comcast are the people who told us that they were issuing software/firmware updates to fix the problem. If this is not what we should be hoping for what else is there, for them to exchange our hardware? 

After seeing comments about the recent update I turned the UHD to the X1 HDMI port back on to see if it fixed the issue on my system.    Having it off resolved the problem as you had suggested.  It is now working with the UHD back on  No problem any longer with the HANDSHAKE problem.   Don’t know why it is now working for my Samsung TV and not others But “I’ll take it”. Following this forum  for this issue has been very helpful.  Thanks for the help 

Gold Problem Solver

The problem with this solution is that at least in the case of an LG OLED turning off UHD HDMI Color also shuts off HDR capability which I consider unacceptable.
Frequent Visitor

I just turned my Ultra HD back on, and so far its working with the new update. I'm also using a fiberoptic HDMI cable

Gold Problem Solver

I know that there is a lot of people out there who honestly believe that all HDMI cables are the same.

I know otherwise. There is most definitely picture quality, sound quality and compatibility differences in HDMI cables.

I was fortunate to aquire some high end Audioquest HDMI cables and they are fantastic.
Frequent Visitor

I spoke too soon........ it went out last night, so I switched the Ultra HDMI back off. Bummer!

Contributor

@rlee131 wrote:

@jmg1951 wrote:

After seeing comments about the recent update I turned the UHD to the X1 HDMI port back on to see if it fixed the issue on my system.    Having it off resolved the problem as you had suggested.  It is now working with the UHD back on  No problem any longer with the HANDSHAKE problem.   Don’t know why it is now working for my Samsung TV and not others But “I’ll take it”. Following this forum  for this issue has been very helpful.  Thanks for the help 

Well I spolke to soon.  The handshake issue came back today.  Previously I would experience the issue every 2 to three days.  This time I went for 12 days so I thought it was FIXED so I  posted that it was working.   WRONG today back to the same problem.  Many months now so I suspect it will never get fixed.

New Poster

Re: XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I am having the same issue, i have to pull the power cord for the XG1V4 or switch the hdmi to a different tv port. My tv is a Vizio and it did this to two different models of tv , i even switched out the XG1V4 and it still does it, xfinity support told me the issue wasn't on there end, looks like it is. This is driving me insane.
Gold Problem Solver

Have you tried the steps posted earlier in this thread?

@garagedays wrote:
I am having the same issue, i have to pull the power cord for the XG1V4 or switch the hdmi to a different tv port. My tv is a Vizio and it did this to two different models of tv , i even switched out the XG1V4 and it still does it, xfinity support told me the issue wasn't on there end, looks like it is. This is driving me insane.

Most Valued Poster

Is everyone still on version 97.1.4? no new updates? We can't blame a new update that started the problem up again?

Contributor

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

Is everyone still on version 97.1.4? no new updates? We can't blame a new update that started the problem up again?

That’s the update I’m on. Like I said previously.  That update fixed my issue for maybe 12 days.  Then it started again.  Been dealing with for many months.  See my posts since January.  Thought it was fixed but was wrong. 

Most Valued Poster

It sounds wierd to me that an update would fix the problem and then it would stop after 12 days without something else changing. Did you make any other adjustments since then? There has to be some other reason that the problem returned.

Contributor

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

It sounds wierd to me that an update would fix the problem and then it would stop after 12 days without something else changing. Did you make any other adjustments since then? There has to be some other reason that the problem returned.

I did not make any changes to my system.  Previously, the problem would take place every 2 or 3 days.   Meaning everthing worked fine with the UHD turned on for a few days then I would have to restart the X1 to get the picture on the TV.   Today I turned on the system and no problem.  I will let the forum know if I am once again experiencing the same issue evry 2/3 days  know it looks like that patten is happening   Time will tell

Most Valued Poster

My Comcast boxes shutdown almost every night for software updates few of which change the software version so maybe one of those nightly updates did change something in your box that brought back the problem. I always assumed that it was those nightly updates that caused my reconnect problems. That is it wasn't the software update but the process of a download restart of the boxes that caused the problem. And I still believe it was my cables that cured the problem. But I will try and prove my theory in a few days when I put the old cables back on and see if the problem returns. As of now I still have the 97.1.4 version and my new cables have made my picture quality even better so I am reluctent to go back but in the pursuit of scientific inquiry I will try the experiment.

Do you have the Xfinity My Account app and when you check are you seeing the Comcast box that is causing the problem with a green dot or is it red? (Sorry if I am covering old ground I have read this whole thread but I don't remember who was having which problem and the thread is too long togo back to reread it. Sorry.)

Also I live in an apartment building and previously I had a weak signal that was outside the range. When Comcast came out to test it they added an amplifier to my line which put my whole system back in range and fixed a number of old problems. When I went into Comcast Labs and ran the signal strength test I wouldn't get an answer. Now it always results in a good signal strength report. Are you having any problems with signal strength?

Gold Problem Solver

WSM,

The signal meter app in Comcast labs is nearly pointless. It tests only incoming DOCSIS levels. It does not test the linear cable frequencies and it does not test anything outgoing (upstream). 

That meter could give you a great reading but you could still have serious signal issues. 

People need to learn how to use the signal meters in the diagnostic menu... It provides MUCH more valuable information. 

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

My Comcast boxes shutdown almost every night for software updates few of which change the software version so maybe one of those nightly updates did change something in your box that brought back the problem. I always assumed that it was those nightly updates that caused my reconnect problems. That is it wasn't the software update but the process of a download restart of the boxes that caused the problem. And I still believe it was my cables that cured the problem. But I will try and prove my theory in a few days when I put the old cables back on and see if the problem returns. As of now I still have the 97.1.4 version and my new cables have made my picture quality even better so I am reluctent to go back but in the pursuit of scientific inquiry I will try the experiment.

Do you have the Xfinity My Account app and when you check are you seeing the Comcast box that is causing the problem with a green dot or is it red? (Sorry if I am covering old ground I have read this whole thread but I don't remember who was having which problem and the thread is too long togo back to reread it. Sorry.)

Also I live in an apartment building and previously I had a weak signal that was outside the range. When Comcast came out to test it they added an amplifier to my line which put my whole system back in range and fixed a number of old problems. When I went into Comcast Labs and ran the signal strength test I wouldn't get an answer. Now it always results in a good signal strength report. Are you having any problems with signal strength?

Most Valued Poster

I'd love to be able to run diagnostics. If you have a link to a tutorial on how to do it please post it. Thanks.

Gold Problem Solver

MSW it has been posted in this forum countless times.

1. Press EXIT for about 5 seconds.
2. Quickly press the down arrow button twice.
3. Quickly press the "2" button once.
4. Wait for a few seconds then have fun with your new toy.
Gold Problem Solver

This is exactly what X1 signals should look like.

1. No codeword errors. 0 is best.
2. SNR above 35. Higher is better.
3. Upstream power in the low 40's. Lower is better. 51 is too high.
4. Downstream power between - 8 and +8. Personally I think the higher side is better.
5. MOCA diagnostics should be 220
Over 250 is best.

IMAG0335.jpg
IMAG0336.jpg
IMAG0337.jpg
Gold Problem Solver

Important to understand that these screens display a good amount valuable information but as I have said countless times before in this forum is the only person who can test ALL critical X1 signals is a tech who is on site with the appropriate test gear.
Most Valued Poster

Thanks for all that info. Is there any special trick to get out of the diagnostics? I don't want to be stuck in the twilight zone permanently.  :>)

Gold Problem Solver

Just press exit.

What do your signal levels look like?

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

Thanks for all that info. Is there any special trick to get out of the diagnostics? I don't want to be stuck in the twilight zone permanently.  :>)

Contributor

For everyones information:

Release Version 98.1.2  4/23/19 was downloaded to me last night and no fix for me. 

Gold Problem Solver

Have you tried all of the steps detailed earlier in the thread?
Most Valued Poster

I also have the 98.1.2 4/23/19 version. But since my problem disappeared with the new HDMI cables this update had no effect. Well not on connection issues. I notice when I am in the TV guide and looking at the information on future programs there is a small label at the beginning of the description "New" or "repeat". In the past the New label would be in bright green and the repeat label in grey. Now both are in grey. Is anyone else experiencing this? Are there any other negative changes with the latest update?

I plan on putting the old HDMI cables back on my 4K TV on Tuesday to see if the connection problem returns.

Contributor

With this update I no longer have to restart the cable box, I just turn the tv on and off 2 times , wait 5 minutes and turn the tv back on and it works! This is with the HDMI color on. This not really a fix and just adds more uncertainty to what really is the problem. I’ve been send ing screenshots to a Comcast Senior Tech who I had dealing with in Jan when I received my 4 k box. He has been sending my results to Comcast Engineering who keep coming back with more questions . Don’t know where this is going but doesn’t seem in a positive direction.
New Poster

I didn't have this issue on my old Vizio, only my new Vizio, both were 4k.  I turned UHD off on the tv for the Comcast port and that didn't fix the issue.  Comcast is coming out tomorrow to replace the box again to see if that fixes the issue.  Since it will be my 3rd box on this tv I doubt it I will fix the issue.

New Poster

Since this is, apparently, a moderated forum, can the moderator tell us when the problem might get fixed? is there anyone following the thread that believes they have a solution to this? 

Contributor

Is your cable box power saver on? Changing the box won’t help
Most Valued Poster

I tried the instructions and it didn't work. Does anything happen after pressing exit for 5 seconds or just keep going? Do I press the down arrow or the page down button? I'm using the XR15 remote if that matters. Thanks.

Most Valued Poster

I just had the first connection problem since I put on the new HDMI cables. There are possibly 2 items that could be the culprit. 1) I tweaked the color yesterday and turned on the digital clean view on the Samsung picture settings. or 2) after getting a connection I saw the screen saver picture on the screen. This feature can't be turned off just set to it's longest interval before coming on. So possibly when the sleep saver kicked in that disconnects the picture from the DVR. But I didn't have to shut the DVR to reconnect just go to connection source and the picture came back on.

Most Valued Poster

I used to have software version 98.1.2 4/23/19 then last night I got 97.1.4 4/16/19. Interesting roll back to a version I never had. I think 97.1.3  was the previous highest number in the 97 series.

As I mentioned I had changed my TV settings and think it caused the latest connection problem. So I changed the TV back and  have not had the reconnection issue again. However the problem could have been caused by the screen saver option in my Samsung that doesn't give me an opt out choice. So I am running the TV to try and get the screen saver option to kick in and see if that causes the connection issue.

Interesting side note this version 97.1.4 has brought back the green coloring for the "new" show label in the TV guide. Thank you comcast.

Most Valued Poster

Here are the numbers from my two DVRs. I couldn't find where the MOCA number is. Nothing in MOCA diagnostics looked like 250.

4K DVR                Old DVR

Codeword errors                   0                            0

SNR                                   40 - 42.1             38 - 40.5 

Down Power                       3.1                          3.3

Down SNR                          39.4                       37.6

Up Power                            41.8                       39.8

MOCA                                   NA                          NA

Since I shut off the "Digital Clean" feature on my Samsung 4K I haven't had the reconnect issue again. Tomorrow I will put the old HDMI cables back on and see if the reconnect issue returns.