Community Forum

XG1V4 Picture Quality

Contributor

XG1V4 Picture Quality

I recently swapped out a non 4k DVR for 4k to resolve an issue and notice the 4k box live TV picture quality is worse than my previous box. How is this possible?
Expert

Re: XG1V4 Picture Quality

@eeemoney wrote:
I recently swapped out a non 4k DVR for 4k to resolve an issue and notice the 4k box live TV picture quality is worse than my previous box. How is this possible?

since you changed the device on the HDMI port, you will need to go through TV set up on the new device while the TV is set to use that HDMI port. If you have access to Netflix you can search for tv show 'test patterns' and go through the episodes. you might want to check the set top box output resolution setting to be sure it is on expert setting. also turn off any 'motion' effects and set to 'normal' on device viewing (not cinema for example). once the test pattern is running (mute sound) you can set brightness, gamma, contrast and sharpness.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue. I just switched from the XG1A (hd) to the XG1v4 (4K), and the quality of the cable feed compared to before is just plain worse. It looks more fuzzy/grainy/blurry, and the colors are very washed out and bland looking. I really notice it when looking at the menu of prime video or Netflix on the xg1v4 app, and then swapping to the other inputs on my Samsung tv to compare the same picture on 3 different inputs (xg1v4 app vs tv app vs XBOX one x app). The tiles/thumbnails on the menus of apps such as prime and Netflix look way clearer on the tv app/Xbox compared to the xg1v4 app... Hopefully some sort of update can fix this... I have the box set to the proper resolution, have proper hdmi cables, and am familiar with optimizing tv picture settings. It only looks bad on my new xg1v4 box. I will admit the 4K hdr streaming quality of Netflix and prime looks fine on the xg1v4, but the menus are very blurry and pixelated, and the cable feed is horrible!
Expert

@csween86 wrote:
I have the same issue. I just switched from the XG1A (hd) to the XG1v4 (4K), and the quality of the cable feed compared to before is just plain worse. It looks more fuzzy/grainy/blurry, and the colors are very washed out and bland looking. I really notice it when looking at the menu of prime video or Netflix on the xg1v4 app, and then swapping to the other inputs on my Samsung tv to compare the same picture on 3 different inputs (xg1v4 app vs tv app vs XBOX one x app). The tiles/thumbnails on the menus of apps such as prime and Netflix look way clearer on the tv app/Xbox compared to the xg1v4 app... Hopefully some sort of update can fix this... I have the box set to the proper resolution, have proper hdmi cables, and am familiar with optimizing tv picture settings. It only looks bad on my new xg1v4 box. I will admit the 4K hdr streaming quality of Netflix and prime looks fine on the xg1v4, but the menus are very blurry and pixelated, and the cable feed is horrible!

when watching cable select 720p output and let your TV do its own upscaling. when using youtube/netflix or any 4k enabled app, change to 4k.  The tv will probably do a much better job of displaying 720 pixels on approx 4k pixel width.  Be sure the X1 is on an HDCP 2.2 enabled HDMI port and activated as 4k if necessary in the TV menu.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

All 4 of my tv hdmi ports support 2.0 and 2.2, and I’m using a high speed hdmi cable, even tried using the Xbox one x hdmi cable with it... Also, switched to 720 on the xg1v4 box, and still no luck. It looks like mid grade streaming quality. I know the cable companies output in 720, didn’t expect the picture to be better with the new 4K box, but sure as heck didn’t expect it to be worse.
Expert

@csween86 wrote:
All 4 of my tv hdmi ports support 2.0 and 2.2, and I’m using a high speed hdmi cable, even tried using the Xbox one x hdmi cable with it... Also, switched to 720 on the xg1v4 box, and still no luck. It looks like mid grade streaming quality. I know the cable companies output in 720, didn’t expect the picture to be better with the new 4K box, but sure as heck didn’t expect it to be worse.

since it is mpeg it is the same no matter the device. did you use the netflix set up programs to set brightness, contrast, sharpness, backlight, gamma using that set top box? the TV's store the settings based on the 'address' of the device not the HDMI port. be sure to turn off all motion effects in the TV menu.

Frequent Visitor

My TV (Samsung mu8000) sets a picture mode and it’s settings over all sources (inputs), if selected, which I have selected. Trust me, I’ve double checked all of that. This is a quality issue, not a picture setting issue. My 1080p Samsung es6100 tv in my bedroom, with the x1 wifi xi5 box has a much better quality feed/picture without even tweaking the picture settings, compared to my Samsung 4K tv with the 4K box.
Expert

@csween86 wrote:
My TV (Samsung mu8000) sets a picture mode and it’s settings over all sources (inputs), if selected, which I have selected. Trust me, I’ve double checked all of that. This is a quality issue, not a picture setting issue. My 1080p Samsung es6100 tv in my bedroom, with the x1 wifi xi5 box has a much better quality feed/picture without even tweaking the picture settings, compared to my Samsung 4K tv with the 4K box.

For now I would put you new Samsung UHD television to use by using the built-in compatible apps. You Tube is best for free: 8K, 4K (2160p), 1440p, and 1080p (BluRay quality) and HDR videos and much better 7.1, 5.1 surround sound systems.  You tube also as test patterns, stats for Nerds, plus a way to choose resolution used.There are good free apps for network channels supplying 1080p and 720p "on demand" type programing. Also others like Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. for a fee that work best there. However: some people do like the Comcast interface for finding shows on IPV television over broadband Internet.

Frequent Visitor

I definitely use my tv or Xbox one x for the apps over this junk 4K cable box, but my main issue is not the apps, it’s that the cable feed looks like junk compared to my previous non 4K x1 box. That’s the whole reason I have a cable box, for cable tv. Like I said, I did not expect the cable to be better with the new box, the cable isn’t coming in 4K, but I defitnely did not expect it to be worse... I wanted to 4K box for future Xfinity 4K content, now I’m thinking it’s not worth it, and I’ll get the old box back.
Expert

@csween86 wrote:
I definitely use my tv or Xbox one x for the apps over this junk 4K cable box, but my main issue is not the apps, it’s that the cable feed looks like junk compared to my previous non 4K x1 box. That’s the whole reason I have a cable box, for cable tv. Like I said, I did not expect the cable to be better with the new box, the cable isn’t coming in 4K, but I defitnely did not expect it to be worse... I wanted to 4K box for future Xfinity 4K content, now I’m thinking it’s not worth it, and I’ll get the old box back.

That is the same reason I still use the Cisco RNG150N cable-box on my 2015 circa Samsung 65" 3D UHD curved television. I am waiting for a 4K cable-box if, or when, they get 4K linear cable. I have DSL which is not currently compatible with Comcast X1 equipment. There is no 4K (or 1080p)programing on either linear cable, or OTA, yet. Over the air will work much better with your television for Networks using 1080i MPEG2 signal.

Frequent Visitor

I switched to 1080p60, and it looks much better than 2160p30 or 60... It’s still not better than my last box on 1080p60, but it’s not too bad, and I’m willing to hold out in hopes of more 4K cable/on demand content in the near future. Honestly, the resolutions of 720 all the way up to the 1080p60 setting all have similar coloring and resolution quality, and look MUCH better than 2160p30 or 60.
Frequent Visitor

Ditto. I sincerely regret turning in my XG1V1 box for the XG1V4. I’m on my second XG1V4 and it’s no better than the first. I wish I had researched this before making the swap. Who would think that a 4K box would have a worse picture?

Expert

@DixieGent wrote:

Ditto. I sincerely regret turning in my XG1V1 box for the XG1V4. I’m on my second XG1V4 and it’s no better than the first. I wish I had researched this before making the swap. Who would think that a 4K box would have a worse picture?

same video but have you set up the new 'device' with the TV? the settings are per device not per port on HDMI. (set top output to 720P unless you are watching 4k content, brightness and contrast and sharpness, turn off all motion enhancements, etc).

Frequent Visitor

Yes. I set the Xfinity 4K box video to 1080P and this improved the picture a little. If the Xnfinity 4K box upscaled properly, this should not be necessary.

Expert

@DixieGent wrote:

Yes. I set the Xfinity 4K box video to 1080P and this improved the picture a little. If the Xnfinity 4K box upscaled properly, this should not be necessary.

the TV does a much better job of upscaling. put the box in 720p unless watching 4k netflix/you tube.

Frequent Visitor

I actually watched some 4K on demand content on this box of the women’s World Cup when it was going on, and the 4K quality is atrocious compared to you tube or Netflix... this box really is garbage.
Frequent Visitor

I received and connected a new High Speed HDMI 2.1 cable today between the XG1V4 and my new Samsung Q80R TV. Believe it or not, this did improve the picture from the XG1V4 with its resolution set to 2160P. It’s now hard to tell the difference between 1080P and 2160P. Especially difficult to tell since there are so many clicks required on the Xfinity box to reset the resolution. But I think with the 1080P resolution the picture is just a little bit sharper, but not worth fighting over. However, I can’t prove it now, but I still think the old XG1V1 box had a better picture on the Q80R.

BTW, the HDMI cable I was using was the one supplied to me by Comcast with the XG1V1 box. They did not give me a new cable when I exchanged it for the XG1V4 box. Maybe they should have? No idea what the old cable was rated at.

So maybe you could try a new HDMI cable?