Community Forum

XG1-P vs XG1-A

Contributor

XG1-P vs XG1-A

Hello,

I am relatively new to the X1 system. Just got my first X1 box last week. Generally, I really like the service, but I don't like the DVR. I received an XG1-P (v3). I have noticed that it is very loud, and I am not usually sensitive to these things. It sounds like an old school tower computer on a hot summer day.  It has also given me some errors when trying to play on demand programming. I have read the comparisons on this forum between the XG1-A and XG1-P and have found the information to be very helpful and consistent with my experience. I appreciate everyone who has compiled the information and made it available on these forums.

My question is, how do get an XG1-A box? I have tried working through my local Comcast service centers and they only seem to have the XG1-P v3 (although ironically one service center has the XG1-A as the display model). I have also tried to contact customer service but can't get them to bump me to tier 2 support. It seems like people on this forum have had some success and I would appreciate any advice. I'd also appreciate if the Comcast representatives on the forum (who seem to be incredibly responsive) would assist as well. 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: XG1-P vs XG1-A

dwrexv1307 wrote:

Hello,

I am relatively new to the X1 system. Just got my first X1 box last week. Generally, I really like the service, but I don't like the DVR. I received an XG1-P (v3). I have noticed that it is very loud, and I am not usually sensitive to these things. It's sounds like an old school tower computer on a hot summer day.  It has also given me some errors when trying to play on demand programming. I have read the comparisons on this forum between the XG1-A and XG1-P and have found the information to be very helpful and consistent with my experience. I appreciate everyone who has compiled the information and made it available on these forums.

My question is, how do get an XG1-A box? I have tried working through my local Comcast service centers and they only seem to have the XG1-P v3 (although ironically one service center has the XG1-A as the display model). I have also tried to contact customer service but can't get them to bump me to tier 2 support. It seems like people on this forum have had some success and I would appreciate any advice. I'd also appreciate if the Comcast representatives on the forum (who seem to be incredibly responsive) would assist as well. 

I HAD one of those monsters and it was very loud.... I had it swapped for an XG1-A....

Try sending a PM to ComcastNickM...add the link to this post...

Maybe he can do some things behind the scenes...  <keep fingers crossed!!!>

-=Ray=-

Contributor

Thanks Ray. I will follow your advice. I can't believe how loud this box is, especially in this age of fanless computers and SSDs. 

Gold Problem Solver

I can confirm the Arris X1 DVR is nearly silent.

The problem you might run is Comcast employees usually do not like to get into discussions about the four different X1 DVRs. In their minds there is only one X1 DVR. In this forum, I have never seen a Comcast employee get deeply involved in a conversation about the four different X1 DVRs.

The responsiveness you mentioned by the Comcast employees here frankly is fairly new. If one of them chimes in here to help you that would be great.

However in the back of my mind, I think you might need to be more persistent about getting your trouble ticket to tier 2.

dwrexv1307 wrote:

Hello,

I am relatively new to the X1 system. Just got my first X1 box last week. Generally, I really like the service, but I don't like the DVR. I received an XG1-P (v3). I have noticed that it is very loud, and I am not usually sensitive to these things. It's sounds like an old school tower computer on a hot summer day.  It has also given me some errors when trying to play on demand programming. I have read the comparisons on this forum between the XG1-A and XG1-P and have found the information to be very helpful and consistent with my experience. I appreciate everyone who has compiled the information and made it available on these forums.

Contributor

Rick,

You're exactly right. When I called customer service, they actually refused to acknolwedge that there were different boxes. I was told they are all the same, and perform the same functions. I referenced this forum, but didn't get anywhere. This is confusing because we all know there a millions of TVs, for instance, (or fill in TV with any other product) that technically perform the same function but do it at much different levels. I hope that the Comcast employees are responsive; I have been impressed with at least what they have been doing recently. It would be hard to stomach another call to customer service.

Contributor

Just a quick idea for everyone trying to get REAL help from Comcast! Go on Twitter and tweet your problem to @comcastcares (Of course be very civil and as detailed as possible in 142 characters)

I'm betting you those people will respond and find a way to help you. They may redirect you to a different @comcast rep to follow for DM's via Twitter or maybe even supply a tier 2 or higher tech number.

Definitely worth a try! They have helped me in the past when phone calls (that direct you to script readers with zero technical knowledge) do nothing to help.

`jt

Contributor

Thanks Glitch. It shouldn't be so frustrating or require so much effort though, right? That said, Comcast is being responsive to me in this forum (via private messages) so I will keep the group updated. Hopefully that will solve things.
Contributor

An update. The Comcast rep who responded to me on this forum was not able to help. However, I went to one of those Xfinity experience stores (Newton, MA) and found an incredibly helpful person. I let her know about the issues with my box and my preference for an XG1-A. She said she would try to find one in a warehouse and get back to me. After about a week she got back in touch with me, which in and of itself is a small miracle. Even better, though, she had the box. I picked it up today. Unfortunately, the box was a mess...not working properly. Something was seriously wrong. I went back to the store and got ANOTHER XG1-A. She had luckily received two from the warehouse. This new box worked perfectly and I am now satisfied. I can report that the XG1-A is much quieter, and I believe has a better picture. I think it is also more responsive. A small point, the brightness settings for the power button and clock dim significantly lower than the XG1-P. For people who keep this box in a bedroom it might make a difference.

It obviously shouldn't be this hard to get a working product. However, I was impressed with the Xfinity experience store's customer service. I also am appreciative of the guidance I got on this forum.
Regular Contributor

Here's some irony A (Arris) purchased P (Pace) a while back.  But yes, in general the Arris DVR is a more solid performer. Samsung actually has one as well,  I would bet it's a great box. 

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/arris-to-acquire-pace-plc-for-21-billion-in-stock-and-cash-3...

I DO work for Comcast. Do I know everything? NO. Do I help thousands of customers every year? YES I do.
New Poster

Yes, I agree.  I recently installed the X1 box, XG1-P and I notice that each time I come into the Living Room, I can distinctly hear the fan running. 

Official Employee

2+ year old thread closed