Community Forum

XB1v4-A Xi5 or Xi6 Without Xfinity Gateway

New Poster

XB1v4-A Xi5 or Xi6 Without Xfinity Gateway

Has anyone been able to get the XB1v4-A to connect and work wirelessly with an Xi5 or Xi6 without using the Xfinity modem/ router?

Thanks in advance!

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: XB1v4-A Xi5 or Xi6 Without Xfinity Gateway

Sorry, it won’t. Taken from
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV/ANSWERED-What-is-the-Xfinity-Xi5-TV-Box/ta-p/2940258

What are the requirements to have the Xi5 device?
To have a Wireless TV box in your home, you'll need XFINITY TV service, at least one additional X1 TV box to act as the primary X1 device on your account and XFINITY Internet with a Wireless Gateway 3 (with RDK-B firmware) to stream video over the Xi5's WiFi connection.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Thank you for your reply, I was hoping for a work around but I think I'll switch my SB8200 with the XB6 and then connect my Orbi system via ethernet for wifi. Will this setup work if I use Orbi as an access point?

Silver Problem Solver

@MaxMcReynolds wrote:

Thank you for your reply, I was hoping for a work around but I think I'll switch my SB8200 with the XB6 and then connect my Orbi system via ethernet for wifi. Will this setup work if I use Orbi as an access point?

I have the Arris XB6 and Orbi.  I put my XB6 in Bridge Mode, which turned off the XB6 wifi.  I put my Orbi in AP mode and it is my sole wifi source.

There is a new retail Netgear modem if you want to buy insted of rent.  It doesn't support XHome, so you have to have Comcast install the XHome modem, if you don't already have it.  I like the XB6 because it has XHome support, so I won't be purchasing the Netgear.

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/netgear-cm1150v-701

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Great! I shall be doing just that. Thanks for your help

New Poster

I have my Xfinity modem in Bridge mode, my Xi5 works but I had to add a MoCA adapter to my network. I'm using Ethernet to my Xi5 ...I have one of my wireless mesh points next to the Xi5 and run Ethernet to it from that.

Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013J7OBUU?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Frequent Visitor

@Kishi23 wrote:
I have my Xfinity modem in Bridge mode, my Xi5 works but I had to add a MoCA adapter to my network. I'm using Ethernet to my Xi5 ...I have one of my wireless mesh points next to the Xi5 and run Ethernet to it from that.

Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013J7OBUU?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

How  do you install the adapter? Do you split the signal going into your modem and then connect the Ethernet to the box?

Official Employee

I would assume the adapter goes outside of the box. I have an adapter on my splitter that goes from the modem to my xg1v3. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Can you please further explain the xi5 or xi6 setup with xfinity modem in bridge mode? I’d like to use the wireless boxes with my personal router in a room that does not have a coaxial connection.

I think the way others xfinity customers have accomplished getting the xi5 or xi6 to work wired via ethernet or wirelessly to their personal router is by introducing the Xfinity coaxial network to their personal router network via a moca box at the cable entry point with a splitter. One connection to a bridged xfinity modem and the other connection to a moca box that is then connected via ethernet to their personal router.

Is this a possible solution?

Expert

@sdricks wrote:

Can you please further explain the xi5 or xi6 setup with xfinity modem in bridge mode? I’d like to use the wireless boxes with my personal router in a room that does not have a coaxial connection.

I think the way others xfinity customers have accomplished getting the xi5 or xi6 to work wired via ethernet or wirelessly to their personal router is by introducing the Xfinity coaxial network to their personal router network via a moca box at the cable entry point with a splitter. One connection to a bridged xfinity modem and the other connection to a moca box that is then connected via ethernet to their personal router.

Is this a possible solution?

the Comcast gateway is recognized by other x1 MoCA connected equipment as a hub. once the MoCA over ethernet from a comcast Hub is working, then you can use extenders or wired AP (access points) as wifi connections to the xi5/xi6 devices. if you put MoCA mesh on the same band (letter) and range (number) as the Comcast mesh uses, the Comcast mesh will idle until your 'hub' is offline. It is not stated in public how Comcast X1 equipment accomplishes this without using a password but the effect is same (a private mesh).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!