Community Forum

X11 Remote TV Input Button

New Poster

X11 Remote TV Input Button

Hi,

I received and set up the new X11 voice remote a couple of days ago. Everything works fine. The only "problem" I have is that the "TV Input" button controls the inputs on the TV (which obviously it should) but I need it to instead control the inputs to my AV receiver. Does anyone know of a way to program it to do that or to fool it so that it will do that? As it is now I still have to have my AV receiver remote close by so that every time I want to switch to my gaming console or my Chromecast I need to reach over and grab that other remote. Sure would be nice to use just one remote. You know what I mean. 

Official Employee

Re: X11 Remote TV Input Button

If you have an X1 dvr or an Xi3, pair the remote to that box ( press setup and then the Xfinity button and enter the 3 digit code that pops up), it then walks you through setting a code for TV and then setting a code for audio receivers
New Poster

Sorry - that's not what I asked. Please read the question. I have had no problems setting up the TV and the AV receiver in the normal manner. 

Official Employee

Then the answer would be no, the remotes don't have the capability
New Poster

Bummer

Silver Problem Solver

ucorvet wrote:

Bummer

I use a Harmony 650 with my TV-a/v-X!..

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

ucorvet wrote:

Bummer

A Harmony 650 is an inexpensive remote that can do exacly what you want.....

I have one as well as a coupple of other veteran Foum members and just use them as stand-alone units!!!   In fact, i can't get the Xr11 away from my wife, so i prefer the harmony 650.

New Poster

Sorry to reply to an old post. Consider it a "bump". I am trying to find out if anyone has had any success finding a way to remap the tv input function. I Actually like the new x11 remotes, and the wife and kids are liking it too. Only problem is with the new box I had 1 more HDMI box than my TV has inputs for so I figured good excuse for a nice little reciever. I reran the setup and and now the remote will control the volume/mute/power of the reciever, but the TV input still controls the TV. This seems to be a flaw in the remote programming. I am quite frustrated at this, and am stuck go with a real universal, but loose the nice feel, and voice control, or return the reciever and use lower quality connections, etc. Ideally it would be nice to be able to remap the input button. I know you could do the older remotes, but havent found much on it with the x11. Either way kind of disappointing Comcast isn't pushing an update on this. It really seems to be a flaw in an otherwise pretty nice little clicker.

Gold Problem Solver

javajam wrote:

Sorry to reply to an old post. Consider it a "bump". I am trying to find out if anyone has had any success finding a way to remap the tv input function. I Actually like the new x11 remotes, and the wife and kids are liking it too. Only problem is with the new box I had 1 more HDMI box than my TV has inputs for so I figured good excuse for a nice little reciever. I reran the setup and and now the remote will control the volume/mute/power of the reciever, but the TV input still controls the TV. This seems to be a flaw in the remote programming. I am quite frustrated at this, and am stuck go with a real universal, but loose the nice feel, and voice control, or return the reciever and use lower quality connections, etc. Ideally it would be nice to be able to remap the input button. I know you could do the older remotes, but havent found much on it with the x11. Either way kind of disappointing Comcast isn't pushing an update on this. It really seems to be a flaw in an otherwise pretty nice little clicker.

Remapping of X1 remotes is not possible.  Suggest looking into a 3rd party remote, such as a Harmony.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Gold Problem Solver

Did you try every single code listed for your TV listed here: https://customer.xfinity.com/remotes/

As Robert mentioned, I am a HUGE advocate of 3rd party universal remotes such as Harmony and URC.

javajam wrote:

New Poster

Sorry that's geek46 that's really not the point. For a geek (refering to myself here) that's a no-brainer. Problem is xfinity really has put together a nice expirience, and the new x11 is in many ways a superior design to that found in most iniversals, it's easy to the point, the motion triggered back light, and voice integreation are great and I am not aware of any of the universal supporting bluetooth pairing to the newer x1 boxes. Not to mention if you have kids the xfinity remote is quite solid and readily replaceable whereas the nicer universals tend to be ~$70 and up and fairly prone to damage.

The real bummer is they xfinity gets all that right and than falls short on what should be little more than a menu option and duplicating the codes which are loaded for the AV recievers (the existing, plus a mapping with the input function).  I know I am not the only one, as there are a lot of other posts on these forums, reddit, AV and remote forums, etc.

Gold Problem Solver

javajam wrote:

Sorry but I disagree with much of what was said here...

Sorry that's geek46 that's really not the point. For a geek (refering to myself here) that's a no-brainer. Problem is xfinity really has put together a nice expirience Oh really? You might want to spend more time with X1, and the new x11 is in many ways a superior design to that found in most iniversals I totally disagree with this comment, the button layout on the XR5 and XR11 are a disaster, it's easy to the point, the motion triggered back light very easy to find in universal remotes, and voice integreation voice control is nearly pointless until it can control an entire system. Savant just introduced a solution that is light years beyond what Comcast is doing are great and I am not aware of any of the universal supporting bluetooth pairing X1 boxes use Zigbee not Bluetooth to the newer x1 boxes. Not to mention if you have kids the xfinity remote is quite solid and readily replaceable true whereas the nicer universals tend to be ~$70 obviously your view of the universal remote market is narrow and price driven not solution driven and up and fairly prone to damage Prove it. I have found the opposite to be true.

The real bummer is they xfinity gets all that right and than falls short on what should be little more than a menu option and duplicating the codes which are loaded for the AV recievers (the existing, plus a mapping with the input function).  I know I am not the only one, as there are a lot of other posts on these forums, reddit, AV and remote forums, etc. The reason for this is actually very simple. Comcast feels they have had to spend far too much time, money and resources supporting 3rd party products, especially audio products. The Comcast remotes are limited in capabilities because it limits their exposure...

My solution is very simple. Focus my time and efforts making the situation better for myself and my family. Don't dwell on Comcast's cost cutting and incomplete products.

I have four X1 based systems in my house. I use Harmony 900's to control them. Here is my list of reasons why:

1. One touch favorite channels on a color touch screen.
2. One touch operation to turn on and off any source at any time.
3. RF operation of the entire system, not just the X1 box.
4. FULL control of every product in each of the systems. I am not limited to just the box, TV and receiver.
5. Sleep timers that shut off the entire system.
6. Rechargeable batteries with holder cradles.
7. Fully backlit remote with touch sensitive lighting.
8. Most importantly, they are programmed so even though all four of my systems contain different components, from the remotes they operate the same. Once you have learned one remote, you have learned them all.

I value simple, easy and reliable. In my mind, the Comcast remotes aren't even in the ball park...

New Poster

New to the system, wanted to change my tv input from the remote and a quick Google search lead me here to find my answer. In the process I read what has been said about buying another remote but again Google showed me the preferred remote here is averaging $150 on ebay or $500 brand new.

For a remote to change my TV input.

Sounds cool that I can program it to what ever else I feel like, however $150 minimum for a solution is a big of a price. See what I did there?

Gold Problem Solver

The Harmony 650 is vastly more capable than any Comcast remote and usually can be found for $55-$60.
New Poster

On my xr11 voice remote I push the input button again and again to navigate between inputs.

New Poster

I have a Sharp 60" LED TV and have a problem.

ON teh X1 Voice remote, pressing the TV Input button does bring up the list of my TV's inputs (3 HDMI), but I cannot scroll through them or select one of them.  If I press the TV Input button a second time, it simply brings up a deeper TV input menu, and a third press of the button closes the TV input menu completely, again.

Does anyone know how to resolve a way to use my X1 remote to select the inputs?

Thanks very much.

Administrator

This depends on the type of TV and it might not work with all of them. For some TV's if you press the input button once again it will rotate between the different inputs. For others that option does not work and you would need to use your TV remote to navigate inputs. 

New Poster

Mine used to work that way, just fine, switching from Comcast DVR or live feed, to Roku feed, to DVD feed, no problem. Until recently. Now switching input device via the TV input button on my X11 remote makes the TV itself go on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off... you get the picture. It is MADDENING. Why did it start doing this when it had been working fine, and more importantly HOW TO GET IT TO STOP DOING THAT AND SIMPLY CHANGE THE INPUT DEVICE and have it work, as before?????????????

Silver Problem Solver

yesyvonne wrote:

Mine used to work that way, just fine, switching from Comcast DVR or live feed, to Roku feed, to DVD feed, no problem. Until recently. Now switching input device via the TV input button on my X11 remote makes the TV itself go on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off... you get the picture. It is MADDENING. Why did it start doing this when it had been working fine, and more importantly HOW TO GET IT TO STOP DOING THAT AND SIMPLY CHANGE THE INPUT DEVICE and have it work, as before?????????????

Did you try re-pairing the remote?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

Yes, did re-pair the remote. Maybe it needs to be redone again. Will try that. Thanks.