Community Forum

X1 will not activate

Frequent Visitor

X1 will not activate

Replaced our old box yesterday after it burned out, literally, with an X1 that I picked up at the local service center.  Also updated the modem which they had been sending messages about updating for a couple of weeks.   Completed all set up procedures on the X1 and got this message "This device needs to be rehit before we can continue" .  

I rebooted the X1 at least 3 times with the same results.  Called customer service last night and was told I had to wait 24 hours before the work order for the new box would be completed.  What?  Today I was transferred 6 times to finally reach a tech.  He reset and rebooted numerous times from his end and finally told me the problem was going to have to be "escalated" internally to a higher tech level.  They are supposed to call me when they discover a fix.  

Anybody else had this problem?

Official Employee

Re: X1 will not activate

Rjwood5, did anyone that you talked mention about your levels being out of spec? Was there an error code number on the screen too? Is it possible to take a screenshot.
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

ComcastAndrew wrote:
Rjwood5, did anyone that you talked mention about your levels being out of spec? Was there an error code number on the screen too? Is it possible to take a screenshot.

The tech did check levels I think. I'm attaching a photo of the TV screen as I'm unable to get a screenshot directly from the TV. The screen contains my account info, so tried to crop to only show the message. There are no error messages on the screen.

Well I cannot attach the photo.  The message is "This device needs to be rehit before we can continue."  Next line is go to comcast/activate or call 855-OK-BEGIN.  The rest of the screen has the acct phone #, acct #, Cable Modem MAC: 1c:1b:68:d8:da:c6.....  The bottom right of the screen has XRE-0025.

Frequent Visitor

FYI, this screen shows up after the boot up process is completed.

Frequent Visitor

Correction:  bottom right screen has XRE-00253

New Poster

I have the same issue. Except the error code is: "XRE-00251". The screen says "This device need to be added to your account". Called customer service 4 times - escalad at least 4 levels each time - still no resulution. Apparently the X1 can not receive the activation signal. Internet works fine and the guide shows all the content - but no TV signal. The box is connected directly (no splitter)

Official Employee

The tech did check levels I think. I'm attaching a photo of the TV screen as I'm unable to get a screenshot directly from the TV. The screen contains my account info, so tried to crop to only show the message. There are no error messages on the screen.

Well I cannot attach the photo. The message is "This device needs to be rehit before we can continue." Next line is go to comcast/activate or call 855-OK-BEGIN. The rest of the screen has the acct phone #, acct #, Cable Modem MAC: 1c:1b:68:d8:da:c6..... The bottom right of the screen has XRE-0025.

Rj, sorry I tried the whole arsenal.. Let me know what they end up doing.
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

I'm having the same exact problem since last Tuesday the 5th when the tech came out to install the new box. Don't know what's going on.
Frequent Visitor

Tech came this morning and gave me a new X1 box, then set it up.  Everything was fine until 10 minutes after he left then all of the HD channels startiing pixilating and cutting out.  Comcast is suppposed to contact me and have a tech come again.

Frequent Visitor

hbl440 wrote:

I have the same issue. Except the error code is: "XRE-00251". The screen says "This device need to be added to your account". Called customer service 4 times - escalad at least 4 levels each time - still no resulution. Apparently the X1 can not receive the activation signal. Internet works fine and the guide shows all the content - but no TV signal. The box is connected directly (no splitter)

Tech came this morning and gave me a new X1 box, then set it up.  Everything was fine until 10 minutes after he left then all of the HD channels startiing pixilating and cutting out.  Comcast is suppposed to contact me and have a tech come again.

Frequent Visitor

jseder wrote:
I'm having the same exact problem since last Tuesday the 5th when the tech came out to install the new box. Don't know what's going on.

New Poster

How long have you had to wait for a tech to come out? I've been waiting since last Tuesday for a tech and haven't been contacted by comcast.
Frequent Visitor

I went in to the local Comcast office and met with the manager.  She has been bypassing the Comcast process and getting techs out in 24 hours.  Don't know if it's worth a try for you or not.  I think I just got lucky.  She is staying in contact by phone and email.

Frequent Visitor

I was staying in contact with Comcast constantly by phone, email and online chat until they decided I wasn't going away.  Never showed my anger just kept telling them there had to be a solution if they would just work on it.  I was a banker for many years and found that offering solutions to poorly trained staff got more results. 

New Poster

After yet another call to the customer service I was lucky to get the problem excalated. A X1 expert called me back and he discovered that the issue was with some configuration on their end of the system (that none of the +10 other people I have talked with has discovered). He changed the configuration related to the XRE-00251 error message and the TV Box is working fine now.

New Poster

I'm having the same issue with my two new X1 boxes. No one at comcast can help yet.

Expert

Blks2k wrote:

I'm having the same issue with my two new X1 boxes. No one at comcast can help yet.

hi. for immediate tech support call the 24/7 support X1 number at 877-896-8678

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast found that the X1 box was defective and installed a different one. Also ran new cable from the box to my house which fixed another problem with the HD channels.  Peacefully enjoying everything now after 6 months of frustration.

New Poster

Suprised to see people claiming they needed a new box.  It probably just was that the device needed to be added to the account (if it was a swap from an old box).  The first time I called they tried "rehitting" the device twice with no success, but the 2nd time I called the tech was able to swap devices and voila it worked. 

Frequent Visitor

A tech came out and tested the box and found it defective. He tried the activation process first. He brought in a new box and it activated immediately.