Community Forum

X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Frequent Visitor

X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

During the past few weeks, every few days the video being played thru the x1 box freezes. The video does not pixilate it just shows a still frame.  When that happens, the unit will not respond to either remote, However, the program audio continues to play.  The unit must be manually rebooted to fix the problem.  Once it comes back up, it will work until the next time.  Very irritating, because often there is a program being recorded and that recording is interupted by the reboot.  It appears that even tho the live tv video feed display is frozen, scheduled recordings are properly recorded and stored.  Where do I start to get this problem resolved? 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play


gtreiber wrote:

During the past few weeks, every few days the video being played thru the x1 box freezes. The video does not pixilate it just shows a still frame.  When that happens, the unit will not respond to either remote, However, the program audio continues to play.  The unit must be manually rebooted to fix the problem.  Once it comes back up, it will work until the next time.  Very irritating, because often there is a program being recorded and that recording is interupted by the reboot.  It appears that even tho the live tv video feed display is frozen, scheduled recordings are properly recorded and stored.  Where do I start to get this problem resolved? 


Call into Comcast at 1-800-266-2278 or 1-800-934-6489, speak with a CSR and request a TECH be dispatched to your residence to evaluate and make the necessary repairs either inside or outside your home.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

I have been experiencing a very similar issue for a couple weeks now. We'll start viewing a recording or an on-demand show, or change to a channel, and the video is frozen. Audio works fine. It's random, but in my case the remote continues to work fine, but just the video is frozen. Rebooting the box cures the issue for a time.  It happens on my two remote boxes and my main DVR. I have to wonder if this is a software glitch....

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

I agree - it's likely a software glitch as my problem started shortly after an automatic DVR software upgrade

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Actually,

It could be a bad box but more likely it is a signal related issue. This is fairly common with X1 especially when the weather turns cold which can cause outdoor connections to change.

I can't tell you how many times people jump into this forum pointing their figures at "software glitches" only to later find their issues were related to deficient signals... If it were a software glitch, hundreds if not thousands of people would be complaining about it.

I would have Comcast send a tech out to screen your signals... Keep in mind that the only Comcast employee who can fully screen your signals in a tech who is on site. Comcast employees in remote locations cannot see everything. 



gtreiber wrote:

I agree - it's likely a software glitch as my problem started shortly after an automatic DVR software upgrade


 

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

I am also experiencing the same issue. I called and the tech said there's nothing wrong with my signal and recommended that I restart. Problem is I have to restart several times a day.

 

About a month ago, moca filter was added to my outside line.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Sure as heck ain't cold in SE Florida, and my signals are just fine.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

The only person who can give your signals a 100% clean bill of health is a Comcast tech who is on site. Users can see less than half of the signals critical to X1.

The signals users can see are certainly important but they are not the complete picture.

When X1 boxes freeze and don't respond to the remote, that is classic symptoms of signal deficiencies.
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

I will call a tech out to check the signal.  

 

As a retired software engineer, I find it hard to believe that not being able to restart (un pause) a video being played from the DVR could be caused by a "signal issue".  If it actually is, then I would have to believe that the error handling capability of the softward it insufficient.  

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Actually,

It is very possible because the X1 guide is cloud based. Every single button press on an X1 remote is going back and forth on the cloud. Even the smallest degradation could interfere with the remote communicating properly.

I have had X1 for over three years. After some initial signal issues (my RF amp previously installed by Comcast was the wrong type for X1) X1 service has been extremely reliable for me. But I know why. My signals levels are well within spec and I check them weekly.

Having signal levels within spec is the "holy grail" of successful and reliable X1 service.



gtreiber wrote:

I will call a tech out to check the signal.  

 

As a retired software engineer, I find it hard to believe that not being able to restart (un pause) a video being played from the DVR could be caused by a "signal issue".  If it actually is, then I would have to believe that the error handling capability of the softward it insufficient.  





Regular Contributor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

In my case it responds to the remote just fine.

 

I swear, I never had so many problems with DirecTV. This is getting ridiculous.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Before you call a service tech to your home just give this a try. I mean, what can it hurt, your going to unplug the unit anyway.

 

Step 1, Hold down the Glowing Blue Power Button, unplug box, and release Power Button. Wait at least 45sec.

Step 2, Plug in box and notice that the Glowing Blue Power Button is Off!

Step 3, Push and release the once again Glowing Blue Power Button.

 

Billw

 

(retired se)

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

billw001:  Thanks for the advice.  I'm very reluctant to press the blue button as about a year ago I did that, unplugged the unit, and when it booted back up about 75 recorded programs had been erased from the DVR.  It was blank - no recorded programs, no recently deleted programs.  One of the Xfinity tech's told me that is a somewhat frequent occurance.  Once burned, twice cautious.

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

That will not happen I assure you. 

 

On a side note and nothing to do with issue at hand. Check your installation cable routing. Comcast sometimes uses contractors and they can be very generous with the coax. I rerouted my sons house and eliminated 67ft of coax and numerous connectors between the three rooms. Not the contractors fault entirely, it was my cheep sons fault for not tipping the poor guy $20 when he got thereSmiley Happy

New Poster

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Similar problem here. My video freezes, but I can still change channels and I can here the audio change, but the image stays the same. I'm guessing everyone with this problem should call it in, as it's probably something at their end as our boxes used to work and they wouldn't all have the same problem at the same time.
Regular Visitor

Re: X1 video freezes, audio continues to play, responds to remote

Also have the issue: video freeze as a still frame, audio & remote continue to work.  It seems to have started right around 1/1/17 but not sure.  I've tried resetting the home theater receiver (since HDMI flows to/thru it on the way to the TV screen) but have hypothesized that it's related to a software update.  The X1 box has been performing surprisingly well in the last 18 mos.  My only resolution for the current issue is to reboot the X1 box as others above had said.  At least I can get to the settings menu (it overlays the still frame) and choose a restart from the menu.  Honestly, I have not chosen to spend my time on with Comcast support.  Don't really think it's a physical or signal issue at all.  And yes, I am a software engineer not related to cable systems.  Plan to play around with screen saver / power saver settings to see if it's possibly related there.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 video freezes, audio continues to play, responds to remote

If you have a Pace made DVR, swap it for an Arris or vice versa.

There appears to be a problem here however not enough people are complaining about it. I have never been a big fan of Pace made products.

I have an Arris V3 DVR and two Samsung XG2's. I my signal levels are easily within spec. I am not experiencing this issue.



chef_m wrote:

Also have the issue: video freeze as a still frame, audio & remote continue to work.  It seems to have started right around 1/1/17 but not sure.  I've tried resetting the home theater receiver (since HDMI flows to/thru it on the way to the TV screen) but have hypothesized that it's related to a software update.  The X1 box has been performing surprisingly well in the last 18 mos.  My only resolution for the current issue is to reboot the X1 box as others above had said.  At least I can get to the settings menu (it overlays the still frame) and choose a restart from the menu.  Honestly, I have not chosen to spend my time on with Comcast support.  Don't really think it's a physical or signal issue at all.  And yes, I am a software engineer not related to cable systems.  Plan to play around with screen saver / power saver settings to see if it's possibly related there.







Regular Visitor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

I have the video freeze, audio continues, remote works and only fix is to go to setup and restart DVR.  Third DVR (2 pace, 1 arris) in 3 weeks, new power amp, new cable modem, and new line from junction box to house.  Support has promised a brand new DVR in shipment.

 

Anyone got a fix or found the problem.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Obviously another DVR isn't going to fix....

Care to provide specifics about your "power amp"?
New Poster

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

I'll weigh in here too. (Software developer here). My signals are all fine and in spec. Everything is working fine. I too am experiencing the freezes. It most often happens to me when I start a program from the DVR and immediately try to fast-forward past the commercials to the beginning of the show. I get a freeze frame (not pixelated, perfectly clear) of whatever was on the screen before I hit FF, sound continues to play normally. If I change channels, sound changes. All functions work, guide, DVR, etc. and I can select any other program, but that frozen frame remains on the screen. If I power cycle the box from the front button, freeze frame remains. Only a reboot (I'm doing it from the Help menu) fixes it.

 

This behavior began during the past month. I've had this box for over a year. Based on this thread, it all started for people here at the same time. That does not point to a signal issue. That points to a software bug.

 

My X1 box about screen:

xappl-XRE.71P3

XRE Server version: 1.71.03  01/19/2017 19:58

XRE Protocol version 2.8.0

Receiver Native version 2.6.0

STB Timestamp Thu Jan 5 03:03:22 2017

STM Version PX013AN_2.6p7s1_PROD_sey

Environment p4-uc

 

(omitted eCM MAC and Device ID from above)

Expert

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play


nickz1 wrote:

I'll weigh in here too. (Software developer here). My signals are all fine and in spec. Everything is working fine. I too am experiencing the freezes. It most often happens to me when I start a program from the DVR and immediately try to fast-forward past the commercials to the beginning of the show. I get a freeze frame (not pixelated, perfectly clear) of whatever was on the screen before I hit FF, sound continues to play normally. If I change channels, sound changes. All functions work, guide, DVR, etc. and I can select any other program, but that frozen frame remains on the screen. If I power cycle the box from the front button, freeze frame remains. Only a reboot (I'm doing it from the Help menu) fixes it.

 

This behavior began during the past month. I've had this box for over a year. Based on this thread, it all started for people here at the same time. That does not point to a signal issue. That points to a software bug.

 

My X1 box about screen:

xappl-XRE.71P3

XRE Server version: 1.71.03  01/19/2017 19:58

XRE Protocol version 2.8.0

Receiver Native version 2.6.0

STB Timestamp Thu Jan 5 03:03:22 2017

STM Version PX013AN_2.6p7s1_PROD_sey

Environment p4-uc

 

(omitted eCM MAC and Device ID from above)


you describe nearly a perfect case of HDCP handshake erroring out. My Vizio reboots to automatically fix that apparently assuming correctly that it was a transient issue. Problem can be caused by a dirty contact connection on the HDMI cable ends. an easy way to test not swapping the cable is to remove the cable and rotate the connectors (end that was on the TV hook up to the set top box). you might want to plug and unplug each connector a few times. 


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Visitor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Sorry, Comcast installed it originally and recently replaced it with 'one that is more compatible with Xfinity' .  Last service call was to install a MOCA filter immediately iin front of the power amp.  oops just checked and box was in the trash in my shop.  The amp is a COMMSCOPE home connect subscriber amplifier model CSAPDU5VPI.

 

BTW I do not believe a new DVR is a fix.  I think it is a bad programming that arrived in an overnight update around end of 2016.  Never had this type of video freeze before.  It seems to happen with a channel change or switch to xfinity to play a recorded show.  Remote still live so I can select xfinity, setup, devices, power preferences and restart to trigger a reboot which clears the problem.   repeating does not replicate the hang.  As a retired programmer, suspect that somewhere in the code a pointer does not get reset and once an array is exhausted, the code continue to increment and thus walks over other code or data.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

I have been experiencing the same problem. 

 

I made a video of my screen to show exactly what it looks like, for me anyway.

 

Is this what everyone else is experiencing? 

 

 

check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJFNTnw3N_E 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

If you haven't replaced that box, I would...
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

As I said in my previous post, I think the box should be replaced. However have you had a Comcast tech out to check for noise on your lines or proper grounding?



Vplus wrote:

Just happened again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN3hjGPbLY4&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share 


 

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

I have not had a tech out. New replacement box is on the way.
Contributor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Same problem here - picture freezes intermittently, audio continues. Only happens on the main DVR. Mostly seems to happen when changing to a recorded show. Changing from Pace to Arris X1 box didn't help. Multiple techs have been here. Wiring, amp, filters changed. Was told signal levels are within normal limits.

 

@Rustyben or anyone else - Could an HDMI HDCP handshake issue look like this? Can HDMI HDCP handshake issues occur even if the TV's inputs are not being changed, and the X1 box and TV are already on and working when it happens?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Did you ever post the EXACT model number of your TV? If not please post it...


Rik11 wrote:

Same problem here - picture freezes intermittently, audio continues. Only happens on the main DVR. Mostly seems to happen when changing to a recorded show. Changing from Pace to Arris X1 box didn't help. Multiple techs have been here. Wiring, amp, filters changed. Was told signal levels are within normal limits.

 

@Rustyben or anyone else - Could an HDMI HDCP handshake issue look like this? Can HDMI HDCP handshake issues occur even if the TV's inputs are not being changed, and the X1 box and TV are already on and working when it happens?


 

Expert

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play


Rik11 wrote:

Same problem here - picture freezes intermittently, audio continues. Only happens on the main DVR. Mostly seems to happen when changing to a recorded show. Changing from Pace to Arris X1 box didn't help. Multiple techs have been here. Wiring, amp, filters changed. Was told signal levels are within normal limits.

 

@Rustyben or anyone else - Could an HDMI HDCP handshake issue look like this? Can HDMI HDCP handshake issues occur even if the TV's inputs are not being changed, and the X1 box and TV are already on and working when it happens?


HDCP is constantly doing handshakes and a missed bit etc can cause instant cutoff of the video (the freeze). turn TV off/on to temporarily fix or unplug the HDMI connector(s) - I generally recommend swapping ends as that 'reseats' both connectors and changes the tension on each end of the cable in the new position.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Contributor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

@Rustyben - Turning the TV off and on doesn't fix the frozen picture. Only rebooting the X1 box unfreezes it. Does this still sound like an HDMI HDCP handshake issue?

Expert

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

yes but now you have narrowed down the HDCP freeze (no new output) to the x1 box. did you try just disconnecting HDMI and reconnecting it?


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Contributor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

I only tried disconnecting the HDMI cable from the TV's HDMI 1 input and switching it to the HDMI 2 input on the TV which didn't help.

 

It's hard to try out different fixes because the freeze is intermittent and may not happen again for days. I can't replicate the freeze on demand.

 

After the last freeze a few days ago, I swapped the main X1 box with the satellite box and haven't gotten the freeze since then. The main box was switched to a new Samsung TV. The main box had been freezing on my older Samsung 71" DLP TV.  I haven't had the problem with the satellite DVR yet. It even works when the main box is frozen.

 

Could this be an HDCP handshake problem that only happens between the older TV and main X1 box? It hasn't happened yet with the main box and new TV nor the satellite box with either TV. If so, how would I fix it?

Expert

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play


Rik11 wrote:

I only tried disconnecting the HDMI cable from the TV's HDMI 1 input and switching it to the HDMI 2 input on the TV which didn't help.

 

It's hard to try out different fixes because the freeze is intermittent and may not happen again for days. I can't replicate the freeze on demand.

 

After the last freeze a few days ago, I swapped the main X1 box with the satellite box and haven't gotten the freeze since then. The main box was switched to a new Samsung TV. The main box had been freezing on my older Samsung 71" DLP TV.  I haven't had the problem with the satellite DVR yet. It even works when the main box is frozen.

 

Could this be an HDCP handshake problem that only happens between the older TV and main X1 box? It hasn't happened yet with the main box and new TV nor the satellite box with either TV. If so, how would I fix it?


it can happen at any time, just 'nature' of the beast. I often suggest that at the next time the picture freezes but sound is working to swap ends of the HDMI cable which will change the stress tension on the cable ends as well as 'reset' the connectors perhaps making a better connection.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

In one of my previous posts, I asked for the exact model number of your TV which you chose not to provide.

In this post you say that "your main box is connected to an older Samsung DLP". That could easily be the problem here. X1 boxes are not always HDMI compatible with older TV sets.

Yes this is probably an HDCP/HDMI handshake issue. X1 boxes are not predictable when it comes to HDMI connections to older TV sets. You could always get your hands on a Pace V1 DVR which has component outputs. That may be the only fix other than buying a newer TV.



Rik11 wrote:

I only tried disconnecting the HDMI cable from the TV's HDMI 1 input and switching it to the HDMI 2 input on the TV which didn't help.

 

It's hard to try out different fixes because the freeze is intermittent and may not happen again for days. I can't replicate the freeze on demand.

 

After the last freeze a few days ago, I swapped the main X1 box with the satellite box and haven't gotten the freeze since then. The main box was switched to a new Samsung TV. The main box had been freezing on my older Samsung 71" DLP TV.  I haven't had the problem with the satellite DVR yet. It even works when the main box is frozen.

 

Could this be an HDCP handshake problem that only happens between the older TV and main X1 box? It hasn't happened yet with the main box and new TV nor the satellite box with either TV. If so, how would I fix it?








Contributor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

@RickGr4 - The older TV is the Samsung HL-S7178W.

 

Wonder why this TV doesn't have the freezing issue (so far) with the companion box, just with the main X1 DVR. Also, you said that X1 boxes are not always HDMI compatible with older TV sets, but most of the time it works (just freezes intermittently, mostly when switching to a recorded show on the DVR or when first turning on the TV). Everything was working fine until about 6 weeks ago, so why would the HDCP problem just start happening with the same TV that previously had no problem?

 

Just realized that the new Samsung TV would occasionally turn on with the companion box and say there was no signal detected. I would have to click the blue button several times to get a picture to show. Sounds like this may also be an HDCP handshake error, even with the new TV.

 

Also wonder why none of the many techs that have been here has mentioned the possibility of an HDCP handshake problem. You guys seem to know more than they do!

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

I figured out your issue. I peeked at the owners manual for your TV (which you could have done).

Using an HDMI connection your TV will only accept 1080p. But X1 boxes default to 720p when they can't read the EDID table from your TV and establish a handshake.

Sorry but you have a mismatch of components. If you can figure out a way to set your X1 box to 1080p you might have some short term luck. The problem with that is X1 is moving to 720p which would be a big problem for your 1080P only set.




Rik11 wrote:

@RickGr4 - The older TV is the Samsung HL-S7178W.

 

Wonder why this TV doesn't have the freezing issue (so far) with the companion box, just with the main X1 DVR. Also, you said that X1 boxes are not always HDMI compatible with older TV sets, but most of the time it works (just freezes intermittently, mostly when switching to a recorded show on the DVR or when first turning on the TV).

 

You'd think at least one of the many techs that have been here would have mentioned the HDCP handshake problem!






 

Contributor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

I had the X1 box set at 1080i.

 

Just looked at the owner's manual for the TV and it says HDMI in video: 480i,480p,720p,1080i,1080p (EIA/CEA-861-B compliant).

 

Why would X1 go from 1080 down to 720?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Dude,

Feel free to do some reading in this forum. It can be highly entertaining.



Rik11 wrote:

I had the X1 box set at 1080i. I'll try setting it to 1080p. Should I set the box for the new TV at 1080p or 1080i?

Why would X1 go from 1080 down to 720?


 

Contributor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

@RickGR4 - I've been doing plenty of reading in this forum, although I wouldn't necessarily call it highly entertaining. Thanks for your help though. I edited my previously post about the HDMI IN description in the owner's manual.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Let me make this simple for you. You have a big but old TV. X1 boxes have a very questionable history with older TV sets. Comcast is not going to deviate from their "grand plan" to accommodate your old TV set.

You need to find your own fix. Comcast is not going to fix it for you. I suggest you buy a newer/better TV.



Rik11 wrote:

@RickGR4 - I've been doing plenty of reading in this forum, although I wouldn't necessarily call it highly entertaining. Thanks for your help though. I edited my previously post about the HDMI IN description in the owner's manual.









Contributor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

I was thinking of getting a new 4K TV, but if Comcast is now downgrading to 720p, what's the point?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Good question. However there is an answer. I am fortunate to be an owner of a 65" 4K LD OLED TV.

In case you have not read about LG OLED technology, they are probably the best TV sets ever made. My TV is very good at hiding defects in the signal and it might make X1 service look better than it should. 


4K "upscaling" is real. A 4K TV must upscale the image in order to fill the entire screen. During that process, they are usually able to improve the picture quality.

Hopefully Comcast will have a 4k capable box fairly soon...



Rik11 wrote:

I was thinking of getting a new 4K TV, but if Comcast is now downgrading to 720p, what's the point?





Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

I received a replacement X1 box, but the problem has happened twice since I set it up. My TV and receiver are both new. I did not switch out the HDMI cable, however. I will try that next.
New Poster

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

I have this problem too. If it were an hdmi issue I don't it would not behave the way it does. You can still navigate through the menus. You can view your Facebook photos. Everything works. But all it will show for video content is a single frozen image. I don't know the details of hdmi, but I don't think the DVD graphics would constitute a distinct stream from the video.
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Been having the Frozen screen issue since right after Christmas. Had 3 tech visits in last 3 weeks. Techs changed all wiring inside and out. I have a 2008 Sony Bravia tv was thinking it was the TV but I think it's something with the X1 software. Also when it does freeze I don't even get audio. I am able to just change the channel and it resolves the issue but very annoying.
Expert

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play


tstack wrote:
Been having the Frozen screen issue since right after Christmas. Had 3 tech visits in last 3 weeks. Techs changed all wiring inside and out. I have a 2008 Sony Bravia tv was thinking it was the TV but I think it's something with the X1 software. Also when it does freeze I don't even get audio. I am able to just change the channel and it resolves the issue but very annoying.

for diagnosis, does your TV have inputs for component? The issue sounds like many other threads where there is an HDMI security HDCP issue except for the audio (that usually continues to play).


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Yes TV does have component but Arris dvr doesn't and I don't want the Pace Dvr.
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

My issue was fixed after "node inteference" was identified and fixed. This is related to X1 running on an old outside plant infrastructure.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

I had my X1 box replaced, replaced the HDMI cable and different ports...yet it still happens once or twice a week.

Always looks like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJFNTnw3N_E