Community Forum

X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 video freezes, does not respond to remote. Audio continues to play

I am going to have to switch to FIOS. this happens 2 or 3 times a week.
Expert

@Vplus wrote:

anytime audio continues to play while video is frozen it is an HDMI issue (HDCP handshake error encountered). You might try swapping the HDMI cable for the set top box with any other HDMI device in the home and see if the problem follows the cable or stays with the TV and set top box. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Vplus wrote:

anytime audio continues to play while video is frozen it is an HDMI issue (HDCP handshake error encountered). You might try swapping the HDMI cable for the set top box with any other HDMI device in the home and see if the problem follows the cable or stays with the TV and set top box. 

And yet others proclaim it is a "signal issue", while still others say it can be caused by oversubscription in a neighborhood. I have this issue periodically. I have had 4 tech visits recently, all of which confidently proclaimed to me my signal was "fantastic". My HDMI cable is not an issue. When this happens to us, we have to restart the X1 box, and all is well.  It could well be HDMI issues, but I doubt it is very often an HDMI cable issue.

Expert

mpeg works in streams. The video is protected by end to end encryption using mpeg* and HDCP enforces the secure encrypted only connection by causing shut off (what you see as frozen picture) of the video stream. If the signal to the box was bad/missing the audio would not continue. to test just swap the cable while frozen and it is likely that the HDCP issue will reset and your video will again be working.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Good answer Rustyben, the issue that you’re experiencing @MrScott1 and @Vplus is more than likely related to your HDMI having a disconnect in the inner workings of the cable. Please try replacing the cable to resolve the problem. Also please make sure that your cable box is free and clear from any objects sitting on top of it or around it. The equipment needs sufficient air flow to ensure that the box can operate properly. Overheating the cable box can also make the picture on your screen freeze. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastAmir wrote:

Good answer Rustyben, the issue that you’re experiencing @MrScott1 and @Vplus is more than likely related to your HDMI having a disconnect in the inner workings of the cable. Please try replacing the cable to resolve the problem. Also please make sure that your cable box is free and clear from any objects sitting on top of it or around it. The equipment needs sufficient air flow to ensure that the box can operate properly. Overheating the cable box can also make the picture on your screen freeze. 

Uh, no. It is not my HDMI cable. Take a look at my signal levels - they are all over the map. They can be terrific one day and go to pot the next, and back. You have a terrible system in my neighborhood.

Expert

@MrScott1 wrote:

@ComcastAmir wrote:

Uh, no. It is not my HDMI cable. Take a look at my signal levels - they are all over the map. They can be terrific one day and go to pot the next, and back. You have a terrible system in my neighborhood.

if you believe it is signal levels, do call in to 877-896-8678 and select tech support for cable TV. ask them to run an Einstein test and check your cable signals. If all is OK, repeat when you are having problems. 

Diamond Problem Solver

@MrScott1 wrote:

@ComcastAmir wrote:

Took a look at your signal levels and there's something in the house that's affecting your downstream signal levels. Just by comparing the 3 readable devices

DVR = +1db

Modem = -11db

XG2 = -21db

A lot of loss between those devices. Whatever it is, it's affecting the higher frequencies of the docsis channels being used. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

MrScott1,

I have been trying to tell you since the first day that you started posted in this forum that your issues are signal related and you have ignored my advice.

Now, ComcastAndrew has confirmed you have SEVERE signal related problems.

You have not taken the correct steps to resolve this. If the problem is within your house or your yard an onsite Comcast tech should be able to resolve it. If the problem is "within your neighborhood" a Comcast "line crew" should be able to resolve the problem.

@CCAndrew wrote:

@MrScott1 wrote:

@ComcastAmir wrote:

Took a look at your signal levels and there's something in the house that's affecting your downstream signal levels. Just by comparing the 3 readable devices

DVR = +1db

Modem = -11db

XG2 = -21db

A lot of loss between those devices. Whatever it is, it's affecting the higher frequencies of the docsis channels being used. 

Expert
Moved:

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@MrScott1 wrote:

@ComcastAmir wrote:

if you believe it is signal levels, do call in to 877-896-8678 and select tech support for cable TV. ask them to run an Einstein test and check your cable signals. If all is OK, repeat when you are having problems. 

I'll request the "Einstein test". I've had technicians galore out here who claim they don't find anything wrong and insist on changing cable ends every time they visit. Many more, and my cables will be too short to change ends anymore.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Well MrScott1,

My X1 service has worked reliably for over four years and I know why. It would seem yours does not. Did you miss the part where I mentioned "line crew"???

Look man, my X1 cable TV service works perfectly. My Comcast internet service provides me with 235mbps worth of wonderful internet service. My main audio/video system has two 4K sources I have Dolby Atmos up and running. I know why all of these things work properly.

Insult me all you wish. I don't care. My Comcast services work properly and I know why. Yours doesn't. I would be happy to help you solve your issues once you are willing to listen...

Regular Contributor

You cannot solve my Comcast issues where  4 techs across the last month cannot. It will be perfect one day and lousy the next and I'm fed up with people trying to insist it's a house issue. I've had the cable ends changed, the cables themselves, the line buried in the yard on 5 separate occasions. I've had an amp put in the attic, I've had some unidentified "pole work" done, replaced my modem just a few weeks ago and still this system won't reliably work. I don't think you have any magical insight that numerous techs across the last year have not.

Expert

@MrScott1 wrote:

You cannot solve my Comcast issues where  4 techs across the last month cannot. It will be perfect one day and lousy the next and I'm fed up with people trying to insist it's a house issue. I've had the cable ends changed, the cables themselves, the line buried in the yard on 5 separate occasions. I've had an amp put in the attic, I've had some unidentified "pole work" done, replaced my modem just a few weeks ago and still this system won't reliably work. I don't think you have any magical insight that numerous techs across the last year have not.

If the X1 device has a coax out connector, run a short piece of coax (can pick up at the Comcast store if you do not have one available) between the 'to TV' coax connector on your set box to your television. Next time it freezes, switch input (use TV remote) to the coax/antenna jack and see if the video is still running. If it is, then you have proven that the set top box is working but the HDMI video stream was shut down because of HDCP security protocols being violated. Reply back when you were able to test. 

Gold Problem Solver

The test Rusty is suggesting may or may not be valid however you failed to mention that you would need to unplug the HDMI cable and also reboot everything in your system...

@Rustyben wrote:

@MrScott1 wrote:

If the X1 device has a coax out connector, run a short piece of coax (can pick up at the Comcast store if you do not have one available) between the 'to TV' coax connector on your set box to your television. Next time it freezes, switch input (use TV remote) to the coax/antenna jack and see if the video is still running. If it is, then you have proven that the set top box is working but the HDMI video stream was shut down because of HDCP security protocols being violated. Reply back when you were able to test. 

Expert

@RickGr4 wrote:

The test Rusty is suggesting may or may not be valid however he failed to mention that you would need to unplug the HDMI cable and also reboot everything in your system...

@Rustyben wrote:

@MrScott1 wrote:

Rick I've not read anywhere that the coax is ever turned off on X1 equipment. I can't test the theory as I can't trigger an HDCP handshake error. Why not let the customer try it and tell us if it is successful as a test (that is video still running).

Regular Contributor

The problem is well beyond an isolated HDMI cable. All of my satellite boxes are misbehaving in unpredictable ways and my cable modem is showing almost -20dB in the upper channels. Errors are through the roof this morning.

Regular Contributor

So another 3 hours out of work, and technician du-jour tells me the problem is somewhere from the pole drop upstream to Comcast equipment in the neighborhood. 7 of 14 channels failed, -12dB at the pole. 

Why did it take 4 visits to get to this point? That's the thing that just ticks me off to no end. I'm now out 12 hours of work across the last few weeks for this.

Need to mention - the "technician du-jour" was a great guy, super friendly, he deserves a call-out, except I have forgotten his name already.

New Poster

I have the same problem. It occurs when the box is first turned on and the channel is changed or a DVR program is played. It only happens to the main box. I think it's bad boxes. I am swapping this one oit.
Expert

@elrogg wrote:
I have the same problem. It occurs when the box is first turned on and the channel is changed or a DVR program is played. It only happens to the main box. I think it's bad boxes. I am swapping this one oit.

when video freezes but sound goes on, it is an HDMI HDCP handshake error. Usually the set top box reboots to reestablish the HDMI link. You might try next time just powering off the TV for a minute and then turn back on and see if the HDMI handshake is reestablished. 

Regular Contributor

Are tv was a older plasma 8 years old, would freeze up same thing that everyone else is having, now we have a new smart tv, with high end new HDMI cables, does the same thing, even with our 2nd swap out on Comcast DVR.
I just called Comcast, told them about this on Comcast community people having same problem. We freeze 3 times out of a month, just did it last night and today. Comcast gave me a free movie for our trouble, whoopi do do.
Cyber turbo power desktop.Intel 4790k 4.0GHz.GPU-Gigabyte Geforce 1060 Windforce OC 6GB-Notebook dv6225us AMD Turion 64X2 2GB Go6150 GPU Vista Home Premuim
Regular Contributor

Are tv was a older plasma 8 years old, would freeze up same thing that everyone else is having, now we have a new smart tv, with high end new HDMI cables, does the same thing, even with our 2nd swap out on Comcast DVR.
I just called Comcast, told them about this on Comcast community people having same problem. We freeze 3 times out of a month, just did it last night and today. Comcast gave me a free movie for our trouble, whoopi do do.
Cyber turbo power desktop.Intel 4790k 4.0GHz.GPU-Gigabyte Geforce 1060 Windforce OC 6GB-Notebook dv6225us AMD Turion 64X2 2GB Go6150 GPU Vista Home Premuim
Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

Gold Problem Solver

Extech,

If you read the posts about freezing then you should have realized that it often an on-site signal problem that is related to bad connections and wiring interfering with signals.

If you are unfamiliar with troubleshooting this sort of thing, have Comcast send a tech out to investigate.

Regular Contributor

I known about it for some time, and of a on going site problem in the forum, I was just stating the problem still exist, airing my differences out, and it still exist whether it is a old or new TV.
Yes! I have had a number of tech's. out here at my house and they still don't know what the problem is they said my system is okay it has to be some where outside on the pole(s) or who knows where, my last DVR was swapped a few months ago, still same problem, never had the problem before I got the X1 2 years or more. I read At&T some are having similar problems of screen freezing too.
So now the Comcast agent I just called made official notes on the Freezing problem, he said they and supervisor will look into it.
Agent believe it or not this was the 1st time he has head of the freezing problem, he said if no one reports it, then Comcast would not beware of the problem. I told him, read the Comcast Community posts, but he and tech's don't sit around reading post unless some one or others call Comcast to generate a tag on problem(s).
We have been with this cable company since 1978, before it was Comcast. No complaints on their support for all there's years, however when they have something and they can't fix it they don't know what to do. I told the agent, give us a credit for something we are paying for and they can't fix the problem yet at least ours, so he said, I will give you a free movie Whoopi do.
Regular Contributor

And yes I am Familiar of what to do and not to do on problems like this so we exhausted ourselves about trying to solve if it is on our side, and it is not us, so now it's up to Comcast again.
Gold Problem Solver

In my four + years experience with X1, pixeling or tiling is an incoming signal problem and freezing is an outgoing signal problem.

When I first got X1 I had issues with freezing and sluggish X1 service. It ended up that the RF signal booster had installed a couple years before was not the right type for X1. Once I replaced the booster with one that was more designed for X1, my service has been trouble free.

@Extech wrote:
I known about it for some time, and of a on going site problem in the forum, I was just stating the problem still exist, airing my differences out, and it still exist whether it is a old or new TV.
Yes! I have had a number of tech's. out here at my house and they still don't know what the problem is they said my system is okay it has to be some where outside on the pole(s) or who knows where, my last DVR was swapped a few months ago, still same problem, never had the problem before I got the X1 2 years or more. I read At&T some are having similar problems of screen freezing too.
So now the Comcast agent I just called made official notes on the Freezing problem, he said they and supervisor will look into it.
Agent believe it or not this was the 1st time he has head of the freezing problem, he said if no one reports it, then Comcast would not beware of the problem. I told him, read the Comcast Community posts, but he and tech's don't sit around reading post unless some one or others call Comcast to generate a tag on problem(s).
We have been with this cable company since 1978, before it was Comcast. No complaints on their support for all there's years, however when they have something and they can't fix it they don't know what to do. I told the agent, give us a credit for something we are paying for and they can't fix the problem yet at least ours, so he said, I will give you a free movie Whoopi do.

Regular Contributor

This last tech. that was out to our house DVR we only had a few months he found that there was a filter in between the DVR and the line coming in, he said this is not supposed to be here, he asked me, who put this in, I said the Tech. before you, you said there is only supposed to have one outside the box, so he removed that filter and it's solved one or other problems that no one knew how to solve it except for this one Tech.Funny, but wasting time for us to have another person come out and switch a box out, but lucky we got that box swapped out or he would have never discovered that other filter.
I tell you one thing of all the years we've had the cable company since we swapped out with a new X1 a few years ago never seen so many problems and had so many Technician out at our house within one year, we've had three technician out all in one day scratching their heads about some other problem but somehow that problem resolved itself, they were still scratching their heads, oh well!
Regular Contributor

Hey RickGr4, on the booster, are you referring to the PCC EVO 1-5? If you are there is one hooked up to my Comcast system, have tv, phone, and Internet, do not have any Comcast top boxes just one DVR -TV hooked up in the system.
Yep! Having a tech. coming out tomorrow to check our signals, we did have a big mass black out yesterday, after the black out few hrs.after the TV did it's freezing problem again, agent today said, best to check signals with us anyway with the mass black out they had.
I'll let you know what if they find anything wrong. Thanks
Oh! our neighbor just told me they have the same thing happens to them too!
Regular Contributor

Anyone one the PCC info.
Gold Problem Solver

That is the correct amp for X1, assuming everything is connected properly.

FYI, in an X1 installation all devices must be connected to the output (downstream) side of the amp. Any devices connected to the input (upstream) side of the amp would be blocked from seeing critical X1 signals.

@Extech wrote:
Anyone one the PCC info.

Regular Contributor

Thank you RickGr4
Regular Contributor

Had Comcast Technician, Jayson here at the house. The PCC EVO 1-5 was hooked up the right way. The minute I told Jayson that there was a filter between of the cable and X1, other tech. before him removed it, said only one to be in the box outside.Then Jayson chimed in, he said where is your PCC, I said in the garage, he said he knows what's wrong, the filter is to be between of the cable and the input of the PCC. I told him, I wish all you technician would get it right way. He said, Jayson, this is the right. He left his phone # for what ever.
Well! we will see what happens.
That away Jayson, Yahoo!
Regular Contributor

Rick, you got good test too! see you own a beautiful LG OLED 65" smart TV
We got ours too C7P 65" We love it! Enjoying it big time!
Regular Contributor

Hey Rick, just off the subject, I see you have good taste, you have the LG OLD 65".
We got one too! LG OLED 4K C7P 65" Got it in July.
We love it, beautiful! Enjoy!
Gold Problem Solver

I am aware than many people follow my comments in this forum. Most people agree with me, a small handful don't.

I make my living in the audio/video industry. I can buy any product or any brand at a substantial discount. I chose to spend my hard earned money on an LG OLED. This product is on another level. In my opinion it is the best TV ever made. I am fortunate to own one.

But that introduces a fairly big problem. 99% of the people posting in this forum have a lesser TV set. The only competition for LG OLED is Sony OLED and they buy their OLED panels from LG.

Most people posting on this forum cannot see what OLED owners see so comparisons are impossible.

Hopefully.... someday.... Comcast may figure out a way to support users that own high end AV products...

Regular Contributor

Yep! Your right agree.
I read that awhile back about LG panels making it for others.
Your right! Best of Best TV.
You should of seen Jayson the Comcast tech's. mouth when he saw our LG, had to pick up his mouth from the floor.
Then I kicked in the 4K on YouTube to the LG, his eyeballs got real big.
Good talking to you Rick, thanks for the technical help. Have a great Christmas!
New Poster

Thank you for finally finding the culprit, I’ve seen all these claims of Old TVs etc...yet I have had same exact issue with brand new Bravia 4K, x1 box set to max resolution, AND it’s connected through a high speed hdmi connected to tv through Xbox one x. It cannot be a resolution or Old tech issue at all on other products, it has to be an xfonoty software or hardware issue.
New Poster

I have been having this same problem, intermittently, since last summer. Not one tech support or field service worker has been able to find the cause. Call center folks say either I need a pre-amp or I don't, field techs say my signal is plenty strong so I don't need a pre-amp, they haul their supervisors out to the house to take a look and replace the X1 DVR box--to no avail. Call center folks say they will "escalate" the issue and DEFINTELY have their supervisor call me the next day--and no call ever comes. Today I was told the supervisor assigned to my case has been "out of the office" for the last two days, but no explaination as to why they didn't call back five days ago when I started calling tech support on a daily basis to try to get an answer. Is the company's strategy to simply ignore this (aparently widespread) issue and hope we'll go away? Some kind of answer, even if it's a simple admission that "we don't know what the problem is" would be something. To put some frosting on the cake I was also told I can't get a pro-rated rebate on my $200+ monthly bill until the problem is fixed! Hello Catch-22. The latest is that "Alan", the supervisor, will be back in the office--it's just that no one knows when. Sigh...

Expert

@TedReed wrote:

I have been having this same problem, intermittently, since last summer. Not one tech support or field service worker has been able to find the cause. Call center folks say either I need a pre-amp or I don't, field techs say my signal is plenty strong so I don't need a pre-amp, they haul their supervisors out to the house to take a look and replace the X1 DVR box--to no avail. Call center folks say they will "escalate" the issue and DEFINTELY have their supervisor call me the next day--and no call ever comes. Today I was told the supervisor assigned to my case has been "out of the office" for the last two days, but no explaination as to why they didn't call back five days ago when I started calling tech support on a daily basis to try to get an answer. Is the company's strategy to simply ignore this (aparently widespread) issue and hope we'll go away? Some kind of answer, even if it's a simple admission that "we don't know what the problem is" would be something. To put some frosting on the cake I was also told I can't get a pro-rated rebate on my $200+ monthly bill until the problem is fixed! Hello Catch-22. The latest is that "Alan", the supervisor, will be back in the office--it's just that no one knows when. Sigh...

next time it happens unplug the HDMI cable from the cable set top box for 30 seconds or so (be sure to remember which jack it is so you can plug the cable into the correct socket. did video resume?

Frequent Visitor

Rusty,  I've been having this problem intermittently since Dec 2016.  XFinity support act like they don't know the cause. Signal strength is excellent according tot he DVR's test ability.   I've found that when I reboot the X1 (about a 6 minute process) that fixes the issue until the next time.  There is a software issue that Comcast is not willing to locate and fix.  Frustrating enough that it will soon cause me to cut the cable entirely. Smiley Sad 

Expert

@gtreiber wrote:

Rusty,  I've been having this problem intermittently since Dec 2016.  XFinity support act like they don't know the cause. Signal strength is excellent according tot he DVR's test ability.   I've found that when I reboot the X1 (about a 6 minute process) that fixes the issue until the next time.  There is a software issue that Comcast is not willing to locate and fix.  Frustrating enough that it will soon cause me to cut the cable entirely. Smiley Sad 

when frozen see the request for a test a few posts up from me.

Contributor

I just upgraded to X1 last Thursday and have had the freezing image problem happen twice already. A Comcast tech (a contractor, I think) did the entire installation of a modem (XB3) and 2 XG1 DVRs.  He rang out all the cable lines, replaced most if not all connectors involved, added Moca filters, removed several splitters that he deemed unnecessary, and probably did a bunch of other stuff that I'm not aware of.  My internet connection has been rock-solid and faster than the plan calls for, so yea to that!

I've read through this thread and it's still not clear to me if the root cause of this problem is poor RF signal quality or bad HDMI cables.

If it's a bad HDMI cable I can see how that would freeze up just the video but leave the audio alone (as in my case), but I don't see how it can freeze up the image of just the TV program while the text and images created by the cable box/DVR for it's various menus can still come through unaffected (again, as in my case).

Can someone please enlighten me about this? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I really want to know.

The next time it freezes I'll try to unplug the HDMI cable, as suggested by Rustyben above.

Contributor

I have same problem as stated by thread starter. I've had a tech out who was po'd he came for nothing he said as my signal levels were "the best he ever saw". My problem started after the last major X1 update that added the NPR app. It is not a HDMI cable as a system refresh might reach 1 out of 4 of my TV's and the refresh is tried multiple ways...my Comcast app, XFi app, via any of 4 TV's in settings app.....I have to unplug every cable box when my 4 Comcast x1 boxes stop communicating with each other. Happens once a week usually but sometimes more. I can tell when it's going to happen as my system refreshed for each box are set to 5am and I am awake. If a tv doesn't do a nightly update I know soon, in a couple days at most, my TV's will lock up(1or 2 TV's) and not respond until I unplug.<br>It is no way associated with an HDMI cable.
Expert

@Neverendingmods wrote:
I have same problem as stated by thread starter. I've had a tech out who was po'd he came for nothing he said as my signal levels were "the best he ever saw". My problem started after the last major X1 update that added the NPR app. It is not a HDMI cable as a system refresh might reach 1 out of 4 of my TV's and the refresh is tried multiple ways...my Comcast app, XFi app, via any of 4 TV's in settings app.....I have to unplug every cable box when my 4 Comcast x1 boxes stop communicating with each other. Happens once a week usually but sometimes more. I can tell when it's going to happen as my system refreshed for each box are set to 5am and I am awake. If a tv doesn't do a nightly update I know soon, in a couple days at most, my TV's will lock up(1or 2 TV's) and not respond until I unplug.<br>It is no way associated with an HDMI cable.

if the video freezes (stays on screen) but sound continues it is an HDCP handshake issue. the HDCP must be disconnected for a few seconds then reconnected to reestablish the connection with the device. if you unplug the HDMI cable from back of the cable set top box, be sure to get it back into the same (correct) HDMI socket.

Contributor

Ok, my video froze up today.

Audio continued just fine, and I was able to access various menus using the XFinity button on my X15 remote.

To correct the freeze issue I followed these steps:

1. I unplugged the HDMI cable for 30 secs.  No effect... video still frozen.

2. I turned the power off for 30 secs using the blue button on the front panel. No effect.

3. I unplugged the unit for 30 secs.  Success!

Could this simply be a bad box?

Expert

@jmr1959 wrote:

Ok, my video froze up today.

Audio continued just fine, and I was able to access various menus using the XFinity button on my X15 remote.

To correct the freeze issue I followed these steps:

1. I unplugged the HDMI cable for 30 secs.  No effect... video still frozen.

2. I turned the power off for 30 secs using the blue button on the front panel. No effect.

3. I unplugged the unit for 30 secs.  Success!

Could this simply be a bad box? 

possibly. i'd check the 'about' screen on the set top box and be sure XRE (top of screen) is at 86.1.0 or later and STB version is 2.14p18s4 or later. and check TV firmware menu for an update.

Contributor

My 'XRE' (top of screen) is 86.1.1.

My STB version is AX013AN_3.0p9s1_PROD_sey. I have an XG1-A box.

Still working on checking the TV firmware. It's a 7 year old Sharp, and I'm having trouble finding their firmware update site. Will try again later, maybe.

Fyi, I'm not cabled directly to the TV.  I go through a Sony AV receiver model STR-DH800.

I have rather old equipment, I know, but this freezing problem didn't start happening until 2 days after I upgraded to X1 and replaced my old 2-tuner DVR, 2 weeks ago today.

Edit:

My 'XRE' (top of screen) is 86.1.0.

Contributor

@jmr1959 wrote:

My 'XRE' (top of screen) is 86.1.1.

My STB version is AX013AN_3.0p9s1_PROD_sey. I have an XG1-A box.

Still working on checking the TV firmware. It's a 7 year old Sharp, and I'm having trouble finding their firmware update site. Will try again later, maybe.

Fyi, I'm not cabled directly to the TV.  I go through a Sony AV receiver model STR-DH800.

I have rather old equipment, I know, but this freezing problem didn't start happening until 2 days after I upgraded to X1 and replaced my old 2-tuner DVR, 2 weeks ago today.

Edit:

My 'XRE' (top of screen) is 86.1.0.

Just as an update, I swapped my two boxes (the XG1-A and an XG1-P) between the family room and the living room over two weeks ago and neither box has experienced a freeze since. I only moved the boxes, not the cables.